Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Ben Liebrand
Pages (7): « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Trance-M
Since 1994 tranceaddict

Good old Ben shows Ableton playing his newest mash-up:

Awesome older one: Faithless vs. Prodigy - Bitch as One

@3:43 airplane buildup?

Longest (classic) Trance playlist on YouTube (5000 tracks released up to and including 1997), click here

Old Post Oct-11-2014 18:47  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Trance-M Click here to Send Trance-M a Private Message Add Trance-M to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Trance-M
Since 1994 tranceaddict

Ben's remake of the Grandmix 2004 is very cool and since someone put it on Mixcloud I might as well put it here, enjoy the 3 hours.
Like all his Grandmixes the start is slow:

Tracklist at Ben's site:
http://www.liebrand.nl/cd/gm2004/index.html

Longest (classic) Trance playlist on YouTube (5000 tracks released up to and including 1997), click here

Old Post Oct-20-2014 16:31  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Trance-M Click here to Send Trance-M a Private Message Add Trance-M to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Trance-M
Since 1994 tranceaddict

Old stuff, in Dutch but it shows the nerd in Ben.
Hardwell this week said:"All DJ's are nerds". Well, not nearly as a nerd as Ben:

Youngsters of 30 maybe remember ALF

Old Post Oct-21-2014 18:00  Netherlands
Trance-M
Since 1994 tranceaddict

Interesting reading, Ben's reply at the Pioneer DJ forum after performing his one hour track Modular1 live using 4x Pioneer CDJ-1000MK2, 2x Pioneer CDJ-1000, 2x Alesis AirFX and 6 prepared cd's.

http://forums-archive.pioneerdj.com.../2751075014/p/2

quote:
I am Ben Liebrand, and here is some background info on this thread:

About innovative:
The track modular-1 is a one hour trance track I composed for my upcoming DVD with DJ Visuals.
These DJ Visuals were created by myself using 3D software running on Silicon Graphics Hardware, composited and edited on Digital Fusion and Final Cut Studio. These visuals find their roots in the Artwork I designed and created to accompany the Grandmixes I make each year (the 1st of which was in 1983 but more about that later).
Modular-1 was composed in Ableton Live! and due to the load of synth plug-ins needs a 2x2.5 GHz MAC G5 to run on smoothly. Such a Mac is not what I would prefer to tug along into a smokey envrionment such as a dance party. The track could be split up, but needed a minimum of 6 stereo pairs to capture all instrument groups. Only one track held drums and another percussion. I used 2 cdj1000 MK1's and 4 MKII's which I can asure you, the MKI's and MKII's do NOT run in sync as they run slightly adrift even at locked 0% settings. Furthermore, there where no beats to sync to in 4 out of 6 players as they consisted of sequences often running syncopated to each other. 3 of the 6 players ran thru Alesis AirFX units for real time filtering and effects. And the set ran for over 40 minutes. When DJ-ing live I always use 4 Pioneer CDJ1000's running different tracks on all 4 with up to 4 tracks running in sync with all 4 faders open. I have been doing this since 2003, and am using CDJ1000's as the very first DJ's since 2001 (The 1st CDJ1000 I ever used had no serial number and a huge orange sticker on the bottom reading "sample").

On with innovative:
In 1978 I was probably one of the very first DJ's who used videoclips in a club, played from a U-matic recorder. I was one of the 1st DJ's to use SL1200's when everybody was still using Thorens in 1979, One of the 1st to use 3 SL1200's in 1980, the 1st DJ in The Netherlands to mix the 1st non-stop radio show on Dutch Radio. It was the 1st time that SL1200's were heard on National Radio as all turntables used by the NOS (Dutch Broadcasting Society) were EMT's. I was the 1st to mix a yearmix with more than 100 tracks in 1 hour in 1983, the 1st DJ in the Netherlands to also produce and remix in 1983, the 1st to use a Linndrum computer in a live DJ-set in 1983, the 1st to use tapeloops for beats in a DJ yearmix in 1984, the 1st to use SL1200's who triggered phase locked digital samplers in 1985, the 1st to play videoclips in sync with vinyl mixed records in 1986, the 1st to use an AKAI sampler in a live DJ set in 1986, the 1st to broadcast his mix digitally from a Sony PCM-F1 in 1986, the first to use the Sony PCM F-1 on a beta hifi deck with timecode running along with my multitrack outtakes for remix purposes in 1986, the 1st DJ actually playing all instruments, doing the arranging, engineering and mixdown himself on all remixes for other artists, the 1st to mix a 1 hour dance mix completely digital in 1988 using AKAI DR1200 digital tape recorders, the 1st to mix and edit it in 1989 using an AKAI DD1000 digital editor, the 1st to use 2 AKAI DD1000's synced to timecode to make a more complex mix in 1990, the 1st to have some 20 headphone amps + headphones hanging round my DJ booth so people could listen in to my headphone cue to hear what I was doing in 2001, the 1st to use 2 turntables + 2 CDJ1000's + 2 AirFX units in 2002, the 1st to use 5 CDJ1000's in a DJ set in 2003, the 1st to use 4 ever since that day in 2003 and now 6 in 2005 for making a live mixdown of my track modular-1. An idea by the way which came up less than 12 hours earlier and was not rehearsed or tested previous to performing it live before an audience of mixfreaks.

I am sure some of these things might have been done by others at the same time or even earlier, but remember, there was no such thing as Google or even internet at the time and therfore no means to research it or find out otherwise what other people were doing. It was simply what I felt I needed to do.

I hope this answers your questions on the subject of innovative, and YES, the mixfreaks party's are meant to show of and explore the boundaries of DJ-ing. And what to one person might sound as showing of, certainly as listed in the form above, to me at the time it was simply pushing the limit and raising the bar, for that is what I prefer to do.

Greetings Ben Liebrand
(Who invites all to see him spinning live on 4CDJ's and convince themselves.)

Old Post Oct-25-2014 09:24  Netherlands
Trance-M
Since 1994 tranceaddict

I was listening to some minimixes from Ben and this one was a really nice one. I also IMO shows why mixing in the late 80's and 90's was something amazing: Mai Tai & Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Relax in History

I guess this one from 1989 shows nicely why I liked trance before I actually had heard it: Puls(t)ar

Old Post Nov-21-2014 22:37  Netherlands
Trance-M
Since 1994 tranceaddict

Looking forward to this, made in Canada by the way, including the artwork straight from the Grandmix Cave.

Ben:
quote:
Done!!!!! 101 tracks! Just under 3 hours!

The Grandmix returns to the radio station where it al began!
Radio Veronica! New Year's Eve from 18:00 to 21:00

This Grandmix returns to the old format of starting of slow and gradually building up through R&B, Deep House, House, Club, Trance and a bit of Hardstyle. 100 - 175 BPM

2014 was an exceptionally good year. The tracks we had selected just fell naturally into place. Some awesome house as well like Chocolate Puma's Step Back. 3 tracks did not come through, a bit of a shame, but no biggie as the 'gaps' also were so easy to fix.
The intro is cool with just one robot droid going bonkers, loosing it and starting to 'sing' song titles. It's so hard to find reliable droids these days.

The intro always has been one of the trademarks of Ben's Grandmixes. He uses his own voice and shared some info on his FB:

quote:
Speaking the voice parts for the Vocoder.
- From the mic through the Presonus mixer into Logic Pro.
- Selection and clean-up of the best lines.
- Adding different synth carrier sounds to each sentence.
- Voice and Carrier synth sounds then travel from Logic Pro through the Presonus mixer to the Sennheiser Vocoder, which in turn is fed back through the mixer into Logic Pro on a new audio track.

It's enough to drive a robot-droid over the edge. I fear one of them just might go nuts!

Last edited by Trance-M on Dec-13-2014 at 16:34

Old Post Dec-13-2014 13:58  Netherlands
Trance-M
Since 1994 tranceaddict

Tomorrow 31st, the one and only Grandmix 2014 at 18:00 CET or UTC/GMT +1 hour

For those who like to listen, I hope this works:
Stream: http://www.radioveronica.nl/player/radio-veronica

http://www.radioveronica.nl

This year a bit special for me as I asked if Ben wanted to add RAM - Ramelia to the Grandmix as it's one of the most emotional trance tracks ever. It was released in December of last year so it couldn't be in last year's Grandmix. Ben confirmed to me he used the track and thought it probably is the longest fragment he used

Old Post Dec-30-2014 19:25  Netherlands
Trance-M
Since 1994 tranceaddict

This year it will be 30 years ago that Ben made this mix. Especially the first two tracks, Propaganda - P-Machinery and Kate Bush - Running Up That Hill made deep impression back then. At the time making mixes like this involved tape to glue it all together.

But not only Ben still makes his 1 hour mixes (In The Mix), but also the minimixes. Separate played these old 80-90's tracks don't always please me, but mashed up in a minimix it suddenly changes:

Ben Liebrand Minimix 28-03-2015 - Chic & Class Action - Soup For The Weekend

Old Post Mar-29-2015 19:43  Netherlands
Trance-M
Since 1994 tranceaddict

For Disco lovers something to look out for next May:

quote:
25 years after Styles, Ben Liebrand releases his new Artist Album, Iconic Groove An album capturing those bass lines, riffs and rhythms that move the dance floor. An album covering every aspect of your weekend, from getting ready to go out, the trip to the venue in the limo, me trying to get there on time, the people you meet, the artists you see, the moves you make all the way till you see the sunrise after closing time. Inspired by all that I love, with Tony Scott, James D'Train Williams, Cerrone and many more. Straight from planet 'Disco' arriving in my 'Lunar Terra Lander'!

Old Post Mar-29-2015 19:49  Netherlands
Trance-M
Since 1994 tranceaddict

I love this minimix (especially the 2nd half) of Energy 52 – Cafe Del Mar vs David Guetta – Love, Don’t Let Me Go (and a little Let The Bass Kick):

Ben Liebrand MiniMix 25-04-2015 by Ron Lokkerbol on Mixcloud

Old Post May-03-2015 15:29  Netherlands
Trance-M
Since 1994 tranceaddict

Ben's promo video is really pretty cool to watch.

Old Post Jun-29-2015 20:43  Netherlands
Trance-M
Since 1994 tranceaddict

Very nostalgic mood suddenly, this was WOW WTF back then in 1987:

Looking back, I was only 12 years old recording this for the radio, thought I was older:

Playlist and gearlist check YT comments.

Last edited by Trance-M on Jul-24-2015 at 21:21

Old Post Jul-24-2015 21:12  Netherlands

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Ben Liebrand
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (7): « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackHouse track 2 from Layo & Bushwacka Set ID PLS [2007] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackVirtual DJ - "From Sunset To Sunrise" (Gigi Lav Remix) [2003]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread