Become a part of the TranceAddict community! Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
tranceaddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > '98 vs. '99
Pages (8): « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
SYSTEM-J
Ambient Produce Unit



Registered: Sep 2003
Location: Leeds

quote:
Originally posted by Radagast
A track can only define a genre of music if it began a genre of music. You're saying one track and one track alone is the definition of trance?...that's pretty idiotic. Dance2trance set the definition of trance because it was followed for years by many artists who copied that sound and also called their music trance.


So? It counts for nothing. If that track came first, it defined the original trance. Everything else called trance that does not sound the same as the original trance is not trance. The KLF made more than one trance track in the late 80s- Last Train to Trancentral had a 1989 Pure Trance Original as well. Dance2Trance came a year or two after these tracks, so it changed the definition of trance. Just like later tracks changed the sound of trance as well. It's as simple as that.


___________________
Mixes:
> Summer Mix For Marta [House]
> This Is Not Berghain [Acid/Techno]
> BMC DJ Competition [Drum & Bass]
> Human Revolution [Theme Challenge Mix]
> Somnamdublism [Dub Techno]


>>Absorb. [Fortnightly Radio Show]<<

Absorb.

Old Post Sep-09-2004 20:22  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Swamper
Webmonstah



Registered: Jan 2000
Location: Toronto, Canada

1999 hands down. (or rather, hands up)


___________________

"In a world of illusion you only see what you feel"

Old Post Sep-09-2004 20:50  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Swamper Click here to Send Swamper a Private Message Visit Swamper's homepage! Add Swamper to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Radagast
BANNED FOR LIFE!



Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Loc at Ion

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
So? It counts for nothing. If that track came first, it defined the original trance. Everything else called trance that does not sound the same as the original trance is not trance. The KLF made more than one trance track in the late 80s- Last Train to Trancentral had a 1989 Pure Trance Original as well. Dance2Trance came a year or two after these tracks, so it changed the definition of trance. Just like later tracks changed the sound of trance as well. It's as simple as that.


So you're saying two guys made their own genre which defined trance and lasted for all of two years, if that...

There is only one definition of trance. It can change within those defined boundaries but if it breaks those boundaries then it becomes something other than trance.


___________________
Robots, machines, mechanical beings
Automatic and synthetic, we have the means
To take control of this planet and the human race
With our electronic rhythms and the Armageddon Bass

Old Post Sep-09-2004 21:03 
Click Here to See the Profile for Radagast Click here to Send Radagast a Private Message Add Radagast to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
Ambient Produce Unit



Registered: Sep 2003
Location: Leeds

quote:
Originally posted by Radagast
So you're saying two guys made their own genre which defined trance and lasted for all of two years, if that...

There is only one definition of trance. It can change within those defined boundaries but if it breaks those boundaries then it becomes something other than trance.


Once again, you've never heard the track, so you don't know if any other trance of it's type was made back then. I'm not massively familiar with primordial trance, but I'd be surprised if other trance of it's type wasn't made back then.

You can't say "there is only one definition of trance." It's like saying that because modern house sounds very little like original house, and that prog house and hard house sound nothing like it, they can't be house.

Genres change you stubborn bastard, why don't you just give up your argument, because you aren't God and you can't just keep pulling these sweeping "a track can only define if..." and "there is only one definition of..." statements and pass them off as music lore. Just because Supreme Overlord Radagast has grown tired with today's mega-anthem trance doesn't mean he can wave his wand of arrogance and make it suddenly not real trance, despite what the rest of the music world says.


___________________
Mixes:
> Summer Mix For Marta [House]
> This Is Not Berghain [Acid/Techno]
> BMC DJ Competition [Drum & Bass]
> Human Revolution [Theme Challenge Mix]
> Somnamdublism [Dub Techno]


>>Absorb. [Fortnightly Radio Show]<<

Absorb.

Old Post Sep-10-2004 16:34  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list SYSTEM-J is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
tu_face
No Known Cure...



Registered: Oct 2000
Location: Sheffield, UK

system-j & radagast: congratulations, you have been bitching for 5 pages.

if it sorts out your argument, KLF made the first "trance" track. end of.

quote:
The KLF: What Time Is Love? (pure trance original) single [17 Oct 1988]

12": 1988 UK (KLF Communications KLF 004T) (+wl)
12": 1991 UK (KLF Communications KLF 004T) [reissue; 15 Jul 91]
7:05 What Time Is Love? (trance mix)
7:00 What Time Is Love? (mix 2)
["Pure Trance 1"]

12": 1988 UK (KLF Communications KLF 006T)
["Pure Trance 3", 2000 sleeves/labels printed, scheduled 14 Nov 88]


taken from the KLF discography.


___________________
MUGGETS

Last edited by tu_face on Sep-10-2004 at 17:01

Old Post Sep-10-2004 16:51 
Click Here to See the Profile for tu_face Click Here to Email tu_face Click here to Send tu_face a Private Message Add tu_face to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
Ambient Produce Unit



Registered: Sep 2003
Location: Leeds

quote:
Originally posted by tu_face
system-j & radagast: congratulations, you have been bitching for 5 pages.

if it sorts out your argument, KLF made the first "trance" track. end of.


Well I'm fed up of his arrogant, elitist and hypocritical crap. He's been constantly annoying on these boards of late, taking every opportunity to slate epic trance, derail threads about epic trance and generally act is if it's wrong to enjoy epic trance.

So I thought I'd follow an argument through. And when he starts making comments like:

quote:
It pertains because they think that's when trance was invented. How would they know what the state of trance is now if they don't even try to learn what it was like before.


When he didn't even know the first trance tracks, I wasn't going to sit there quietly.


___________________
Mixes:
> Summer Mix For Marta [House]
> This Is Not Berghain [Acid/Techno]
> BMC DJ Competition [Drum & Bass]
> Human Revolution [Theme Challenge Mix]
> Somnamdublism [Dub Techno]


>>Absorb. [Fortnightly Radio Show]<<

Absorb.

Old Post Sep-10-2004 17:00  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list SYSTEM-J is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
dj tek
SSU MF !



Registered: Feb 2002
Location: TransFixedST8

1999 was the year of quantity AND quality.


___________________
NIC FANCIULLI @ STUDIO B [Brooklyn] w/ Dany Veltri, Chris Luzz & Tae Seol -Fri. June 20, 2008
RHODE KILL 2 @ THE RANCH [RI] -18/19/20 July 2008
WEBSITE-MYSPACE-INFO@SUNNYSIDEUPCLUB.COM

Old Post Sep-10-2004 17:05  South Korea
Click Here to See the Profile for dj tek Click here to Send dj tek a Private Message Visit dj tek's homepage! Add dj tek to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
tu_face
No Known Cure...



Registered: Oct 2000
Location: Sheffield, UK

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
Well I'm fed up of his arrogant, elitist and hypocritical crap. He's been constantly annoying on these boards of late, taking every opportunity to slate epic trance, derail threads about epic trance and generally act is if it's wrong to enjoy epic trance.

So I thought I'd follow an argument through. And when he starts making comments like:

blah blah blah

When he didn't even know the first trance tracks, I wasn't going to sit there quietly.


well now you've both made your points, the thread can go back to the topic


___________________
MUGGETS

Old Post Sep-10-2004 17:09 
Click Here to See the Profile for tu_face Click Here to Email tu_face Click here to Send tu_face a Private Message Add tu_face to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Minhaj
Your Moms Box



Registered: Feb 2004
Location: Toronto, You ******!

1999
Paul van Dyk-Another Way

Old Post Sep-11-2004 04:07 
Click Here to See the Profile for Minhaj Click Here to Email Minhaj Click here to Send Minhaj a Private Message Add Minhaj to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
beats and beeps
Guest



Registered: Not Yet
Location:

99.

Old Post Sep-11-2004 04:41 
Add  to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mattsanity.
Supreme tranceaddict



Registered: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto

I miss polls.

Old Post Mar-24-2012 17:31  South Korea
Click Here to See the Profile for Mattsanity. Click here to Send Mattsanity. a Private Message Add Mattsanity. to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
bucky
Supreme tranceaddict



Registered: Oct 2000
Location: Rochester/Buffalo, NY

quote:
Originally posted by Swamper
1999 hands down. (or rather, hands up)

Fist pumpin when pauly d was still in diapers!

Old Post Mar-24-2012 19:22  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for bucky Click Here to Email bucky Click here to Send bucky a Private Message Visit bucky's homepage! Add bucky to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

tranceaddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > '98 vs. '99
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (8): « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Jump:

All times are GMT. The time now is 00:41.

Forum Rules:
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is ON
vB code is ON
[IMG] code is ON
 
Search this Thread:

 
Contact Us - return to tranceaddict

Powered by: Trance Music & vBulletin Forums
Copyright ©2000-2014

Privacy Statement
Geo Visitors Map

Icon