|Originally posted by deegee |
I can't really comment on the track because it's not in a style I really enjoy so I don't think I could be useful. Production seems tight though--and I looooooooove the vocal. Overprocessed for my taste but I like it a lot.
- the clap or snare is distorted in a way that just doesn't work with the rest of the track. try softening it out a bit--it punches too much through the mix for me. After the breakdown it's much better.
- I like that pad/synth sound that shows up around 0:50. Sounds very smooth, for lack of a better term. Probably something I'd fix on if I were hearing it on a dancefloor.
- the off-8 blip at the beginning is just distracting, doesn't feel like it's sitting in the mix
- the vocals also don't feel like they're sitting in the mix--too front and centre. It's a little bit better when the vocal first enters during the breakdown
- I like the breakbeat in the breakdown, though there's some weird stuttering? I'd turn the whole phrase with the kick-snare-kick-snare into a breakbeat
Other than that this feels like it's got some great pieces, but it doesn't feel like it goes much of anywhere. There's no real energy buildup or release, not even just sort of a relentless/driving/hypnotic feel to fit in a set somewhere. I'd like to feel more of a splash when the vocals kick in, you know? Don't get me wrong, I don't think this is terrible; as said above the basic structure is there, just needs some shaping.
Anyone care to have a go at this WIP? I'm mainly at the stage where I'm endlessly fussing with tiny things so I can avoid doing a final mixdown. I'm aware some of the EQ needs work--waiting for some time with a friend's good monitors. Thoughts, anyone? Don't hold back.
volume is seriously low for some reason, anyway, not sure that kick fits this track, sounds more like a big techno kick, wouldnt be a fan of the overall style of the track, sorry