Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > The best and the worst GU's
Pages (7): « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Scoops
4 bags deep

quote:
Originally posted by montana
play by play then:

020 emerson - singapore. it's almost as good as his uruguay mix, i think i just like the uruguay one more, but this is top notch stuff, great blend of house & techno. altho, emerson's exclusive remix of man with the red face is nothing to write home about.

been listening to this one a lot lately.....

this one is really worth the $$ just for disc 2 alone

Old Post Feb-21-2017 18:10 
Click Here to See the Profile for Scoops Click here to Send Scoops a Private Message Add Scoops to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

Wow, bump from the dead.

It is pretty good though and it reminds me of living in TO, especially hatiras - spaced invader. Was a smart move to end the mix with Man With The Red face.

Weirdly, one of my favorite GU's is actually the GU SAM:1

It's mainly teh schranz but it's a work of art. I think I picked it up for 4 quid in tower records camden high street. Probably the best music buy I ever made. The mixing on it is basic/functional but it's really about the tracks, which are all classics.

Highly recommend for anyone that hasn't heard it.

Old Post Feb-21-2017 18:29 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Sushipunk
Flickering, I roam

quote:
Originally posted by Sushipunk
I like (and own) quite a few of them, but my favourite? I don't know, maybe Sasha - San Francisco I think, especially disk 2.

So I still feel the same as I did roughly 10 years ago, lol. Disk 2 of 009 is total fire. I actually had it on in the car last week, and it makes it quite difficult to drive under the speed limit, especially when Breeder - The Chain kicks in.

Old Post Feb-21-2017 21:56  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for Sushipunk Click here to Send Sushipunk a Private Message Visit Sushipunk's homepage! Add Sushipunk to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mr Game+Watch
Luka Luka * Night Fever

Interesting timing, as I was doing some cleaning up and found my Dave Seaman in Melbourne CD. Didn't really give this one a listen when I got it (bought it for dirt cheap during an FYE closing sale as digital started taking over) - only heard the first disk so far and I enjoy how it starts, but it feels very stop-and-go... like songs won't even be mixed and the tone will change. Some nice ethnic flourishes and wailing, and the first 2 songs, spacey ambient tracks are great. But the album kinda drones on and the tracks blend into one another like a lot of 2001-2002 era prog tends to.

Will have to take a listen to the second disk soon.

Quarantine Music Festival 2020

All My Mixes!

Old Post Feb-21-2017 22:02  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Mr Game+Watch Click here to Send Mr Game+Watch a Private Message Visit Mr Game+Watch's homepage! Add Mr Game+Watch to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

quote:
Originally posted by Sushipunk
So I still feel the same as I did roughly 10 years ago, lol. Disk 2 of 009 is total fire. I actually had it on in the car last week, and it makes it quite difficult to drive under the speed limit, especially when Breeder - The Chain kicks in.

I have two principal beefs with the second disc of GU:009. Firstly, cutting out the intro to Blue in favour of that SFX nonsense right at the start. And secondly, fading out during the breakdown of I Dream right at the end. Both unforgivable sins.

I think the first disc of GU:013 is just about perfection as far as a progressive mix goes. You can't really do any more with the 80 minute confines of a compact disc. The second disc is just a string of anthems loosely stitched together, as uncle montana highlighted a decade ago.

Overall though, I find relatively few of the Global Undergrounds to be really satisfying. There are Essential Mixes from all the same DJs and the same period that absolutely shit all over their dull ProTooled outings under the Global Underground banner.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Feb-21-2017 22:13  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list SYSTEM-J is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Sushipunk
Flickering, I roam

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
And secondly, fading out during the breakdown of I Dream right at the end.

Actually, I cannot agree with you more on this one. I Dream is one of my all time favourite prog tracks, and that still pisses me off to this day. Good call.

Old Post Feb-21-2017 22:16  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for Sushipunk Click here to Send Sushipunk a Private Message Visit Sushipunk's homepage! Add Sushipunk to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
LoveHate

How many gu's did nick warren do?

I have a feeling he holds the title for the best and worst gu's ever

With sharam and dubfire as close contenders for the latter.

Old Post Feb-21-2017 22:30  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for LoveHate Click here to Send LoveHate a Private Message Add LoveHate to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Paradox Lost
In This Twilight

quote:
Originally posted by LoveHate
How many gu's did nick warren do?

I have a feeling he holds the title for the best and worst gu's ever

With sharam and dubfire as close contenders for the latter.

They may be responsible for two of the worst as individuals, but let's not forgot that together they gave us GU: Toronto (and Moscow, sure).

I wouldn't say Warren necessarily did any bad ones- as far as I can recall the handful he did toward the end of the 90's was just built along the same progressive that was in style at the time, and the last couple he did toward the end of the 2000's were when the prog house for which he was later reputed had gasped its last breath. But his Reykjavik and Shanghai editions are two of the best in GU's catalogue, and in all of Warren's discography.

No one seems to talk very much about the GU's Warren did in the 90's, which is funny considering that by 2000 he already had just as many total GU's as Dave Seaman at four editions.

Last edited by Paradox Lost on Feb-22-2017 at 08:49

Old Post Feb-22-2017 08:41  Palestine
Click Here to See the Profile for Paradox Lost Click here to Send Paradox Lost a Private Message Add Paradox Lost to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Kilixpree
Supreme tranceaddict

GU019 is the sickest, imo. Also I really like GU015 (disc1), mainly because it's different from the typical progressive mix that is offered by the other mixes - it's more techno/hardhouse based (like gu024 cd1 being ambient).

Old Post Feb-22-2017 09:02  Brazil
Click Here to See the Profile for Kilixpree Click here to Send Kilixpree a Private Message Add Kilixpree to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

quote:
Originally posted by Paradox Lost
No one seems to talk very much about the GU's Warren did in the 90's, which is funny considering that by 2000 he already had just as many total GU's as Dave Seaman at four editions.

The mixing on 018 was fucking rubbish, I remember that much. It's difficult to justify ProTooling together a mere eleven tunes per disc when you can't even pull out some fancy dan mixing to knit them together.

As for 019, put me down in the "deeply boring" camp.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Feb-22-2017 20:12  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list SYSTEM-J is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
evo8
Virtual Wannabe

love the opening 3 tracks on 019

Old Post Feb-22-2017 23:54  Ireland
Click Here to See the Profile for evo8 Click here to Send evo8 a Private Message Visit evo8's homepage! Add evo8 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Kilixpree
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by evo8
love the opening 3 tracks on 019

imo, the best track selection and the best mixing.

the transition "apollo vibes" -> "love in traffic", "inner laugh" -> "the fall" -> "one last time"... srsly, always blows my mind. Also I was amazed for knowing only two tracks before hearing the mix. Feels good when, after you heard a mix, 15+ new great tracks to your library of good shit. I feel like the opposite in the majority of Seaman mixes - always filled with good, but pretty known tracks.

Old Post Feb-23-2017 00:44  Brazil
Click Here to See the Profile for Kilixpree Click here to Send Kilixpree a Private Message Add Kilixpree to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > The best and the worst GU's
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (7): « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackI need help with id [2005] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackWhiteroom - "Whiteroom" [2004]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread