Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Ambient versus New Age
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Titanium
Supreme tranceaddict

Isn't Enya New Age or something like this?

http://stellar1.bandcamp.com/album/...light-e-p-vol-1

This is ambient

Old Post Jul-06-2012 02:17 
Click Here to See the Profile for Titanium Click here to Send Titanium a Private Message Add Titanium to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
tubularbills
Max Power!

I think the two are sometimes hard to differentiate (sp?) between the other. Mike Oldfield did a decent job of crossing between the two, or at least blending them together; though I think he was more "New Age" (re: Tubular Bells)

Old Post Jul-07-2012 22:05  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for tubularbills Click here to Send tubularbills a Private Message Add tubularbills to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

I've actually been listening to quite a lot of borderline New Age material on Spotify recently. I tend to play space music when I get in from work and I'm half asleep, because it's a waste to try and process any complicated music in that mental state but I still want to chill out to something.

One thing I've noticed is that New Age musicians tend to openly advertise their work as being perfect background music for spas, cafés and healing crystal apothecaries, where as ambient artists tend to treat their own music as something deserving of close attention. New Age ambient tends to exclusively concerned with creating a pleasant atmosphere that is totally functional, where as more serious ambient is devoted to building a powerful mood, which is not always pleasant or relaxing.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Jul-14-2012 16:49  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Acton
Like a FCKNG BIRD

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
One thing I've noticed is that New Age musicians tend to openly advertise their work as being perfect background music for spas, cafés and healing crystal apothecaries, where as ambient artists tend to treat their own music as something deserving of close attention. New Age ambient tends to exclusively concerned with creating a pleasant atmosphere that is totally functional, where as more serious ambient is devoted to building a powerful mood, which is not always pleasant or relaxing.

I certainly agree with this.

I don't blame them for capitalising on the 'relaxation' industry, though. It works well when having a massage or whatever.... and there's certainly a market for it, albeit a rather small one.

Not to say I don't enjoy the 'droney' kind of ambient, but I certainly prefer a piece that evokes some emotion. That's generally my like/dislike filter for any track really, regardless of genre...

... anyway, Solar Fields or Jonsi & Alex, anyone?

>>> Beatport Stuff <<<

Old Post Jul-14-2012 21:14  England
Click Here to See the Profile for Acton Click here to Send Acton a Private Message Visit Acton's homepage! Add Acton to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Joss Weatherby
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Vector A
Yeah, he makes ambient, or used to at least.

Still making ambient, or at least when I find the spark to I guess.

Two of my tracks are in a documentary coming out next year.

Old Post Jul-15-2012 00:16 
Click Here to See the Profile for Joss Weatherby Click here to Send Joss Weatherby a Private Message Visit Joss Weatherby's homepage! Add Joss Weatherby to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Magnetonium
Dubstep = Douchestep

The eclectic sound of "ambient music" of 70's and 80's in my view should be divided into 5 groups - Experimental, Minimal, Ambient, New Age and Berlin School. They were all a variation of the same source.

New Age is great, but it is often very hard for me to find the track that I like. There's just something about New Age that often makes my ear bleed - though there are plenty of it that I like, but some I cant stomach. I like Vangelis, William Aura, IASOS, Christopher Franke, Mars Lasar (MODERN NEW AGE), Patrick O'Hearn, some Constance Demby, etc. And some stuff like this - which has a perfect combination of New Age AND Berlin School (second half) - 1978:

The most, I LOVE space-disco-new-age kind of stuff. Here's a track I will be using in my next mix that I am working on right now - one of my all-time favourites. If you speed it up on the turntables it sounds like trance (from 1978). Those damn French had so much amazing EM music in the 70's:

New-er New Age that really drives my boat - perfect music for outdoors:

Then there's the Jean Michel Jarre-like variation of New Age that I like. Once again, French. 1976.

William Aura. The kind of New Age that I melt to.

And how about some Berlin School, guys??? German Berlin School, 1979.

Whenever you go and buy something, you are affecting someone somewhere, be it environment, a person, or a community - you're making a statement with what you buy. So make it a smart choice ... Its a big picture

Old Post Jul-15-2012 13:23  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Magnetonium Click here to Send Magnetonium a Private Message Visit Magnetonium's homepage! Add Magnetonium to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Joss Weatherby
Banned

All Berlin School reminds me of Tangerine Dream, and because of that, the movie Miracle Mile, which is a pretty bad ass everyone dies movie.

Old Post Jul-15-2012 16:13 
Click Here to See the Profile for Joss Weatherby Click here to Send Joss Weatherby a Private Message Visit Joss Weatherby's homepage! Add Joss Weatherby to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
tubularbills
Max Power!

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J

yeah totally agree with this.

this is probably one of my favorite new age albums. Not entirely new age, as I think it has some ambient sounds in it too, however.

Old Post Jul-19-2012 00:26  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for tubularbills Click here to Send tubularbills a Private Message Add tubularbills to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Ambient versus New Age
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (2): « 1 [2]  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackNot trance [2005] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackJamX & De-Leon featt. New Order - "Blue Monday 2004" [2004]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread