Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > The "talk about your last night out" thread
Pages (40): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Big Worm
Supreme tranceaddict

Had a chance to see Beardyman last night at the Brighton Music Hall. The guy destroyed it. I hadn't really heard of him but man, I would recommend seeing him if you get the chance.

He's a spectacle really.

Last edited by Big Worm on Mar-05-2015 at 16:40

Old Post Mar-05-2015 16:32  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Big Worm Click here to Send Big Worm a Private Message Add Big Worm to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

Had a very nostalgic night out in Manchester last night. First of all saw Underworld perform their entire Dubnobasswithmyheadman album live at the Albert Hall, which is an absolutely stunning baroque room (Google it). I was expecting them to do more "live" renditions but they pretty much played the album note-for-note from start to finish. They also did an encore of Rez, Bigmouth and (of course) Born Slippy, and these tracks felt more like live versions with some alterations. The crowd reaction to Cowgirl in particular was absolutely incredible.

After that we hopped across town to see Red Jerry play a rare Hooj Choons set as part of a trance classics night called Plasma Future. I got inside the club and the first track to come out the speakers was Breeder - The Chain. Fuck me. As much as you listen to the classics at home, it's only when you hear them in a club you really understand them. That track is almost like a techno record, all the energy is created by the absolutely pounding kick drum, and those trademark Breeder electronic explosions just rip your head in two.

Red Jerry came on and pretty much played the exact selection of Hooj tracks I'd want - all the dark, stompy prog stuff. Halo Varga - Future!, West On 27th, Stage One, the Quivver remix of Sacred Cycles... Need I say more? He also played Xpander in full - the first time I've ever heard a DJ play the whole goddamn thing. Of course I've heard Xpander a thousand times but this was the first time I've ever heard it on a really good soundsystem on a part of the floor really catching the bass, and it was a revelation. I've always thought Xpander was a bit ploddy personally, but in a club the bassline is so fucking fat and well engineered it gives the track all the drive you don't get at home.

Red Jerry's mixing was nothing to shout out - a little rough in places and not doing much more than stringing the tracks together, but when you're stringing monster prog classics one after the other, you don't really need much else. Also standing out slightly in his set was the Christian Smith remix of Carl Craig - At Les. I suppose the original is a classic (although really one that a trance crowd would know?) and I do love that remix so I can't complain.

I can complain about the rest of the night though, because from then on it rapidly descended into mid-rangey rolling-bass bosh trance with no groove or swing to it whatsoever. One of the guys from Nu-NRG played a producer set and I called it a night soon after he came on.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Mar-14-2015 13:56  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list SYSTEM-J is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lews
Platipus And Prog Addict

Damn, I saw you going to that Red Jerry set on FB and figured it would be great. Really wanted to make it out there, but there is just no way I can leave London right now. Have any of the main-attraction DJs at Plasma Future disappointed, yet?

Old Post Mar-14-2015 14:31 
Click Here to See the Profile for Lews Click here to Send Lews a Private Message Add Lews to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

I've only been to a couple of their nights. Obviously you know that Oliver Lieb did the business.

EDIT: Just looked on Youtube for any clips from the Underworld gig to show you what the venue/crowd was like, and found one that was filmed about five feet behind me. Pretty sure you can see me in the bottom right of the picture at a few points.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Last edited by SYSTEM-J on Mar-14-2015 at 15:24

Old Post Mar-14-2015 15:17  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list SYSTEM-J is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
enydo
~

Damn that sounds like a fun night.

Old Post Mar-14-2015 16:29 
Click Here to See the Profile for enydo Click here to Send enydo a Private Message Add enydo to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
evo8
Virtual Wannabe

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
Had a very nostalgic night out in Manchester last night. First of all saw Underworld perform their entire Dubnobasswithmyheadman album live at the Albert Hall, which is an absolutely stunning baroque room (Google it). I was expecting them to do more "live" renditions but they pretty much played the album note-for-note from start to finish. They also did an encore of Rez, Bigmouth and (of course) Born Slippy, and these tracks felt more like live versions with some alterations. The crowd reaction to Cowgirl in particular was absolutely incredible.

After that we hopped across town to see Red Jerry play a rare Hooj Choons set as part of a trance classics night called Plasma Future. I got inside the club and the first track to come out the speakers was Breeder - The Chain. Fuck me. As much as you listen to the classics at home, it's only when you hear them in a club you really understand them. That track is almost like a techno record, all the energy is created by the absolutely pounding kick drum, and those trademark Breeder electronic explosions just rip your head in two.

Red Jerry came on and pretty much played the exact selection of Hooj tracks I'd want - all the dark, stompy prog stuff. Halo Varga - Future!, West On 27th, Stage One, the Quivver remix of Sacred Cycles... Need I say more? He also played Xpander in full - the first time I've ever heard a DJ play the whole goddamn thing. Of course I've heard Xpander a thousand times but this was the first time I've ever heard it on a really good soundsystem on a part of the floor really catching the bass, and it was a revelation. I've always thought Xpander was a bit ploddy personally, but in a club the bassline is so fucking fat and well engineered it gives the track all the drive you don't get at home.

Red Jerry's mixing was nothing to shout out - a little rough in places and not doing much more than stringing the tracks together, but when you're stringing monster prog classics one after the other, you don't really need much else. Also standing out slightly in his set was the Christian Smith remix of Carl Craig - At Les. I suppose the original is a classic (although really one that a trance crowd would know?) and I do love that remix so I can't complain.

I can complain about the rest of the night though, because from then on it rapidly descended into mid-rangey rolling-bass bosh trance with no groove or swing to it whatsoever. One of the guys from Nu-NRG played a producer set and I called it a night soon after he came on.

lucky bastard sounds like a great night

i went to see Len Faki - a brilliant first hour followed by a not so brilliant second hour - every dj i go to lately seems to follow this pattern

Old Post Mar-14-2015 23:58  Ireland
Click Here to See the Profile for evo8 Click here to Send evo8 a Private Message Visit evo8's homepage! Add evo8 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Sushipunk
Flickering, I roam

quote:
I got inside the club and the first track to come out the speakers was Breeder - The Chain. Fuck me. As much as you listen to the classics at home, it's only when you hear them in a club you really understand them. That track is almost like a techno record, all the energy is created by the absolutely pounding kick drum, and those trademark Breeder electronic explosions just rip your head in two.

Oh god yes. The fucking build in that track is just so immense. It's been a very, very long time since I've heard that inside a club, but I know exactly what you mean. Epic night there, mate.

Old Post Mar-15-2015 00:09  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for Sushipunk Click here to Send Sushipunk a Private Message Visit Sushipunk's homepage! Add Sushipunk to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mattsanity
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:

I want to be british in the next life

Old Post Mar-15-2015 01:31  South Korea
Click Here to See the Profile for Mattsanity Click here to Send Mattsanity a Private Message Add Mattsanity to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
planetaryplayer
Surpeme traineanddict

toronto res: len faki was playing - went to see him. party cut shut down by the city fire dpt. this was at around 1 am local time. now its 4, not really drunk not really sober. don't want to be in my bed. i ate a lot of shawarma. life is not so bad

Old Post Mar-15-2015 08:18  Norfolk Island
Click Here to See the Profile for planetaryplayer Click here to Send planetaryplayer a Private Message Add planetaryplayer to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Woony
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by evo8
i went to see Len Faki - a brilliant first hour followed by a not so brilliant second hour - every dj i go to lately seems to follow this pattern

I'm not sure if I've ever heard Len Faki play a brilliant hour

Old Post Mar-15-2015 15:08 
Click Here to See the Profile for Woony Click here to Send Woony a Private Message Add Woony to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DanceFloorPoet
Dance Floor Poet

quote:
I've only been to a couple of their nights. Obviously you know that Oliver Lieb did the business.

EDIT: Just looked on Youtube for any clips from the Underworld gig to show you what the venue/crowd was like, and found one that was filmed about five feet behind me. Pretty sure you can see me in the bottom right of the picture at a few points.

That's a fucking epic video. Really high quality too I'm impressed. Jealous.

Old Post Mar-15-2015 16:10  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for DanceFloorPoet Click here to Send DanceFloorPoet a Private Message Add DanceFloorPoet to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DanceFloorPoet
Dance Floor Poet

Saw Thugfu-cker play for a few hours in Philly on Friday at Hacienda here in Philly. Boring Life & Death tech house set. Would not recommend seeing them.

Old Post Mar-15-2015 16:13  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for DanceFloorPoet Click here to Send DanceFloorPoet a Private Message Add DanceFloorPoet to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > The "talk about your last night out" thread
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (40): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playback(Sample Inside) [2004] [1]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackHigh Fidelity - "No Good to Me" (Original Mix) [2002]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread