Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Canada > Canada - Toronto & Southern Ont. > Birthplace of TranceAddict
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
endless_summer
Supreme tranceaddict

Birthplace of TranceAddict

I am sure I heard TA has been around for about 6 years. I would really like to know more about it's history.
Can anyone share? How and where did it start?
Any highlights?
If there is a thread about it please point me in that direction coz I didnt really dig deep.

TY

Old Post Sep-06-2006 03:39  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for endless_summer Click here to Send endless_summer a Private Message Add endless_summer to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
dEsidEL
Fu Man Choonz

it's roots lie in the warez days.

but seriously, if you're really interested, head over to www.archive.org and take a spin back to circa 1999. (TA server may block the robots tho but check anyway.) the existing messageboard that you see today was started up in 2000 and only consisted of 3 regional forums if my memory serves me right (UK, Holland, and Toronto). General and Music forums were of course available as well. Prior to this it was operated on an older messageboard platform called Bravenet which used the old fashion threadding method to display posts.

The site was also a lot more content driven back then too.. then Swamper discovered girls, got lazy, and pretty much let the board run itself..

Old Post Sep-06-2006 03:46  Micronesia-Federal State of
Click Here to See the Profile for dEsidEL Click here to Send dEsidEL a Private Message Add dEsidEL to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
chinamon
el shit disturbo

it started when swamper wanted to create a small trance community back in 1999 (i think that was the year). he was having trouble coming up with a name, one of them being swamptrance.com. lol
he eventually came up with tranceaddict and the name just flowed. now everyone seems to be making somethingaddict sites. i know that imitation is the best form of flattery but cant people use their imagination for once?

Old Post Sep-06-2006 03:47 
Click Here to See the Profile for chinamon Click here to Send chinamon a Private Message Add chinamon to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Ni-Cd
Supreme tranceaddict

i'm very impressed with the content of this board; it has formed a huge (international) community and has a lot of dedicated members. Six years...wow, that's some good leg time alright. Sorta reminds me way back in the day when i'd dial into a BBS that only had one modem to post things on the message board. Man, thankfully the internet came around...i couldn't imagine discovering trance and house music without boards like these to fill in the (large) gaps that popular culture creates.

Old Post Sep-06-2006 03:53  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Ni-Cd Click here to Send Ni-Cd a Private Message Add Ni-Cd to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
dallastar
~Dance~Sing~Floss~Travel~

I don't really know the actual history of TA, but this is an old poster from WEMF 2002 (?) I think...

Treat people as if they are what they ought to be and you may help them to become what they are capable of being.

Old Post Sep-06-2006 03:54  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for dallastar Click here to Send dallastar a Private Message Visit dallastar's homepage! Add dallastar to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Abercrombie
myspace.com/ashesband

quote:
Originally posted by Ni-Cd
i'm very impressed with the content of this board; it has formed a huge (international) community and has a lot of dedicated members. Six years...wow, that's some good leg time alright. Sorta reminds me way back in the day when i'd dial into a BBS that only had one modem to post things on the message board. Man, thankfully the internet came around...i couldn't imagine discovering trance and house music without boards like these to fill in the (large) gaps that popular culture creates.

You're old!

j/k Maximus ruled!

Short time TA, Long time Guver, Good time giver.

Old Post Sep-06-2006 03:56  Algeria
Click Here to See the Profile for Abercrombie Click here to Send Abercrombie a Private Message Add Abercrombie to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Ni-Cd
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Abercrombie
You're old!

j/k Maximus ruled!

Abercrombie: hahaha... yeah, i'm old. I got my first 2400 baud modem when i was eight... [*cough* geek *cough*]. I still remember getting the latest video game one 1.44mb disk at a time from some board, tying up the dude's modem for like, three days. :P What a waste of time!! Things are still slow on the world wide wait, but still light years beyond what we started with. Anyone remember the games on those things? Anyways, back to the topic at hand...

Chinamon: Agreed, other ppl using the word 'addict' to describe their site are unoriginal...hey...wait a minute *chks t-shirt*

So Swamper created the board; does he still maintain it today? where's it based out of?

Old Post Sep-06-2006 04:05  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Ni-Cd Click here to Send Ni-Cd a Private Message Add Ni-Cd to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
endless_summer
Supreme tranceaddict

is swamper from TO

Old Post Sep-06-2006 04:15  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for endless_summer Click here to Send endless_summer a Private Message Add endless_summer to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
dEsidEL
Fu Man Choonz

quote:
Originally posted by endless_summer
is swamper from TO

Swamper is a byproduct of York University and Little Portugal, but his power is worldly.. he also wears black leprechaun shoes

Old Post Sep-06-2006 04:29  Micronesia-Federal State of
Click Here to See the Profile for dEsidEL Click here to Send dEsidEL a Private Message Add dEsidEL to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
E2EK1EL
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by endless_summer
is swamper from TO

BINGO. Swamper is the oginal nutta!

Old Post Sep-06-2006 04:30  China
Click Here to See the Profile for E2EK1EL Click here to Send E2EK1EL a Private Message Add E2EK1EL to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
endless_summer
Supreme tranceaddict

Thanks for the input all!

I've tried internetarchive and had no luck there.

Old Post Sep-06-2006 04:31  Canada
monishb
Transformed

well it started what seemed like a handful of people whom i met many many years ago. Today its much diffrent.

Old Post Sep-06-2006 05:14  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for monishb Click here to Send monishb a Private Message Add monishb to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Canada > Canada - Toronto & Southern Ont. > Birthplace of TranceAddict
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (6): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackID Help [2007] [3]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackL.S.G. - Risin' (Pads Mix) [2002]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread