Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Archives > Classic old threads / Inactive Forums > Gaming Forum > Essential Games - PS3
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
miamitranceman
Extreme tranceaddict

Essential Games - PS3

Since I'm a PS3 n00b I figured I start this running list of the best PS3 games. I realize the list will be much shorter at this point than the PS2 thread, but it'd be nice to have a good place to start looking!

Obviously, MGS4 and GTA4 are good places to start.

www.mixcloud.com/jluger

Old Post Jul-18-2008 16:56  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for miamitranceman Click here to Send miamitranceman a Private Message Add miamitranceman to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Shamez214
Chasing the Cool

Honestly, my "must play" PS3 list would be:

MGS:IV

And that's it.

i'd pay any price just to get that back.

Old Post Jul-18-2008 17:04 
Click Here to See the Profile for Shamez214 Click here to Send Shamez214 a Private Message Visit Shamez214's homepage! Add Shamez214 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Capitalizt
Supreme tranceaddict

Yeah really, there's no compelling reason for a gamer to buy a PS3 yet. MGS4 and Grand Theft Auto 4 will provide a few weeks of good fun, but those alone aren't worth the price in my opinion.

I think it's smart to scoop up a bunch of high quality PS2 games for $5-10 a piece and play through them over the next few years. Wait for the PS3 to drop below $200 and by then it will have a huge library of games for $10 a piece. Then you can really get your PS3 game on.

Old Post Jul-18-2008 17:10  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Capitalizt Click here to Send Capitalizt a Private Message Add Capitalizt to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
CONNERMAN2000
Slick & Suave

Re: Essential Games - PS3

quote:
Originally posted by miamitranceman
Since I'm a PS3 n00b I figured I start this running list of the best PS3 games. I realize the list will be much shorter at this point than the PS2 thread, but it'd be nice to have a good place to start looking!

Obviously, MGS4 and GTA4 are good places to start.

Read through the Official PS3 Thread if you want some more in-depth info on what Sony's console is cooking. As for games...

MotorStorm = Kickass off-road racing game with incredible graphics and a very smooth playstyle. This is one of my favorite racing games of all time, the design is simple and casual, nothing is too complicated, and the online play is fantastically put together. The game is a little bare-boned in terms of features, but the foundation of it all is so much fun that it doesn't even matter. You can find this for $20 used at Gamestops now, so it's a good place to start if you want cheap stuff.

Warhawk = Online-only Battlefield-type game with land, sea, and air combat. Up to 32 people in a single server. Total blast, with upgrades and expansions released every few months on the PSN, and a robust community that'll guarantee plenty of servers to choose from. Very well-made game.

Ratchet and Clank Future = A brilliantly designed platform title with vibrant art design, ingenious levels, and crazy weapons that make this game ooze fun all over the place. If you are into the platform game scene, this is the best place to start.

Heavenly Sword = Don't want to wait for God of War 3? This is your substitute. Game stars some girl who wields all kinds of crazy ass weapons. The graphics are gorgeous, the controls are easy to get used to, and there is a quite a challenge to be had here. Apparently the game is a little short, so maybe a rental is best, but you really should owe it to yourself to check this out.

Uncharted = Many considered that this was the best PS3 game available before MGS4 hit the scene. A beautiful game with lush landscapes, tons of detail, and a Gears of War-like cover system that goes well with the gameplay. If they had only implemented online play, this game may have been a AAA killer-app, but even with the exclusion, this is still a classic title that deserves your attention.

Resistance = I'm making it my personal duty to include this game. Although some may claim its overrated, others will back its casual charm and simplistic design. Nothing revolutionary is done here, just some good ol' FPS action, with a ton of multiplayer modes, a fun campaign, and co-op to go along with it. If you enjoy a good FPS, at least check this out to see if its your cup of tea. I absolutely love it and consider this to be one of the best games on the PS3.

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue = Warning: this is a demo, but a much more feature-packed demo than most. The full version is set to release in a year or so, but this version still satisfies with online play and a decent car/track selection. I'd maybe wait for the price to drop a little bit (currently it retails at $39.99 I believe) to make it worthwhile. If you have a big HDTV, this game will blow your eye-sockets away.

Also, special mentions go out to...Folklore if you dig RPG's, Eye of Judgment if you are willing to check out the PSEye and all its glory, Oblivion if, again, you like RPG's, Ninja Gaiden Sigma if you want a challenging action game...

In addition, go onto the PS Store and check out some of the downloadable content...

Echochrome = Crazy puzzle game that bends the mind. Good times if you want a brain-buster. Very creative game.

Everyday Shooter = Played Rez before? Same idea; music-oriented shooter game with hypnotically gorgeous visuals that are as trippy as trippy gets. The guitar riffs will put you in a daze.

Super Stardust HD = The PS3's Geometry Wars, only probably better due to it's co-op mode and muliple levels, weapons, and boss fights. An absolutely insane game when the difficulty kicks itself into full gear.

Castlevania = No explanation needed. A true classic.

PAIN = A very creative game idea where you sling-shot a dude throughout a city scape and make him bust his shit on signs/cars/buildings/people to rack up points and combos. This tends to get old after a little while, though.

You may also want to check out Pixljunk Monsters, Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo, Mortal Kombat 2, and fl0w.

Old Post Jul-18-2008 17:34  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for CONNERMAN2000 Click here to Send CONNERMAN2000 a Private Message Add CONNERMAN2000 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
RJT
last minute disco

Yeah, or you could just skip all of that garbage and just play Uncharted and MGS because those are the only two games worth playing on PS3.

Old Post Jul-18-2008 18:15 
Click Here to See the Profile for RJT Click here to Send RJT a Private Message Visit RJT's homepage! Add RJT to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
glass
SILLY HATS ONLY!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Full of beans and Hates puppy's

Old Post Jul-18-2008 20:36  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for glass Click here to Send glass a Private Message Add glass to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Owsey
Supreme tranceaddict

MGS 4 and also looking forward to the new Silent Hill Maybe the new Final Fantasy even though recent ones have been shit.

Old Post Jul-18-2008 21:53 
Click Here to See the Profile for Owsey Click here to Send Owsey a Private Message Add Owsey to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
CONNERMAN2000
Slick & Suave

If we are talking about upcoming games, the tune is played something like this...

LittleBigPlanet = Probably unknown to most of the casual gaming crowd, this game has had gaming journalists up to their eyes with anticipation, mainly due to its ridiculously eye-popping art design, plus the ability to design your own levels and complete them cooperatively with 4 people online or off. Some are saying this is GOTY material, but we'll wait and see on that one.

Resistance 2 = If you didn't like the first, it'll probably be ditto with second. That being said, this game is bound to improve on everything, from the graphics to the multiplayer modes (60 person online, 8 person co-op !!!!!). This may be a system-seller if Sony markets right. This holiday season, it'll be 2006 all over again...Resistance vs. Gears of War.

Killzone 2 = Set for release Feb. 2009, a controversial sequel that has many pondering whether it'll be all that Sony has touted it to be. Though it has seen its fair share of delays, early E3 impressions have been all-around positive. Here's hoping it stays that way into next year.

MotorStorm Pacific Rift = This time around, lush tropical environments will encompass most of the game, plus a variety of new vehicles to choose. The original didn't have split-screen multiplayer, this one will.

SOCOM Confrontation = Should be hitting store shelves and the PSN around September, the next iteration of the insanely popular squad shooter. Though it's been a while since the series reached its popularity peak back in 03 with SOCOM 2, this edition may have what it takes to retake the crown. 32 person multiplayer and some gorgeous graphics to be had here.

Wipeout HD = A PSN title that will hopefully be online by the end of the year, this futuristic racer blends EDM music with blazing speeds and slick production values. Developers are promising blistering 60 FPS, so this game will wreak of all kinds of beauty.

There's more, but those are probably the most anticipated.

Old Post Jul-18-2008 22:51  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for CONNERMAN2000 Click here to Send CONNERMAN2000 a Private Message Add CONNERMAN2000 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
biznology
Supreme tranceaddict

isnt wipeout HD just the old wipeout with better graphics? isnt there a true wupeout sequel in the works ala gran turismo 5?

Old Post Jul-19-2008 06:28  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for biznology Click here to Send biznology a Private Message Add biznology to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
miamitranceman
Extreme tranceaddict

Re: Re: Essential Games - PS3

quote:
Originally posted by CONNERMAN2000
Read through the Official PS3 Thread if you want some more in-depth info on what Sony's console is cooking. As for games...

MotorStorm = Kickass off-road racing game with incredible graphics and a very smooth playstyle. This is one of my favorite racing games of all time, the design is simple and casual, nothing is too complicated, and the online play is fantastically put together. The game is a little bare-boned in terms of features, but the foundation of it all is so much fun that it doesn't even matter. You can find this for $20 used at Gamestops now, so it's a good place to start if you want cheap stuff.

Warhawk = Online-only Battlefield-type game with land, sea, and air combat. Up to 32 people in a single server. Total blast, with upgrades and expansions released every few months on the PSN, and a robust community that'll guarantee plenty of servers to choose from. Very well-made game.

Ratchet and Clank Future = A brilliantly designed platform title with vibrant art design, ingenious levels, and crazy weapons that make this game ooze fun all over the place. If you are into the platform game scene, this is the best place to start.

Heavenly Sword = Don't want to wait for God of War 3? This is your substitute. Game stars some girl who wields all kinds of crazy ass weapons. The graphics are gorgeous, the controls are easy to get used to, and there is a quite a challenge to be had here. Apparently the game is a little short, so maybe a rental is best, but you really should owe it to yourself to check this out.

Uncharted = Many considered that this was the best PS3 game available before MGS4 hit the scene. A beautiful game with lush landscapes, tons of detail, and a Gears of War-like cover system that goes well with the gameplay. If they had only implemented online play, this game may have been a AAA killer-app, but even with the exclusion, this is still a classic title that deserves your attention.

Resistance = I'm making it my personal duty to include this game. Although some may claim its overrated, others will back its casual charm and simplistic design. Nothing revolutionary is done here, just some good ol' FPS action, with a ton of multiplayer modes, a fun campaign, and co-op to go along with it. If you enjoy a good FPS, at least check this out to see if its your cup of tea. I absolutely love it and consider this to be one of the best games on the PS3.

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue = Warning: this is a demo, but a much more feature-packed demo than most. The full version is set to release in a year or so, but this version still satisfies with online play and a decent car/track selection. I'd maybe wait for the price to drop a little bit (currently it retails at $39.99 I believe) to make it worthwhile. If you have a big HDTV, this game will blow your eye-sockets away.

Also, special mentions go out to...Folklore if you dig RPG's, Eye of Judgment if you are willing to check out the PSEye and all its glory, Oblivion if, again, you like RPG's, Ninja Gaiden Sigma if you want a challenging action game...

In addition, go onto the PS Store and check out some of the downloadable content...

Echochrome = Crazy puzzle game that bends the mind. Good times if you want a brain-buster. Very creative game.

Everyday Shooter = Played Rez before? Same idea; music-oriented shooter game with hypnotically gorgeous visuals that are as trippy as trippy gets. The guitar riffs will put you in a daze.

Super Stardust HD = The PS3's Geometry Wars, only probably better due to it's co-op mode and muliple levels, weapons, and boss fights. An absolutely insane game when the difficulty kicks itself into full gear.

Castlevania = No explanation needed. A true classic.

PAIN = A very creative game idea where you sling-shot a dude throughout a city scape and make him bust his shit on signs/cars/buildings/people to rack up points and combos. This tends to get old after a little while, though.

You may also want to check out Pixljunk Monsters, Super Puzzle
Fighter 2 Turbo, Mortal Kombat 2, and fl0w.

Thanks for the list!

I dloaded Pain bc they give it to you for free when you buy the MGS4 bundle. Hilarious game!

www.mixcloud.com/jluger

Old Post Jul-19-2008 19:48  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for miamitranceman Click here to Send miamitranceman a Private Message Add miamitranceman to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
CONNERMAN2000
Slick & Suave

Re: Re: Re: Essential Games - PS3

quote:
Originally posted by miamitranceman
Thanks for the list!

I dloaded Pain bc they give it to you for free when you buy the MGS4 bundle. Hilarious game!

No problem at all. Yeah, a buddy of mine picked up an MGS4 PS3, and it too came with Pain. It's a fun game, a neat idea no doubt, but it gets a little repetitive. Then again, its a $10 game meant to be played in short spurts, so thats not really surprising.

Just realize that your PS3 is practically a computer. Its an open platform that can do just about anything your PC can do. Emulation, music and data storage, Blu-ray capabilities...the list is endless. The 360 may have the better library, but I strongly believe the PS3 to be the better console, simply due to its customization potential. The features make the 360 seem old and obsolete.

quote:
Originally posted by biznology
isnt wipeout HD just the old wipeout with better graphics? isnt there a true wupeout sequel in the works ala gran turismo 5?

Ya know, I'm not really sure anymore. A while back, I thought Wipeout HD and Wipeout 5 were two different games as well. But now, I haven't heard Wipeout 5 even mentioned in forever; all the talk is about the new PSN HD version.

I believe HD is a combo of the PSP Wipeouts plus a few PS3 exclusive tracks/racers thrown in, all with slick graphics.

Old Post Jul-19-2008 20:20  United States
ipollux
tranceaddict in training

I like Heavenly Sword.

Old Post Jul-19-2008 22:37  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for ipollux Click here to Send ipollux a Private Message Add ipollux to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Archives > Classic old threads / Inactive Forums > Gaming Forum > Essential Games - PS3
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playback---- Latin House tune from 2004 needs IDing [2006] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackThrillseekers - "New Life" [2003]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread