Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > That Jason Porter set which couldn't have been made in 1994. . . .
Pages (6): « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Vernon Wanderer
Eye Q'ed

I recommend the 1992 studio mix, mainly because of the track @22minutes, perfect trance IMO. And the rest of the tracks are awesome.

Vernon Wanderer will rediscover his roots back unto wandering vast endless plains miserably....

Old Post Dec-11-2012 18:07 
Click Here to See the Profile for Vernon Wanderer Click here to Send Vernon Wanderer a Private Message Add Vernon Wanderer to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
ecksemmess
tranceaddict

Oh lordy!! Missing out on this much fun almost makes me wish I stopped by this place more than twice a year! I never really took all this conspiracy-hoax-insanity seriously before but now that it seems to be catching on, let me take this opportunity to nip it in the bud- I AM NOT JASON PORTER, for the love of god. I will certainly admit that the whole thing should seem fishy to any reasonable person, shit, it seems fishy to me! But the reality is what it is. I saw a man who I was told was called Jason Porter spin live, repeatedly, about fifteen times ranging from the Autumn of 1992 to Xmas break 1994. (Yes, I've said earlier that I saw him "dozens of times" or "a thousand times" or some such exaggeration. I'm a pathological exaggerator.) But wait- the story gets even LESS believable! I haven't mentioned my age on here I don't believe, but I was in fact FOURTEEN years old in 1992. Clubbing at 14? Yep! So chew on THAT.

There seem to be 2 things the tinfoil hat nutters on here can't get past, namely the sample in Trellis which is supposedly off-date (haven't checked), and the electronic piece I did called Trial of the Mind. I will grant, Trial of the Mind is OBSCENELY derivative of Jason Porter's mixes. Those of you who have assumed the same person made both aren't hallucinating the resemblence. But the fact is, Trial of the Mind was the result of a year and a half of painstaking attempts on my part SPECIFICALLY to replicate Jason Porter's style- attempts that were directly inspired when I heard tell from my one mate about the possibility of finding some old Jason Porter bootlegs (he did later come through and those sets were ultimately shared here along with the ones I found on the Bay). From the looks of it, I succeeded eh! I'm flattered really!

Plenty of other lame accusations barely worth responding to- e.g.

"He didn't even bother tracking down the seller on eBay" - went apeshit trying to do just that, thank you.

"How could he have seen Porter spin many times when his name was never on the flyers" - not one but TWO close family friends worked in clubs in the south of Spain during that period, where we often went on holiday and where Porter seemed to spin constantly around then (also a big help as I was trying to get in there at 15, barely looking 13)

"Jason Porter changed his life but then he forgot all about him" - nitpicking something I said about the memories having faded. Of course the memories faded, I hadn't been able to listen to the music for over a decade!

I could go on (and on, and on) but I just don't see the point. It's like politics or religion after a point. Those of you who have some inner need to believe in a grand conspiracy will always do so I suppose, just check Occam's Razor on Wikipedia and ask yourself whether it's really harder to believe that a guy on TA is obsessed with an extremely obscure DJ, and maybe got some mis-dated mixes of his, and made his own music directly copying those mixes--or, that said guy on TA spent what apparently must have been YEARS painstakingly building a huge body of music and mixes and an endless fake story, JUST to release it all to a small group of trance music fans on ONE website and then do nothing with it ever again. Christ, say it out loud and see how silly it sounds.

Anyway thanks for the laugh guys, and I'm sure many of you will be more convinced than ever of your paranoia after reading all this, but, nothing I could do about that I suppose! Have a good one

Old Post Feb-01-2013 20:36  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for ecksemmess Click here to Send ecksemmess a Private Message Add ecksemmess to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Woony
Supreme tranceaddict

Why are you taking a (in your own words) reasonable assumption so freaking personally?

Old Post Feb-01-2013 20:43 
Click Here to See the Profile for Woony Click here to Send Woony a Private Message Add Woony to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
ecksemmess
tranceaddict

Sorry if I was a bit too snippy mate- I'm not offended per se I just find the whole thing ridiculous. Although maybe come to think of it I am just the littlest bit offended, when a whole gang of people are just about calling me a liar when all I ever wanted to do was share some little-known music...no hard feelings though, but a man's got to defend himself, eh

Old Post Feb-01-2013 20:54  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for ecksemmess Click here to Send ecksemmess a Private Message Add ecksemmess to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

quote:
Originally posted by ecksemmess
I will grant, Trial of the Mind is OBSCENELY derivative of Jason Porter's mixes. Those of you who have assumed the same person made both aren't hallucinating the resemblence. But the fact is, Trial of the Mind was the result of a year and a half of painstaking attempts on my part SPECIFICALLY to replicate Jason Porter's style

Despite the fact you posted it on TA five months before you discovered a Jason Porter mix on eBay and were reminded of a DJ who "had become a dull memory". Amazing that you could start work on painstakingly recreating the sound of a producer you'd half-forgotten almost two years before you had any audio examples to work on, and get your recreation so spot on. Occam's Razor, anyone?

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Feb-01-2013 21:03  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
ecksemmess
tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
Despite the fact you posted it on TA five months before you discovered a Jason Porter mix on eBay and were reminded of a DJ who "had become a dull memory". Amazing that you could start work on painstakingly recreating the sound of a producer you'd half-forgotten almost two years before you had any audio examples to work on, and get your recreation so spot on. Occam's Razor, anyone?

Spoke to my mate about the mixes endlessly starting in Late 2004, which was what inspired me to do Trial of the Mind as well as start looking every day on eBay, which finally paid off when I found Trellis. It also inspired me to dig up the old sheet music I had written in the 90's early mornings after returning home from the club, making notes of my favorite tracks and bits I'd heard that night. Helped a lot, making the dull memories a bit less dull.

Old Post Feb-01-2013 21:07  United States
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

And yet you didn't so much as mention Jason Porter even once in your thread about Trial Of The Mind.

Old Post Feb-01-2013 21:13  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
ecksemmess
tranceaddict

Getting tiresome mate. If the best you've got is that I failed to shout my unoriginality from the rooftops when promoting my own work, I'll take this opportunity to bow out. At the end of the day I'm not nearly as concerned about convincing anyone as I must seem to be. Just trying to do my due diligence to put in a good word for the truth of the situation. In any case, I'm glad people are still enjoying the mixes as much as I am! Later, everyone.

Old Post Feb-01-2013 21:22  United States
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

quote:
Getting tiresome mate. If the best you've got is that I failed to shout my unoriginality from the rooftops when promoting my own work, I'll take this opportunity to bow out.

No, the best I've got is that there is literally no information on this DJ available on the Internet that doesn't come from you. The next best thing I've got is the mountains of implausibilities and contradictions I've listed in this thread. Compared to that, the fact your track was made purposely as a slavish Jason Porter tribute, but you totally neglected to mention that fact (even though you happily talked about your influence from Mike Oldfield in the same thread) is pretty small fry.

Old Post Feb-01-2013 21:30  England
paulversuspaul
Inventor of the fist pump

Bro just admit its you, be proud of your mix as its actually pretty good imo. I dont need to think that a professional dj made it as the quality of the mixing is good enough for a professional to have done it, and that is far more important than some outlandish tale about a once in a lifetime dj who disappeared like a thief in the night.

This guy needs to come back

Old Post Feb-02-2013 01:09  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for paulversuspaul Click here to Send paulversuspaul a Private Message Add paulversuspaul to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Jivemaster
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Getting tiresome mate. If the best you've got is that I failed to shout my unoriginality from the rooftops when promoting my own work, I'll take this opportunity to bow out. At the end of the day I'm not nearly as concerned about convincing anyone as I must seem to be. Just trying to do my due diligence to put in a good word for the truth of the situation. In any case, I'm glad people are still enjoying the mixes as much as I am! Later, everyone.

ecksemmess hello mate!! Rich here we used to chat quite a lot back in the old days of msn. Just to let everyone know, ecksemmess is a hardcore collector of dancemusic and he is passionate about collecting mixes from certain periods. He used to download and trade mixes all the time! I first met him when he kept chasing me to upload Scott Bond live @ Gatecrasher, August 1997 on the oldskoolanthemz forum back in October 2006. It is now featured in the Scott Bond Tracklistings Archive here He was persistent and I really do admire that quality in any trance enthusiast. After several back and forths, we started to chat online. He then started to talk about his past - living in the UK and then moving over to NY. I remember him saying to me, "if you love Scott Bond mixes, then check out this old mixtape that I converted of Jason Porter - Trellis, he has a similar style". This was my first introduction to Jason Porter and was just before he stuck up the Trellis mix on tranceaddict and it received all the hype.

In all truth, I don't think ecksemmess is Jason Porter. He's a die-hard fan of mixes (especially trance - he had a collection going back to the late 80's with Belgian Techno, House influences etc from what I remember) and it's the fact that he vanished leaving so very little information on the background of the DJ/amazing mixes, identity of these tunes which brings out all the conspiracy theories. The sad truth is that now, there's very few people with a historical and detailed trance knowledge like there used to be on here e.g. Aloep - they've all moved on. Just look at how few oldskool trance tracks are being identified on here whereas you want something played by Armin last year and it'll get recognized in a heartbeat! This is a crying shame as all we can do is rely on archives to piece things together and as there's still no conclusion, we have to jump to conclusions that this is some hoax.

ecksemmess, good to have you back and please stick around mate. Share some more oldskool gems with us. Your contribution of these wonderful mixes have been outstanding!

***Jivemaster***

Last edited by Jivemaster on Feb-15-2013 at 02:12

Old Post Feb-15-2013 02:03 
Click Here to See the Profile for Jivemaster Click here to Send Jivemaster a Private Message Visit Jivemaster's homepage! Add Jivemaster to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Spacey Orange
Hypnautic Beats Addict

...and the plot thickens.

Still up:1:2

Down:3:4:5

Old Post Feb-15-2013 02:42  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Spacey Orange Click here to Send Spacey Orange a Private Message Add Spacey Orange to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > That Jason Porter set which couldn't have been made in 1994. . . .
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (6): « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackPlease help to ID this great Track!!!! [2006] [3]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackSinema ft. Sandra - "Keep Me Hangin' On" (Original Mix) [2003]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread