Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > Music Production FAQ
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
DigiNut
You kids get off my lawn!

I'm not sure what gave you the idea that I'm oblivious to marketing and economics... it's odd how people think they are able to infer so much about a person from reading a few of their online posts. I understand very well about those topics, better than you realize and better than most people I meet - but the suggestion that the price of equipment isn't related *at all* to quality is a bit far-fetched. Variances between products within a similar price range may not always account for the variances in quality, but studio monitors in the $200 range are not going to be as good as those in the $800 range.

That's not to suggest that people should turn their brains off and just buy whatever has the highest figure attached to it, but if something is incredibly cheap, there's probably a good reason for that, and the reason is not usually positive. Cases like the PS2 being initially underpriced aren't the rule, they're the exceptions. People shouldn't buy solely based on price, but they should always compare those items which appear to be "great deals" with the higher-priced items and see exactly what's lacking, if anything, and decide whether or not it may be important to them either now or in the future.

Anyway, I don't think it's necessary to start a whole sub-discussion on this, seeing as how this is certainly not something that repeats "throughout" the FAQ - I've mentioned this connection once or twice and each time qualified it with the necessity to actually do research and become educated on the issue. So let's please not argue in this thread and make it useless for the newbs - if you think something is inaccurate or misleading then please PM me with your complaint, and if you can make a reasonable case for it, I'll edit the thread accordingly.

2012-11-32 - DJ Insufferable ɸ Or At Least the Stalkers I Complain About
2048-06-66 - Spastic & Whocares Although I'm Actually Flattered
9999-45-81 - Tweaker Gimp I Probably Won't Even Go To This But I Have To Make Sure I Fill Up All The Available Space Here

Old Post Jan-31-2006 00:04  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for DigiNut Click here to Send DigiNut a Private Message Add DigiNut to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
peejunk
Junior tranceaddict

It wasn't meant to be an ad hominen aimed at you. But it still stands, to REALLY beleve it you'd need to NOT know how prices are formed, or if you do know, to disregard that knowledge.

My wording may have also been unprecise since somehow you got the idea that I say that prices cannot be afected by product quality, which I didn't. Using quality materials in production raises price. Investing more R&D manhours raises price. Being confident in the quality of your product makes you confident in a bigger asking price.

But the price does not _have to_ reflect quality (i.e. you cannot rely that it does on the price alone). As you can have price raised by materials and R&D (and then, there is the issue of price of both varying gobally, especially the price of skilled labor) on one side, you can get it raised by investment in marketing on the other. Or you can have a brand name that gives you confidence to sell at a bigger price and with a larger profit margin.. and you will. So while correlation between price and quality can and does exist, it's not closely correlated by a long shot.

The actual situation on the market is not nearly as simple as you suggest with that monitor pricerange comparison. Some thing are sold way below what they're worth. In the active monitor market Wharfedale Diamond Pro Active family is a clear example of a product that simply doesen't have the name it takes to place itself on a proper price spot in the targeted market, even with Whafedale being relatively respected name in home audiophile circles.

So, I really beleive that a (missleading) remark like that has no place in a FAQ. Actually editing it out wouldn't make your FAQ one bit less informative.

Old Post Jan-31-2006 18:14  Bosnia and Herzegovina
Click Here to See the Profile for peejunk Click here to Send peejunk a Private Message Add peejunk to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
ti_gui909
Junior tranceaddict

Wink

Thank you

I'm gonna check those tutorial.

there's so much a lazy guy like me can learn on his own

Old Post Feb-02-2006 23:25  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for ti_gui909 Click here to Send ti_gui909 a Private Message Add ti_gui909 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Tech0rz
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Coogo
Jessica Alba In Anal Action Movie!
http://Jessica-Alba-In-Anal-Action-...hp?movie=156301

Is this coming out at the cinema anytime soon?

Old Post Feb-15-2007 11:56  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for Tech0rz Click here to Send Tech0rz a Private Message Add Tech0rz to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ Llamasoap
tranceaddict in training

all nubz! tr00 tranceaddicts use only zeta+!

Old Post Nov-25-2008 15:13  Azerbaijan
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ Llamasoap Click here to Send DJ Llamasoap a Private Message Add DJ Llamasoap to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
wrzonance
Moon

Diginut,

Any plans on updating the FAQ to represent current technology? The bit about AMD vs Intel is a bit outdated since all modern Intel processors are 64bit.

That's all!

Wish more newbies would check out the FAQ... I don't hang around here much anymore because most of the threads are just dupes of easily searched terms, *cough* mastering *cough*

---Adam Wrzeski

Old Post Feb-11-2009 22:40  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for wrzonance Click here to Send wrzonance a Private Message Visit wrzonance's homepage! Add wrzonance to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
aNYthing
Abrasive Cockhead @ Large

quote:
4. Does anyone have an invite to [audionews/audiofarm/some other well-known warez/bootleg site?]
Most people would expect this to be covered by #3, but some people seem to think that there's some sort of subtle difference. There isn't - just as members here don't distribute illegal items, they also don't disseminate information on how or where to obtain them.

I lol'd at this one... isn't referencing those sites considered dissemination of info? I never even heard of them before reading this FAQ

Old Post Jun-16-2011 03:04 
Click Here to See the Profile for aNYthing Click here to Send aNYthing a Private Message Add aNYthing to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
P-Shot
tranceaddict in training

Monkey Dancer 2

lol, great faq

Old Post Aug-17-2011 15:19  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for P-Shot Click here to Send P-Shot a Private Message Add P-Shot to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Evolve140
Only Sidechaining a Bit

It would be nice if more people read this thread.

Old Post Jan-19-2013 07:43 
Click Here to See the Profile for Evolve140 Click here to Send Evolve140 a Private Message Add Evolve140 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > Music Production FAQ
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (2): « 1 [2]  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playback2004 prog house tune [2006] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackTerra & One - Taiyou [2007]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread