Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Promotion > Suggestions and Comments!
Pages (11): « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
idoru
You Can Call Me Al

Taken from the top 10 thread...

quote:
Originally posted by Allied Nations
Yeah.

If it becomes a problem I'll solve it, since when is this just the mix promotion forum?

I don't know, I guess it would just be too messy if everybody posted their own. If we really want our own Top 10 in this part of the forum, then perhaps a general thread (stickied or not) would suffice. I just think that there's no need to clutter this area when other threads like this are just four clicks and five seconds away.

Old Post Dec-09-2006 01:45 
Click Here to See the Profile for idoru Click here to Send idoru a Private Message Add idoru to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Allied Nations
Make it happen cap'n

quote:
Originally posted by idoru
Taken from the top 10 thread...

I don't know, I guess it would just be too messy if everybody posted their own. If we really want our own Top 10 in this part of the forum, then perhaps a general thread (stickied or not) would suffice. I just think that there's no need to clutter this area when other threads like this are just four clicks and five seconds away.

When I look at that thread I read it from a music listeners perspective, when I read a top 10 or make a top 10 it's purely a DJ thing. These are tunes I'm spinning right and and could be expected from me as a DJ right now. Maybe a sticky could work. People have been posting top 10s in here for quite a while, but then I, the moderator, do it and have people all over me.

I read people's top 10s in here and have no problem with it at all.

Old Post Dec-09-2006 01:53 
Click Here to See the Profile for Allied Nations Click here to Send Allied Nations a Private Message Add Allied Nations to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
idoru
You Can Call Me Al

quote:
Originally posted by Allied Nations
When I look at that thread I read it from a music listeners perspective, when I read a top 10 or make a top 10 it's purely a DJ thing. These are tunes I'm spinning right and and could be expected from me as a DJ right now. Maybe a sticky could work. People have been posting top 10s in here for quite a while, but then I, the moderator, do it and have people all over me.

I read people's top 10s in here and have no problem with it at all.

I read that thread as both. My list in the thread represents me as a DJ. However, that may not, and in most cases is more than likely not the case for most people posting in that thread.

While I have no objection to Top 10's being in here, I think that they would need to be contained. This section of the forum has a sort of unwritten rules. It's like when you enter a men's restroom; it's commonly understood that you do not make conversation, and that you must keep at least a one urinal buffer between you and the next person. Such is the case here; this section is generally a place where we post mixes.

Granted, just like someone will stand at the urinal right next to yours or attempt to make small-talk, someone will post something out of the ordinary. You know it doesn't fit, but because it's so rare you just shrug it off.

There's my attempt at a lame analogy, but I think it gets my point across.

Old Post Dec-09-2006 01:59 
Click Here to See the Profile for idoru Click here to Send idoru a Private Message Add idoru to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Allied Nations
Make it happen cap'n

quote:
Originally posted by idoru
I read that thread as both. My list in the thread represents me as a DJ. However, that may not, and in most cases is more than likely not the case for most people posting in that thread.

While I have no objection to Top 10's being in here, I think that they would need to be contained. This section of the forum has a sort of unwritten rules. It's like when you enter a men's restroom; it's commonly understood that you do not make conversation, and that you must keep at least a one urinal buffer between you and the next person. Such is the case here; this section is generally a place where we post mixes.

Granted, just like someone will stand at the urinal right next to yours or attempt to make small-talk, someone will post something out of the ordinary. You know it doesn't fit, but because it's so rare you just shrug it off.

There's my attempt at a lame analogy, but I think it gets my point across.

I've never thought top 10s were out of the ordinary and often wondered why more weren't posted. I like a solid top 10 with some nice comments, but for organizational reasons a sticky makes more sense. It doesnt lead to the same discussions, comments, or promotion of the tunes - but whatever...

Old Post Dec-09-2006 02:04 
Click Here to See the Profile for Allied Nations Click here to Send Allied Nations a Private Message Add Allied Nations to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Allied Nations
Make it happen cap'n

Organize the top 10s and sort them out, but fuck the rules about how to title a thread even know they really make a lot of sense.

Some of you seriously confuse me.

Old Post Dec-09-2006 02:12 
Stu Cox
Supreme smackaddict

Re: the Top 10s thing...

This forum IS called the DJ Promotion Forum, so with that title personally I feel it should be open to any DJ to use it to promote themselves... including charts, demos, forthcoming gig listings and the forbidden radio show plugs(!) as these are all promotional tools for DJs.

It looks like any thread with anything other than a downloadable mix in here gets slated (I've been told myself on several occasions that my chart & info threads don't belong here because it's not a mix etc etc) - so surely if that's the case then isn't life gonna be SO much easier if this is renamed the DJ Mixes forum?

The idea of a top 10s sticky is fine if you want to keep anything other than mixes out of the bulk of this forum, but it does pretty much stop people from being able to comment on charts etc - some of the other forums I'm on have dedicated charts forums which means you get loads of people asking where they can find certain tracks, what a particular track's like that they haven't heard and thanking the DJ for charting their tracks etc, which is all really good as it gets more people involved and more people talking about the music - which will basically mean no one will really bother looking at the thread other than when they post their own mixes.

It also mean that I (and other DJs) have nowhere to post general info (forthcoming gigs, what I'm generally up to as a DJ - basically my 'DJ Promotion'), not to mention that my chart tends to be a top 20, not a top 10!

Again, if this became a DJ Mixes forum then maybe there should be another DJ Promotion forum allowing people to actually post general DJ promotion threads - info, charts, etc etc... but personally I hate the idea of splitting these things up too much.

Just as a side note, someone mentioned that charts would be more suitable in the Music Discussion forum... is there a rule saying that DJs shouldn't post such promotional threads in there (or are the Nazis who run this place likely to haul people off to Auschwitz if they do)?

Old Post Dec-09-2006 15:42  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for Stu Cox Click here to Send Stu Cox a Private Message Visit Stu Cox's homepage! Add Stu Cox to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
RJT
last minute disco

Anytime anyone posts multiple mixes at the same time, they should be condensed to a single thread.

Just post "______ - X# of mixes for this month."

If they go up weeks apart, it's not a problem, but IMO the page doesn't need to be littered with a ton of threads at the same time from the same user.

Old Post Jan-02-2007 20:07 
Click Here to See the Profile for RJT Click here to Send RJT a Private Message Visit RJT's homepage! Add RJT to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
ZeJayMan
the farthammer

Aye, HAve one thread per person and bump/rename when you release a new mix.

Old Post Mar-16-2007 01:08 
Click Here to See the Profile for ZeJayMan Click here to Send ZeJayMan a Private Message Add ZeJayMan to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
tubularbills
Max Power!

just a quick note, please make sure your host is a solid one. like, one that doesn't have any limitations on it [i.e. too many downloads per day, or "you tried to download this already....plz wait 127 minutes". etc..etc...

can't listen if your host sucks. sory.

Old Post Apr-18-2007 01:09  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for tubularbills Click here to Send tubularbills a Private Message Add tubularbills to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Beatflux
Rising Star in training

It seems like a lot of DJs are posting mixes for feedback, but they aren't listening to other DJ sets.

There was a recommendation in the Producer Promotion forum to have new posters review 4 tracks after. Maybe posters in this forum should opt to review at least two other sets, preferably ones that want feedback and haven't been reviewed yet. I know some regulars to give feedback, like Knotty, but most of the time DJs do not review other sets.

Old Post May-10-2007 23:08  Trinidad and Tobago
Click Here to See the Profile for Beatflux Click here to Send Beatflux a Private Message Add Beatflux to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
all-nite-freak

I think a rule to posting your mixes here should be including the label in the tracklisting. I've been browsing a few mixes, and i see so many tracks that unless they have the promo or vinyl...the only way to get it digitally is illegally.(I'm saying this because I know it was mixed digitally). Yes they can search for the info, but at least it will make them work harder for being asshole music thiefs. Its one thing to play pirated stuff for yourself, quite another to promote yourself with it.

Old Post May-23-2007 06:10 
Click Here to See the Profile for all-nite-freak Click here to Send all-nite-freak a Private Message Add all-nite-freak to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Beatflux
Rising Star in training

Uploaders really need to check their links to make sure they work. I've run into a couple that don't.

Old Post May-26-2007 17:30  Trinidad and Tobago
Click Here to See the Profile for Beatflux Click here to Send Beatflux a Private Message Add Beatflux to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Promotion > Suggestions and Comments!
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (11): « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackub deviod with some samples [2004] [4]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackAshtrax - "Digital Reason" (Ogenki Clinic Remix) [2003]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread