Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > Recommend hardware based synth module
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Alpha219
Senior tranceaddict

Recommend hardware based synth module

I've got a zillion software-based synths, but I'm looking to design my own strange droning noises with a hardware-based synth module. I really don't want to spend more than $2,000. What would you recommend I look at? Something from Waldorf? Moog? Roland? Novation?

Old Post Apr-15-2023 04:05  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Alpha219 Click here to Send Alpha219 a Private Message Add Alpha219 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
cryophonik
Boom shanka

So many options to choose from with that budget! Where to begin…. Do you have a favorite soft synth that you’d like in hardware form (or similar)?

Sonar Platinum | Ableton Live 9 | Logic Pro X | Access Virus TI2 Keyboard | Kurzweil PC3X | Nord Lead 4R | NI Maschine

Old Post Apr-15-2023 21:16  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for cryophonik Click here to Send cryophonik a Private Message Visit cryophonik's homepage! Add cryophonik to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Alpha219
Senior tranceaddict

After watching a video about the Waldorf Iridium, I think I'm gonna spend more and get it. This thing makes insane noises!

Old Post Apr-16-2023 17:47  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Alpha219 Click here to Send Alpha219 a Private Message Add Alpha219 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
cryophonik
Boom shanka

Good choice! I've never owned one, but have almost pulled the trigger on one a few times and it definitely seems like beastly synth.

Sonar Platinum | Ableton Live 9 | Logic Pro X | Access Virus TI2 Keyboard | Kurzweil PC3X | Nord Lead 4R | NI Maschine

Old Post Apr-16-2023 18:54  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for cryophonik Click here to Send cryophonik a Private Message Visit cryophonik's homepage! Add cryophonik to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
atxbigballer1
Supreme tranceaddict

Re: Recommend hardware based synth module

quote:
Originally posted by Alpha219
I've got a zillion software-based synths, but I'm looking to design my own strange droning noises with a hardware-based synth module. I really don't want to spend more than $2,000. What would you recommend I look at? Something from Waldorf? Moog? Roland? Novation?

Euro rack?

"It's not the equipment....it's the muthaf@#%r running it"
quote:
Originally posted by Pagan-za
Fighting online is like winning the special Olympics. Even if you win, you're still retarded.

Old Post Jan-12-2024 01:54  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for atxbigballer1 Click here to Send atxbigballer1 a Private Message Add atxbigballer1 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Zak McKracken
Trance

I’ve had many hardware synths back in the day. Roland JP8080,
Access Virus Rack XL (basically C), Clavia Nord Rack 3, Waldorf MicroQ.
These were all virtual analog they all sounded good and was rather easy to program.
Also had a few groove boxes like Elektron Machinedrum and Korg Electribes.
My challenge though with them all was interfacing to the sequencer with MIDI and Audio, timesync and automation - it was just not logical or practical. For some time I kept them to make samples which was then added to samplers in my DAW but eventually got tired of it all and sold everything.
Make sure you know you can interface your synth to your computer in a practical workflow before investing.
The only thing I miss are the electribes, they were so fun for ideas.

Old Post Feb-10-2024 12:59 
Click Here to See the Profile for Zak McKracken Click here to Send Zak McKracken a Private Message Add Zak McKracken to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
cryophonik
Boom shanka

I'm still using a hybrid setup with a bunch of hardware and software. I've always been primarily a hardware user when it comes to synths, just because I'm old af and stuck in my old-school ways, but I do all of my mixing and most of my effects ITB. I think the one thing that people get hung up on is the idea of having total recall with their synths, but I take a different approach and treat them as if I'm recording vocals, or a bass line, or guitar part. I usually just play them in real-time and quantize, or I record or sequence the MIDI, overdub for automation, etc. Then I just bounce it to audio and mute the MIDI track in my sequencer (Logic), and I save the patch on my synth in case I ever want to go back and redo the part. I just like the idea of committing it to audio and moving on to the next sound. I know that's all counterintuitive to the advantages of soft synths and total recall, but I find it pretty liberating to complete a synth part and be done with it. That said, yeah I also use and love my soft synths.

Old Post Mar-11-2024 16:34  United States
Zak McKracken
Trance

quote:
Originally posted by cryophonik
treat them as if I'm recording vocals, or a bass line, or guitar part..

This mindset is very important glad your brought it up.
It took me a decade understanding that this is the approach almost all hardware based artist exercise, and it took another decade to accept that it is the only way to get anything done and by then realizing I had to sell it all as it was not a way to stay creative for me, I’ve always been a midi and soft-synth editor fanatic starting out first in Rebirth and then Reason where I had endless of control and edits. Now I’m just too old to change to anything else. I just love the robustness of Reason and its synths and project handling. I do miss the sounds of the hardware though. Maybe I should get one synth just to play a little with and not have any ambition to sequence it.

Old Post Mar-14-2024 21:32 
Click Here to See the Profile for Zak McKracken Click here to Send Zak McKracken a Private Message Add Zak McKracken to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > Recommend hardware based synth module
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackAmazing hard trance track [2004] [2]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackGroove Man - No Limit [2004]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread