Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > The FIFA 2018 World Cup Thread
Pages (43): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

He didn't play well, but Croatia did a job on him tonight. Every time he got the ball they had two or even three players hustling him in possession. And more than that, his team couldn't get any supply into him.

By far Argentina's biggest problem is that they lack any kind of midfield passer who can join defence and attack. They used to excel in this position - there was a time when they had Riquelme, Aimar and Veron in the squad all at once. What they would give now for just one of those players who can receive the ball on the half-turn in midfield, shield it and pass it on. Croatia pressed them superbly and their only answer was to tackle like brutal bastards. By contrast, you look at Modric, who just can't be dispossessed. You can press him all day long but he'll play through it. That's what did for Liverpool in the Champion's League final and it's what happened to Argentina today.

For me, Messi needs to be playing in midfield, with the mission statement of dictating rhythm. He's shown many times for Barcelona he can dictate the play from deep. He has the technique and the intelligence to do it, no question. It wouldn't be a glamorous role for him, but it's what the team needs. Instead I thought Sampaoli's substitution of Aguero for Higuain was utterly pointless. He swapped a striker who was getting no service for another striker who's got a far worse touch and is only useful for finishing off moves. The actions of a manager with no clue how to solve his team's structural problems. And he deserves the sack just for that suit jacket and V-neck combo.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Jun-21-2018 21:34  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Jon_Snow

quote:
Originally posted by djdk
Wow, absolute howler from Caballero there

Yes it is.

Loved that strike by Eriksen

Old Post Jun-21-2018 22:04 
Add  to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

I'm glad Croatia got the win, not just for colonial reasons; Argentina were just outplayed and Messi was locked down the whole game. It reminded me of Neymar against Switzerland although even more guys on him.

Rebic's finish was great, even if it was a gift, but Modric's goal was nothing short of sublime. World class player with a goal to match. I have a feeling that if Croatia continue to pay like that, they've got a real shot. It easily could have been a couple of goals more for them and by the end, Argentina were just broken.

If Iceland win against Nigeria, Argentina are out. I can't really believe that they won't even make it through the group stage but frankly Iceland and Coratia deserve it more.

Old Post Jun-21-2018 22:16 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
He didn't play well, but Croatia did a job on him tonight. Every time he got the ball they had two or even three players hustling him in possession. And more than that, his team couldn't get any supply into him.

By far Argentina's biggest problem is that they lack any kind of midfield passer who can join defence and attack. They used to excel in this position - there was a time when they had Riquelme, Aimar and Veron in the squad all at once. What they would give now for just one of those players who can receive the ball on the half-turn in midfield, shield it and pass it on. Croatia pressed them superbly and their only answer was to tackle like brutal bastards. By contrast, you look at Modric, who just can't be dispossessed. You can press him all day long but he'll play through it. That's what did for Liverpool in the Champion's League final and it's what happened to Argentina today.

For me, Messi needs to be playing in midfield, with the mission statement of dictating rhythm. He's shown many times for Barcelona he can dictate the play from deep. He has the technique and the intelligence to do it, no question. It wouldn't be a glamorous role for him, but it's what the team needs. Instead I thought Sampaoli's substitution of Aguero for Higuain was utterly pointless. He swapped a striker who was getting no service for another striker who's got a far worse touch and is only useful for finishing off moves. The actions of a manager with no clue how to solve his team's structural problems. And he deserves the sack just for that suit jacket and V-neck combo.

Cesc Fabregas agrees with you:

quote:
Argentina played with a 5-0-5 formation. No midfield. This is what any opposition in the world wants to face. Argentina players did not play for each other but they played against each other. The passing was terrible. They offered nothing, nothing."

It seems Jorge Sampaoli admits he didn't have a clue:

quote:
"I am responsible for the loss. I made the decisions. I did not read the game well. We have not found the best team to accompany Messi."

Old Post Jun-21-2018 22:21 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
sensorium
Supreme tranceaddict

Messi is also to blame here. Most of the players in Argentina are there because of him. I still question why Kun Agüero is there as a starter. I have more confidence in Dybala as a striker over Higuain and Messi's friend. Dybala and Pavon would have been my starters and Messi in the midfield.

Like it or not Argentina didn't have a good offense or midfield coming in. I was hoping that would change, which is why I didn't care Messi was playing as a forward. But this sucks.

From the moment the goalie Sergio Romero was out of the WC I knew it was going to be more complicated but I didn't know the second goalie was going to be that much of a factor.

Hopefully they play better for what can be their last game.

Old Post Jun-22-2018 02:17  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for sensorium Click here to Send sensorium a Private Message Add sensorium to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
LoveHate

Well from the looks of things Argentina are most likely out and Germany might not even make it to the round of 16 either...two big favourites

Old Post Jun-22-2018 02:41  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for LoveHate Click here to Send LoveHate a Private Message Add LoveHate to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

As I said earlier in the thread, anyone who thought Argentina were a favourite is going purely on their name, because they've been playing terribly for some time now, and barely even made it to the tournament.

I was reading this morning that Croatia actually had more players on the pitch from Europe's top four leagues. Argentina had several players I'd never even heard of, so maybe this result shouldn't be a surprise at all.

I also read that Messi told Sampaoli months ago that 3-4-3 doesn't work for him tactically as it encourages defenders to clog his zones. Sampaoli duly came up with a new formation ahead of the tournament, but after the draw with Iceland he went straight back to 3-4-3 against Croatia. By the end of the match it was difficult to tell what system Argentina were supposed to be playing.

I'm interested to see how Brazil get on today. I thought they looked good against Switzerland for 45 minutes, but something obviously went wrong in the second half.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Jun-22-2018 09:24  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
LoveHate

im inclined to agree with you @SYSTEM-J you are absolutely right

it seems that myself and others are just holding to the notoriety that some of these south american teams epitomize , there also is some romanticism there.

anyway brazil seems to be playing a lot better in the second of this game against costa rica, they seem to be turning it up

Old Post Jun-22-2018 13:14  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for LoveHate Click here to Send LoveHate a Private Message Add LoveHate to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
wotyzoid
it's not house

It's too early to say for sure but if that second half is any indication, I have a good feeling about this.

Old Post Jun-22-2018 15:19  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for wotyzoid Click here to Send wotyzoid a Private Message Add wotyzoid to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
sensorium
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
As I said earlier in the thread, anyone who thought Argentina were a favourite is going purely on their name, because they've been playing terribly for some time now, and barely even made it to the tournament.

I was reading this morning that Croatia actually had more players on the pitch from Europe's top four leagues. Argentina had several players I'd never even heard of, so maybe this result shouldn't be a surprise at all.

I also read that Messi told Sampaoli months ago that 3-4-3 doesn't work for him tactically as it encourages defenders to clog his zones. Sampaoli duly came up with a new formation ahead of the tournament, but after the draw with Iceland he went straight back to 3-4-3 against Croatia. By the end of the match it was difficult to tell what system Argentina were supposed to be playing.

I'm interested to see how Brazil get on today. I thought they looked good against Switzerland for 45 minutes, but something obviously went wrong in the second half.

Argentina was a favorite because of the players, most of them anyway. It was harder to qualify because every other team was hungrier and more motivated from the start. Brazil had that embarrassing 7-1 defeat and they had the pressure to qualify first.

Unfortunately, Argentina was playing better with the non-Europeans players because they're the ones that have something to prove. I don't think they are the ones to be blamed here for the loss. The 'Europeans' seem apathetic, specially Messi in the last game. It was terrible to watch.

Anyway, Armani, the goalie who should have been the starter from the beginning, must start the game against Nigeria. Many experts said that as soon as Romero got injured. Why Sampaoli put a "European" goalie who rarely plays over a better goalie who is more constant is beyond me.

Old Post Jun-22-2018 17:22  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for sensorium Click here to Send sensorium a Private Message Add sensorium to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
LoveHate

If iceland wins their next game against Croatia with the goal differential they might make it through

Iceland has a population of 300,000. It's remarkable that they'd even qualify for a World Cup, let alone hold their own and have a legitimate chance of progressing to the second round.

To put that into perspective, Nigeria has a population of 185 million people. That makes Iceland's entire national population a mere 0.16% of Nigeria. I don't know how any neutral could do anything but support them in every match

Last edited by LoveHate on Jun-22-2018 at 18:56

Old Post Jun-22-2018 18:12  Canada
wotyzoid
it's not house

quote:
Originally posted by LoveHate
I don't know how any neutral could do anything but support them in every match

Because that would make them not neutral.

Last edited by wotyzoid on Jun-24-2018 at 15:24

Old Post Jun-22-2018 19:08  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for wotyzoid Click here to Send wotyzoid a Private Message Add wotyzoid to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > The FIFA 2018 World Cup Thread
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (43): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackhelp, id needed [2004] [1]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackTechno Psyche - Absolute Oblivion [2005]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread