Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > The Dark Knight Rises
Pages (30): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
srussell0018
Chaostician

It sounds like you are having a bit of a crisis of faith.

Old Post Jul-22-2011 04:56  Ireland
Click Here to See the Profile for srussell0018 Click here to Send srussell0018 a Private Message Add srussell0018 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
WittyHandle
Supreme tranceaddict

It just annoys me when I see someone stick their neck out and try to do something interesting and make it popular, but people knock them for not being leet enough. Films like Inception can be the jump off point for someone to want to seek out more challenging works.

Old Post Jul-22-2011 05:01  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for WittyHandle Click here to Send WittyHandle a Private Message Add WittyHandle to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
srussell0018
Chaostician

Right but Hollywood is a business. Unfortunately you can't make a boat load of money by making "intelligent" movies unless they are dumbed down and full of action.

Old Post Jul-22-2011 05:03  Ireland
Click Here to See the Profile for srussell0018 Click here to Send srussell0018 a Private Message Add srussell0018 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
WittyHandle
Supreme tranceaddict

Derp, really? That's what I see him doing, just less dumbed down than any other major Hollywood projects.

Old Post Jul-22-2011 05:08  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for WittyHandle Click here to Send WittyHandle a Private Message Add WittyHandle to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Omar Little
Senior tranceaddict

7 pages about nolan and no ones mentioned memento

Old Post Jul-22-2011 14:45  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Omar Little Click here to Send Omar Little a Private Message Add Omar Little to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
ReclusNdangrmnt
Platipus Addict

I know it was a few pages back but the thing about re-recording dialogue (It's called ADR) is true and not true. With some movies, it has to be done for one reason or another (unavoidably loud locations, special effects machinery, etc), but it is preferable to capture the dialogue on set because the performance is almost always better. Shotgun microphones (The ones they put on the ends of booms) are excellent at isolation from off-axis noise, and with big-budget projects, they are probably working on a sound stage anyways.

In this case, I'm not sure Christian Bale, who is a Method actor, would want to go back and ADR everything, but who knows

Source: I'm trying to do this shit for a living.

Old Post Jul-22-2011 14:51  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for ReclusNdangrmnt Click here to Send ReclusNdangrmnt a Private Message Visit ReclusNdangrmnt's homepage! Add ReclusNdangrmnt to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Quazar
It's not common to re-record most or all of the dialog in a studio. If a movie has to do that, it's considered a very bad sign for the crew that made it.

I was in a recording studio once and I overheard the people that work there talking about how funny it was that the entire cast of "Skyline" had to come in and re-record dialogue for pretty much the entire movie. It sounded like it wasn't common for that to happen. And if reviews are to be believed, the people making that film had no idea what they were doing.

quote:
Originally posted by Tasty Onions
I dunno, just doesn't sound too plausible to me. I do know that almost all non-dialogue sound ("foley" work), even really tiny things like doors closing, papers being handled, people walking, etc., is dubbed in after the fact.

But I'd never heard the same about dialogue.

Fuck me, for the amount you guys talk about movies you know absolutely fuck all about production.

It's common for the majority and in many cases all of the dialogue to replaced via sound stage recording and mixed at the dub stage with the score and FX.

Only very low budget films have to rely on location recording and even
it's sometimes logistically impossible to get mics close enough to pickup dialogue without background noise (especially from crew) fucking it up.

If they just used recordings from location, why is foley used on every single film? Surely they can just use the sounds they recorded?

If anything, it's actually cheaper in the grand scheme of things to not have to worry about getting location dialogue recordings perfect and just do it all after the fact in a controlled environment (i.e. sound stage or studio).

I can tell you first hand that DR was done on all the films mentioned in this thread.

Source? I actually do this shit for a living (I'm a score engineer for hollywood composers).

Old Post Jul-22-2011 17:09 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
srussell0018
Chaostician

Old Post Jul-22-2011 17:21  Ireland
Quazar
still likes trance

quote:
Originally posted by DJ RANN
Fuck me, for the amount you guys talk about movies you know absolutely fuck all about production.

It's common for the majority and in many cases all of the dialogue to replaced via sound stage recording and mixed at the dub stage with the score and FX.

Only very low budget films have to rely on location recording and even
it's sometimes logistically impossible to get mics close enough to pickup dialogue without background noise (especially from crew) fucking it up.

If they just used recordings from location, why is foley used on every single film? Surely they can just use the sounds they recorded?

If anything, it's actually cheaper in the grand scheme of things to not have to worry about getting location dialogue recordings perfect and just do it all after the fact in a controlled environment (i.e. sound stage or studio).

I can tell you first hand that DR was done on all the films mentioned in this thread.

Source? I actually do this shit for a living (I'm a score engineer for hollywood composers).

Aren't you saying that for scenes shot on sound stages, a re-recording isn't necessary? And most of the film is shot on sound stages, right? I don't see why you're quoting me here.

Calling the actors into a recording studio to re-record all of their dialogue in a film, sound stage scenes included, is unprofessional.

quote:
Originally posted by Sushipunk
At least last time you Brits got pissed off, we got punk music out of it. This time, it'll probably just end up being embers breaks

Old Post Jul-22-2011 18:07  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Quazar Click here to Send Quazar a Private Message Add Quazar to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
srussell0018
Chaostician

quote:
Originally posted by Quazar
Calling the actors into a recording studio to re-record all of their dialogue in a film, sound stage scenes included, is unprofessional.

No it's not. The audio of a movie is just as important as the visual aspect. Wanting the sound to be perfect in a controlled environment isn't unprofessional at all.

Old Post Jul-22-2011 18:31  Ireland
Quazar
still likes trance

quote:
Originally posted by srussell0018
No it's not. The audio of a movie is just as important as the visual aspect. Wanting the sound to be perfect in a controlled environment isn't unprofessional at all.

Something tells me method actors (like Bale and Ledger) would not take kindly to having to act out the entire interrogation scene, for instance, only to have to go into a recording studio 4 months later and re-do the whole thing with only their voices.

quote:
Originally posted by Sushipunk
At least last time you Brits got pissed off, we got punk music out of it. This time, it'll probably just end up being embers breaks

Old Post Jul-22-2011 18:59  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Quazar Click here to Send Quazar a Private Message Add Quazar to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
srussell0018
Chaostician

Well it doesn't matter if that's just how things are done. Christian Bale is probably a prick about everything anyways.

Old Post Jul-22-2011 19:01  Ireland

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > The Dark Knight Rises
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (30): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackHelp Id? [2005] [2]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackSlusnik Luna - "Sun" [2003]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread