Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Canada > Canada - Toronto & Southern Ont. > The Guvernment - Share your fav memories/sets
Pages (5): « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
ItalianPoiSon
Mr. Rager

quote:
Originally posted by kotsy
From what I heard they wanted him to play more mainstreamish and since they he has sworn to never go back

quote:
Originally posted by Shaya007
Lets share a fun tid bit, d.js were forced to play that Gangnam b.s or don't play at all....

really ink did this? of course we expect this in vegas, Miami, and prbly most bottle service type clubs... but that is odd for guv to say that...

if we wanna talk worst guv experiences I remember an all access party... hmmm don't remember which one exact but the club was rather empty the main room was DJ AM and Team Canada and maybe boys noise wearing a batman tee... my god Team Canada and DJ AM (RIP) sucked big time!

Old Post Feb-05-2015 21:16  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for ItalianPoiSon Click here to Send ItalianPoiSon a Private Message Visit ItalianPoiSon's homepage! Add ItalianPoiSon to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
planetaryplayer
Surpeme traineanddict

For some reason I thought ingrosso would play some older stuff he and Angelo made. It was bad. 1h of sitting on the patio before I left

Old Post Feb-05-2015 22:09  Norfolk Island
Click Here to See the Profile for planetaryplayer Click here to Send planetaryplayer a Private Message Add planetaryplayer to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Knox
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by samhouse

Unkle Live DJ performance on the stage in the mainroom....also terrible but perhaps I didn't appreciate that genre of music then. I just remember hating it.

oh god. was that halloween 2004?!?!?! If so. Terrible My friends and I curled into a hole by the drink stairway....

Old Post Feb-07-2015 05:08  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Knox Click here to Send Knox a Private Message Add Knox to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Shaya007
SMILE...YOU'RE FAMOUS!!!

quote:
Originally posted by ItalianPoiSon
really ink did this? of course we expect this in vegas, Miami, and prbly most bottle service type clubs... but that is odd for guv to say that...

if we wanna talk worst guv experiences I remember an all access party... hmmm don't remember which one exact but the club was rather empty the main room was DJ AM and Team Canada and maybe boys noise wearing a batman tee... my god Team Canada and DJ AM (RIP) sucked big time!

someone's decision...

and I think the party you are referring too was Decadence 2007 ..terrible main room dj sets

Old Post Feb-07-2015 15:48 
Click Here to See the Profile for Shaya007 Click here to Send Shaya007 a Private Message Visit Shaya007's homepage! Add Shaya007 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SPANIARD
Supreme tranceaddict

So since it's been a couple of weeks since the official closing, I thought I'd give my 2 cents on my memories.

For me, the Guv main room set the standard for what was the conventional big room when it came to Electronic music. Every time I would listen to music and feel that it had a big room feel, the only thing in my mind was a vision of the main room at 3am. That's how much of an impact it had on me (not just me but many international DJ's and acts as well). Even though it had its fair share of negatives such as sound, capacity, patrons and the bookings for roughly its last 3 years in operation, it will always be remembered for bringing a different standard to the city.

Some of my best memories happened on the most simple of line ups. I'm the kind of clubber who would prefer to see one good DJ play an extended set and really go through his musical collection rather than seeing 3-4 DJ's just give you their peak hour. A normal Spin Saturday provided many nights of very long, journey style sets that were inspirational to the rest of the local DJ's who were able to hear first hand various styles in a massive room. Even up until my last night there for Digweed in October, I could still feel the effect of going through a long night in a big room with a proper conductor. That's what it's all about for me and I'm grateful to Guv for that.

It's kind of surreal now that Guv won't be around since it was such a landmark in the city. However, I hope that the concept of having a big, dark room and non-commercial music is attractive enough for entrepreneurs to invest in. The scene won't be the same without it.

Old Post Feb-09-2015 17:10  Spain
Click Here to See the Profile for SPANIARD Click here to Send SPANIARD a Private Message Add SPANIARD to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

quote:
Originally posted by SPANIARD
So since it's been a couple of weeks since the official closing, I thought I'd give my 2 cents on my memories.

For me, the Guv main room set the standard for what was the conventional big room when it came to Electronic music. Every time I would listen to music and feel that it had a big room feel, the only thing in my mind was a vision of the main room at 3am. That's how much of an impact it had on me (not just me but many international DJ's and acts as well). Even though it had its fair share of negatives such as sound, capacity, patrons and the bookings for roughly its last 3 years in operation, it will always be remembered for bringing a different standard to the city.

I agree 100%. Even as an amateur DJ, whenever I would mix some records in my bedroom, and I would play this giant chugging monster, I would instantly think: "Oh my god how awesome would this sound in the Guv main room..." and "I wonder how people would be reacting right now if this was played at the Guv main room peak time". I think the Guv main room acted as a sort of benchmark all aspiring DJs wanted to get to.

Old Post Feb-09-2015 17:39 
Add  to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Yohan
Champion of Deep&Nu-disco

I dunno about you guys, but my goal as an aspiring bedroom DJ was to play in the Guv main room once. Close I got to was an impromptu last min fill at Acid Lounge, but man. I'd have given my left nut to play in the main room once.

Originally posted by chinamon
not true. i say "ugh"
but i am a tranny.

quote:
Originally posted by kotsy
lol colour me retarded

Old Post Feb-09-2015 19:59  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Yohan Click here to Send Yohan a Private Message Add Yohan to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
jsibilin

Started coming to this crazy place back in 1999. I can remember it vividly to this day and it was so ironic that the last Gift some nut bag climbs to the top of the front right speaker just like back in '99 for Oakenfold. Met quite a few cool people and got to experience getting kicked out for smoking a joint in the smoke pit and missing Above&Beyond.. Many occasions running into a bit a problems people smoking inside and burning me..sketchbag can back me on that. Craziest room would have to be Gallery or that dark hallway that one guy almost molested me. Kotsy can back me there and gotta love security there, i asked them to throw the naked guy out and they have their flashlights on him.. he thinks he is getting a light show.

Really can't put down like a top 5 fav time there.. so many

Old Post Feb-10-2015 02:23  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for jsibilin Click here to Send jsibilin a Private Message Add jsibilin to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
samhouse
Scenester

quote:
Originally posted by chris1011
I agree 100%. Even as an amateur DJ, whenever I would mix some records in my bedroom, and I would play this giant chugging monster, I would instantly think: "Oh my god how awesome would this sound in the Guv main room..." and "I wonder how people would be reacting right now if this was played at the Guv main room peak time". I think the Guv main room acted as a sort of benchmark all aspiring DJs wanted to get to.

LOL I actually do sort some of my music this way.

Old Post Feb-16-2015 00:40  Pakistan
Click Here to See the Profile for samhouse Click here to Send samhouse a Private Message Visit samhouse's homepage! Add samhouse to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Shaya007
SMILE...YOU'RE FAMOUS!!!

listening to a live set o Mark from 2004,,I swear you can listen to it for another 10 years and still sounds good All hard techno

Old Post Feb-16-2015 02:04 
Click Here to See the Profile for Shaya007 Click here to Send Shaya007 a Private Message Visit Shaya007's homepage! Add Shaya007 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
pslip
Senior tranceaddict

It would be nice if you could post some of those Mark Oliver sets. I used to have some but lost them when my computer decided to blow up.

Old Post Feb-16-2015 10:57  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for pslip Click here to Send pslip a Private Message Add pslip to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
PurpleHaze
Supreme tranceaddict

I concur. Shaya share that 2004 MO set!

Old Post Feb-16-2015 14:13  Romania
Click Here to See the Profile for PurpleHaze Click here to Send PurpleHaze a Private Message Add PurpleHaze to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Canada > Canada - Toronto & Southern Ont. > The Guvernment - Share your fav memories/sets
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (5): « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackdevil trip!! [2003] [1]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackUnion Jack - Two Full Moons & a Trout (Casper Pound Mix) [2005]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread