Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > 14 dead, over 50 injured, brutally murdered at Denver theatre during The Dark Knight.
Pages (31): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Joss Weatherby
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by chris1011
What do you guys make of this theory?

I make out of it that it decisively concludes you are a total and complete mong.

Old Post Jul-24-2012 20:12 
Click Here to See the Profile for Joss Weatherby Click here to Send Joss Weatherby a Private Message Visit Joss Weatherby's homepage! Add Joss Weatherby to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

quote:
Originally posted by Joss Weatherby
I make out of it that it decisively concludes you are a total and complete mong.

I didn't say I agreed with it lol. Was bored at work

Old Post Jul-24-2012 21:36 
Add  to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lagrangian
Suspended User

quote:
The tragic shooting at a midnight screening of "The Dark Knight Rises" in Aurora, Colo., on Friday reignited discussions about the consequences of on-screen violence in contemporary culture. Does the prevalence of violent imagery in movies, video games and on television promote violence in the real world? Should freedom of artistic expression be respected above all else? In recent days, a number of prominent film critics have addressed these questions.

The Los Angeles Times' Kenneth Turan writes that "it is impossible to be surrounded by the 21st century's blood-soaked cinematic culture and not wonder what effect it's having on us." The proper response, Turan says, is not to point fingers but to take and share responsibility: "This problem is so big and so pervasive that everyone, including the movie business, has to shoulder a part of the blame if there is to be even a hope of getting it under control."

He adds, "If we do have to have violence in popular culture, we have to stop pretending there are no consequences to having it be so easily available. More specifically, we have to stop our ratings system from being criminally lenient in how it treats disturbing material on-screen, especially where major studio films are concerned."

PHOTOS: Scene of the shooting | Hollywood reacts

In the New Yorker, Anthony Lane writes that, although the notion of a masked gunman terrorizing innocent people has distressing on-screen parallels, movies themselves are not to blame for the shooter's actions: "We have been here before, many times; once, very specifically, when John Hinckley, Jr., became fixated on 'Taxi Driver,' which came out five years before Hinckley attempted to assassinate Ronald Reagan. What holds true then remains the case today: no film makes you kill."

In an op-ed for the New York Times, Roger Ebert echoes Lane, writing, "I'm not sure there is an easy link between movies and gun violence. I think the link is between the violence and the publicity." He adds, "I don't know if James Holmes cared deeply about Batman. I suspect he cared deeply about seeing himself on the news."

Slate's Dana Stevens says of such sentiments, "They're right, of course." But Stevens also admits, "I can't stop asking … why there? I can't get away from the fact that this act of violence took place — with, from the look of it, considerable advance planning — at an opening-night midnight showing of 'The Dark Knight Rises,' a movie that (like the rest of the trilogy it concludes) envisions modernity as a lawless dystopia where just such a thing might happen."

Salon's Andrew O'Hehir asks, "Does Batman, broadly speaking, have blood on his hands for what happened in Aurora?" His reply: "I'm a film critic and a hardcore civil libertarian who has spent much of my career defending free expression even in its nastiest and most disturbing forms. I do not believe that symbolic or fictional violence leads to real violence in any direct or causative manner …. So it may surprise you to learn that I think the question is a legitimate one and that, considered properly, it lacks a clear yes-or-no answer."

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...0,5927477.story

Legalize It, Let's All Share The Responsibility

cues Rancid- Time Bomb.

by the way, haven't seen that piece of shit movie, and i ... well, used to be a fan. I think i had enough of that Nolan from the DiCrapio Ponzi Scheme.

Old Post Jul-24-2012 21:36  Norway
Click Here to See the Profile for Lagrangian Click here to Send Lagrangian a Private Message Add Lagrangian to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Nrg2Nfinit
ItaloDiscoAddict

Hey winston

CHILL!

Old Post Jul-24-2012 22:20 
Click Here to See the Profile for Nrg2Nfinit Click here to Send Nrg2Nfinit a Private Message Add Nrg2Nfinit to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
wotyzoid
it's not house

quote:
Originally posted by Lira
Well, you never know

In this case, however, I did bother to reply because there are certain excerpts of the Bible that are used to justify misanthropy... so I thought I'd clear that one misunderstanding up.

For the sake of the thread, whatever makes you happy. I'm only saying Mattsanity doesn't deserve an intellectual debate or any type of reasoning brought to him.

And yes I do know, Marcus, it's not the first time he says some absurd shit just to stir the pot. Fucking trolls.

Old Post Jul-24-2012 23:41  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for wotyzoid Click here to Send wotyzoid a Private Message Add wotyzoid to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Looney4Clooney
Supreme tranceaddict

i find the extension of that time period , from early adolescence to what seems like the age people reach where they finish their master degree which is the new bachelor degree, it is a sort of limbo where you aren't a kid, but you aren't an adult. You don't really have a life or feel in control. I can see how one might feel like his life has no purpose and do crazy things. They aren't living in the real world as it is. I don't think this was for fame. I think boredom. a certain dissociation with society and a lack of direction are enough. And access to military grade weaponry.

He wasn't stupid. If he wanted to be famous, surely he would of shot people that would bring him more notoriety and a possible fan club. A movie theatre seems like a really weird fucking place to go on a rampage. It is dark. You can't see. I think it will be interesting to find out why. Even more interesting if he just says, "because" .

I don't think it takes much these days to do something like this. Some people are so disconnected from others. You don't talk to real people. you play games where killing happens all the time, you are not bound by that sort of guilt that would stop you from doing that because you are part of society. I'm surprised it doesn't happen more.

Old Post Jul-24-2012 23:59 
Click Here to See the Profile for Looney4Clooney Click here to Send Looney4Clooney a Private Message Add Looney4Clooney to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
netroM

quote:
Originally posted by DOOMBOT
http://thenewamerican.com/usnews/cr...e-other-ignored

reading that made my soul hurt

quote:
Originally posted by Looney4Clooney
you watch movies/tv where killing happens all the time

Fixed that for you.
If you want to blame games, you can fuck right off.

Old Post Jul-25-2012 00:07  Norway
Click Here to See the Profile for netroM Click here to Send netroM a Private Message Add netroM to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
wotyzoid
it's not house

quote:
Originally posted by Looney4Clooney

I don't think it takes much these days to do something like this. Some people are so disconnected from others. You don't talk to real people. you play games where killing happens all the time, you are not bound by that sort of guilt that would stop you from doing that because you are part of society. I'm surprised it doesn't happen more.

That's fucking grim. I pity the way you see the world.

Old Post Jul-25-2012 00:35  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for wotyzoid Click here to Send wotyzoid a Private Message Add wotyzoid to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Looney4Clooney
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by netroM
reading that made my soul hurt

Fixed that for you.
If you want to blame games, you can fuck right off.

there is something about being a participant in realistic shooting as opposed to watching violence where you are not actively seeking for someone to be killed. There are studies that show desensitization when shown violent photographs where the with groups that play first person shooters as opposed to those that don't. From what i remember , both groups showed the normal amygdala response triggered by pictures that would make you scared but those that played these types of games , well the part of the frontal love that controls the reaction to fear was less active.

But i think if you were to bake a nutcase cake, video games would account for a very very very small portion. Although video games have shown a clear desensitization to violence, there is debated correlation that it actually causes violence.

Here are two studies. The first is a meta analysis of over 130 studies involving 130 000 people , the other one is a critique of the first one. For balance. But these studies involve actual causing of aggression which is something i still think up for debate. But the thing i mentioned before, i think that is pretty much agreed upon.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20192553
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20192554

Last edited by Looney4Clooney on Jul-25-2012 at 00:51

Old Post Jul-25-2012 00:36 
Click Here to See the Profile for Looney4Clooney Click here to Send Looney4Clooney a Private Message Add Looney4Clooney to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Looney4Clooney
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by wotyzoid
That's fucking grim. I pity the way you see the world.

Don't pity me. That is how i see a portion of the people in the world. A rather large portion which i don't belong but can sort of understand what they are going thru. Pity the thousands of people that live in their bedroom and play games for hours and hours living in a fantasy world that they leaves you with nothing. It is a long time, about a decade to be preparing for what is apparently adulthood starting your adulthood with debt and a degree that does not guarantee anything. Teenagers are told they just need to do well in school and everything is alright. Turns it it doesn't quite work that way. And University , depending on the person can be enriching or completely dissociative where you spend all your time studying. My view isn't grim. I would say it is realistic. There is definitely something different in how people connect and it is less personal where social network has been replaced with the internet. I doesn't take a genius to connect the dots.

And the current state of affairs in the USA, i think grim is a pretty fucking accurate word to use.

Last edited by Looney4Clooney on Jul-25-2012 at 00:52

Old Post Jul-25-2012 00:40 
wotyzoid
it's not house

Cultural problems don't translate to "I'm surprised people are going into movie theaters to kill strangers more often." There's absolutely nothing realistic about that. That fucking twisted and sad, not to mention stupid.

Old Post Jul-25-2012 01:52  United States
Looney4Clooney
Supreme tranceaddict

you don't think there is any sort of cultural aspects at play? Just a string of coincidences ? I think you have to be rather blindsided to not see the daily acts of barbarism in the USA and then find this act somehow incomprehensible. Given the the cultural climate in the USA , I think these types of events at least to me an indication that there is something going on. Perhaps we share different levels of naivity. Being surprised is commorbid with being uninformed. So altho I respect your difference of opinion, calling me stupid for not finding it surprising that greater levels of economic disparity , access to firearms and a culture of violence might make these tragic incidences somehow not so unexpected., well that is full on retard.

Old Post Jul-25-2012 02:23 

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > 14 dead, over 50 injured, brutally murdered at Denver theatre during The Dark Knight.
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (31): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackMarkus Schulz play [2006] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackHuman Evolution - Human Evolution [2002]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread