Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Beginner
Pages (9): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
rattymouse
Junior tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by wotyzoid
I answered your question, asshole.

You are a very kind person. You treat everyone new to this forum this way? Reported.

Old Post Oct-20-2018 19:31  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for rattymouse Click here to Send rattymouse a Private Message Add rattymouse to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
wotyzoid
it's not house

Old Post Oct-20-2018 19:33  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for wotyzoid Click here to Send wotyzoid a Private Message Add wotyzoid to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

quote:
Originally posted by rattymouse
You are a very kind person. You treat everyone new to this forum this way? Reported.

If you don't want to see a user's posts, you can go into their profile by clicking on the little button below each post and then selecting "Add this user to your Ignore list" at the bottom of their profile. In the case of wotyzoid, I can assure you it can be quite blissful. Except when people keep quoting what he's written, natch.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Oct-20-2018 20:18  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list SYSTEM-J is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
rattymouse
Junior tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
If you don't want to see a user's posts, you can go into their profile by clicking on the little button below each post and then selecting "Add this user to your Ignore" list at the bottom of their profile. In the case of wotyzoid, I can assure you it can be quite blissful. Except when people keep quoting what he's written, natch.

Thank you very very much. Done.

Old Post Oct-20-2018 20:19  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for rattymouse Click here to Send rattymouse a Private Message Add rattymouse to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
wotyzoid
it's not house

So cute

Old Post Oct-20-2018 21:43  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for wotyzoid Click here to Send wotyzoid a Private Message Add wotyzoid to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
rattymouse
Junior tranceaddict

Another beginner question from me. I dont want to start a new thread so will just continue on with this one.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I have a looong history with music before I found Trance/EDM. I've been to easily 150-200 rock concerts over my 50 years on the planet and enjoy live music tremendously. The performance of music is easily the most enjoyable part to me.

I've never been to a Trance show, but have seen many on youtube. I don't get the performance part of Trance. It seems virtually 100% canned/playback. This is NOT a criticism from me. I am not trying to slag off anyone. It may sound like I am but please trust me. I am trying to learn here.

All the shows I see online show a crowd that is MASSIVELY into the performance. That is undeniable. Yet from my listening, tracks seem 99.9% identical to studio versions. The DJ's twiddle knobs, but I cannot for the life of me tell what input they are providing. It does not seem like much of a performance, from a musical perspective. Even the vocals are canned.

Still, I would dearly love to hear this music live one day. I live in the Detroit area so I think there's a reasonably good chance it will happen. But until then, I want to learn about what it is these DJ's are actually doing, if anything.

Edit: For reference sake, this is the type of live performance I'm talking about.

Old Post Oct-21-2018 13:40  United States
Trance-M
Since 1994 tranceaddict

Regarding rock and dance, do you remember these two from the 90's?

Any love left for trance with guitars?

I think this would be nice to hear live, Armin's brother Eller, most other shows IMO are more for the show and fun than real DJ performance, but that's just my personal feel. I always preferred clubs although my going out days are over and most clubs are closed for years:

Longest (classic) Trance playlist on YouTube (5000 tracks released up to and including 1997), click here

Old Post Oct-21-2018 15:39  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Trance-M Click here to Send Trance-M a Private Message Add Trance-M to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Sykonee
Supreme EMCritic

No, you pretty much nailed it. Trance concerts - at least with the superstar acts like Armin, A&B, etc. - are all about spectacle than any actual musical performance. Remember that most of this music is made in-studio, with dudes sitting at computers, editing and arranging tracks with a mouse. They'll play a hook or melody in a synth keyboard or drum machine, but the process of creating trance like theirs is actually rather boring to watch. It's always been a scene centered around DJs rinsing out the tracks in clubs and raves.

Then Paul Oakenfold took things to a ludicrous level when he got to be the opening DJ for U2, realizing he could adequately play trance records to stadium sized crowds and have them cheer endlessly for doing such minimal work. Soon after dudes like Tiesto, Armin, and a lot of guys getting lots of votes in online popularity polls followed suite, upping the ante in the spectacle of such concerts while never actually having to do much more than put on a new record every 5-7 minutes and hop around, doing Jesus poses during breakdowns.

Which hey, for fans of this stuff, that's fine. Apparently all most trance fans (Eurotrance fans, specifically) want is to go to a big light show, see their favourite producers behind a wall of lights, and hear their favourite ch00nz exactly as they hear them on the CDs, radio streams, and YouTube channel. If that's all they want, then as the Fatboy Slim compilation asked, "why try harder?"

(~)

Old Post Oct-21-2018 15:50  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Sykonee Click here to Send Sykonee a Private Message Visit Sykonee's homepage! Add Sykonee to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

Isn’t the obvious answer that they’re DJing, not performing “live”? DJs play the recorded versions. For a normal club crowd, the excitement of seeing a DJ play is because:

A) You don’t know what they’re going to play. A DJ set is an improvised performance and so there’s no guarantee of what well-known hits you’ll get. Much of the music will be unknown to the audience, and some of won’t even be released yet. So the performance aspect comes not in watching a visual spectacle and a tweaked rendition of something you already know, but the flow and energy of the DJ’s set and their manipulation of the crowd’s mood.
B) Dance records are engineered specifically to play on huge club sound systems, and until you’ve heard a track in a club you’ve never really heard its full frequency range and its visceral power. So even the exact same track you already know is going to sound far more powerful.
C) Drugs.

Of course, trance crowds are different in that they put more stock in the big flashy visuals, the stage design and the silly prancing and posing of the DJ behind the decks. I can’t really answer why that part is so popular, because I hate all that shit.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Oct-22-2018 12:24  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list SYSTEM-J is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
rattymouse
Junior tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
Isn’t the obvious answer that they’re DJing, not performing “live”? DJs play the recorded versions. For a normal club crowd, the excitement of seeing a DJ play is because:

A) You don’t know what they’re going to play. A DJ set is an improvised performance and so there’s no guarantee of what well-known hits you’ll get. Much of the music will be unknown to the audience, and some of won’t even be released yet. So the performance aspect comes not in watching a visual spectacle and a tweaked rendition of something you already know, but the flow and energy of the DJ’s set and their manipulation of the crowd’s mood.
B) Dance records are engineered specifically to play on huge club sound systems, and until you’ve heard a track in a club you’ve never really heard its full frequency range and its visceral power. So even the exact same track you already know is going to sound far more powerful.
C) Drugs.

Of course, trance crowds are different in that they put more stock in the big flashy visuals, the stage design and the silly prancing and posing of the DJ behind the decks. I can’t really answer why that part is so popular, because I hate all that shit.

I can certainly understand point B above. That's why I hope one day to hear this type of music live. Regarding point C, I can also relate somewhat in that back in the day, I used to enjoy a bit of pot while listening to Pink Floyd or other music. I dont think I'll ever step into whatever it is that EDM people indulge in.

Thanks for your feedback!

Old Post Oct-22-2018 12:36  United States
rattymouse
Junior tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Sykonee
No, you pretty much nailed it. Trance concerts - at least with the superstar acts like Armin, A&B, etc. - are all about spectacle than any actual musical performance. Remember that most of this music is made in-studio, with dudes sitting at computers, editing and arranging tracks with a mouse. They'll play a hook or melody in a synth keyboard or drum machine, but the process of creating trance like theirs is actually rather boring to watch. It's always been a scene centered around DJs rinsing out the tracks in clubs and raves.

Then Paul Oakenfold took things to a ludicrous level when he got to be the opening DJ for U2, realizing he could adequately play trance records to stadium sized crowds and have them cheer endlessly for doing such minimal work. Soon after dudes like Tiesto, Armin, and a lot of guys getting lots of votes in online popularity polls followed suite, upping the ante in the spectacle of such concerts while never actually having to do much more than put on a new record every 5-7 minutes and hop around, doing Jesus poses during breakdowns.

Which hey, for fans of this stuff, that's fine. Apparently all most trance fans (Eurotrance fans, specifically) want is to go to a big light show, see their favourite producers behind a wall of lights, and hear their favourite ch00nz exactly as they hear them on the CDs, radio streams, and YouTube channel. If that's all they want, then as the Fatboy Slim compilation asked, "why try harder?"

Jesus poses! Hilarious! I'm just taken aback a bit but what I see in these music videos. The people REALLY seem totally blown away by the experience. Good for them. I'm not trying to dump on them or anything. Even if this music isn't considered all that great as far as trance music, it still is (at least to me), pretty underground type music. I dont see this stuff on the radio or in the greater culture. I dont know how people find out about this music but they do and in large numbers. I have no problems with people enjoying their music.

Old Post Oct-22-2018 12:39  United States
wotyzoid
it's not house

I wonder how many more mid-life crisis victims we are gonna get strolling in after this. This guy is interested in spectacle, not music.

Old Post Oct-22-2018 13:01  United States

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Beginner
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (9): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackL-vee? [2005] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackH.C.C.R. feat.Jessiva Eve - "What Happened?" [2005]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread