Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Is there a proper way to do transitions in dance music (especially in house and trance?)
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Mattsanity
Supreme tranceaddict

Is there a proper way to do transitions in dance music (especially in house and trance?)

Beatmatching and key mixing are no-brainers, but what about the other aspects such as when to cue in and cue out? I've heard how Paul Oakenfold caught flack for his transitions back in the day but from the naked eye, they didn't seem too bad.

Last edited by Mattsanity on Dec-27-2021 at 01:47

Old Post Dec-27-2021 01:37  South Korea
Click Here to See the Profile for Mattsanity Click here to Send Mattsanity a Private Message Add Mattsanity to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
miamitranceman
Extreme tranceaddict

There are definitely the moments where it’s the typical transition point but you don’t always have to transition at that particular point. As long as you’re in the correct phrase, sometime a little earlier or later is better. And even if you do use the Typical point, there are many different ways to actually achieve the transition in terms of working the EQs, filters etc. That’s the fun of mixing electronic music!

www.mixcloud.com/jluger

Old Post Dec-27-2021 04:28  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for miamitranceman Click here to Send miamitranceman a Private Message Add miamitranceman to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mattsanity
Supreme tranceaddict

Tru tru. The point is to have fun.

Old Post Dec-27-2021 15:58  South Korea
Click Here to See the Profile for Mattsanity Click here to Send Mattsanity a Private Message Add Mattsanity to your buddy list Mattsanity is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

If you know how to DJ, you can figure out what most DJs are doing just by listening to them mix. It quickly becomes obvious that every DJ out there mixes slightly differently and programmes a set slightly differently, and from that you take the things you like and try to replicate them in your own sets.

For example, I don't like DJs who cut the bass between every transition because I think it's boring and predictable on a dancefloor, but it's a very popular style of mixing. I don't like DJs who mix out very early but some DJs love it. You need to find your own style and not give a shit about what's "correct".

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Dec-27-2021 18:03  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list SYSTEM-J is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DanceFloorPoet
Dance Floor Poet

Yea many different flavors. My only preference is that the dancers be considered. If you're causing them frustration something's probably wrong.

Old Post Dec-28-2021 00:25  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for DanceFloorPoet Click here to Send DanceFloorPoet a Private Message Add DanceFloorPoet to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
miamitranceman
Extreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
If you know how to DJ, you can figure out what most DJs are doing just by listening to them mix. It quickly becomes obvious that every DJ out there mixes slightly differently and programmes a set slightly differently, and from that you take the things you like and try to replicate them in your own sets.

For example, I don't like DJs who cut the bass between every transition because I think it's boring and predictable on a dancefloor, but it's a very popular style of mixing. I don't like DJs who mix out very early but some DJs love it. You need to find your own style and not give a shit about what's "correct".

Yes, that’s why I find big room house boring for the most part. I love when you hit the bass swap, not cut, at just the right point.

www.mixcloud.com/jluger

Old Post Dec-28-2021 04:00  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for miamitranceman Click here to Send miamitranceman a Private Message Add miamitranceman to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
keithos27
Perfecto For Clubs

Pay attention to the phrases... different energy levels depending on which phrase you mix in/out of.

SoundCloud Page

Old Post Dec-29-2021 14:54  Greece
Click Here to See the Profile for keithos27 Click here to Send keithos27 a Private Message Visit keithos27's homepage! Add keithos27 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
the-sixth
Supreme tranceaddict

Re: Is there a proper way to do transitions in dance music (especially in house and trance?)

quote:
Originally posted by Mattsanity
Beatmatching and key mixing are no-brainers, but what about the other aspects such as when to cue in and cue out? I've heard how Paul Oakenfold caught flack for his transitions back in the day but from the naked eye, they didn't seem too bad.

Enjoy

7:55
12:55
15:08
21:32

https://soundcloud.com/pauloakenfol...fold-radio-1-32

Rare Vinyls spinning on video If you like that sort of thing

Old Post Dec-29-2021 20:37  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for the-sixth Click here to Send the-sixth a Private Message Add the-sixth to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
miamitranceman
Extreme tranceaddict

Re: Re: Is there a proper way to do transitions in dance music (especially in house and trance?)

quote:
Originally posted by the-sixth
Enjoy

The comments popping up during the train wrecks are hilarious. But seriously, ouch. It sounds like he just slamming the faders up and barely eqing. If you’re gonna do that you better make sure you’re properly matched and the bass isn’t clashing.

www.mixcloud.com/jluger

Old Post Dec-30-2021 14:13  United States
Mattsanity
Supreme tranceaddict

Re: Re: Is there a proper way to do transitions in dance music (especially in house and trance?)

quote:
Originally posted by the-sixth
Enjoy

I forgot about this. He's a legend though, let's cut him some slack.

Old Post Dec-30-2021 15:15  South Korea
Click Here to See the Profile for Mattsanity Click here to Send Mattsanity a Private Message Add Mattsanity to your buddy list Mattsanity is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Dj Pluviose
Supreme tranceaddict

Having a mixture between long transitions and short transitions is good too. Can't have them all one or the other.

Old Post Dec-31-2021 08:12  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Dj Pluviose Click here to Send Dj Pluviose a Private Message Add Dj Pluviose to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

The issue with Oakenfold is less that he shanked transitions (although he did) and more that he clearly had no confidence in his beatmatching so would never hold long transitions. He also tended to mix out right at the end of tracks to make things easier. As a result, a lot of his old sets sound like the tracks are very barely glued together. There's very little layering or blending. It's functional, but not much fun.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Dec-31-2021 16:11  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list SYSTEM-J is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Is there a proper way to do transitions in dance music (especially in house and trance?)
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackWes early breakfast background tune [2003] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackIan Van Dahl - "Will I" (Lange Remix) [2002]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread