Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > The "talk about your last night out" thread
Pages (40): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
wotyzoid
it's not house

I'd love to get into that club mainly because of how it fucking looks and the hype, but i'm with enydo on the irony jab. it's fucking weird this division shit, with this music and all.

Old Post Jan-08-2016 22:26  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for wotyzoid Click here to Send wotyzoid a Private Message Add wotyzoid to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
enydo
~

Who gonna drop bombs on those new $4000 a pop Technics this year? lollllllll

Old Post Jan-08-2016 22:30 
Click Here to See the Profile for enydo Click here to Send enydo a Private Message Add enydo to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
wotyzoid
it's not house

he's right

Old Post Jan-08-2016 22:38  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for wotyzoid Click here to Send wotyzoid a Private Message Add wotyzoid to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

What's the division, really? Not letting people into Berghain? It was the same back at the dawn of acid house. They had selective door policies at Shoom, Back To Basics... one of the most famous dance records ever was written after Chic couldn't get into Studio 54.

And I don't get the $4k Technics thing. Is that supposed to imply that poor people are getting priced out of electronic music? Marshall Jefferson paid $10,000 for his first hardware setup in 1984.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Jan-08-2016 22:50  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list SYSTEM-J is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
enydo
~

Wasn't meant to imply shit other than I think that price tag is patently absurd, and I had just read about it.

My comments were usual shitposting due to a strong sense of envy on my part towards the "haves" when I am assuredly a "have not". You're correct in terms of your examples.

Sorry for interrupting the clubtime review thread.

Old Post Jan-08-2016 23:53 
Click Here to See the Profile for enydo Click here to Send enydo a Private Message Add enydo to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
wotyzoid
it's not house

exceptions make the rule i guess. i'm just an idealist about it.

Old Post Jan-09-2016 00:14  United States
Sykonee
Supreme EMCritic

I don't normally post in here 'cause most the shows I go to in Vancouver typically feature locals who I'm sure most no one on TA knows of, and even fewer would care reading about. Even then, with our absurdly early bar hours, there's often not much of a 'night out' to detail anyway. However, this weekend featured back-to-back nights with two of Berlin's more notable jocks, DJ T and Prosumer. Sure, at different venues hosted by different promotions, but I figured why not pull a duo-night out, do it like the cool people in Berlin do? As I've only recently begun getting weekends off now, maybe I can get back into the old clubbing habits again.

Can't say I was all that hyped for DJ T though, because honestly, when's the last time Get Physical did anything of note? I sure they still have their devout followers, but after Crosstown Rebels, Ostgut Ton, and Dirtybird became far trendier options for tech-house, they seem to have been left to the bin of '00s sounds. But hey, one of the promoters for DJ T was insistent I come out for this, promising a cool, small intimate vibe at The Fox Caberet (a venue I've never been to), putting me on 'cheap guest list' and all that stuff. Guess it wouldn't hurt for an hour or two, but no way I'm getting there before midnight - there's only so much warm-up tek-haus I can handle.

I, um, never made it. Prior to heading out, I hooked up with Ishkur for some pre-clubbing drinks at the local water hole to shoot the shit and toss some darts. Games got pretty intense, and didn't finish until 1:30am, far too late to make a trip downtown worth my while. Ah well. (oh, and our current record is 3-1, my favor)

So night #2 rolls up, and I'm not missing out on Prosumer, no sir. I've heard good things about him, and he's playing at my current favorite venue in Vancouver, Open Studios (a converted warehouse loft in an industrial district just outside downtown-proper). Get there about an hour after opening, and the place is sparse, about a dozen folks milling about. Weird, I thought, usually Open Studios is nicely filled in by 11pm. I did bump into Resident Advisor's all-star music journalist Andrew Ryce though, where I told him that, while I dig that he's reviewing the heat-magnet releases, his writing style makes me want to give him a wedgie. (this is a pact Ishkur and I vowed to enact should the opportunity arise) The tunes being played by a tag-team tandem Jesse Bru and Myte, are mostly euro deep house and... Marshall Jefferson? Well, that was unexpected. And once midnight comes, the venue's become a sweatbox sardine can.

Prosumer himself surprised me, and not just because he's a heftier chap in person than I expected. I honestly thought I'd be getting a night of heads-down techno, or at least proper-grooving tech-house. Instead, he's dropping tons of old-school Detroit and rave-house records (oh yeah, strictly vinyl affair this session, which is surprising to see for any out-of-town jock these days), and even tossing in some vintage Moroder singles that isn't Donna Summer. Probably most surprising record I heard was a tribal rub of Jark Prongo's Movin' Thru Your System - never thought I'd hear that vocal again in a club.

Of course, the capper on the night was having a pleasant, rain-free stroll for several blocks before *just* catching the final night bus home. Woo, no cab expenses this time!

(~)

Old Post Jan-17-2016 21:44  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Sykonee Click here to Send Sykonee a Private Message Visit Sykonee's homepage! Add Sykonee to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Sykonee
Supreme EMCritic

Whoops, double post.

(~)

Old Post Jan-17-2016 21:47  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Sykonee Click here to Send Sykonee a Private Message Visit Sykonee's homepage! Add Sykonee to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
aretey
tranceaddict in training

What are you talking about?

Old Post Jan-18-2016 08:34  France
Click Here to See the Profile for aretey Click here to Send aretey a Private Message Add aretey to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
wotyzoid
it's not house

quote:
Originally posted by DanceFloorPoet
Hows the sound in Verboten? Someone said it was better than Output. I consider Output to be one of the best systems ever. Second only to Sound Factory 99 to 2003

not even fucking close, Verboten either sounds "alright" or like absolute shit.

quote:
Originally posted by DOOMBOT
If you enjoyed blk market, also check out Resolute, if you haven't already. Both groups are doing it proper in NYC.

I've been going to resolute for years, thats where i spent new years.

Old Post Jan-19-2016 16:26  United States
Chimney
Low pH

Given as I've moved back to Sweden from Romania and got to working, I thought it's about time to get the thumb out of my ass and start experiencing some real techno in real clubs. In Romania, one might encounter the given mnml-superheroes like Raresh, Rhadoo and Petre Inspirescu, but to quote a promoter to whom I talked a couple of years ago "they're tired of shit crowds and shit sound systems".

So, a week ago, I get in my Facebook newsfeed a post from DJ Skirt that she was playing in my town, followed by Shed. I thought it was a great opportunity for me to get in contact with some real music. The venue was in a park in Malmö Sweden, a very stylish one with 3 separate rooms. The other two rooms had a couple of local DJs that played hip/hop and ambient-music.

DJ Skirt started her set at 23:30 which I thought to be a bit early, given as when she started playing, there were ~15 people in the room. The main room was huge, with a baroque-ish bar in the back and basically all space. The DJ booth was connected from the main-stage (which was high) to ground-level about 10 meters forward. So basically, people could get near the booth and Bethanny herself. There was a simple laser set high above the stage. It was extremely spaceous and simple.

I will never forget when I entered the room and heard the techno music. It was for the first time in my life I ever heard techno on a big sound system, and none of that shit Rihanna I was accustomed to back in Romania. The only thing in my mind was "I'm in the right place".

Dj Skirt's set was good. She kept it fairy simple and, in my opinion, rather linear. She had a couple of percussion heavy bangers which stood out, but for some odd reason she chose to play them about 15-minutes into the set. The entire set was vinyl-only. I heard some familiar tracks as well, and I'm sure she played the Black Dog remix of "Collider". What was a bit strange is that she train-wrecked about 3-4 times into the set. She panicked over it, but saved it pretty well. I would have hoped for some more tracks to stand-out, but as mentioned, she played it rather safe. She seemed extremely down to earth and humble.

Roughly 2.5 hours into the set, Shed made his appearance. For some reason - maybe that's his default state - he seemed pretty annoyed about something. What was intriguing was that he came when Skirt had roughly 30 minutes left of her set. The guy stood behind the decks, calmly waiting on the stage, with a beer in his hand in a yoga-position. He didn't enjoy the music or actually showed any interest in what Skirt was doing. 2 guys approached him with vinyls, which he took in a rather dull manner and put aside. I was surprised that no one approached him so I did. Given as he seemed pretty annoyed with the situation, I went to him, shook his hand and simply said "big fan of your music. Hope you enjoy Malmö", then went away.

When Shed started playing, the dancefloor was full. He came on at 01:30 and had a set time till 3:00. With all respect to Skirt, the difference between Shed and herself was from heaven to Earth. Shed absolutely destroyed the dancefloor. I've never, in my life, heard such a heavy-driven, well-varied, yet simultanously funky set. european techno being a heavy-set music, played by a Berghain resident, I would have imagined some dullish, hard-hitting moments. But the set was absolutely flawless.

Mid set he dropped an absolutely banger which caught the interest of me and a couple of other people that seemed to know techno. It was a transparent silver vinyl. We tried to catch a glimpse of the label, without luck. Shed's playstyle varied from USB-CDJ, to vinyls and then some CDs towards the end. Not that it matters.

Shed, through the set seemed extremely bored. He had "RIP 50 Weapons" on his headphones and drank more beer than I've ever seen anyone drink. I find it a bit sad, but for people like him, I assume it's a job. For me, it was like a kid in a fuckin candy-shop.

The show was in conjunction with my 26th birthday, which will probably stand as my most memorable ever. It was an amazing evening and people seemed to enjoy it, although 95% of the people probably didn't even know who played.

Even my girlfriend who was visiting me and who dislikes techno said that Shed's set was great and danced. I guess a skilled DJ does that.

Old Post Feb-15-2016 17:57  Sweden
Click Here to See the Profile for Chimney Click here to Send Chimney a Private Message Add Chimney to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Woony
Supreme tranceaddict

Shed isn't a Berghain resident and his sound has always been more influenced by the US and UK rather than Berlin.

The bored/annoyed look is his resting-techno-face. He always looks like that. I remember one time, he was playing lush oldschool house in the Berghain garden on an august evening, basically a perfect setting. Steffi came in the booth rather drunk, going nuts with every track, trying to cheer him up while he continued playing with that fucking miserable look on his face. It was fairly hilarious to watch.

Old Post Feb-15-2016 18:33 
Click Here to See the Profile for Woony Click here to Send Woony a Private Message Add Woony to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > The "talk about your last night out" thread
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (40): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackhelp id'ing proggressive house/trance cd with purple cover [2006] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackStarchaser - "Falling Star" (Original Dub Mix) [2004]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread