Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > how many of us are actually trying to make it here?
Pages (5): « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
DJ Robby Rox
Longterm Newbie

Well you don't have to "make it" in music to make money in music thats my opinion.

I took a vacation from these forums for about 6 months and haven't been doing anything in music at all. Have never stopped producing like this in my life.

The good side however is I got deeply involved in marketing. I realized in order to make money in virtually anything, you MUST know and understand how to make a marketable product, moreso then being the best at what you do.

I think theres a lot of smart guys on this forum where if they just thought outside the box, and approached things differently, they could probably make a living just teaching newbies how to get started.

I started my own business about 6 months ago, have already purchased a new home and I don't know a lot about marketing. I was blown away by how easy it was to open up my own business, once I knew just the basics of how to market myself. What really triggers peoples emotions and all. Now I sell marketing to local business's, am as big a newbie as you can be, but I'm wondering how I can apply marketing to music as I'm making a pretty decent living now.

I'm not talking about marketing yourself on radio or direct mail or anything like that. I'm talking more about how you find a starving crowd, and give them exactly what they need.

You want to make money in music?

Start frequenting as many music forums as you can. Learn what most people are complaining about, what most people REALLY want a solution for. Maybe its a different way of making tutorials so people can learn easier. Maybe its making sound packs that contain truely unique sounds that you can't get anywhere else. Learn the problems that producers face. Build a product that will help them save time and money, and if you just create strong value like that, you CAN make money in music imo.

In fact just because this business has turned out to be successful, soon I will be releasing a service/product for music too. What I'm going to do is cold call as many pro trance producers as I can, and negotiate to buy quality project files from them that were never released for w/e reason.

Then I'm going to make a site that sells only professional project files from the best. I imagine this would be like crack for a lot of producers.

Either way I'm still brainstorming exactly how I'm going to monetize my 10 years in music. I am NOT a highly skilled producer, but that is absolutely no reason why I can't make money. All you have to do is create value and be good at doing so. I have seen guys step into niches they know NOTHING about and make a fortune just because they had a solid grasp on how to market and generate leads.

So honestly if you want to learn how to make money imo, start learning as much as you can about marketing and put music to the side for a bit. On warrior forum alone you will find TONS of creative ideas. You will also find a lot of scams. But its one forum where I've found some of the most creative marketers in the world. And in fact the business I'm running right now I bought the plans from a guy on that forum.

LEARN MARKETING PEOPLE! I'll tell you for a fact in the last 6 months it has completely changed my life as far as money goes. I'm not sure how it happened but I went from living & breathing music like 16 hours a day, to learning everything I possibly can about marketing. I'm not rich, I'm not trying to boast in anyway, I'm just saying I never realized how beneficial it really is just to understand business/marketing if you want to make $ in ANY area of life.

I was able to quit my full time job too within 2 months of getting into this stuff, so I guarantee it works. You just need to devote yourself like anything else. Come up with an actionable plan, than do some microtesting on a small level, whatever gets a good response just stick to that and scale it up. You WILL make money if you just try hard enough and don't give up after the first time you fail! Just keep testing ideas and eventually one will work. Thats exactly how I was able to do it.

-Robby

Main FXs GTs - Waves Plugins, Soundtoys, Volcano, FL Native FX.
Hardware - Truths, Echo Audiofire, Virus Snow, & Novation Xio Midi-Synth.

Last edited by DJ Robby Rox on Apr-21-2012 at 18:17

Old Post Apr-21-2012 18:11  South Africa
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ Robby Rox Click here to Send DJ Robby Rox a Private Message Add DJ Robby Rox to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
evo8
Virtual Wannabe

sorry couldnt resist

Old Post Apr-21-2012 18:15  Ireland
Click Here to See the Profile for evo8 Click here to Send evo8 a Private Message Visit evo8's homepage! Add evo8 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ Robby Rox
Longterm Newbie

/\ Haha its funny you link that video because the first week I got into marketing I saw that video on youtube.

And you know what? A lot of things he is right about.
But there is a very honest side to marketing too in the respect that a lot of these pioneers who have really "made it" have wound up helping a TON of people in the process. Look at the guy who invented wordpress, or steve jobs, or even richard branson. All these guys are EXPERTS at marketing. They are also some of the richest people in this planet and have all changed the world in their own little ways. They have given more value to the world than bill hicks ever could.

Its really the art of knowing what people want, how to find those people, and how to overdeliver more than what they asked for for an irresistable price.

I absolutely agree however that this industry is one of the filthiest industries to get invovled in. I still don't think that should be a reason to ignore it however. If you read some of the things these guys are accomplishing on warrior forum, its pretty amazing. Just stay out of the WSO section as its saturated with hyped up bullshit.

The business I was able to start I found the idea on that marketing forum. Its in a thread called "Make $5000 a month and be a hero". It was the first thread I saw when I left this forum and become obsessed with marketing. I was ABSOLUTELY CONVINCED it was a scam.

But I still couldn't resist paying $50 for the business plans. It wound up being a very practical, very intelligent business plan for selling 9x12 postcards to local business. Out of a hunch I actually tried it, and when I got my first check that was when I suspended all my criticisms towards marketing. It IS a shady industry to get involved with, but that doesn't change the fact that it can also be a very lucrative. As long as you stick with white hat marketing and avoid all the black hat stuff that winds up getting most people in trouble.

Another thing, LEARN COPYWRITING! I have never gotten a date online in my life till about 2 months ago and it was strictly due to learning how to copywrite. Learning how to write damaging admissions to build credibility with people. I tried it on match.com and got 7 response the first time I tried it. I have NEVER gotten a response like that before in my life. If you plan on selling ANYTHING at ANY POINT in your life, and you do NOT know how to copywrite... I'd honestly say don't even try. You will waste a ton of time and money if you do not understand the basics of copywriting first.

I'm also not trying to imply anyone can get rich, but I do think if you have half a brain, and don't hate talking to people, you can definitely make good money just by learning how to sell a service or product to people.

Main FXs GTs - Waves Plugins, Soundtoys, Volcano, FL Native FX.
Hardware - Truths, Echo Audiofire, Virus Snow, & Novation Xio Midi-Synth.

Last edited by DJ Robby Rox on Apr-21-2012 at 18:48

Old Post Apr-21-2012 18:25  South Africa
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ Robby Rox Click here to Send DJ Robby Rox a Private Message Add DJ Robby Rox to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Looney4Clooney
Supreme tranceaddict

to be honest

copyright and how important it used to be is just a non issue these days. 90% of the music in EDM doesn't have a melody or lyrics. And as much as you think you know about copyright, the law is largely idealistic. To put it short and blunt, whoever has the most money and made the track big first owns the copyright.

That is all you really need to know. Robby, you really do waste time on things that just are not important. Your 3 year pursuit if a bass line, and this. You need someone to guide you. Find someone in your area that is making it, be his friend.

The thing with dance is that you don't need to invest that much time. You can do it and hold a normal job. it isn't like you are trying to be a classical composer which pretty much takes the time it would take to be a doctor and at that age. well it is hard to start something else especially considering the task took all your time.

If you want to make it, well you have to not suck, you have to be consistent, you have to know the people in your scene, you have to be networking and you have to have a product and brand and all that shit. And you have to dj. Which might sound appealing if you are young or ugly or never had friends which is ironic because this is the case for so many djs/producers. THey will love djing because all of a sudden girls find them interesting. But for the TA playboys, RANN , Th3lord, and EddieZykelonB, these things are just of no interest anymore. The only reason rann djs is that he wants to get booked in brazil and have prostate surgery by one of the best. I think it looks fine.

Don't worry about labels, don't worry about anything other than your brand, because when you are ready, people will be asking you. You want to be picked up by a big label, the only thing that matters now is facebook/youtube capital. That matters more than your track. They want someone that already has a following, they want someone that knows how to present an image, be likeable and with a little push, will make money for that label. The days of sending music to people / labels you don't know are done.

Last edited by Looney4Clooney on Apr-21-2012 at 22:09

Old Post Apr-21-2012 22:00 
Click Here to See the Profile for Looney4Clooney Click here to Send Looney4Clooney a Private Message Add Looney4Clooney to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Evolve140
Only Sidechaining a Bit

Also pretty interesting how many people are so good at marketing, that even though their product is awful people still get sucked in. Plus there are people who are just awful and promote and market themselves. Maybe it's denial that they suck, or they just never got any honest, critical feedback. I think if you suck really bad you should be told. Not so that you stop trying, but so that you stop sucking. Or maybe they got critical feedback and ignored it or got their feelings hurt and just steamed forward.

Old Post Apr-21-2012 23:27 
Click Here to See the Profile for Evolve140 Click here to Send Evolve140 a Private Message Add Evolve140 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
TranceElevation
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Looney4Clooney
Robby, you really do waste time on things that just are not important. Your 3 year pursuit if a bass line, and this.

Old Post Apr-22-2012 00:24 
Click Here to See the Profile for TranceElevation Click here to Send TranceElevation a Private Message Add TranceElevation to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Trancelover03591
Trained tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by evo8

sorry couldnt resist

It seems like there is almost always a Bill Hicks clip that is relevant

quote:
Originally posted by DJ Robby Rox
Well you don't have to "make it" in music to make money in music thats my opinion.

I took a vacation from these forums for about 6 months and haven't been doing anything in music at all. Have never stopped producing like this in my life.

The good side however is I got deeply involved in marketing. I realized in order to make money in virtually anything, you MUST know and understand how to make a marketable product, moreso then being the best at what you do.

I think theres a lot of smart guys on this forum where if they just thought outside the box, and approached things differently, they could probably make a living just teaching newbies how to get started.

I started my own business about 6 months ago, have already purchased a new home and I don't know a lot about marketing. I was blown away by how easy it was to open up my own business, once I knew just the basics of how to market myself. What really triggers peoples emotions and all. Now I sell marketing to local business's, am as big a newbie as you can be, but I'm wondering how I can apply marketing to music as I'm making a pretty decent living now.

I'm not talking about marketing yourself on radio or direct mail or anything like that. I'm talking more about how you find a starving crowd, and give them exactly what they need.

You want to make money in music?

Start frequenting as many music forums as you can. Learn what most people are complaining about, what most people REALLY want a solution for. Maybe its a different way of making tutorials so people can learn easier. Maybe its making sound packs that contain truely unique sounds that you can't get anywhere else. Learn the problems that producers face. Build a product that will help them save time and money, and if you just create strong value like that, you CAN make money in music imo.

In fact just because this business has turned out to be successful, soon I will be releasing a service/product for music too. What I'm going to do is cold call as many pro trance producers as I can, and negotiate to buy quality project files from them that were never released for w/e reason.

Then I'm going to make a site that sells only professional project files from the best. I imagine this would be like crack for a lot of producers.

Either way I'm still brainstorming exactly how I'm going to monetize my 10 years in music. I am NOT a highly skilled producer, but that is absolutely no reason why I can't make money. All you have to do is create value and be good at doing so. I have seen guys step into niches they know NOTHING about and make a fortune just because they had a solid grasp on how to market and generate leads.

So honestly if you want to learn how to make money imo, start learning as much as you can about marketing and put music to the side for a bit. On warrior forum alone you will find TONS of creative ideas. You will also find a lot of scams. But its one forum where I've found some of the most creative marketers in the world. And in fact the business I'm running right now I bought the plans from a guy on that forum.

LEARN MARKETING PEOPLE! I'll tell you for a fact in the last 6 months it has completely changed my life as far as money goes. I'm not sure how it happened but I went from living & breathing music like 16 hours a day, to learning everything I possibly can about marketing. I'm not rich, I'm not trying to boast in anyway, I'm just saying I never realized how beneficial it really is just to understand business/marketing if you want to make $ in ANY area of life.

I was able to quit my full time job too within 2 months of getting into this stuff, so I guarantee it works. You just need to devote yourself like anything else. Come up with an actionable plan, than do some microtesting on a small level, whatever gets a good response just stick to that and scale it up. You WILL make money if you just try hard enough and don't give up after the first time you fail! Just keep testing ideas and eventually one will work. Thats exactly how I was able to do it.

-Robby

Surprised you aren't inviting us to join an MLM business at the end after all of that

My Soundcloud

Last edited by Trancelover03591 on Apr-22-2012 at 00:46

Old Post Apr-22-2012 00:36  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Trancelover03591 Click here to Send Trancelover03591 a Private Message Add Trancelover03591 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
LoveHate

yeah I guess what I meant by making it or being successful, was everybody's own personal definition of the word,

and some good advice in here.

Last edited by LoveHate on Apr-22-2012 at 01:13

Old Post Apr-22-2012 00:54  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for LoveHate Click here to Send LoveHate a Private Message Add LoveHate to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Looney4Clooney
Supreme tranceaddict

there is this myth you dont have to be good. You have to be good in the genre you are doing. Ie you think SHM sucks, but their genre is mainstream wanker music. And for that they are good. Marketing is very important, but being good is a prerequisite. You just have to understand that being good means in regards to your target audience.

LMFAO is a great group. They did everything right. They suck, but they are a parody if themselves so even then , they have you. And i'm in miami is a great track. They are good for what they do. PEople don't seem to understand that. They are basically Aqua. And you can't help but no like them. They just make fun of all the cliches. They aren't serious. And that sort of fun is infectious. dj Trance of The Gods well he is a little too into it. Because when you market someone, you don't market how good they are, you market them as people. People you like. People you would want to hang with. But they are good.

I use good very loosely.

Old Post Apr-22-2012 00:56 
Click Here to See the Profile for Looney4Clooney Click here to Send Looney4Clooney a Private Message Add Looney4Clooney to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
-FSP-
Supreme tranceaddict

Sometimes I look at Mickey Mouse humanities degrees and be like "wow employers sort of respect that?" I can't convince old geezer HR people that the amount of work I put in my music so far is about the same as some lazy undergrad who has a degree in "abstract obfuscation and analysis of literature studies." This is regarding my music and effort personally. There are people who are crazy good who put up insane amount of hours and put doctorate hours and effort in, and they cannot coast by because that's what puts food on their table.

If music had the same amount of symbolic capital as a mickey mouse degree, I would no doubt try harder in making it. "mickey mouse degree? i guess i'm going to hire you. you make music? nah."

And it's also funny that copyright and bill hicks are mentioned here. dennis seary anyone? Hicks accused Leary of stealing his material.

edit: this is not a diss towards humanities subjects or students but some of that stuff is kinda whacky.

Old Post Apr-22-2012 21:40  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for -FSP- Click here to Send -FSP- a Private Message Add -FSP- to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Looney4Clooney
Supreme tranceaddict

humanities degree is probably the most useful of all of them. Whether you slack off is your issue but to learn about philosophy, writing, art, history is never a waste of time. IT is what employers are looking for. Well rounded individuals that can think. To be honest, i would say your music formation was somewhat mickey mouse. If you go to a good school, those mickey mouse programs are not so easy if you actually learn the material. You have to read a book every day pretty much. If you go to a shitty school that has low standards, then any program will be easy.

So many musicians and engineers are just dumb when it comes to anything else. This bothers me because i happen to have a masters in it but it does not account for all my knowledge nor should it. School cannot provide proper full learning in just 4-8 years. It takes the sort of learning for life attitude to be the sort of person that knows about their expertise , but can also talk about Kant and not look like you are regurgitating bs.

School in any field does not provide anything other than exposure and humanities is probably the best program to do that. You want to be an expert, you spend the next 10 years studying what interests you. But an undergrad in math is actually rather useless , same with physics , and pretty much all the sciences. The sciences really do require a masters level learning to have any weight.

Last edited by Looney4Clooney on Apr-22-2012 at 21:50

Old Post Apr-22-2012 21:43 
EddieZilker
This is the dance.

Re: I would sa

quote:
Originally posted by Looney4Clooney
humanities degree is probably the most useful of all of them. Whether you slack off is your issue but to learn about philosophy, writing, art, history is never a waste of time. IT is what employers are looking for. Well rounded individuals that can think. To be honest, i would say your music formation was somewhat mickey mouse.

Unless you're in an interview and can safely say that you play with the local philharmonic, the first thing that comes to mind, when you tell the interviewer that you're a musician, is a mental picture of you as an unreliable egoist who'll wear bolo ties to client meetings. Go ahead, elaborate to clear up the confused picture. "Oh, you make EDM?" What they're writing on their copy of your resume' is, "DO NOT CALL. DO NOT HIRE."

You're hiring manager just had a mental image of you, plying her daughter with MDMA, flash for a split-second in her mind; her limp, sweating baby, being mauled by you while her eyes roll so far back you'd think she could see her own occipital lobe. You fucking scumbag!

Now with extra singles!
my old stuff, not quite up to snuff - but I still dig it - UPDATED 9/23/2012

Old Post Apr-22-2012 22:03  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for EddieZilker Click here to Send EddieZilker a Private Message Visit EddieZilker's homepage! Add EddieZilker to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > how many of us are actually trying to make it here?
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (5): « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackdeep track to id from Martin ten Velden Set [2007] [1]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackJas van Houten - "Heaven's Gate" [2002]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread