Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > Your Favorite Basslines / The Fight Against Oompa-itis
Pages (22): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Taz
Supreme tranceaddict

Your Favorite Basslines / The Fight Against Oompa-itis

Ever heard to the intro of a new trance track and said, "Is that the only bassline so-and-so could have used here?" I'm talking specifically about oompa-oompa in A. You know, rest-note-rest-note in 8ths, the old hard house standard.

To me, the most rollin' tracks have growling, unique basslines; even if they're one-noters. Lange - Drifting Away (Original Mix) has a good one. Or Marco V-Godd (Original Mix).

What are some of your favorite basslines?
Let us find a cure for Oompa-itis! It's an epidemic!

Disclaimer: Yes, I do like that oompa bassline when it's mixed nicely with delay and other lines and such. But sometimes enough is enough!

Old Post Apr-30-2002 04:21  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Taz Click here to Send Taz a Private Message Add Taz to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Joi Lamusic
Supreme tranceaddict

Umhh.... Stupid question over here, but I gotta make it: what is oompa bassline? I really didn't get that "rest-note-rest-note in 8ths"

Old Post Apr-30-2002 07:36  Finland
Click Here to See the Profile for Joi Lamusic Click here to Send Joi Lamusic a Private Message Add Joi Lamusic to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Passiva
Ava Mea / Syndique

I think he means the KICK-bass-KICK-bass..

Correct me if I'm wrong

GrEeTz

Old Post Apr-30-2002 08:09 
Click Here to See the Profile for Passiva Click here to Send Passiva a Private Message Visit Passiva's homepage! Add Passiva to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Joi Lamusic
Supreme tranceaddict

KICK-bass-KICK-bass.. That is the only bass-line I know. But I would love to learn some others (if there are any)

Old Post Apr-30-2002 10:47  Finland
Click Here to See the Profile for Joi Lamusic Click here to Send Joi Lamusic a Private Message Add Joi Lamusic to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Pjotr G
Mindcrawler

come on there are infinitely many other basslines

x---x---x---x---..........Kick
xx-x-x-xxx-x-x-x..........Bassline

Old Post Apr-30-2002 10:49  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Pjotr G Click here to Send Pjotr G a Private Message Visit Pjotr G's homepage! Add Pjotr G to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Joi Lamusic
Supreme tranceaddict

Pjotr G, that was a great advice about bass-lines!! Thanks alot

If there are some other, please let me know I really know only that kick-bass-kick-bass, and now taht what Pjotr told As U see, I am only beginner who is eager to learn more and more

Old Post Apr-30-2002 13:53  Finland
McBigMac
Senior tranceaddict

There is also the
"running bassline"

X---X---X---X--- Kick
xxXxxxXxxxXxxxXx Small x= the octave youd normally use for a bass. Big X=one octave higher.

Then u can variate by

xxXxXxXxxxXxXxXx or
xxXXxxXxxxXxXxXx etc etc etc

Another common one:
X---X---X---X--- Kick
--X--X----X--X-- Bass.

The gouryella Style Ferry one:
-xXx-xXx-xXx-xXx (Same as before big X is one octave higher than the little x)
-xxz-xxz-xxz-xxz Z being an octave lower than the little X
course u can exchange the z with x, or the x with big X and z with little x, endless possibilities!

i could go on about this, its just about experimenting ;-D
Hope you guys understand lol

"Applications programming is a race between software engineers, who strive to produce idiot_proof programs, and the Universe which strives to produce bigger idiots. So far the Universe Is Winning".

Old Post Apr-30-2002 15:48  Denmark
Click Here to See the Profile for McBigMac Click here to Send McBigMac a Private Message Add McBigMac to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Taz
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Joi Lamusic
Umhh.... Stupid question over here, but I gotta make it: what is oompa bassline? I really didn't get that "rest-note-rest-note in 8ths"

To clear all confusion, yes I meant kick-BASS-kick-BASS. Ishkur called it oompa-oompa first anyway.

Or in step-sequencer lingo:

kick X---X---X---X---
bass --X---X---X---X-

Old Post Apr-30-2002 16:04  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Taz Click here to Send Taz a Private Message Add Taz to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Joi Lamusic
Supreme tranceaddict

McBigMac thanks about that little bass "tutorial" It was great help!!!

Old Post Apr-30-2002 17:12  Finland
Mr.Mystery
Static Guru

I always try to create a different bassline than the basic 4/4 bass.

You only need a few variations here and there to make the tune stand out from the crowd.

Come to think of it - none of my very favourite tracks have the "basic" bassline in it...

Oh, and thanks for those bassline examples, everyone - I'll surely try them on my next tracks

Old Post May-01-2002 09:21  Finland
Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.Mystery Click here to Send Mr.Mystery a Private Message Add Mr.Mystery to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Joi Lamusic
Supreme tranceaddict

Maybe I should be more brave wiht basses and try some other stuff and be more creative with basses

Old Post May-01-2002 12:03  Finland
sunjammer
tranceaddict

Have a listen on some of sashas djmixes, and get a lesson on how bass-lines should be done...

Old Post May-01-2002 14:41  Norway
Click Here to See the Profile for sunjammer Click here to Send sunjammer a Private Message Add sunjammer to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > Your Favorite Basslines / The Fight Against Oompa-itis
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (22): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackneed id plz !! [2005] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackLoco Dice - "Phat Dope Shit" (Saeed's Shit Base Mix) [2004]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread