Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > Dropped food and local culture - How many seconds till it's no longer okay to nom it?
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Lira
Ancient BassAddict

Dropped food and local culture - How many seconds till it's no longer okay to nom it?

English [url=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2138777/The-second-rule-fact-fiction-Scientists-reveal-food-dropped-floor-safe-eat.html]scientists say 3-second-rule is legit (depending on the nature of the food on the floor)! However, the one thing the Britons said and that I found surprising is that in England you're supposed to pick your food up in under 3 seconds, whereas in Brazil we say we have 5 seconds to do this task - almost twice as much time our European brethren believe is safe. Apparently it's 3 seconds in Japan as well.

How many seconds "do you have" where you live before it's no longer acceptable to pick up that delicious nom you accidentally dropped?

Last edited by Lira on May-07-2012 at 21:56

Old Post May-07-2012 17:20  Brazil
Click Here to See the Profile for Lira Click here to Send Lira a Private Message Visit Lira's homepage! Add Lira to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
david.michael
Supreme tranceaddict

I have dogs. If I drop it, it's done.

Old Post May-07-2012 17:22  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for david.michael Click here to Send david.michael a Private Message Visit david.michael's homepage! Add david.michael to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
srussell0018
Chaostician

It depends on the food and the surface it's dropped on.

Old Post May-07-2012 17:23  Ireland
Click Here to See the Profile for srussell0018 Click here to Send srussell0018 a Private Message Add srussell0018 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
bananas
baby i got your money

quote:
Originally posted by srussell0018
It depends on the food and the surface it's dropped on.

and how much i want it

Old Post May-07-2012 17:24 
Click Here to See the Profile for bananas Click here to Send bananas a Private Message Visit bananas's homepage! Add bananas to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Blake
Supreme tranceaddict

10 second rule!

I've never even heard of a 3 or 5 second rule. I'd say I throw food that's fallen on the floor in the garbage about 98% of the time, and only employ the 10 second rule for certain types of food that I know are less prone to collecting dirt or debris. I use this rule most of the time with non-food items, like pills / vitamins etc. Moreover, although we call it the 10 second rule, I can't say I've known anyone to wait more than 2 or 3 seconds to actually retrieve a food item off the floor and eat it

Old Post May-07-2012 17:35  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Blake Click here to Send Blake a Private Message Add Blake to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Moongoose
Supreme tranceaddict

The first time i heard about that idiotic rule is from american tv shows. Number of seconds is irrelevant, dont think so? Then would you eat food that touched the floor for one second (well short of the "rule") in new orleans, the morning after mardi gras, or something that was on the floor of a NASA clean room where they assemble satelites and shit for an hour.

Old Post May-07-2012 17:42  Slovenia
Click Here to See the Profile for Moongoose Click here to Send Moongoose a Private Message Add Moongoose to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lagrangian
Suspended User

Re: Dropped food and local culture - How many seconds till it's no longer okay to nom it?

quote:
Originally posted by Lira from Brazil

A bit of a thread derail, but Lira...please help me figure this one out? Are expenses in Brazil (Rio and/or Sao Paolo) higher than in America? In terms of cost of living, etc.

A a close friend and business partner is from Brazil (and after studying and working in LA he's back in his hometown of Rio de Janeiro, but lives most of the time in Sao Paolo); we're both thinking about doing business for the world cup events; this would ultimately lead to a temporary relocation, if it all pans out.

Anyways I was just a bit in shock to hear from my buddy how things were more expensive in Brazil.

Ubuntu, My Fellow Pleiadians, Ubuntu!

Old Post May-07-2012 17:58  Norway
Click Here to See the Profile for Lagrangian Click here to Send Lagrangian a Private Message Add Lagrangian to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
stewart.m
Supreme tranceaddict

well coming from a pro catering background the rule was always 5 sec but in all honesty the second the food hits the floor its heading for the bin no matter how clean the floor unless its a banana lol

Old Post May-07-2012 18:31  England
Click Here to See the Profile for stewart.m Click here to Send stewart.m a Private Message Add stewart.m to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
geroin
Supreme tranceaddict

http://www.snopes.com/food/tainted/dropped.asp

/thread.

Old Post May-07-2012 18:32  Russia
Click Here to See the Profile for geroin Click here to Send geroin a Private Message Add geroin to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

I've always said the five second rule. Although really, that's just a joke. It depends on the food and the surface it lands on, and the time the two meet for is irrelevant.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post May-07-2012 18:36  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
stewart.m
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Euforix
I have this 48 hour rule. If the food has been on the floor for over 2 days I don't eat it. That's how I was raised.

Old Post May-07-2012 19:08  England
Click Here to See the Profile for stewart.m Click here to Send stewart.m a Private Message Add stewart.m to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lira
Ancient BassAddict

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
I've always said the five second rule. Although really, that's just a joke.

Pretty much. That's why I thought it was hilarious that some scientists felt the need to science it and this is what they science'd.
quote:
Originally posted by Lagrangian
A bit of a thread derail, but Lira...please help me figure this one out? Are expenses in Brazil (Rio and/or Sao Paolo) higher than in America? In terms of cost of living, etc.

It depends quite a lot on what you're looking for but, as a rule of thumb, yes, it is (much to our annoyance).

For example, the price we pay for a lousy iPod is enough to buy at least two identical mp3 players in the US. And we don't fare better in the Big Mac Index either:

src="http://media.economist.com/sites/default/files/media/2011InfoG/Interactive/bigmac_20110728/BigMacIndex.swf"
allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="595" height="950">

There's a reason why Brazilians find it so bizarre that Americans leave home after they're 18. It's almost impossible to do so here - even my friends think I'm crazy for having left home aged 24. Most people only leave home when they get married, and some stay with their parents even then!
quote:
A a close friend and business partner is from Brazil (and after studying and working in LA he's back in his hometown of Rio de Janeiro, but lives most of the time in Sao Paolo); we're both thinking about doing business for the world cup events; this would ultimately lead to a temporary relocation, if it all pans out.

That would be great :)
quote:
Anyways I was just a bit in shock to hear from my buddy how things were more expensive in Brazil.

We're usually astonished by that ourselves :(

Old Post May-07-2012 19:55  Brazil
Click Here to See the Profile for Lira Click here to Send Lira a Private Message Visit Lira's homepage! Add Lira to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > Dropped food and local culture - How many seconds till it's no longer okay to nom it?
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (5): [1] 2 3 4 5 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackCan Somebody Identify this track, please? [2005] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackStar Ocean - "Bitter Dance" [2004]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread