Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > Questions on using sends vs insert fx
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
The Mysterious Stranger
Junior tranceaddict

Questions on using sends vs insert fx

Hi everyone,

I've been experimenting with various signal routings lately. A lot of what I've read on the net seems to strongly suggest using time-based effects on a return bus, such as reverb and delay. However... with delays & flangers especially I've noticed that they seem a lot harder to control, and come off sounding worse quite often vs using them as an insert effect.

If I'm remotely correct it seems a send knob doesn't work how one would expect a "wet/dry" knob to function, at least in Ableton. 50% on the send knob does not seem to equal 50% wet. I'm not sure how to calculate where "50%" would reside on the knob.

Where do you guys strike the balance on when to use an effect as an insert... vs using it on a send/return bus? I'm not sure why I'm hearing such a difference in presentation between the two methods. I do have the returns set to 100% wet and still seem to hear a difference.

Old Post Aug-13-2012 19:40 
Click Here to See the Profile for The Mysterious Stranger Click here to Send The Mysterious Stranger a Private Message Add The Mysterious Stranger to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

I think you may not be using it correctly;

With sends, the ideal way to work, is to have the aux channel (with the FX on it) at unity gain + 100% wet on the FX.

Then you just dial in on your instrument track, how much you actually want to send to that effect.

This standardizes a particular FX in terms of how much you want to add to each element or group.

Bear in mind with an insert, it will depend on the FX itself (and how it's wet/dry balance operates) not to mention how hot the instrument is (inserts are pre fader by usual default) which is maybe why you're getting different results, as the FX sound may vary on input and w/d balance etc.

Read this thread and my post at the bottom for more info:

http://www.tranceaddict.com/forums/...05#post10542105

Old Post Aug-13-2012 20:41 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
itsamemario
Divine Angel

Re: Questions on using sends vs insert fx

Pretty much.

Old Post Aug-13-2012 23:45  Norway
Click Here to See the Profile for itsamemario Click here to Send itsamemario a Private Message Visit itsamemario's homepage! Add itsamemario to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Beatflux
Rising Star in training

Can also:

group an fx and create two chains: one for the dry signal and one for the wet.

Inverse utility trick.

Old Post Aug-14-2012 14:11  Trinidad and Tobago
Click Here to See the Profile for Beatflux Click here to Send Beatflux a Private Message Add Beatflux to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > Questions on using sends vs insert fx
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackUnknown awesome track #2 [2013] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackMarcos - "Cosmic String" [2004]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread