Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Canada > Canada - Toronto & Southern Ont. > The Official TOTA Toronto Maple Leafs/Hockey Talk Thread
Pages (218): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
smuncky
Architect

quote:
Originally posted by EvilTree
Leafs win 3 win a row! Even that pylon Belak scored

aka future GM of the leafs.

"The best car-related innovation we have is not to improve the car, but eliminate the need to drive it everywhere we go.” -Alex Steffen

Old Post Dec-05-2007 13:55  Russia
Click Here to See the Profile for smuncky Click here to Send smuncky a Private Message Visit smuncky's homepage! Add smuncky to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Dave Akermanis
Juan Sanchez

lol pylon....

Old Post Dec-05-2007 15:11  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Akermanis Click here to Send Dave Akermanis a Private Message Visit Dave Akermanis's homepage! Add Dave Akermanis to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
ChemEnhanced
ƒ¶ƒåƒÓƒÛƒnƒéƒßƒåƒnƒÚƒÕƒÞƒ

quote:
Originally posted by EvilTree
Leafs win 3 win a row! Even that pylon Belak scored

and it will be another 4 years before he gets his next goal.

Last edited by Moral Hazard on Apr-26-2011 at 07:48

Old Post Dec-05-2007 15:52  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for ChemEnhanced Click here to Send ChemEnhanced a Private Message Add ChemEnhanced to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
WillyWonka
Supreme tranceaddict

I just cashed out all my winnings from William Hill poker in time for holiday spending and left a few bucks for some misc. wagers. Usually leave anywhere from $20-$150 for sports bet so if I win I don't have to reload my poker account. Anyway, I just placed a $50 bet with Toronto to win over Montreal. Gonna cry if I have to deposit again. Leafs please don't let me down!!!

Old Post Dec-15-2007 22:33  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for WillyWonka Click here to Send WillyWonka a Private Message Add WillyWonka to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SkyHigh
hillbilly.......

i give 80 20 chance that leafs win..
Does that make you feel better?

Old Post Dec-15-2007 23:44  Russia
Click Here to See the Profile for SkyHigh Click here to Send SkyHigh a Private Message Add SkyHigh to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
smuncky
Architect

quote:
Originally posted by WillyWonka
I just cashed out all my winnings from William Hill poker in time for holiday spending and left a few bucks for some misc. wagers. Usually leave anywhere from $20-$150 for sports bet so if I win I don't have to reload my poker account. Anyway, I just placed a $50 bet with Toronto to win over Montreal. Gonna cry if I have to deposit again. Leafs please don't let me down!!!

lol...sry for ur loss man.

"The best car-related innovation we have is not to improve the car, but eliminate the need to drive it everywhere we go.” -Alex Steffen

Old Post Dec-16-2007 05:17  Russia
Click Here to See the Profile for smuncky Click here to Send smuncky a Private Message Visit smuncky's homepage! Add smuncky to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
malek
drinks your milkshake!

thank you the maple laughs

Old Post Dec-16-2007 07:29 
Click Here to See the Profile for malek Click here to Send malek a Private Message Visit malek's homepage! Add malek to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Abercrombie
myspace.com/ashesband

quote:
Originally posted by malek
thank you the maple laughs

Here's to something we agree on.

There should be pictures from last night's game in the 'post your favourite pwnage' thread.

Short time TA, Long time Guver, Good time giver.

Old Post Dec-16-2007 17:03  Algeria
Click Here to See the Profile for Abercrombie Click here to Send Abercrombie a Private Message Add Abercrombie to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
ChemEnhanced

I have completely lost all interest in watching the LEafs this year......they have a bad coach, terrible GM and players that just don't seem to give it 100%.

The dissapointments of Tucker, McCabe, Bell and Blake top my list of the garbage that Toronto is putting out.

The only bright points so far this year are Sundin and Antropov.....both of which the Leafs should trade as soon as possible.

Old Post Jan-06-2008 23:16  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for ChemEnhanced Click here to Send ChemEnhanced a Private Message Add ChemEnhanced to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
soupastah
tourist

i found this on page 7 and it made me laugh.... no posts in 3 weeks? lol muaaaaaaaaahahahhahahahaahhhahhah

Old Post Jan-19-2008 17:53 
Click Here to See the Profile for soupastah Click here to Send soupastah a Private Message Add soupastah to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
ChemEnhanced

quote:
Originally posted by soupastah
i found this on page 7 and it made me laugh.... no posts in 3 weeks? lol muaaaaaaaaahahahhahahahaahhhahhah

i refuse to post here again until JFJ is out the door.

Old Post Jan-19-2008 21:30  Canada
smuncky
Architect

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/295630

Blackhawks offer Leafs fans hope

For decades, the team of Bobby Hull and Stan Mikita packed in spectators, though the Stanley Cup remained elusive after 1961. But then the frustrated fans stopped coming. Now, the Chicago Blackhawks are on an upswing, with new crowds and young hotshots

Jan 20, 2008 04:30 AM
Rick Westhead
Sports Business Columnist

On a steely cold December morning, Blackhawks defenceman Brent Seabrook stumbled out of bed at 4:45 and quickly made his way to a TV station in downtown Chicago for a peculiar assignment: sharing a recipe for penne and chicken with pink vodka sauce – and winning new hockey converts.

The 22-year-old Seabrook has since appeared on the ABC affiliate station for a segment about New Year's Eve fashions, while several of his teammates in recent weeks have been guests of a rival channel to tout holiday gift ideas.

"It's pretty early, but that's morning TV," says Seabrook, in his third season with the Blackhawks. "I got a chance to sleep later in the day. Hey, it's just nice being recognized around the city these days."

That the networks would covet appearances by Seabrook and other Blackhawks players speaks to the team's startling reversal of fortunes. Suddenly in Chicago, where, in recent years, news about the Blackhawks was relegated to the last page of the sports section when it was covered at all, the Blackhawks are surging both on and off the ice.

"Some players go to nightclubs now and it's written up in the society pages," says Kevin Boyer, an executive with All Terrain Productions, an advertising agency hired by the Blackhawks this season to increase the visibility of the team's players.

Trading hockey sticks for saucepans seems to be working. In five of its past seven games, Chicago has drawn more than 20,000 fans. And to date this season, the Blackhawks are averaging 15,350 spectators a game – up an eye-popping 25 per cent from last year's full-season average of 12,272, second worst in the 30-team NHL.

With a record of 21 wins in 46 games, the Blackhawks prospects are bright, though they may not make the playoffs this season. Chicago's hopes for a berth in the post-season were dealt a setback after a recent losing streak.

Yet in a development that should give hope to dispirited Maple Leafs fans watching their team freefall its way to the bottom of the NHL's standings, Chicago has a pair of 19-year-old stars who some scouts say are the best teenagers playing the sport.

Both Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane were acquired in the NHL's amateur draft – Kane was the first pick last summer, and Toews was selected 3rd overall in 2006 – because of the Blackhawks' abysmal record in recent seasons.

As much as Toews, Kane, and the club's other young stars are rekindling interest in the team, the Blackhawks have been every bit as compelling off the ice, thanks to the death of the team's owner, Bill Wirtz.

On Sept. 26, the 77-year-old Wirtz died of cancer. A former amateur boxer who often bragged of brawling with Rocky Marciano, he had been the team's president since 1966.

That was five years after the Blackhawks last won the Stanley Cup, led by Bobby Hull, a burly Canadian who, Sports Illustrated noted in a 1965 profile, had a wicked slap shot and biceps bigger than boxers Muhammad Ali or Floyd Patterson.

The Blackhawks wouldn't win another Cup, but they packed fans into the raucous Chicago Stadium for several more decades. (The stadium could be so loud that one writer covering a basketball playoff game purportedly couldn't transmit his story because the sound waves generated by the crowd interfered with his computer's phone signal.)

Over the years, however, Wirtz morphed into a local pariah.

Nicknamed "Dollar Bill" by his many critics, he allowed homegrown star players like Jeremy Roenick and Chris Chelios to bolt for bigger contracts with other teams. Determined not to overpay players, Wirtz even let Hull leave the team for the rival World Hockey Association in 1972 for a multi-million-dollar contract.

"The Wirtzs are perfectly right," the Star's Milt Dunnell wrote in 1972. "Bobby Hull is not worth $2 million for the next five years – nor $3 million for the next 10. No hockey player is. One of these years, the public suddenly will realize there is something wrong with its table of values."

But of course, Wirtz's steadfast belief and Dunnell's prediction have not been borne out.

Wirtz also steadfastly refused to show home games on TV because he thought it diminished the value of season tickets.

By the early 1990s, attendance began to flag, fans abandoned the team, and newspapers and TV and radio stations stopped covering Blackhawks games. One Chicago lawyer spent two years working on a self-published book called Career Misconduct: The Story of Bill Wirtz's Greed, Corruption and the Betrayal of Blackhawks' Fans.

In one of his last interviews, Wirtz told the Star his Blackhawks had lost $191 million (U.S.) in the previous 10 seasons – $31 million in 2006-07 alone.

The figures were startling for a team that would routinely jam upwards of 20,000 fans a game into the old Chicago Stadium, where fans screamed so loud in support of the Blackhawks that coaches on the bench would have to yell into their players ears to be heard.

Local scorn for Wirtz crystallized in the moments before the Blackhawks' first game of the season, on Oct. 6, when general manager Dale Tallon eulogized his former boss.

A cellphone camera captured Tallon's speech, and while the video was grainy, the sentiment was unmistakable. As Tallon bulled his way through prepared notes, fans booed and heckled, and the jeering only seemed to get worse when Tallon asked for a moment of silence. (The video is available on YouTube.)

But what fans couldn't have realized at the time was that the Blackhawks' organization was about to be blown up.

Bill Wirtz's father, Arthur Wirtz, bought the Blackhawks in 1954 after making millions in real estate around the U.S. He also established a succession plan that still exists today, calling for the family's eldest living male to run the team.

When Bill Wirtz died, that left the Blackhawks in the hands of his son Rocky, now 55, a virtual unknown in hockey circles who had run the family's liquor distribution business, instead of Rocky's brother Peter, 48, a Blackhawks vice-president who has since resigned to work on the family's catering company.

"I had been to maybe one owners' meeting in 20 years," Rocky Wirtz says. "I think the average person probably did think that the team would be run by my brother Peter. But in the family we knew what the succession plan was. We just didn't talk about it."

While he's something of a mystery to other NHL owners, Rocky Wirtz maintains that he's steeped in the sport.

"When I was 10 I'd go to games with dad on the weekend and Wednesday nights. The deal was that if I went to the game, I had to go to school the next day. Well, we'd go to the game and then out to dinner somewhere. Dad and (his partner) Jim Norris would try to solve every problem in the world and I'd nap in the booth or whatever and we'd wind up getting home at 4 a.m. I'd have to get up at 6:30 to get ready for school and I'd fall asleep in class. The teachers told my parents they thought I had a learning disability. My mom had to bite her lip."

Among Wirtz's first moves was recruiting John McDonough, president of baseball's Chicago Cubs.

"I thought anyone who could make a 92-year-old baseball stadium (Wrigley Field) a destination for people from around the world must be a great marketer," Wirtz says.

Over what would turn into a four-hour lunch, McDonough told Wirtz that if he were hired, he would advise his sales staff to act as if the Blackhawks would finish the 82-game NHL season without a single win. "I don't want anyone coming back to me saying they would have done a better job marketing if the team was winning more," he says.

Widely admired in baseball as one of the sport's top marketers, McDonough says he was impressed by Wirtz's directness.

"We didn't know a lot about each other," McDonough says. "We both admitted we had Googled one another. I remember Rocky saying, 'John, I know I will lose some leverage here by telling you this, but you're the only guy I'm going to talk to about this job.' I really respected that."

With McDonough on board, step two was getting Blackhawks games back on local TV.

"It had become a real monkey on our back," Wirtz says. "Every conversation about the Blackhawks would be about how home games weren't on TV."

When Wirtz and McDonough first approached local sports channel ComcastSportsnet Chicago, the network was nonplussed. The NHL season already had started, and Comcast executive Jim Corno figured it would be impossible to find advertisers.

"The Blackhawks had not been front-page news in years, and the season had already started and budgets had been spent," Corno says.

Still, Wirtz himself recruited two advertisers – liquor companies Diageo and Crown Imports – and sales staff coaxed another, a consortium of local Chrysler dealers, to become the main sponsor of Blackhawks' broadcasts.

Midway through the season, Comcast is attracting between 45,000 and 60,000 for Blackhawks games, up from less than 30,000 a year ago for the few road games that were on TV, Corno says.

Step three was salving the wound the team had created with Hull and other stars, such as Stan Mikita.

For years, the Blackhawks had a suite next to the press box for team alumni.

"The problem was, nobody wanted to come to the games," Wirtz says.

The Blackhawks' new owner – "new owner, same name" – reached out to Hull and Mikita, who both now act as ambassadors for their former team.

To be sure, Wirtz admits there have been missteps during his first few months on the job.

At one point, he directed the team to eliminate organ music from Blackhawks games in favour of more modern rock, hip-hop and rap tunes – a key to building awareness with young consumers.

"We had Smashing Pumpkins front man Billy Corgan write a Blackhawks fight song and Al Jorgensen from Ministry do something," Wirtz says. "But it was too much. We got some mail."

A fixture at the old Chicago Stadium, the organ is back, although in moderation.

And with the Blackhawks performing better on the ice – one YouTube posting of an "insane" goal scored by Toews earlier this season against Colorado has been viewed more than 340,000 times – it's getting easier for the likes of Boyer, the unorthodox marketer.

Dance clubs and restaurants are scrambling to get players like Seabrook in the door, Boyer says. And in two years, when Kane and Toews are old enough to drink, they'll probably be in demand, too.

"There's a buzz for this team now," says Boyer, "that Chicago hasn't seen in decades."

Old Post Jan-21-2008 05:13  Russia

TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Canada > Canada - Toronto & Southern Ont. > The Official TOTA Toronto Maple Leafs/Hockey Talk Thread
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (218): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playback3rd Track from Kaysey Taylor Promo 01-2005 [2005] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackGizeh - Wonderful (Original Mix) [2002]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread