Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth > Need new DVS Interface, suggestions please.
Pages (12): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by miamitranceman
Yeah, Traktor 3 is now essentially “untethered”.

I want to upgrade to 3 but my MacBook Pro I use for djing is one gen too old to upgrade to the oldest MacOS that will run 3. Given I have an Ecler Evo 5 which required FireWire, I’m in a sort of upgrade pickle as any new laptop will need, if I’m reading correctly, a thunderbolt port., and those are not yet that cheap.

So I’ll be holding off on the upgrade for now I think.

yeah, this is basically NI deciding that the $400 dongle market is dead.

I had the Traktor crack (a particular version that had vulnerability bug) that allowed you to hack the hex file of Traktor to name your soundacrd as a certified device and essentially use it with any soundcard.

That was four years ago. They've seen the writing on the wall that they're never going to sell any more DVS boxes so pulled a Digidesign and made it native.

Everyone with a brain has known for years that there was nothing proprietary about the boxes from serato, NI or Stanton - it was just that these companies wanted to sell cheap soundcards for a giant markup under the guise of the being a DVS solution, rather than being a software company open to piracy, hence the dongle.

I think serato might well go under if they don't partner with Phase or get eaten by NI or something.

Old Post Nov-01-2018 23:40 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Freak
Insert witty comment here

quote:
Originally posted by DJ RANN

I think serato might well go under if they don't partner with Phase or get eaten by NI or something.

Good. Their software is awful and still glitchy as hell.

Old Post Nov-02-2018 16:54  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Freak Click here to Send Freak a Private Message Add Freak to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

Is traktor the preferred pro platform? Or are most using Rekord box due to Pio?

Old Post Nov-02-2018 19:30 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Brandt Slater
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:

They pretty much are partnered. The last championship turntable battle was nothing but Phase and Serato. Phase project utilized the Serato software for testing.

If anything Traktor would go away before Rekordbox or Serato.

Old Post Nov-02-2018 21:01 
Click Here to See the Profile for Brandt Slater Click here to Send Brandt Slater a Private Message Add Brandt Slater to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

Maybe but all their literature and marketing specifically says compatible with any platform and AFAIK (I've spoken to them once) there's nothing official / concrete between them and Serato.

The only reason I think serato is in trouble is that Serato can't survive as just a software company. The serato interfaces were the piracy protection and they were charging silly prices for basic interfaces and that's whet their profit was.

Take that away and it's just software with so copy protection and DJ's a tight bunch so I doubt they'll sell much in terms of stand alone copies.

Traktor however is NI, and they are primarily a software company. They probably don't care much that their boxes are now redundant as evidenced by the fact they've gone "untethered" / native. NI make a shit ton from their other software titles like Komplete and other plugins, not to mention keyboards etc.

I just don't see how Serato can survive in present form as a company just selling DJ software. Maybe there are investors of phase or an announcement is coming soon but I think Phase would be bonkers to limit themselves to one platform.

Old Post Nov-03-2018 19:18 
Brandt Slater
Supreme tranceaddict

I knew Phase works on Rekordbox, Serato, Traktor, but all the promo's and demos I saw, seemed like they were using primarily Serato turntablists.

If you think about it, I feel it's the cartridge companies like Ortofon who should be worried about Phase then the software companies. Just the prices of lets say a Nightclub S replacement stylus has gone way up. Compared to what we used to pay. I remember paying $40 for one and now their asking $60 or higher. It could also just be a mark up, but still that's pretty crazy. I can't wait for my Phase's to get in. Ordered one set early on, and saw recently, a four pack deal with case and purchased that too.

For DVS software, its more preference than anything. I still see more Serato users, however, I've been seeing more Rekordbox DJ software nowadays too. I have all three, and each have a plus and minus. I'm really digging Rekordbox more than the others. However, the one minus to Rekordbox is use you have to use Pioneer stuff. Or you have to buy the external DVS I/O to use non Pioneer gear. I read that apparently there's some Rekordbox hacks, but haven't looked into them. Traktor will always be my favorite, but NI did fall asleep for a couple of years on their DJ software. I mean Traktor 3 is an improvement over 2 but for as long as it took them to release it, I was expecting more I guess. I dunno, I'm not married to one or the other, I like all three.

Last edited by Brandt Slater on Nov-04-2018 at 22:08

Old Post Nov-04-2018 21:25 
Click Here to See the Profile for Brandt Slater Click here to Send Brandt Slater a Private Message Add Brandt Slater to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

I think the likes of Ortofon have taken a but of a kicking but I think they still do OK on audiophile sales and given that vinyl has made a comeback (My local barnes and noble has a massive section, albeit classic re-releases and mainstream artists) I think their bread and butter market is OK.

I can imagine that their digital/DVS needles are going to die a painful and swift death though as now you only need a good analogue needle and a Phase for the best of both worlds.

I wonder if Phase will negatively affect dance music vinyl sales as the new method of DVS takes a bite from those that couldn't abide needle based DVS (myself included). It's probably an incredibly niche % though.

I think the reason NI slacked off on Traktor is that there isn't huge money in it and their revenue is in other software and hardware - that's exactly why I think serato might be in trouble as I really don't believe they can survive (unless without extreme downsizing) as just a DJ software company.

Pio obviously have sales elsewhere so they're safe, NI obviously too but all of Serato's eggs are in their overpriced copy protection dongles, which just became redundant.

It may just be a case of all the people they're doing their demos with use serato as it seems a lot of hiphop/turntablists like to use it?

I think the smartest thing serato could do would be to buy phase.

Old Post Nov-06-2018 18:49 
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

PHASE PROJECT DVS / DJ CONTROLLER NOW AVAILABLE!

So it seems their website has gone from pre order to actually shipping orders!

YASSSSSS

https://www.phase-project.com/bundles

Can't wait to get my grubbies on a set

Old Post Nov-23-2018 19:43 
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

FUCKERS.

Got an email today saying they've had last minute mass production issues and now they won't be available until January.

Old Post Nov-27-2018 02:39 
Brandt Slater
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
FUCKERS.

Got an email today saying they've had last minute mass production issues and now they won't be available until January.

This is now the third delay. Ordered my first set back in June, and another set in October. It's frustrating.

Old Post Dec-08-2018 21:25 
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

I know. They need to get their shit together. I understand it's a new product etc, and new tech, which can have issues but they've been teasing this for a year now, with a world tour and frankly, don't hype the product if you can't deliver.

Old Post Dec-10-2018 00:56 
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

Ok, should be next month.

However, they've quietly launched another product which seems interesting.

Basically, you just need an ipad and a Turntable. They give a digital cross fader that you connect to the ipad and scratch with it. They also have a little box that lets you plug it all in. Maybe a bit gimmicky but they seem to be pushing the envelope....

https://mwm-store.com/mixfader

Old Post Dec-29-2018 00:14 

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth > Need new DVS Interface, suggestions please.
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (12): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackidentification plz [2005] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackMoogwai - Viola (Armin Van Buuren Remix) [2006]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread