Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > pretentious or proper?
Pages (6): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

"I'll have a vodka martini, shans the ice."

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Apr-11-2014 21:19  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Intellekshual
tranceaddict in training

At least he didn't say "whence".

The word "sans" is no longer an exclusively French word, the English have been using it forever, as well as a number of other words and expressions from different languages. It's not pretentious, it's just how language works, get with the program.

Old Post Apr-11-2014 21:33  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Intellekshual Click here to Send Intellekshual a Private Message Add Intellekshual to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Intellekshual
tranceaddict in training

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J

I bet it bothers some people simply because they can't pronounce it.

Old Post Apr-11-2014 21:34  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Intellekshual Click here to Send Intellekshual a Private Message Add Intellekshual to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
AlphaStarred
-__---__-_-_-_-----_

quote:
I hate to be the one to update your world view from that of a 16 year old,

How the fuck is my world view that of a 16-year old?

quote:

but high school teachers are not actually grand disseminators of truth and reality.

I'm quite aware of that, but the truth and reality was that I was failing my papers because of using "big" words, according to him.

quote:
But as for never using "sans" in conversation because you'd get "weird looks"... Fuck that shit. If you're in decently educated company, why not enjoy using language? Some of my greatest successes chatting up girls while drunk came from playfully using overly ornate language.

Being in decently educated company is different from ordering a glass of water in a New York sushi restaurant. I've had the same charm with girls too, btw, and I've nothing against eloquent speech and fancy words, but there's a time and place for everything. Again, if you order a drink thus from where I'm from, most people wouldn't know what the fuck you're saying.

Old Post Apr-11-2014 22:24  Israel
Click Here to See the Profile for AlphaStarred Click here to Send AlphaStarred a Private Message Add AlphaStarred to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lira
Ancient BassAddict

Really, why would you order cold water without the ice? Why, God, why!?

Old Post Apr-11-2014 22:33  Brazil
Click Here to See the Profile for Lira Click here to Send Lira a Private Message Visit Lira's homepage! Add Lira to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lira
Ancient BassAddict

quote:
Originally posted by aquila
I always order my soft drinks at fast food restaurants without ice so they don't rip me off with only half a cup of drink

I pretty much just order sugar-flavoured ice, really.

Ice is love. Ice is life. Ice is what your wildest dreams are made of.

Old Post Apr-11-2014 22:40  Brazil
Click Here to See the Profile for Lira Click here to Send Lira a Private Message Visit Lira's homepage! Add Lira to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

quote:
Originally posted by AlphaStarred
Being in decently educated company is different from ordering a glass of water in a New York sushi restaurant.

quote:
I never heard the word "sans" uttered in any conversation.

I conclude that you are never in decently educated company.

Old Post Apr-11-2014 22:51  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
AlphaStarred
-__---__-_-_-_-----_

quote:
I conclude that you are never in decently educated company.

Because they don't utter the word, sans? That's like saying if you've never used the word flibbertigibbet in everyday conversation then you're an uneducated fool. Good one.

Knowing the word and using it in daily conversation are two different things. You'll likely get an "excuse me?" and look like a douchebag, instead of simply getting your point across. But if that's what you need to do to charm the ladies or your educated company, go for it, kid.

Last edited by AlphaStarred on Apr-12-2014 at 00:01

Old Post Apr-11-2014 23:54  Israel
Click Here to See the Profile for AlphaStarred Click here to Send AlphaStarred a Private Message Add AlphaStarred to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Jon_Snow

quote:
How the fuck is my world view that of a 16-year old?

I'm quite aware of that, but the truth and reality was that I was failing my papers because of using "big" words, according to him.

Probably your teacher was trying to get you write an essay that's enjoyable to read, has compelling arguments, concise, flow, etc. In layman's terms you might understand, all the big words in the world won't make a shitty essay any better.

Old Post Apr-12-2014 00:26 
Add  to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

quote:
Because they don't utter the word, sans?

Not only that, but they'd be spooked by the very utterance of such deviant language and immediately view you as a douchebag. If you can't just drop a word like that into conversation with your friends without fearing for the social repercussions, there's a very good chance your friends are knuckle-draggers.

EDIT: Also, for what it's worth, I think the fact that nobody understood what OrangestO was getting at with his OP until he explained shows that "sans" is a word that won't even stand out in a sentence to most people, rather than being some curlicued item of Ye Olde speak as you seem to be suggesting.

Last edited by SYSTEM-J on Apr-12-2014 at 00:36

Old Post Apr-12-2014 00:26  England
AlphaStarred
-__---__-_-_-_-----_

With friends it's fine, but we're talking about restaurants ,and in most restaurants you'd go to here, you'd just get a stumped look. I have educated friends and acquaintances that I don't exchange such words with simply because they haven't been in the country long enough to have developed a very extensive vocabulary.

I'm not suggesting anything, I'm saying that you don't normally use words like, sans or en masse in everyday conversation - especially in America - because it's simply easier to get your point across without them.

Old Post Apr-12-2014 00:39  Israel
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

quote:
With friends it's fine, but we're talking about restaurants

I clearly said, ages ago:

quote:
I guess the issue here is whether it's pretentious to simply use the word "sans", or whether OrangestO is specifically asking if it's pretentious to use it when ordering a drink

...And then differentiated between ordering a drink and talking with friends. So stop wasting my time arguing about nothing.

Old Post Apr-12-2014 00:54  England

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > pretentious or proper?
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (6): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbacksample from goodfellas [2002] [1]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackThe Sabres Of Paradise – Smokebelch 2003 (Mix 1) [2003]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread