Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > How to get a super cheap but seriously powerful mac....
Pages (6): « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
atxbigballer1
Supreme tranceaddict

"It's not the equipment....it's the muthaf@#%r running it"
quote:
Originally posted by Pagan-za
Fighting online is like winning the special Olympics. Even if you win, you're still retarded.

Old Post May-25-2011 06:12  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for atxbigballer1 Click here to Send atxbigballer1 a Private Message Add atxbigballer1 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
kitphillips
is actually a guy.

quote:
Originally posted by meriter
you have to swap out the optical drive which voids the warranty. It can easily be done though.

quote:
Originally posted by DJ RANN

@kit - yes it's actually very easy. All you need is the optical bay converter kit. Then you just keeps the parts you removed and should you have a warranty issue, just slap the old optical drive back in.

Do it. You know want to come over to the darkside

quote:
Originally posted by aNYthing
I was researching this subject matter and it appears that it does not. It voids the optical drive warranty but the rest should be fine. Best bet (came from mac forums): email support and ask them if it will void your warranty. When they reply (most likely along the lines above): just save it. Because in warranty it states something like "unless in writing from apple support" yada yada yada.

So, if they say: Hey, your optical will be OOW but rest cool - you're good to go.

This is all interesting and good to know, cheers guys

@ RANN, there's a good chance I'll eventually make the switch. Its just a matter of time and working out what software I need etc. Some of the stuff I use for uni isn't available for mac still...

Old Post May-25-2011 10:36  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for kitphillips Click here to Send kitphillips a Private Message Add kitphillips to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lunar Phase 7
Not a Flying Toy.

Re: Re: How to get a super cheap but seriously powerful mac....

quote:
Originally posted by Lunar Phase 7
Link to a said high specced 2nd hand mac please?

All I've found on eBay are shocking.

Also would not a modern, cheap windows build with ssd beat a 3/4 yr old mac? I fear it would.

You know, William Blake said... uh, nothing is lost. Nothing is lost and I... I really believe that, we only move on...

Old Post May-25-2011 17:44  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for Lunar Phase 7 Click here to Send Lunar Phase 7 a Private Message Add Lunar Phase 7 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Zak McKracken
Trance

thanks rann, 120gb intel 320 will be bought.

Old Post May-25-2011 19:57 
Click Here to See the Profile for Zak McKracken Click here to Send Zak McKracken a Private Message Add Zak McKracken to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

Re: Re: Re: How to get a super cheap but seriously powerful mac....

quote:
Link to a said high specced 2nd hand mac please?

All I've found on eBay are shocking.

Also would not a modern, cheap windows build with ssd beat a 3/4 yr old mac? I fear it would.

quote:
Originally posted by RANN
@LP7 - just checked ebay for imac 2008 and found one 20" for $300 (will probably go for around $800), and then two other 24" going for around $900. That's more than 40% off their original retail price. And yes, we could get in to the old mac vs PC debate, but as I've said many times before, the imacs are, all thing considered (stunning screen, case, connectivity, reliability, performance, etc) extremely good value, so buying a second hand one for that money and putting an SSD in there will give a damn powerful and fast computer for little money.

Don't make me LMGTFY

quote:
Originally posted by John Cannons
So im a little confused.
I have an old 24inch white imac. The version just before they changed to the new silver ones.

Am i able to modify that to make it better because its SLOW as!
I have 4gb of ram in it because it cant take more supposdly..
hardrive is full as and its just slow..
I use my macbook pro now.. but can i make my old comp faster than that you rekon?

The short answer is yes. If it's one on the last white ones before the Alu versions came out (2006?), it will be intel processors (good news for compatibility reasons etc).

The only downside (I think) is that the 2006 imac only have SATA1 on those, so you won't quite see the kind of massive boost that SATA2 or 3 do, but still it will be the single biggest improvement you can make to your imac. SHould speed it up nicely.

Here's a link on someelse that did it so it should be very easy:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/..._2006_imac.html

Old Post May-26-2011 19:22 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

ONE FINAL THING FOR ANYONE INSTALLING SSD IN TO A MAC:

you have to be running snow leopard and/or install the updates to facilitate TRIM.

TRIM is basically intel's way of making sure used data blocks get wiped and ready for reuse (to avoid performance degradation over time).

If you're using a PC, you MUST install TRIM as well.

Old Post May-26-2011 19:30 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
kevin shawn
Like a six ton megabomb

My hackintosh has been restarting randomly under heavy loads lately. I think my video card is on it's way out

Going to get new video card and install snow leopard sometime soon

Old Post May-26-2011 19:52  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for kevin shawn Click here to Send kevin shawn a Private Message Add kevin shawn to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by kevin shawn
My hackintosh has been restarting randomly under heavy loads lately. I think my video card is on it's way out

That will elarn you for trying to fake a mac

Speaking seriously, I wouldn't both with Snow Leopard. Lion is about to come out any time now and will be a big step up.

Old Post May-26-2011 20:39 
Zak McKracken
Trance

yeah Lion suppose to come in June, but hackintosh will probably take another few months lol. fuck hackintosh, the whole point is sort of lost.

Old Post May-26-2011 20:41 
Click Here to See the Profile for Zak McKracken Click here to Send Zak McKracken a Private Message Add Zak McKracken to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
kevin shawn
Like a six ton megabomb

The entire point is logic and that alone really but I've been using this computer as a workhorse for everything else including gaming. Need to get a media machine with windows built, I should get a summer job at an electronics store Frys!

The hackintosh process is easy it's the terminology that's confusing coming from a windows background.

Old Post May-26-2011 21:12  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for kevin shawn Click here to Send kevin shawn a Private Message Add kevin shawn to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
evo8
Virtual Wannabe

quote:
Originally posted by kevin shawn

why do you think its a video card problem?
sounds like thermal shutdown or not enough power (power supply) to me

Old Post May-26-2011 22:25  Ireland
Click Here to See the Profile for evo8 Click here to Send evo8 a Private Message Visit evo8's homepage! Add evo8 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
kevin shawn
Like a six ton megabomb

I did replace my PSU last year, it worked for a good 6 months with no reboots or kernel panics. Currently dual booting with seperate HDs, most restarts are when I'm gaming on PC. It will do it randomly when in OSX. My office does get a little warm evo I probably need to reinstall my heatsink.

I am wanting to build a new machine for gaming and I guess whatever parts don't fix it when troubleshooting could go towards a new build. Hopefully it will be as easy as a tube of thermal paste

Old Post May-26-2011 22:57  United States

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > How to get a super cheap but seriously powerful mac....
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (6): « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackCheck this track... [2006] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackAfricanism All Stars - Summer Moon (F Me I'm Famous Mix) [2005]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread