Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Canada > Canada - Toronto & Southern Ont. > Roll Call: Electric Island w/ DIXON, MARTINEZ BROS., HENRIK SCHWARZ, DJ TENNIS - JUL 1st
Pages (15): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
geroin
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Big Boss
Of course it's true, supply and demand.

it does not apply to events and DJs of this caliber.

Old Post Jul-22-2014 15:01  Russia
Click Here to See the Profile for geroin Click here to Send geroin a Private Message Add geroin to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
an_an
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Dior Homme
I'm sorry, but are you really comparing Ibiza, to.... any other place outside of Ibiza?

Never meant to compare any other place with Ibiza! Agreed Ibiza is a whole different case. Which is why I said not sure if it holds in Ibiza. For that matter if it holds anywhere else either. I think it's more so dependent on the size of the event and the duration of the set they play.

Old Post Jul-22-2014 16:07  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for an_an Click here to Send an_an a Private Message Add an_an to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mach X
DEMF Ambassador

quote:
Originally posted by geroin
this is not true.

Ok, there MAY be a few DJs who this may not be true for based on the calibre and popularity of the DJ and their booking fee may not change.

But there are so many things that make it cheaper for a Monday thru Wednesday booking. Hotels and airfare may be cheaper. Much cheaper to get a flight on Monday or Tuesday, and hotels are at least 20% cheaper on weekdays. So, if you're flying someone out for a one off on a Saturday or Monday, maybe the total cost difference is negligible. For a one party, it's a fly in, play, accommodations and fly out, MAYBE then their booking fee is the same minus air/accommodation.

But you're forgetting that if the DJ is in the area already, you're saving costs on airshare with other promoters and you can work with other promoters/agencies etc to work out a better deal overall.

Example. You want to bring DJ Trainwreck from Budapest, you can get him 2 gigs Friday and Saturday night for $10k each and flights from Budepest to Miami, to New York and back to Budapest with flights split 2 ways between two promoters. OR you can work with another promoter to get another gig for him on Sunday for what averages to be $8k each gig or something, and then the flights are shared 3 ways with an extra New York to Montreal then to Budapest.

TL;DR - Maybe not 100% true, but I know for a fact that you can book 90% of an agencies roster for cheaper on off days if you do the right planning with their management and have a good relationship with other promoters in other cities.

Old Post Jul-22-2014 16:17  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Mach X Click here to Send Mach X a Private Message Visit Mach X's homepage! Add Mach X to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
geroin
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Mach X

Sure, it is still the case for really new talent but do you think for example maceo plex booking is cheaper on a thursday than on a saturday?

the price is based on a size of the venue/capacity/door price not on the day of the week, if you think you can't pull off booking him on a Thursday then don't book him on a Thursday.

Old Post Jul-22-2014 17:34  Russia
Click Here to See the Profile for geroin Click here to Send geroin a Private Message Add geroin to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
hax-a-million
Supreme tranceaddict

nothing in this industry is going to be true 100% of the time but in my experience you can definitely get a price break on the booking fee for a sunday/monday or even a thursday depending on the schedule. if the artist is already relatively close and there's no one else competing for the booking, you bet your ass they'll take another gig if the logistics are there. i'm not just talking about b-list guys either - i'm sure papa sven came at a very reasonable price for a party of that size (venue size and ticket price being charged still come into play, but no way is an agency or artist going to demand the same rate they do for a saturday night party when it's a monday evening with no other commitments)

Old Post Jul-22-2014 21:40  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for hax-a-million Click here to Send hax-a-million a Private Message Add hax-a-million to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mach X
DEMF Ambassador

All I'm saying is, the actual booking price may be rigid for elite DJs and calculated on the venue/price etc.

But adding on another gig either before or after a weekend is going to in the end save the promoter some money with total out of pocket expenses.

I get tons of emails from agencies that are requesting that someone add another gig either before or after when a DJ is in the area and they straight up advertise that they can save on flightshare and booking price is negotiable based on the gig.

Not to mention let's say in the case of someone big like you said Maceo Plex, or in this case Dixon, who is huge in demand was in Montreal that Saturday I think then New York on the Wednesday. You know his management is going to totally work on a agreeable arrangement beneficial for the artist/management and the promoter to get him some gigs in between. And instead of having him either flown back to Berlin then back to New York, or have to pay accommodations out of pocket for the days in between if he stays in North America. I'll admit 100% I don't know the arrangement Alex and company had, but I would bet that there were some numbers discussed which was better for both, Dixon get's another gig and money, his accommodations are paid for, his flight from Montreal to New York was now covered perhaps etc. It ended up being a WHOLE lot cheaper than if Alex by himself had to fly him out here to Toronto, put him up the night before and after and fly him back.

Last edited by Mach X on Jul-23-2014 at 03:45

Old Post Jul-23-2014 00:58  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Mach X Click here to Send Mach X a Private Message Visit Mach X's homepage! Add Mach X to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
geroin
Supreme tranceaddict

I'm not disputing all of of what you guys are saying, i was merely responding to this.

quote:

Originally posted by lockedgroove
hell of a lot cheaper to book talent on a Monday.

It's not any cheaper to get sven vath on saturday, sunday or monday.

Old Post Jul-23-2014 01:48  Russia
Mach X
DEMF Ambassador

quote:
Originally posted by geroin
I'm not disputing all of of what you guys are saying, i was merely responding to this.

It's not any cheaper to get sven vath on saturday, sunday or monday.

In the end it is. Putting Sven in a 5 star hotel is cheaper on a Monday than the Saturday, and his first class flight round trip from Frankfurt or wherever is split 3 ways if each of the cities/promoters book him on the Sat/Sun/Mon.

And if Sven was doing fack all on Monday anyways, it's is probable that booking him another gig on the Monday could be negotiated. Not stellar 50% savings or anything, but still negotiable. It's all mutually beneficial for all parties involved to talk money, it's business.

But, back to EI talk. Tale Of Us are at Stereo on Saturday, August 30. Maybe a another Labour Day Tale Of Us party?!

Old Post Jul-23-2014 03:43  Canada
planetaryplayer
Surpeme traineanddict

i hope not. i really like their productions but when they were djing last year, to me it felt like there was no flow whatsoever. also i would like to see different artists rather than repeat from previous EI (unless of course Guy Gerber/Sven).

why hasn't digweed got a toronto gig in like 2 years ? (1h veld doesn't count... who even went?) same with carl.

Old Post Jul-23-2014 04:51  Norfolk Island
Click Here to See the Profile for planetaryplayer Click here to Send planetaryplayer a Private Message Add planetaryplayer to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Dior Homme
Hedi Slimane

quote:
Originally posted by planetaryplayer

why hasn't digweed got a Toronto gig in like 2 years ? (1h veld doesn't count... who even went?) same with carl.

I don't think he likes playing in Toronto. And if he does its for big money. He hasn't had more than a 3 hour set in at least 4-5 years.

If you want the real Digweed front to back experience you're going to have to go outside Canada. That one Montreal 8 hour set excluded.

Old Post Jul-23-2014 12:05  France
Click Here to See the Profile for Dior Homme Click here to Send Dior Homme a Private Message Visit Dior Homme's homepage! Add Dior Homme to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

I thought Ink had a monopoly on him or whatever

*edit: or something to do with either digweed or his agent(s) only willing to work with Ink, considering that almost every single booking (or every single one) in Toronto was at an Ink event

Last edited by on Jul-23-2014 at 17:26

Old Post Jul-23-2014 13:40 
Add  to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
geroin
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Mach X
And if Sven was doing fack all on Monday anyways, it's is probable that booking him another gig on the Monday could be negotiated. Not stellar 50% savings or anything, but still negotiable.

With Sven Vath that monday would be booked 6 months in advance, not a week before just to fill in a date.

Old Post Jul-23-2014 18:51  Russia

TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Canada > Canada - Toronto & Southern Ont. > Roll Call: Electric Island w/ DIXON, MARTINEZ BROS., HENRIK SCHWARZ, DJ TENNIS - JUL 1st
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (15): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackFrom Marco V - Live At Club Fresh (FRESHFM) 29-01-2005 (3rd Track) [2005] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackX-ite - Research (Hipnotic Mix) [2010]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread