Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Archives > Classic old threads / Inactive Forums > TAs unite with computing power to fight Cancer
Pages (26): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Swamper
Webmonstah

Lightbulb TAs unite with computing power to fight Cancer

A landmark research project has begun that allows people to make a real difference in the fight against cancer.

The Intel-United Devices Cancer Research Project is asking you to volunteer your PC to help process molecular research being conducted by the Department of Chemistry at the University of Oxford in England and the National Foundation for Cancer Research. To participate, you simply download a very small, no cost, non-invasive software program that works like a screensaver: it runs when your computer isn't being used, and processes research until you need your machine. Your computer never leaves your desk, and the project never interrupts your usual PC use.

There is no cost to participate and no impact on your computer use. The project software cannot detect or transfer anything on your machine but project-specific information. It just allows your computer to screen molecules that may be developed into drugs to fight cancer. Each individual computer analyzes a few molecules and then sends the results back over the Internet for further research. The goal is to enlist enough volunteers to provide very rich and thorough results to the University of Oxford for further research. This project is anticipated to be the largest computational chemistry project ever undertaken and represents a genuine hope to find a better way to fight cancer.

The computational power to perform research of this scale is only available through the generosity of individuals like you.

Read the FAQ if you have more questions.

Download the software (Windows 98, ME, NT 4.0 (SP5+), 2000, XP)

After you fill out your profile details and everything, make sure to LOGIN and then JOIN the TranceAddict team so our results are combined and our ranking improves.

I've been running it since the end of January now on a few machines, it DOES NOT slow down the stuff you do (unless it's something very cpu intensive like photoshop/gaming - then you can just right click the system tray icon and click Snooze (to stop it for 5 minutes) or just exit it entirely)

AUGUST 2003

MARCH 2004

JULY 2005

"In a world of illusion you only see what you feel"

Old Post Apr-30-2002 17:03  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Swamper Click here to Send Swamper a Private Message Visit Swamper's homepage! Add Swamper to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Ste
Planet Zogg Addict

hehe u know i was thinking of joining that folding thing today at college, coz a mate of mine sed i alwyas leave my comp on and sod off to eat or work!

installing now

>>> Download my mix here <<< (Electro, Techno & Psy-Trance)

Old Post Apr-30-2002 17:26  England
Click Here to See the Profile for Ste Click here to Send Ste a Private Message Visit Ste's homepage! Add Ste to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Tony Morello
The Renegade Master

i'm signing up as we speak

and just so there's no confusion...
i signed up as Shockwav

so, DJ_Shockwav = Shockwav

Twitter
The Drunken Monkey Podcast
The Mixdown Podcast presented by Tony Morello

Old Post Apr-30-2002 17:28  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Tony Morello Click here to Send Tony Morello a Private Message Visit Tony Morello's homepage! Add Tony Morello to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Tony Morello
The Renegade Master

it won't even load the team page

Twitter
The Drunken Monkey Podcast
The Mixdown Podcast presented by Tony Morello

Old Post Apr-30-2002 19:43  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Tony Morello Click here to Send Tony Morello a Private Message Visit Tony Morello's homepage! Add Tony Morello to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
flystyler
Defected[JULES]Addict

Ok, i was thinking, i have got this on my comp, but it does make your cpu run at 100% all the time, ok it doesnt effect how quickly things open etc, as it is clever. But isnt having your cpu running at 100% all the time bad for it, or gives it a shorter life?

Old Post Apr-30-2002 20:24 
Click Here to See the Profile for flystyler Click here to Send flystyler a Private Message Visit flystyler's homepage! Add flystyler to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Swamper
Webmonstah

Remember to LOGIN before clicking the link to join the TranceAddict team - or else it won't work..

Also, don't worry about running at 100%.. as long as your machine isn't overheating (or you aren't overclocking it to the limit) then you have nothing to worry about

"In a world of illusion you only see what you feel"

Old Post Apr-30-2002 20:29  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Swamper Click here to Send Swamper a Private Message Visit Swamper's homepage! Add Swamper to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
yujie__
Supreme tranceaddict

i joined and my name is same as this. will we get a statistics on how well who is doin in the group?

▓▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▓▒▒▒▓▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▓
▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓

Old Post Apr-30-2002 20:40  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for yujie__ Click here to Send yujie__ a Private Message Add yujie__ to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Ste
Planet Zogg Addict

it keeps crashing my windows explorer, but then again when doesnt it crash/stall/have a virus?

>>> Download my mix here <<< (Electro, Techno & Psy-Trance)

Old Post Apr-30-2002 20:53  England
Click Here to See the Profile for Ste Click here to Send Ste a Private Message Visit Ste's homepage! Add Ste to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
jon
Respect Mah Authoritah

Ive had this when swmaper first found this(whenever that was), and it hasnt caused my pc any probs at all, or caused any slow downs.

Jon

Beware of killer hamsters and the random running dogs.

Old Post Apr-30-2002 21:24 
Click Here to See the Profile for jon Click here to Send jon a Private Message Add jon to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
mos man
Ungrateful Jointpuffer

quote:
Originally posted by DuMonde TrAnCeR
hehe u know i was thinking of joining that folding thing today at college, coz a mate of mine sed i alwyas leave my comp on and sod off to eat or work!

installing now

lol @ your sig dumonde

I'm signing up

Old Post Apr-30-2002 21:59  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for mos man Click here to Send mos man a Private Message Visit mos man's homepage! Add mos man to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
tiesto14
Let The Music Play

i will be singing up tonight...i can't right now.....but if it helps out people with cancer or cancer research then i am FOR IT 100000%%%%......i will let u know tonight after i sign up....

Bring back 1994 NYC clubbing nights, cus the sh*t today is filled with junk parties and DJs that play sh*t House.....Zabiela, Sander, or Howells and all the rest suck and couldnt throw a night like it was in the early 90s in NYC!!!...Screw Twilo - give me Limelight circa 1993!!!

Old Post Apr-30-2002 22:04  Bahamas
Click Here to See the Profile for tiesto14 Click here to Send tiesto14 a Private Message Visit tiesto14's homepage! Add tiesto14 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Raptor
steve_k

downloading and signing up right now.

http://www.myspace.com/justaddpeople

Old Post Apr-30-2002 23:15  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Raptor Click here to Send Raptor a Private Message Add Raptor to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Archives > Classic old threads / Inactive Forums > TAs unite with computing power to fight Cancer
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (26): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackAwesome UnID-able trance track..help! (sample inside) [2013] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackBox Blaze & Deetron - Pocket Rocker [2004]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread