Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > The "talk about your last night out" thread
Pages (40): « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
daphunky1
Supreme tranceaddict

Yo Adam, I'm gonna need some of your local knowledge. I live in Whistler B.C. which has 5 or 6 small clubs, so they bring in some good talent form time to time but none of the venues can hold more than about 350 people.

However, in 2 weeks I'm flying to Toronto where my girlfriend is from to meet up with her since she's already there visiting. We are then gonna take about 4 days to go visit a friend in Montreal and would love to experience the Montreal scene in all it's glory... I'm not treated to great sound systems in these small clubs and it's rarely deep/tech which my girlfriend and I are most into.

I've been to Montreal once in 2008 and some TA named Sebastian(?) put me on a guest list for an after-hours club with 3 rooms though I never got to meet him. I don't know the exact dates we are there yet but it's in between Nov. 20-29. Is there still big all night parties on weekdays or only weekends? What could you recommend around then as far as deep/tech house goes?

Old Post Nov-05-2014 02:07  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for daphunky1 Click here to Send daphunky1 a Private Message Visit daphunky1's homepage! Add daphunky1 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Sykonee
Supreme EMCritic

I went to a hip-hop show last night.

*watches 80% of TA flee*

It was Deltron 3030, which is the good kind of hip-hop, you tits! Ahh...

I was surprised to see the Deltron tour make a return to Vancouver, as they kicked it off almost one year ago here, after which I was kicking myself for missing it because... 'reasons'. So I wasn't going to miss out this time!

Kid Koala did a solo turntable set for the first hour, mostly goofing around since he's had a long relationship with the Vancouver scene (even doing spoken word stuff at our Planetarium!). With a portable rhythm machine, he even led a conga line through the audience, got us to do a Yo Gabba Gabba dance (he's touring with the children's stage show soon), and dropped The Bug's Poison Dart. I likes.

Then the regular show started, which lacked the orchestra sadly, but was a good mix of Del, Automator, Kid, and their back-up band doing their things. It was a nice mix of material from the first and second albums; no Zach de la Rocha or Damon Albarn cameos tho'. Actually, the whole stage show was very minimal and simple, which is surprising for a future-concept act like Deltron. Not even costumes or trippy dystopian visuals?

As an aside, when I first permanently moved back to the Vancouver region 12 years ago, the first concert I checked out was Del doing his regular material at the same venue (Commodore Ballroom). He did a couple Deltron songs back then too, but it obviously wasn't a huge part of his repertoire. I doubt anyone, including him, figured he'd be back at the Ballroom a dozen years later doing exclusive Deltron music.

(~)

Old Post Nov-05-2014 20:34  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Sykonee Click here to Send Sykonee a Private Message Visit Sykonee's homepage! Add Sykonee to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
daphunky1
Supreme tranceaddict

I went to a club called the Fox Cabaret in Vancouver two nights ago.

Rob Garza (of Thievery Corporation as he'll have you know) was headlining.

The first DJ was the club owner named Ernesto. He played good enough music but for some reason once he brought the next track up in so the crowd could hear it, several times the beats would be off and he wouldn't attempt to fix them, he'd just have a sheepish look on his face and carry on. Strange.

The next DJ was Neighbour, probably my favourite DJ and producer. I've seen him play many times and have since become friends with him. He always plays a consistent set of disco/funky/deep/maybe techy house. It's the way he moves through different vibes, brings in the right tracks at the right times and keeps things very groovy that makes him one of the most well known DJs in the area.

It's a good thing Neighbour threw down cuz Rob Garza was awful. I think he made his fame off Thievery Corporation and rightfully so, they've put out some amazing music. But now he wants to be a big DJ, with ego not talent. My friends and I met all the DJs before hand for dinner and got to hang in the VIP area at the club and no one was too impressed with Rob's general arrogance, or his bland music and boring mixing. I saw him in the summer and it was even worse.

We then found an after party at a guy named Smoothies house. It was Smoothies 47th birthday and he plays the trumpet. His entire basement is set up like a small club, DJ booth, vinyl collection against one wall, makeshift bar at the entry. He was killing it on the sax all night over the DJs tracks so we ended staying there til 8am. Fun times.

Old Post Nov-12-2014 05:24  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for daphunky1 Click here to Send daphunky1 a Private Message Visit daphunky1's homepage! Add daphunky1 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lews
Platipus And Prog Addict

quote:
Originally posted by Sykonee
I went to a hip-hop show last night.

*watches 80% of TA flee*

It was Deltron 3030, which is the good kind of hip-hop, you tits! Ahh...

I was surprised to see the Deltron tour make a return to Vancouver, as they kicked it off almost one year ago here, after which I was kicking myself for missing it because... 'reasons'. So I wasn't going to miss out this time!

Kid Koala did a solo turntable set for the first hour, mostly goofing around since he's had a long relationship with the Vancouver scene (even doing spoken word stuff at our Planetarium!). With a portable rhythm machine, he even led a conga line through the audience, got us to do a Yo Gabba Gabba dance (he's touring with the children's stage show soon), and dropped The Bug's Poison Dart. I likes.

Then the regular show started, which lacked the orchestra sadly, but was a good mix of Del, Automator, Kid, and their back-up band doing their things. It was a nice mix of material from the first and second albums; no Zach de la Rocha or Damon Albarn cameos tho'. Actually, the whole stage show was very minimal and simple, which is surprising for a future-concept act like Deltron. Not even costumes or trippy dystopian visuals?

As an aside, when I first permanently moved back to the Vancouver region 12 years ago, the first concert I checked out was Del doing his regular material at the same venue (Commodore Ballroom). He did a couple Deltron songs back then too, but it obviously wasn't a huge part of his repertoire. I doubt anyone, including him, figured he'd be back at the Ballroom a dozen years later doing exclusive Deltron music.

Jealous! (though it would be nice to see Del do some of his own stuff, too.)

Old Post Nov-12-2014 18:18 
Click Here to See the Profile for Lews Click here to Send Lews a Private Message Add Lews to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Woony
Supreme tranceaddict

Oh yeah, i'll mention that I went to a party called Staub (Dust) last weekend. It's held every 1-2 months at About Blank, a medium size club based in an old pre-school. Entry is cheap, just 5 euros.

Anways, the party is a little unusual because it runs on saturday daytime, from around noon to midnight. They don't publish lineups, which might seem a little pretentious but they are very resident-focussed and give friends and new/unknown local names a chance which is cool. Sometimes they have an international guest but no huge names either. The music policy is very techno focussed, the residents are all consistently good DJs, the local names can be a bit hit or miss depending on who's playing. Like last week, there was this guy with a laptop that played very yawn-y dark techno but sometimes you get pleasantly surprised.

The best part however tends to be the people/atmosphere. Due to the timeslot there are next to no tourists nor a lot of all-designer-black wearing uber-hipsters, which is a nice change from the usual Berlin clubbing public. There are are a lot of regulars that attend every party so you see a lot of familiar faces and it's a popular hangout for the local techno nerd community. (who else would go raving on a saturday afternoon? ) The floor is quite small so at times it can get slightly busy but most of the time, you have plenty of space for dancing. The vibe is generally very chilled but it can get nice and intense towards the end.

So yeah, if you're ever in Berlin and there's one of these happening, I recommend going.

Old Post Nov-21-2014 17:56 
Click Here to See the Profile for Woony Click here to Send Woony a Private Message Add Woony to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
lonne
Stranger Than Fiction

Nice thread. I approve.

Went to a club called Slakthuset ( Slaughterhouse ) last weekend and saw Evigt Mörker and Milton Bradley. Didn't expect much from Evigt Mörker as a dj but he was surprisingly good and started off with some dark ambient followed by a few of his own tracks, some dub techno and some more banging techno towards the end, before Milton Bradley took over.

Milton Bradley played some really hard techno throughout his entire set but managed to keep it interesting for 2,5 hours with a decent selection of tracks and great mixing. Seen him before at Stattbad in Berlin and I have to say he was better back then. Probably due to the crowd and the club itself. It's one of the best clubs I've ever visited so that played a big part of how I viewed him this time.

On my way home I stopped by another party just about 500 metres from my flat. Nadja Chatti and Maya Lourenco ( Lemiux ) two local Stockholm dj's played a great old school b2b house set including a lot of classics from Joey Negro, Armand Van Helden, Kerri Chandler and so on. Stayed until 5 in the morning when they closed and was drenched in sweat from dancing, when I left. Had a great night.

Last edited by lonne on Dec-01-2014 at 19:35

Old Post Nov-21-2014 20:08  Sweden
Click Here to See the Profile for lonne Click here to Send lonne a Private Message Add lonne to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Adam420
Trance Free Since 2003

Nice. I have this Lemieux remix of Inter Gritty, love it.

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
Levels is...decent...damn better than a lot of the shite dominating the charts at the moment. It sounds absolutely nothing like...a billion and one similar tracks in this big-room style. I always had a soft spot.

Old Post Nov-21-2014 20:27  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Adam420 Click here to Send Adam420 a Private Message Add Adam420 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
lonne
Stranger Than Fiction

Yeah, she has a lot of good tracks under her belt. Pretty good dj too. She plays here every week, so I've seen her countless times. Usually plays techno though, which I'm sure you can imagine.

Last edited by lonne on Nov-22-2014 at 00:35

Old Post Nov-21-2014 21:11  Sweden
Click Here to See the Profile for lonne Click here to Send lonne a Private Message Add lonne to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

Not sure this counts, but just got back from seeing Steve Hauschildt, former Emeralds member and purveyor of "post-kosmische" ambient goodness at a very cool venue called Fuse Art Space in Bradford. I was chatting to the guy who runs the place and apparently it's free to hire if they like what you want to do, so I think I've just found the location for the next Absorb event.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Nov-21-2014 23:46  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list SYSTEM-J is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
evo8
Virtual Wannabe

Went to see Chris Liebing last night, first time seeing him in a few years.
Set basically consisted of a mid-rangey kick coupled with a heavy sub "bassline" and some percussion here and there, just couldnt get into it all......disappointing

Old Post Nov-22-2014 21:59  Ireland
Click Here to See the Profile for evo8 Click here to Send evo8 a Private Message Visit evo8's homepage! Add evo8 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
evo8
Virtual Wannabe

Saw Vitalic on Saturday night, have always wanted to see him so this was the first time, didnt disappoint and probably the best gig ive been to this year

craziness!

Old Post Dec-01-2014 19:14  Ireland
Click Here to See the Profile for evo8 Click here to Send evo8 a Private Message Visit evo8's homepage! Add evo8 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Adam420
Trance Free Since 2003

Chris Leibing fucking blows now. So incredibly boring, hard to understand why he's so successful.

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
Levels is...decent...damn better than a lot of the shite dominating the charts at the moment. It sounds absolutely nothing like...a billion and one similar tracks in this big-room style. I always had a soft spot.

Old Post Dec-01-2014 19:23  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Adam420 Click here to Send Adam420 a Private Message Add Adam420 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > The "talk about your last night out" thread
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (40): « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackNeed This Song ID [2006] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackDumonde - Never Look Back [2002]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread