Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Canada > Canada - Toronto & Southern Ont. > The Official TOTA Toronto Maple Leafs/Hockey Talk Thread
Pages (218): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 [162] 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
ChemEnhanced
ƒ¶ƒåƒÓƒÛƒnƒéƒßƒåƒnƒÚƒÕƒÞƒ

quote:

Decrease Text SizeIncrease Text Size
Text Size

TORONTO -- Richard Peddie says he will retire as president and CEO of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment at the end of next year.

MLSE says an executive search committee has been formed to identify Peddie's successor.

The 63-year-old Peddie has been with MLSE since November 1996, helping oversee a massive amount of growth.

During that time, MLSE acquired the Toronto Raptors, opened the Air Canada Centre, established the Toronto FC MLS team and expanded its business interests with a condo and entertainment development.

MLSE chairman Larry Tanenbaum says "Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment is what it is today due in large measure to the great team that Richard Peddie has built."

is he retiring or getting the boot? I say boot

Last edited by Moral Hazard on Apr-26-2011 at 07:48

Old Post Nov-30-2010 18:07  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for ChemEnhanced Click here to Send ChemEnhanced a Private Message Add ChemEnhanced to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Brennen
Supreme tranceaddict

Did anyone notice that Kardri uses the same deke over and over with little or no success? Maybe with him playing centre tonight he might play a bit different.

Old Post Nov-30-2010 18:19  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Brennen Click here to Send Brennen a Private Message Visit Brennen's homepage! Add Brennen to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
ChemEnhanced

quote:
Originally posted by Brennen
Did anyone notice that Kardri uses the same deke over and over with little or no success? Maybe with him playing centre tonight he might play a bit different.

it not unusual for players to have a certain deke they use over and over again.

I highly doubt he will play any different tonight then he has the other nights.

Old Post Nov-30-2010 18:43  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for ChemEnhanced Click here to Send ChemEnhanced a Private Message Add ChemEnhanced to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Spin Laden
Nick Vachon approved

quote:
Originally posted by ChemEnhanced
What he needs is more then one move. I agree that he doesn't have anyone to play with but every time he gets into a slump he goes back to this shooting from the top of the circle crap....he did it in Boston and he's doing it hear. I would trade him for a tie and give it to Burke so he can actually look like a GM.

that one move seems to be working for Stamkos

granted, look who he plays with.

Once I took a piss in front of everybody at Stereo. Put the garbage under the mixer, and did it right there while people were dancing and screaming. people thought I was playing with the mixer but I was playing with my zizi.

quote:
Originally posted by Enjoy
a classic from the aria days:
me: are you on TA?
girl: uhhhh... im on speed

Old Post Nov-30-2010 19:09  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Spin Laden Click here to Send Spin Laden a Private Message Add Spin Laden to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
ChemEnhanced

quote:
Originally posted by Spin Laden
that one move seems to be working for Stamkos

granted, look who he plays with.

Its not even a matter of who he is playing with......it doesn't matter when you carry the puck into the zone and make a B-Line to the top of the circle. Sure, Kessel will score different goals when they actually get set up in the zone but when he carries the puck in you know exactly where he is going and what he is going to do.

Old Post Nov-30-2010 19:13  Canada
ChemEnhanced

quote:
Rogers in $1.3B talks to buy majority stake in Leafs empire
n what would be the biggest transaction in Canadian sport history, Rogers is in talks to buy the Toronto Maple Leafs in a deal worth more than $1 billion, sources said Tuesday.

The sale would include the Raptors, Toronto FC soccer club and the Marlies, the Maple Leafs’ minor league hockey team.

Buying a majority stake in Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment from the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan would transform Rogers, which already owns the Toronto Blue Jays, into one of the most powerful sports enterprises in North America.

“I know it’s real,” said one top sports industry executive, who requested anonymity. “I’ve heard it from Rogers at a high executive level and from MLSE at a (the highest) level.”

Sources close to the talks say the asking price for the 66 per cent stake owned by the Ontario Teacher’s Pension Plan, which has about $95 billion in assets, is in the neighbourhood of $1.3 billion.

“This would be unprecedented in a market the size of Toronto,” said Richard Powers, sports marketing professor at the University of Toronto’s Rotman School of Management. “They would have a stranglehold on basically the entire professional sports market in southern Ontario and control almost every single stream of sports-producing revenue in the city.”

A deal with telecommunications giant Rogers would include all of MLSE’s sports properties, including Leafs and Raptors TV stations, but not the company’s real estate holdings, sources told The Star. MLSE recently completed construction on its newly minted Maple Leaf Square condo development next to the Air Canada Centre.

Spokespersons with both Rogers and the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan declined comment.

“It’s our policy to neither confirm or deny,” said Deborah Allan, director of communications and media relations for the Ontario Teachers Pension Plan.

Richard Peddie, MLSE’s chief executive officer, referred all questions to Teachers’ representatives.

“It’s a shareholder matter,” he said. “I have not been involved in any discussions and I have no knowledge of it.”

It is not known whether Rogers is the only bidder or if the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan intends to talk to other parties.

At some point, Larry Tanenbaum will be involved. Kilmer Sports, which the construction magnate owns, holds 20.5 per cent of MLSE, and has a right of first refusal if another shareholder sells. TD Capital holds the remaining 13.5 per cent.

“Either Larry has to pass or Larry goes in bed with Rogers. When Ted (Rogers) was alive, there was always that discussion with Larry and Ted,” said one source.

For Rogers, the programming enticements of a deal are irresistible.

Rogers, which already has epublishing, cable, radio and wireless interests and owns the Blue Jays baseball club, could merge Leafs and Raptors TV, add the Toronto FC games and effectively start the most powerful regional sports network in the country. It would be among the biggest in North America.

“It’s a home run,” said one source. “Content is king. The only way you can draw new subscribers is through compelling, unique and exclusive programming.”

Aubrey Kent, the Torontonian director of the Sports Industry Research Centre and Temple University in Philadelphia, said a Rogers deal would mean “they’d own a huge city.

“Everything but the Argos. It would be quite a monopoly all centralized in a top five market in North America.”

While more than billion dollars isn’t cheap, it could prove well worth it, he said.

“With the landscape as it is, they really need those properties to fulfill their programming need. It’s online content, apps, mobile broadband and TV. Taking over the most valuable property in the NHL and one of the top sports properties in North America is an investment in your core business.”

It could also be good news for sports fans, he said.

“There are a lot of people who have a problem with the Teachers’ Pension Plan being so bottom-line oriented. Rogers might be the same but winners draw more eyeballs than losers do. So there’d be more impetus for Rogers to invest in a winning team.”

Rogers might also be attempting a pre-emptive move, say analysts.

As it stands, MLSE is a threat to start its own powerful regional TV network.

“(Rogers) might be saying, ‘(MLSE) could easily create a regional sports network and kick our ass,” the source said.

That model already exists in the U.S. where the New York-based MSG (Madison Square Garden) Network broadcasts New York Ranger and New York Knick games as well as the WNBA’s New York Liberty and Major League Soccer’s New York Red Bulls.

Adding MLSE teams to the Blue Jays’ nest would also be a game changer for Rogers’ Sportsnet.

A perennial second place finisher to TSN, Sportsnet could become the exclusive spot on the dial to see the country’s most watched hockey team.

“They’re going to try to take the heart out of TSN,” said the source. “They may just say, ‘No more Leaf games on TSN. We’re going to take the whole thing.”

Andrew Zimbalist, a leading sports economist, agrees TSN would be a target.

“It’s a very rich valuation for the Maple Leafs, as iconic as they are as a sports brand, which makes one look for monopoly synergies for Rogers and the obvious one is that they could bury TSN . . . It would be an enormous concentration of power.”

In recent years Rogers has aggressively overpaid for the rights to broadcast games, pay-per-view and digital content for Canadian NHL teams, say sources.

“It’s huge for Sportsnet, huge for wireless and huge for cable,” said the source. “If you go across those platforms and take a pocket of money out of each, there’s a lot to be made there.”

Powers, of the Rotman School of Management, raised a caution repeated by other industry watchers: “You have to wonder if you want that much concentration in one organization. This is a whole other level.”

Teachers’ increased its stake in MLSE last year buying out the 7.7 per cent interest of CTVglobemedia Inc. for undisclosed terms.

There have been rumblings in recent years that the Ontario Teachers Pension Plan, one of the original MLSE investors, wanted to unload its stake despite its continuing strong profitability.

But there’s no upward profit movement for the Leafs any longer, the source said, at least as long as the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan owns the club.

“They’ve capped out on the number of seats and ticket prices.”

Anything that gets OTPP out of the picture I'm all for. I still think 1.3 Billion is low.

Old Post Dec-01-2010 13:38  Canada
Dior Homme
Hedi Slimane

quote:
Anything that gets OTPP out of the picture I'm all for.

We need a change and i dont mind rogers owning more. i just hate my HD PVR box. But at least they give me a new one when it craps out.

Old Post Dec-01-2010 15:16  France
Click Here to See the Profile for Dior Homme Click here to Send Dior Homme a Private Message Visit Dior Homme's homepage! Add Dior Homme to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
ChemEnhanced

Not Leaf related but NHL related

quote:
Jim Kelley Passes Away

* Tuesday, November 30th, 2010

Jim Kelley, a longtime sports writer and member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, has died after a long battle with cancer. He was 61. Kelley was a broadcaster on all-sports radio station THE FAN 590, and a hockey columnist on Rogers Sportsnet's website. He posted his final column on Sportsnet.ca on Tuesday - a retrospective on Brian Burke's career with the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Buffalo News sports editor Steve Jones confirmed that Kelley died Tuesday at Buffalo General Hospital.

Kelley spent much of his 30-year career covering the NHL for the newspaper before taking jobs with FoxSports.com, ESPN.com and working as a broadcaster in Toronto. Most recently, he was writing columns for Sports Illustrated.

Kelley was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 2004 upon receiving the Elmer Ferguson Award for hockey writers. He was scheduled to be inducted into the Buffalo Sabres' Hall of Fame on Jan. 1.

Kelley is survived by his wife Susan, daughters Erin and Megan, and three grandchildren. Funeral arrangements were pending.

R.I.P.

I loved reading anything he wrote about hockey.

Old Post Dec-01-2010 15:54  Canada
Spam
OMG Hai2U!

quote:
Its not even a matter of who he is playing with......it doesn't matter when you carry the puck into the zone and make a B-Line to the top of the circle. Sure, Kessel will score different goals when they actually get set up in the zone but when he carries the puck in you know exactly where he is going and what he is going to do.

When he's the player carrying the puck into the zone, I have gruesome flashbacks of Jason Blake

I argued with you about that comparison back in the day, but I have to admit today, that you are absolutely right.

Bullshit.
Those forces combine to create a soaking, boiling mudstorm on Valentine's Day.

Old Post Dec-02-2010 00:38  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Spam Click here to Send Spam a Private Message Add Spam to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Spam
OMG Hai2U!

quote:
Anything that gets OTPP out of the picture I'm all for. I still think 1.3 Billion is low.

And think about it, if Baseball was a top-8 playoff style, the Blue Jays would be a playoff team.

When was the last time an MLSE team made the playoffs? Raptors 4 or 5 years ago?

I'm really hoping that this deal is finalized.

Bullshit.
Those forces combine to create a soaking, boiling mudstorm on Valentine's Day.

Old Post Dec-02-2010 00:40  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Spam Click here to Send Spam a Private Message Add Spam to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
ChemEnhanced

quote:
Originally posted by Spam
When he's the player carrying the puck into the zone, I have gruesome flashbacks of Jason Blake

I argued with you about that comparison back in the day, but I have to admit today, that you are absolutely right.

now you got me scared

Old Post Dec-02-2010 01:50  Canada
randallpink
Senior tranceaddict

quote:

Ovi? i know what he's gonna do every time he crosses the blue and he usually scores. Same with Stammers (top of the circle shot which no one can stop). Same with crosby (parkin in front of the net). Of course nobody scores the same way all the time but you can usually guess what someone is going to do. these guys just more talented players playing on more talented teams. im pretty sure kessel would have ten more goals than he does now if he had a decent centre. he's not a franchise player and we need to understand that. give me marty st loius and a rocket of a shot and ill score 50 in 50 no problem. kessel has potential, but not on the current leafs

Old Post Dec-02-2010 14:44  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for randallpink Click here to Send randallpink a Private Message Visit randallpink's homepage! Add randallpink to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Canada > Canada - Toronto & Southern Ont. > The Official TOTA Toronto Maple Leafs/Hockey Talk Thread
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (218): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 [162] 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackPlease ID this Tune! [2005] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackMidway - "Inca" [2003]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread