Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > Getting older and losing friends
Pages (16): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

Getting older and losing friends

In the last month, two of my friends have abruptly moved away from the city where I live, one of them my best friend who I would generally see at least once a week. And with that, I'm suddenly aware that my pool of friends has slowly been diminishing over the last years until now hardly anyone is left. It's not that I've fell out with anyone, but most of them have simply moved away - to Japan, to Scotland, to other cities around the country. Other people who already lived further away but I would see semi-regularly are now married, or have children, or have just drifted away.

Is this just an inevitable part of getting older? I've read a few articles about how middle aged men in particular can lose contact with all their friends and end up very lonely. I've been in a relationship for four years now, and once you're safely locked in like that, the impetus to go out and meet new people naturally diminishes. Once your existing friends start melting away, you can find your social pool diminishing rapidly.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Jul-05-2017 21:37  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mr.Mystery
Static Guru

Yep, this pretty much happens to everyone. I just realized I haven't met the group I used to go clubbing with in years. Then again I was never really that social of a person.

I've been trying to set up a meeting with my best friend who I've known since first grade for months now, but our schedules just never seem to match up. Nowadays we're lucky to be able to meet once or twice a year. It's just a part of being an adult.

Old Post Jul-06-2017 03:15  Finland
Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.Mystery Click here to Send Mr.Mystery a Private Message Add Mr.Mystery to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lira
Ancient BassAddict

Re: Getting older and losing friends

So here's me being a contrarian and saying "nah"

"Peak loneliness" seems to be reached at 35 (and this research is mostly about Britons), but I can't say it's bothered me because there is an easy way to circumvent this problem.

Think of churchgoers, and don't just take my word for it.

As you said, there's a tendency to "lose friends" over time because they tend to move elsewhere or just get swamped in their jobs. However, if you belong to an institution, such as a church, there are always new people you tend to bond with. And, it doesn't have to be an actual religious institution. Crossfit apparently does something similar. In my case, I've made quite a few acquaintances in a group of (grand)children of Japanese immigrants, so when a friend is no longer around, I eventually befriend a friend of this friend who already happened to be an acquaintance. Thus, my circle of friends keeps changing, but I'm not sure I can say it's shrinking.

Old Post Jul-06-2017 03:23  Brazil
Click Here to See the Profile for Lira Click here to Send Lira a Private Message Visit Lira's homepage! Add Lira to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Sykonee
Supreme EMCritic

I'd say I only have one Friend, in the traditional sense of someone I can call up and do shit with.

But I still maintain social circles with groups of people that bonded over activities in the past, occasionally seeing them when we can align our respective schedules (clubbing group; basketball group; festival group, way-retro high-school group). We might have been friends in the past, but they're more like 'associates with shared interests' these days. Like, I doubt any of them would beckon the call if I needed to move furniture.

This is apparently what's constituted as 'normal bachelor-male adulting'.

(~)

Old Post Jul-06-2017 04:08  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Sykonee Click here to Send Sykonee a Private Message Visit Sykonee's homepage! Add Sykonee to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lira
Ancient BassAddict

quote:
Originally posted by Sykonee
Friend, in the traditional sense

And then there's this. What is a friend? Also, you can keep repeating the word friend for so long until it becomes this:

Old Post Jul-06-2017 05:01  Brazil
Click Here to See the Profile for Lira Click here to Send Lira a Private Message Visit Lira's homepage! Add Lira to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
pkcRAISTLIN
arbiter's chief minion

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
Is this just an inevitable part of getting older?

pretty much.

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
I've read a few articles about how middle aged men in particular can lose contact with all their friends and end up very lonely.

yeah it can be extra tough on males, for whatever reason we suck. i also think we tend to struggle with making new social contacts after a certain age. i can't think of a (good) friend i've made in the last 15 years or so that i didn't meet through work.

however, i think all of these issues are less significant now than in recent generations, thanks to social media. it's effortless to keep in touch these days and i think males entering their 30s today will have brought more friends along with them than their fathers.

Old Post Jul-06-2017 07:43  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for pkcRAISTLIN Click here to Send pkcRAISTLIN a Private Message Add pkcRAISTLIN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Silky Johnson
International Playa Hater

Ahhh, I have so much to say about this topic - especially touching on Lira's post.

But eh.

Old Post Jul-06-2017 14:13 
Click Here to See the Profile for Silky Johnson Click here to Send Silky Johnson a Private Message Add Silky Johnson to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Jon_Snow

I'm still wait'in on a male pattern baldness or enlarged prostate thread.

Last edited by on Jul-06-2017 at 15:14

Old Post Jul-06-2017 14:40 
Add  to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lira
Ancient BassAddict

quote:
Originally posted by Silky Johnson
Ahhh, I have so much to say about this topic - especially touching on Lira's post.

I mean, what fun is a monologue? I posted that hoping it would spark a debate

Old Post Jul-06-2017 16:21  Brazil
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

Re: Re: Getting older and losing friends

quote:
Originally posted by Lira
However, if you belong to an institution, such as a church, there are always new people you tend to bond with.

Well I don't. And I thought I was past the age where I had to get myself out there and take part in things I didn't really care about to try and meet new people. I was hoping that my 30s would be doing the stuff I genuinely care about with people I care about (not that I'm in my 30s yet). Perhaps that was just a naive sweet spot of my late 20s.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Jul-06-2017 16:41  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Jon_Snow

Teachers do like to talk though. I could expound precipitously on the subject but I'm on my phone.

Old Post Jul-06-2017 16:42 
Add  to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Silky Johnson
International Playa Hater

Ok fine, I'll speak to just your post then.

A while back we were out for Sunday breakfast, and at the next table was a young woman and much older woman. I assumed it was a grandmother/daughter relationship. We could overhear their entire conversation. The young woman was going on about her and her husband's troubles getting pregnant, and kept saying "I trust in the lord's plan for us." 'The lord' this and 'the lord' that.

At first I rolled my eyes to myself and thought "Oh brother, stupid fool..the lord ain't in control of shit."

But then I realized the relationship of these two was probably a connection through church, and I thought "How lovely these two women have a connection to share, and a community to share it in (especially the old bird)." The lord/church stuff was really inconsequential.

And I got to thinking about the erosion of community in recent times, and how neighbourly behaviour doesn't really exist in the same way it used to - people don't give much of a shit about each other or look out for each other, or take care of each other and hold each other accountable to one another. Something that I know belonging to a community like a church, especially, provides people with. I work with some nurses and doctors who all go to the same united church, and they are very involved with the community, helping others and such. I think that's lovely.

Now that we're starting a family, we've actually been considering joining a church (I was quite surprised when I mentioned the idea to my husband and he said he'd already been thinking about it himself). It's just such a nice thing to be part of, to be connected with others in the community and, as I said, to look out for others (outside of just family) and have them look out for you. The world (at least my part of the world) is only becoming more and more of a self centered "me first/fuck you" place - I think society could use social groups like church now more than ever. Especially since many churches nowadays are more progressive and not just focused on all the GOD SATAN HEAVEN HELL SIN REPENT shit.

Last edited by Silky Johnson on Jul-06-2017 at 16:56

Old Post Jul-06-2017 16:47 
Click Here to See the Profile for Silky Johnson Click here to Send Silky Johnson a Private Message Add Silky Johnson to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > Getting older and losing friends
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (16): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playback______2004 Prog needs ID [2006] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackRansom - "My Dance (Ferry Corsten Remix)" [2003]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread