Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > Prometheus, epic stuff
Pages (24): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
GoSpeedGo!
no more Mr. Nice Guy

quote:
Originally posted by Blake
The movie was neither of these things.

It was body horror. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_horror

As for action, if you've seen Alien or even Sunshine/Event Horizon, you know these aren't exactly James Bourne movies. What did you expect? (honest question)

And guys, don't try to think too much about the black goo. I think it's best seen as contents of Pandora's box - symbolic evil, rather than some mysterious liquid that needs to be scientifically examined.

Old Post Jun-10-2012 21:50 
Click Here to See the Profile for GoSpeedGo! Click here to Send GoSpeedGo! a Private Message Add GoSpeedGo! to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
EddieZilker
This is the dance.

quote:
Originally posted by GoSpeedGo!

As for action, if you've seen Alien or even Sunshine/Event Horizon, you know these aren't exactly James Bourne movies. What did you expect? (honest question)

And guys, don't try to think too much about the black goo. I think it's best seen as contents of Pandora's box - symbolic evil, rather than some mysterious liquid that needs to be scientifically examined.

Oh, kind of like the stuff in District 9.

[/Won't_ever_get_it]

Now with extra singles!
my old stuff, not quite up to snuff - but I still dig it - UPDATED 9/23/2012

Old Post Jun-10-2012 21:53  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for EddieZilker Click here to Send EddieZilker a Private Message Visit EddieZilker's homepage! Add EddieZilker to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Acton
Like a FCKNG BIRD

The 'black goo' encountered on LV-XXX or whatever is was, was certainly a biological weapon designed to kick the crap out of us pathetic Earth folk, there's little doubt about that.

The 'black goo' drank by the Engineer at the beginning of the film, on the other hand, although looking the same, had a totally different effect. Whether this was accidental or not, is certainly a major question.

As mentioned, the film certainly raised more questions than answers, but upon hearing Scott was making a trilogy out of this, I relaxed a little, as I'm sure most questions will eventually be explained and gradually lead to the event on LV-426.

>>> Beatport Stuff <<<

Old Post Jun-10-2012 22:23  England
Click Here to See the Profile for Acton Click here to Send Acton a Private Message Visit Acton's homepage! Add Acton to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Blake
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by GoSpeedGo!

...haters gonna hate

*edit* okay, truthfully I don't usually go see films unless they're indie or foreign, so I suppose I hoped that one of the few times I caught something mainstream it'd be different from all the rest, and be better than I'd expected. I guess thankfully, it's always friends who are hyped about these kinds of films who're willing to pay for me to join them. I suppose I bought into the hype, a bit, myself.

Last edited by Blake on Jun-11-2012 at 02:44

Old Post Jun-11-2012 00:18  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Blake Click here to Send Blake a Private Message Add Blake to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
malek
drinks your milkshake!

Looked epic in IMAX3D, so epic I forgot I was actually wearing glasses, the sound was a bit underwhelming, expected louder, more immersive sound effects/score à la Inception (last one I remember had a great aural immersion feel).

Hopefully there's a trilogy, but not counting on it, it would be unusual of Ridley Scott... and the only remaining character (Shaw) would not be enough to command a second movie, let alone a third. (unless by some scenario trickery, weyland follows the giant croissant to wherever it's going... but that would be really weak story telling to kick start a sequel)

Old Post Jun-11-2012 03:05 
Click Here to See the Profile for malek Click here to Send malek a Private Message Visit malek's homepage! Add malek to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Spam
OMG Hai2U!

quote:
Originally posted by Blake
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1446714/

I'm only just now taking a look at the IMDB page for the film, after having seen it. You can see right under the title that the first word is 'Action' followed by 'Horror'. The movie was neither of these things. So my next question would be as to whether or not it was the production company that submitted those génre labels to IMDB.

Oh, I didn't read any reviews or IMDB stuff at all. I only saw the trailers, and based my expectations on those.

Bullshit.
Those forces combine to create a soaking, boiling mudstorm on Valentine's Day.

Old Post Jun-11-2012 04:06  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Spam Click here to Send Spam a Private Message Add Spam to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
GoSpeedGo!
no more Mr. Nice Guy

quote:
Originally posted by SuperMechagodzilla on another forum

Well let's get down to brass tacks: this film is hilarious.

Guy Pearce in an old man suit appears out of nowhere, says "i want immortality," and then gets bludgeoned to death with Michael Fassbender's still-conscious severed head. This is funny. No, it's the funniest film I've seen in theatres since District 9.

Weyland's death is a stock ironic comeuppance played for extreme camp. The film glosses over it because it know that this is a trope. The glib speed with which it dismisses the search for immortality is the same with which it dismisses all the other characters' motivations. Dude say he wants money? DIES. Dude says he wants friendship? DIES. These aren't random deaths. They are equated by this same tone and attitude. Humans are stupid and die because they're stupid.

David reads Liz Shaw's dreams and then tells her straight up: you are a shallow character. Her dream looks like a hallmark card. "Your entire motivation is that you're infertile and your dad died of Ebola. I just summarized it in two sentences." The moral: robots don't have souls, and neither do people. But the robot is smarter because he understands this. If you've seen Blade Runner, you know what the warm-toned recording of the dream of a happy family means. It means she's a replicant.

"It's a quote from a movie I like."

Look at the specific quote from Lawrence of Arabia: 'the trick is not minding that it hurts'. David's character feels everything the humans feel, but he doesn't mind it. He's built up his ironic distance, he constructs his own identity and puts on an incredibly campy performance. The whole film aligns with his POV. As I said in general chat, Prometheus is a masterpiece of straight-faced camp.

The very first shot is quoted from 2001 (it's a quote from a movie I like). Prometheus is transparently Scott's grand statement on Science Fiction as a genre. It's not 'hard' science fiction. It's "Science Fiction", deeply embedded in quotation marks. The Prometheus/Pandora myth is like Scifi 101, first day of class. It's THE example of mythological proto-scifi. It's referenced in Frankenstein, the first piece of Science-Fiction literature. Alien references it. The films that Alien references reference it. The films that reference Alien reference it.

So the characters fly into space seeking all the answers to their questions, and what do they find? A rational, promethan man locked in an unending struggle against a irrational, pandoric vagina monster. Just slapping against eachother until there is a literal, onscreen shuddering climax and postcoital release. Again: this is funny! You can imagine people staring at this scene and saying "hmm... what does this all mean?" Or, better yet: "how did the squid monster grow so big without a food source?" - just angrily looking for logical clues in this prolonged sequence of a vagina and penis locked in combat.

Scott's grand statement on sci-fi is to issue a moratorium. The point of Prometheus is that these stories pretty much always boil down to the same basic archetypal conflict. The humans are painfully mundane - they are all artificial. Only David sees through the guise and understands that he's a character in a movie. This is a loving ode to gleefully bad sci-fi.

Important scene: Naomi Rapace looks at some bleeps and bloops on a screen. Two bar graphs allign. "This is it," she cries. "This is everything!" We cut back to the bar graph, and watch it bleep and bloop a while longer. Wow, what an impressive bar graph. Next scene, it turns out she just wants to get fucked.

There are two distinct scenes in the film of wacky dames who just need a good deep-dicking. One gets an abortion, the other crushed by a huge black protuberance. A guy smokes pot and then dies instantly. This is Friday the 13th logic. The class conflict in Alien is notably absent. All these people are rich idiots, so we're not supposed to cheer for them. Idris Elba, the closest thing to a 'lower class' character puts on a Southern Accent, says YEEHAW! and rockets his ship into a wall to save the day. Michael Bay would give an approving nod.

Why is there a zombie scene? Because it's wonderful slapstick. He gets shot like fifty times and his head gets run over. I couldn't stop laughing. But more importantly, the 'zombie' exists to shows us what Charlie was turning into. For a second, I though it was Charlie, back from the dead. Again, this treats the characters as slightly interchangable.

There are at least two shots lifted straight from Luigi Cozzi's (in)famous Italian Alien ripoff Contamination.

Prometheus owns.

I actually like this and I think it's spot-on.

Old Post Jun-11-2012 12:25 
Click Here to See the Profile for GoSpeedGo! Click here to Send GoSpeedGo! a Private Message Add GoSpeedGo! to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Acton
Like a FCKNG BIRD

Hilarious

>>> Beatport Stuff <<<

Old Post Jun-11-2012 12:46  England
Click Here to See the Profile for Acton Click here to Send Acton a Private Message Visit Acton's homepage! Add Acton to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Juan Paulino
Come Away O Human Child

Saw it for the second time and i luv it. The uber-human kicks ass, leave none alive!

Juan Paulino - Quantum Break (Original Mix) [Progressive Breaks]

Old Post Jun-11-2012 20:54  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Juan Paulino Click here to Send Juan Paulino a Private Message Visit Juan Paulino's homepage! Add Juan Paulino to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
tubularbills
Max Power!

another question: speaking of sequals....would the next movie be in parallel sequence with Alien? (i.e. happening at the same time, but in onther space)....or would it be another prequel prior to Alien?

also, as mentioned above, the angry vagina thing was the one that came out of Shaw, but survived the cold/decontaminate area.

ALSO! if the black goo is an evolver (rapid growth, rapid change in the host in comes in contact with)....what would happen if the black go went into the "Alien" at the end? it's been forever since i've seen the alien series....is that what makes the "super" aliens in #2?

Old Post Jun-11-2012 21:16  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for tubularbills Click here to Send tubularbills a Private Message Add tubularbills to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Vector A
Your petrochemical arms

I basically liked it but the script definitely could have been better. Good acting, good action sequences,1 nice atmosphere and world-building, great squick like you'd expect from an Alien movie. But character development was stunted, plot was pretty ropey at times, dialogue had some clangers, and dramatic moments would have been more effective if more of the characters were likable.2

[spoiler]

1. Except for the "falling giant ship" part.

2. To all the script-writers out there, if you're going to do a tense "I'm gonna shoot him!" / "No, please don't!" moment, it should be with someone more endearing to the audience than that guy was!

[/spoiler]

Old Post Jun-11-2012 23:15  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Vector A Click here to Send Vector A a Private Message Add Vector A to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
WittyHandle
Supreme tranceaddict

I made a significant effort to limit my expectations and ended up really enjoying the movie. I'm sure I'll see it again.

Old Post Jun-12-2012 03:27  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for WittyHandle Click here to Send WittyHandle a Private Message Add WittyHandle to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > Prometheus, epic stuff
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (24): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbacksome help please? [2005] [3]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackDave Robertson - "Allrights" [2004]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread