Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Canada > Canada - Toronto & Southern Ont. > BlogTo article on Electronic music in Toronto
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
MrCanada
Suspended User

BlogTo article on Electronic music in Toronto

I just saw this article on BlogTo, & I thought I would share it.

What do you think about the article, & the comments in the response section.

http://www.blogto.com/music/2012/06...sic_in_toronto/

Old Post Jul-13-2012 18:34 
Click Here to See the Profile for MrCanada Click here to Send MrCanada a Private Message Add MrCanada to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
basilisk
Ektoplazm

Making a comprehensive guide to Toronto's scene would be impossible so it's just as well the author didn't try. Too bad angry people in the comments don't get that. It's a post on a general interest blog, not some kind of ultimate guide to everything noteworthy in Toronto's incredibly diverse electronic music scene.

Old Post Jul-13-2012 20:36  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for basilisk Click here to Send basilisk a Private Message Visit basilisk's homepage! Add basilisk to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
MrCanada
Suspended User

quote:
Originally posted by basilisk
Making a comprehensive guide to Toronto's scene would be impossible so it's just as well the author didn't try. Too bad angry people in the comments don't get that. It's a post on a general interest blog, not some kind of ultimate guide to everything noteworthy in Toronto's incredibly diverse electronic music scene.

What did you think of the article, & about the comments?

Here are some funny quotes from the comments section

quote:
Originally posted by Bon
This article has been re-hashed numerous times in a different way over the last ten years. It is only ever Toronto media talking up the scene - nobody else is interested.

Detroit has Movement, Montreal has Mutek, what does Toronto have?What is it about Toronto that makes it any different from any other mid sized city producing electronic music? That will make it stand out? Very little.

There is no signature sound from the city, nothing that makes a track identifiable as Toronto (as opposed to Berlin, London, Detroit, Chicago, New York), because Toronto is a bland, boring, safe, sterile city. And its plainly obvious that the city has very little to keep people there - as soon as they make a name for themselves and want to make a living out of electronic production and DJ'ing, they're gone.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Hood

I think pop-EDM and dubstep culture are different than the EDM scene in the city..

While they're popular genres/sub genres of music, they don't speak for the entire EDM scene. Toronto has always been on the forefront of the global EDM scene, whether by big name artists coming to play, or homegrown talent making the next step to global acclaim.

While collaborating with artists and crossing genre lines does produce some great music in the city, it isn't what the local scene is really about.

There are some great artists being overlooked on this list, like James Teej and The King's Arms, A-Division, Chris Vench(who has been involved for many years), who are all doing great things musically. Pioneers in Toronto who are getting plenty of acclaim domestically and internationally, like Mc Flipside, Hatiras(now in portland oregon), deko-ze, manzone and strong, jerome robbins, carlo lio, among many others. These names stoked the fires and built the foundation that these "new edm producers" have platformed on.. Toronto has been producing djs/producers/promoters/record labels and a budding scene for many years. Toronto has always been at the forefront of EDM globally, it hasn't just realized its potential.. it's always been there. you just had to look harder for it before.

quote:
Originally posted by LOL

torro torro are a bunch of trend-jumping sycophants. the music does not live up to the hype.Hahahahah Zeds Dead and all that other brostep crap can roll over and die already….. there are a lot of talented artists in toronto, not many in this article though, but then again the ppl that read this prob think WEMF is the pinnacle of EDM festivals smh x10000000.tennyboppers that go to Bass Mentality and take as many drugs as they can do not represent the electronic scene in toronto thank you very much

Last edited by MrCanada on Jul-13-2012 at 21:23

Old Post Jul-13-2012 21:12 
Click Here to See the Profile for MrCanada Click here to Send MrCanada a Private Message Add MrCanada to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
GGM
Supreme houseaddict

So you'd like us to comment on comments from a comments section? I'm down.

Old Post Jul-13-2012 22:33  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for GGM Click here to Send GGM a Private Message Add GGM to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
MrCanada
Suspended User

quote:
Originally posted by GGM

You can comment on the article, & on the comment sections. Do you agree with what is aaid in either?

Old Post Jul-13-2012 22:33 
basilisk
Ektoplazm

quote:
Originally posted by MrCanada
What did you think of the article, & about the comments?

It's okay, but it's the same article everyone writes about Toronto. Name drop a few famous acts to make our scene seem relevant, draw a connection between Toronto's multiculturalism and musical diversity, proclaim that the time is now, etc. The names change over the years but the narrative doesn't. That's fine--it's BlogTO and this is a decent article for their audience.

Old Post Jul-15-2012 16:25  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for basilisk Click here to Send basilisk a Private Message Visit basilisk's homepage! Add basilisk to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
The Ear
Built for debauchery

quote:
Originally posted by GGM

Yo dawg, I heard you like comments...

Old Post Jul-16-2012 10:47  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for The Ear Click here to Send The Ear a Private Message Add The Ear to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
MrCanada
Suspended User

quote:
Originally posted by basilisk
It's okay, but it's the same article everyone writes about Toronto. Name drop a few famous acts to make our scene seem relevant, draw a connection between Toronto's multiculturalism and musical diversity, proclaim that the time is now, etc. The names change over the years but the narrative doesn't. That's fine--it's BlogTO and this is a decent article for their audience.

So you belive this article is just a rehash, & has no merit?

I found some parts of the article to be not factual, like the part about multiculturalism and musical diversity. Who Brought that idea, & element of multiculturalism, & diversity to the music in Toronto.

Old Post Jul-16-2012 15:41 
GGM
Supreme houseaddict

quote:
So you belive this article is just a rehash, & has no merit?

I found some parts of the article to be not factual, like the part about multiculturalism and musical diversity. Who Brought that idea, & element of multiculturalism, & diversity to the music in Toronto.

Dude, we get it. You are Nick.T and now you are trying to bring up all the same old BS that you obsessed about using that account but now as an "oh so credible new member of the forum". Firstly, congrats on getting off the old 2004 Motorola Razr That Supposedly Made You Type Everything Like This. Secondly, there was a thread awhile ago about the decline of posts on here and you were the single most cited cause. Maybe time to take a not so subtle hint?

No need to reply with the traditional "I have no idea what/who you're talking about." either. There's no possible way that there's 2 people at such extreme levels of retardation that care so much about such irrelevant crap.

Old Post Jul-16-2012 20:07  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for GGM Click here to Send GGM a Private Message Add GGM to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DigDeep
SleazEaddict

How Did He Learn How To Type Correctly?

Old Post Jul-16-2012 20:18  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for DigDeep Click here to Send DigDeep a Private Message Visit DigDeep's homepage! Add DigDeep to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
MrCanada
Suspended User

quote:
Originally posted by GGM
Dude, we get it. You are Nick.T and now you are trying to bring up all the same old BS that you obsessed about using that account but now as an "oh so credible new member of the forum". Firstly, congrats on getting off the old 2004 Motorola Razr That Supposedly Made You Type Everything Like This. Secondly, there was a thread awhile ago about the decline of posts on here and you were the single most cited cause. Maybe time to take a not so subtle hint?

No need to reply with the traditional "I have no idea what/who you're talking about." either. There's no possible way that there's 2 people at such extreme levels of retardation that care so much about such irrelevant crap.

Dude, we get it, you are part of a group of trolls, talking in code language, derailing threads on the board.

I never knew that talking about Toronto/Canadian electronic music, on a Canadian/Toronto electronic music board, is irrelevent.

I have made under 10 threads total, & I did not read that thread about the decline in posts, that is probably due to trolls like you who come into threads, & derail them with your code langauge. I have seen multiple people on this board, including you, that prove multiple people can have extreme levels of retardation.

If you want go make your own thread, & talk in your code language there, please stay out of my thread, unless you have something to add.

Old Post Jul-16-2012 20:42 
GGM
Supreme houseaddict

quote:

Another big "similarity" is you/Nick are the only gunt I've seen that replies to EVERY post directly or indirectly related to them. Watch as you reply to this one just watch.

Old Post Jul-17-2012 15:14  Canada

TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Canada > Canada - Toronto & Southern Ont. > BlogTo article on Electronic music in Toronto
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackOld trance song [2012] [2]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackSmith & Pledger - White [2007]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread