Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Small history of Trance
Pages (14): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Esper256
Senior tranceaddict

I want to bring up a new topic to see what people think about it in terms of the history of trance.

While I was growing up in the USA, I hadn't heard of trance until it was definitely in full swing. BUT!

I always downloaded music on my computer. And this is a long time ago. Pre fraunhaufner or any kind of theft. I'm talking about the old Amiga demos and how they always featured elite hacker programmers making impressive vector balls.. But accompanying these demos invariably was some kind of swedish tracker who tracked up some genious tune in .mod .s3m .xm or .it format.

I'm going through my collection right now to pick out the trancy ones and see if they have dates in the comments field.

baroque - freefall (1990)
This song is a bit slower than modern trance. And since it wasn't meant to be DJed since it is a stand alone track, it isn't as long, and changes things up about twice as fast as a trance track. But you can hear a melodic dance song.

jester of sanity - elysium (???)
Doesn't have a year written into the sample names but I know it's old.

I don't want to say that any of these are where Trance came from. But I think that trackers definitely took electronic music with dance beats and worked in very structured melodies into the music.

What does everybody think?

-Esper

Old Post Apr-20-2004 00:18  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Esper256 Click here to Send Esper256 a Private Message Add Esper256 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
TAnt
Senior tranceaddict

Awesome job on your post man..

Old Post Apr-20-2004 00:47  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for TAnt Click here to Send TAnt a Private Message Add TAnt to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
halexander837
Happily Married EST. 2015

Wow, that's a lot of history. Those CD's today are so hard to find now.

Old Post Apr-20-2004 00:57  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for halexander837 Click here to Send halexander837 a Private Message Add halexander837 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ FC
tranceaddict

Great thread. Great work compiling all that info.

Old Post Apr-20-2004 02:45 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ FC Click here to Send DJ FC a Private Message Add DJ FC to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Jozef
Junior tranceaddict

Great post, very informitive

Old Post Apr-20-2004 03:33  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Jozef Click here to Send Jozef a Private Message Add Jozef to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Pio
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by gabor3000gt
also the essay on minimalism is superb! Congrats to both of you!!!

thanks

Old Post Apr-20-2004 03:34  Puerto Rico
Click Here to See the Profile for Pio Click here to Send Pio a Private Message Add Pio to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Peter K
Chicane Addicted

bump

Msn: peterstriker@hotmail.com

Old Post Jun-08-2004 11:06  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for Peter K Click here to Send Peter K a Private Message Add Peter K to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
R.j.
Di piú! di piú! di piú!

Re: Small history of Trance

quote:
Originally posted by LoginZ

O.T Quartet – Hold that sucker down (build like a skyscraper mix Taken from « Hold that sucker down (1994) ».

I LOVE that track!

GOOD JOB ON THE POST I READ IT ALL!

Mixed Genre Mixes [50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s]:
MGM 6 /
MGM 5 / MGM 4 /
MGM 3 / MGM 2 / MGM 1

Electronic Dance Music Mixes:
EDM 7

Old Post Jun-08-2004 11:53  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for R.j. Click here to Send R.j. a Private Message Add R.j. to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
GT40
Senior tranceaddict

Was'nt Sven Vath making trance in the late 80's.

Old Post Jun-08-2004 12:18  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for GT40 Click here to Send GT40 a Private Message Add GT40 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Sand Leaper
Tension hunter

quote:
Originally posted by GT40
Was'nt Sven Vath making trance in the late 80's.

Don't think he started doing trance till the beginning of the 90s with Eye Q/Harthouse. He was in some euro dance project in the late 80s though, the name of it eludes me atm.

Old Post Jun-08-2004 13:03  Norway
Click Here to See the Profile for Sand Leaper Click here to Send Sand Leaper a Private Message Add Sand Leaper to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
sandstorm03

Cosmic Baby 1991/1992 nuff said

Old Post Jun-08-2004 13:13  Italy
Click Here to See the Profile for sandstorm03 Click here to Send sandstorm03 a Private Message Add sandstorm03 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
websley
Senior tranceaddikt

Great history!

I myself couldn't give such a history, I only kept up with trance from 1999. (The magical years)
Mayby you forgot to mention "Jean-Michel Jarre", who had great influence on nowadays' Chill-Trance and Ambient styles, great work though!

Old Post Jun-08-2004 13:55  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for websley Click here to Send websley a Private Message Visit websley's homepage! Add websley to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Small history of Trance
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (14): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackCool Tech Trible Thing needs ID!!! [2005] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackTrulz & Robin - Crazy be [2007]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread