Gotta love the internet...
|Okay, so I've seen a bit of confusion about how Walt has no money left, and as someone who realized that Walt must have been low on cash as soon as Skylar gave the money to Ted, I wanna go over this a bit.|
Using this TIMELINE, which covers the first 3 seasons, we can get a basic idea of how much time has past.
The show premiered January 20th, 2008. Let's assume that this is actually the date of Walt's birthday. This can also be corroborated by conversation Walt has with Jane's dad, who mentions that they found water on Mars. Notice the date. Exactly 5 months after the start of the show, and corroborates almost perfectly with the timelines mention of Jane's death being 19 weeks and 6 days after the started.
So, first, Walt's earnings. All of these numbers have taken into account the split with Jesse, and deductions specifically mentioned by Saul.
- Walt made about 50k dollars with Tuco.
- Walt's next big score was 480k dollars from the 38lbs he made in "4 days out"
- Walt is then hired 26 weeks after the start of the show. He works about 1 month, making 500k dollars.
- 29 1/2 weeks, Gus offers the 15 million dollars for a year. Walt has gotten a raise.
- Season 3 ends at 31 weeks. Two weeks have past since Walt's raised, and he's earned another 272k at his new salary.
- Season 4. This is where the timeline gets a little trickier. In Episode 7, we see Walter bring 272k dollars into the car wash, as well as hearing Jesse mention that "A few weeks back" he shot a dog.
- With the timeline and progression of Season 4 so far, I think the safest bet we can make in the number of payments Walt has received without overshooting is 3. One seen, 2 unseen (possibly 1 unseen). So, assuming 2 unseen payments, that's an additonal 550k dollars
Total earnings are about 2.125 million
Next, let's look at the money we know Walt has spent, to the best of our knowledge.
- $800k dollars for the carwash
- $620k dollars to Beneke
- Walt's Medical bills according to Skylar, minus his surgery, were all paid up. 100k for medical treatment, 200k for the surgery. Medical bills for Walter so far, $300k TOTAL
- Hank's Medical bills can only be guessed at, but let's say roughly $100k dollars
- $50k for the Challenger debacle.
- Cost of living for a family of 4 over roughly 7 months, 50k dollars
Juniors PT, and some random Saul expenditures, at most, equal $25k dollars
Total expenditures are about 1.945 million
TOTAL EARNINGS - $2.125 million
TOTAL EXPENDITURES - $1.945 million
Which leaves Walt with roughly 200k dollars. Again, these are ballpark figures, but tell me what you think, if I'm forgetting anything, if my estimations are faulty, etc.
I'm guessing at some point in episode 12 we'll learn exactly how much money Walt has left (I have a feeling he's going to be sending his family away and staying behind).