Become a part of the TranceAddict community! Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
tranceaddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > USA > USA - New York > Euphoria's Interview Thread (Updates: Funkerman, Daniel Wanrooy, Redroche, Kyau & Albert)
Pages (14): « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
euphoria

quote:
Originally posted by element-y
No more svenson - damn. I saw him in miami 07 and thought he was terrible. Nothing like his shows in europe. Another dj i guess that tries to conform to location rather then play what he is known to do. But when he sticks to what he does its great. And I love airscape.

The harder his tracks and the more keyboard melody the better! Just stay away from the proggy. Him and MIKE Push when they try to stay true to their alias or past names and go with that style are great. But when they try to sound like everyone else now a days - go the way cosmic gate and others have - its a shame. Love the JP sound - hope he keeps it up

He was here in NY with Cosmic Gate actually back in 2008. I was there but ended up leaving before Gielen came on but I heard it was good.

Old Post Apr-15-2010 17:09  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for euphoria Click here to Send euphoria a Private Message Visit euphoria's homepage! Add euphoria to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
kingchinc
Captain Closer

quote:
Originally posted by Dj_MadirozE

i love twisted but i laugh so hard every time I see svenson wail away on that keyboard

Old Post Apr-16-2010 00:43  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for kingchinc Click here to Send kingchinc a Private Message Add kingchinc to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
euphoria

Pre-ASOT Interviews with Alex M.O.R.P.H.

http://www.365mag.com/index.php?pg=...+Music+Magazine

365MAG INTERVIEW: ALEX M.O.R.P.H.
Special: 365 Interview (2010-05-03)

Whether it's strolling the streets of Sunset Boulevard or Breaking the Light whilst performing at A State of Trance in Roseland Ballroom New York, Alex M.O.R.P.H. is consistently followed by the Sunshine. Alex has just released the follow up to his Purple Audio album on April 16th, 2010 and he looks back at the success of the release with no regrets. The remixed installment is entitled Purple Audio Reloaded featuring mixes by Chriss Ortega, Estiva, Robert Mint, Orkidea, Signum, Woody van Eyden, Glenn Morrison, Mark Eteson, Odelaf, Daniel Kandi, Menno de Jong, and David Forbes with vocal appearances by Katie Marne, Roberta Harrison, Ana Criado, Michael, and Simon.

We found Alex to be a very intriguing artist, very humble yet so passionate about trance music. If you keep reading we believe you might feel the same…

How are you today?

Hello, I am very well, thank you. I'm a little bit tired; I had a long flight behind me. I flew in from Germany today and last weekend I flew in to Miami and went back to Germany for three and half days and now I am back in the United States.

Have you ever visited New York before?
I visited New York in December of last year. It's pretty funny, when I say last year it seems like a long time ago but it was only four short months ago. I was here for a meeting with SeaToSun recordings to meet in person after several phone calls and thousands of emails. I was flying back from Mexico so it was convenient to stop over. I spent three wonderful days in New York and I really love it here.

What was on your agenda from the moment you landed up till now?
I arrived a bit late today because of customs. I think this was my worst experience with customs ever. There were about five planes landing around the same time and only a few airport staff handling customs. It took ages. We got into some traffic getting out of the airport as well. It seemed like the whole world was coming to New York. Later on I will enjoy the New York nightlife and get another impression and check out all the lit up buildings and other attractions.

What does performing at the ASOT 450 gig mean to you?
It is a great pleasure for me to perform at A State of Trance 450, and to even be invited to play the gig. I've known Armin for a long time as an act and in person. I know he has been supporting my music for ages. I'm not really much into statistic but a friend of mine mentioned to me that I was one of the top three played artists in the A State of Trance Radio show for the past few years.

Well that is definitely a good sign!
That's a very good sign and I am very proud of it. I am very happy to be featured in the show and that he likes my music. It's a major event with five shows worldwide including Toronto, two in New York, Poland, and Bratislava.

Yes, Poland. That is where I am from.

Oh you are from Poland?
Yes, I am Polish 100% from Warsaw.

Oh dzien dobry. (laughs) Jak sie masz? (Translation: Hello, How are you?) I love Poland!

There's a good crowd out there right?
The crowd is super. I like their mentality; it's a bit diverse. I like the vibe there; it's a very good vibe. The productions are insane in Poland. I've been playing in Poland for ten years. I heard from other DJ's from the UK and abroad and everyone wants to play in Poland at the big festivals. I love their passion for music. When you go out there it's just a good mood there, and people can't tell me whether it depends on if you go to a rich country or a poor country; it doesn't matter. Their feeling for the music is amazing. It is one of my favorite countries to play in. For one event I can remember I was wearing my I Love Trance shirt, and then about mid way through my set I stepped off the stage and returned with my I Love Poland T shirt.

They went crazy didn't they?
Yes, they went absolutely mad. It's all about showing your respect. There aren't many counties around like that.

Which event would you say is the greatest EDM event of all time, whether you were attending or performing at the event?
That's a really hard question because I think there is really no way that I can figure out just one event. It all depends on the event, the people, the weather, how big the stage is, the intro and the artists lined up. There are so many factors. Many events have their own special type of memorable character.

What track do you plan to release as your next single or album, and when is it due to be released?
It's a work in progress honestly. Purple Audio worked out very well. It's not easy to release a full trance album these days. Surprisingly it got a good rating from the critics. We had a superb amount of support from DJ's. We put out six singles before the album release, which is unusually because normally you would put out one of two singles. Every month a new single off of the album was released. It was a risk but it ended up working out in our favor.

Sometimes you have to take risks.
Yes, you always have to try new ways. The business is going faster and faster these days and they say that you should never change a winning concept but when the concept isn't working anymore its good to try new ways of doing things. Stay tuned for remixes on the Purple Audio Reloaded album. The artists I have personal respect for have chosen their personal favorites on the album and remixed the tracks. There will be a physical copy as well as exclusive digital releases.

Which of your own productions always get a strong reaction from the crowd?
There are so many of them.

Well, which ones make the crowd go absolutely wild?
Out of my own productions I would say Sunset Boulevard.

That is one of my favorites.
It really catches emotion on the dance floors. They go on a journey and get really into it. I would also say that Sunshine was also a really strong track on the dance floors as well as Walk The Edge. I get a lot of requests to play it. I actually received correspondence from a female from Canada who had cancer and she told me that she was on Chemotherapy and she told me the song helped her through the bad times. It really makes you think about how your music affects people and it's really touching.

Which of your earliest original productions or remixes are you most proud of? I'm talking about Flaming Clouds and New Harvest era… come on tell me!
Well you said it already!

Really? Are those the ones?
New Harvest was one of my favorites.

Absolutely!
New Harvest was really the peak time track that was hot at the moment. It was uplifting and emotional also Flaming Clouds. It was one of my first vocal tracks.

Who are some of your favorite artists to work with; and who do you look forward to working with in the future?
I get this question all the time. I would love to work with Paul van Dyk, but I have already. He has co-produced several of my tracks. When you have remixed nearly everyone who is big in the scene you really wonder what to focus on next. There aren't many missing on my list. You would probably know even better than me since you are posting your articles everyday. Not to sound arrogant but I don't know whom else at this point. I want to work with some vocalists for example, not any pop stars. People who are more into our style of music.

Well you have Sylvia!
Yes, but I can't say I would want to work with her because I am already working with her. (Laughs)

It's definitely happening!
Well for example may be Sharon Den Adel who has worked with Armin before, she has a really nice voice.

Have you begun working on the follow up to Purple Audio?
Yes! We just launched Purple Audio Reloaded. This year we are not focusing on a new album, which is in the making, but I can't say much about it but it will be developing next year. It would be nice if it works out but it will be released in 2011 at the earliest.

Have you ever thought of starting your own compilation series, or possibly one based on Heaven's Gate?
We literally just fixed the deal on this so I am glad that you asked. The Heavens Gate Compilation album one will be released with all of our favorite tracks on a double disc with myself and Woody Van Eyden and it should be ready next year.

What are some of your predictions in regards to the future of music?
If you are asking me where I think the future of music is going; If I know the answer to that right now I would be rich within three years. Honestly, I don't know where it's going.

Well, where do you think it's going?
Everything is going towards crossover. All these cool House and Progressive guys who don't want to touch trance are doing these bootlegs. They don't want to touch Trance.

Do you think that artists will ever win the fight against piracy?
No, I think there is no chance.

Does it bother you?
It is hard to find a system that will deliver protection against sharing your tracks. What makes me sad is the people who are grabbing the tracks for free, they don't even realize what they are doing. They don't even think they are doing something wrong. Physically as a metaphor if you see a market and someone walks up and steals an apple for free because they are hungry and they run away, they know for sure they did something wrong.

No remorse.
They don't even feel bad for a second. If someone were to invent a way to stop this may be it would change the way that people think about it. At this point I think it's nearly impossible. If I could compare it to a bakery, they steal the bread and don't even eat it themselves. They just give it all their friends.

That is a very good analogy by the way…
When you buy an album how can the person get a feeling of how much it is worth to them?

They won't notice what it is worth until its too late…
Yes, when the music becomes lower quality because the artist cant afford to get their studios running due to what is stolen from them, or when record companies can no longer have the funds to create covers, and hire people to properly promote their work on the internet. They download more than they could possibly listen to within a given day and its bullshit.

Are there any other projects in the works that you would like to tell us about?
What I am recently very proud about is my recent connection with Sylvia Tosun and her team.

They are great!
They are doing a lovely job and they are so passionate in what they do. I am so happy that I got in touch with them.

We are very glad to have you here playing for New York!
Thank you! I just remixed Sylvia's new single entitled Above All. I've been in love with that track from the first time she played it for me just four and a half months ago in her car. There are some great things lined up and I really love their company and I feel very welcome.

Do you have any other comments for your fans?
I would love to say thank you to everyone who believes in my music and comes to my shows. The most important thing I can say is, never stop enjoying the music that you love, no matter what support it! Show respect to the artists and buy a track or two if you can.

http://www.trancesound.net/news/201...e_pre_asot.html

Interview with TranceSound.net

When Alex M.O.R.P.H. unloaded "Purple Audio" from the chamber last year on VANDIT records it marked down a new chapter for one of the industries most recognizable faces. He has been a true force on the trance circuit for quite a few years and his debut LP brought together the tried and tested style we all know and love but also unleashed a new blend of electronic flavors. The sweet mixture of uplifting melodies, harmonic vocals, driving bass lines and mesmerizing breakdowns to be found in tracks like "Sunshine", "Spirit", "Break The Light" and "Purple Audio" were met with the guitar rocking vocal gem of "Wanna Be".

RELOADED takes the sound of Purple Audio and breaths new life into Alex's outstanding original works.

How are you today?

Alex M.O.R.P.H.: Hello, I am very well, thank you. I'm a little bit tired; I had a long flight behind me. I flew in from Germany today and last weekend I flew in to Miami and went back to Germany for three and half days and now I am back in the United States.

Are you planning on doing any shopping while you are here?

Alex M.O.R.P.H.: Yes, that will be tomorrow. Tomorrow I will spend the day shopping, and save a bit of time for relaxing before the sound check. Then we will have dinner with all of the artists and we are off to ASOT 450.

When are you staying until?

Alex M.O.R.P.H.: I will be staying until Sunday night. I want to relax a bit before I go home. I don't want to moan but many people don't know what's behind being a DJ. Of course it's the best job in the world for me; it's my dream job and I love doing it.

That's right, they just think you land and you play and it's all over. Always busy right?

Alex M.O.R.P.H.: It's hard work being a global artist. They think I just jump on a plane and people roll out the red carpet. It's about much more than just having fun. You waste a lot of time on jet lag, turbulence, customs etc.

And interviews? (laughs)

Alex M.O.R.P.H.: Oh no, that's not a waste of time. I think it's very important these days. Our music is very underrated in the press and magazines. Trance is totally underrated.

In the US definitely.

Alex M.O.R.P.H.: Well not just there but everywhere. When you see all the dance magazines, it's all about the minimal, techno and house. People forget that the big audiences are drawn to the major trance events. We fill up the big halls. There is enough room for all kinds of music but I wish it wasn't so underrated all the time.

I completely agree with you. I will always be into trance until the day I die.

Alex M.O.R.P.H.: Just look at the top ten DJ's of the world for example.

How does your creative process work for producing tracks?

Alex M.O.R.P.H.: It depends on whether it's a remix or an original track. Remixes are usually very easy for me. I just listen to the track that I am preparing the remix for and I get some ideas of where I am going with it. If I don't hear anything I can work with then I simply don't do it. I usually hear something during my first listen. For my own productions it's a bit different because you have to invent your own melodies. When you are creating your own track you start with just an idea and begin from scratch and develop it.

I've already interviewed you at least three times if you can remember but since we last caught up with you in 2009 has there been any progress in regards to the Trance scene in Germany?

Alex M.O.R.P.H.: Well we finally meet in person (laughs) I do remember the interviews. When you are on the internet conversing with people you remember the things you discuss but you can't necessarily put a face to the name of figure out who the person really is.

Yes, the Internet is very impersonal when it comes to interviews.
There is nothing like having a like one on one with the artist you are interviewing. You get an immediate vibe.

Alex M.O.R.P.H.: We have set up some nice small events since then about three to four times a year in Germany. Last year the company behind Mayday and Nature One decided to do a full trance event, which is pretty cool, and a step in the right direction. It's still very risky in Germany event if you do everything in the appropriate fashion you can still loose money. We had all the big names you can imagine in the scene and then we hosted our Heaven's Gate event on the second floor and it went very well. I anticipate a second edition this year. We are teaming up with promoters in our area to plan future events. We have Dash Berlin, and also Signum. I've loved Signum's stuff for ages and the new stuff they have been producing is incredible. They are a must have. Menno will also come in. We are trying our best to keep it running in Germany.

That's great! Oh Menno is awesome.

What are some of your goals in the Trance scene? The world is yours, what do you want to do?

Alex M.O.R.P.H.: Honestly I don't know. I hope that Trance can be much bigger than it is at the moment. I want to promote Trance and achieve more focus towards it and attract more attention. The quality is better than ever when you compare it with the old classic tunes. I'm talking about the A List, the good guys who know what they are doing! Their production level is better than ever.

Are you still working on drawings in your spare time?

Alex M.O.R.P.H.: I haven't had much time since the last time we spoke but yes I am still drawing when an idea hits me. It's very spontaneous when it happens.

Have you ever thought of showcasing your art?

Alex M.O.R.P.H.: Well my manager is always pressuring me to do so. The two topics in regards to music and design are a bit far away from each other. For example Purple Audio, I just woke up and decided the name of the album.

You know my favorite color is purple, so I love it!

Alex M.O.R.P.H.: Purple is a strong color, it has charisma. The concept was to bring a color into the tone of the music. I love the color purple. It explains the music and translates it.

How about if you were to do your own album covers?

Alex M.O.R.P.H.: Yes, we have thought about it several times. Sylvia can show you some of my art. I will send you some examples of it. I can't even describe it.

Are there any other projects in the works that you would like to tell us about?

Alex M.O.R.P.H.: What I am recently very proud about is my recent connection with Sylvia Tosun and her team. They are great! They are doing a lovely job and they are so passionate in what they do. I am so happy that I got in touch with them.

We are very glad to have you here playing for New York!

Alex M.O.R.P.H.: Thank you! I just remixed Sylvia's new single entitled "Above All". I've been in love with that track from the first time she played it for me just four and a half months ago in her car. There are some great things lined up and I really love their company and I feel very welcome.

Do you have any other comments for your fans?

Alex M.O.R.P.H.: I would love to say thank you to everyone who believes in my music and comes to my shows. The most important thing I can say is, never stop enjoying the music that you love, no matter what support it! Show respect to the artists and buy a track or two if you can.

*(Ignore the duplicate questions, this was one extensive interview that I split up for two media outlets.)

http://www.alexmorph.com/
http://www.myspace.com/alexmorph
http://www.electronicnightlife.com/

Last edited by euphoria on May-05-2010 at 13:30

Old Post May-04-2010 00:26  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for euphoria Click here to Send euphoria a Private Message Visit euphoria's homepage! Add euphoria to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
osterzone
Supreme tranceaddict

Alex Morph did not produce a single track for the original Purple Audio, and the album was mediocre.

Old Post May-04-2010 03:26  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for osterzone Click here to Send osterzone a Private Message Add osterzone to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
euphoria

quote:
Originally posted by osterzone
Alex Morph did not produce a single track for the original Purple Audio, and the album was mediocre.

Oster, let me give you some advice as I know that you have been getting into interviewing artists lately. Posting things like this will make artists hesitant to accept your interview requests.

It may not matter to you now, but when you start requesting some of the top 10 guys... reputation and credibility does matter. It would be in your best interest to maintain a neutral stance on your personal opinions, or at least ensure that they do not get traced back to you.

Old Post May-04-2010 14:36  United States
MeLLyMeL
I miss my best friend :(

he's polish?

Near to me

R.I.P. DarkAngel 12-16-o9

Old Post May-05-2010 04:01 
Click Here to See the Profile for MeLLyMeL Click here to Send MeLLyMeL a Private Message Visit MeLLyMeL's homepage! Add MeLLyMeL to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
euphoria

quote:
Originally posted by MeLLyMeL
he's polish?

No, hes German... he just speaks Polish. The two countries are like right next to each other so it's not uncommon.

Old Post May-05-2010 13:29  United States
osterzone
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by euphoria
Oster, let me give you some advice as I know that you have been getting into interviewing artists lately. Posting things like this will make artists hesitant to accept your interview requests.

It may not matter to you now, but when you start requesting some of the top 10 guys... reputation and credibility does matter. It would be in your best interest to maintain a neutral stance on your personal opinions, or at least ensure that they do not get traced back to you.

Where did I ever say I wanted to interview Alex Morph?

I'm not bashing your interview...I thought it was good...just stating the facts though. He didn't produce a single track on that album.

And I know not to rip people when trying to get interviews or harass them with annoying questions...I've done a LOT more writing than just this blog thing that I've been doing the past couple months. I'm not a noob when it comes to this...

Old Post May-05-2010 15:49  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for osterzone Click here to Send osterzone a Private Message Add osterzone to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Scoops
4 bags deep

Alex kinda looks like....

[QUOTE=thisisyumpop]I am a Wealth Management Advisor accused of selling and partying on a public forum where the NYPD street crimes and drug units read threads to get info on parties to shut down. This is not some bumblefuck hood, it is very serious. They could get my ip and investigate me over a lie. I could lose my entire career. The people on ta that know this are serious, this is too much[/quote]

Old Post May-05-2010 16:46 
Click Here to See the Profile for Scoops Click here to Send Scoops a Private Message Add Scoops to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
euphoria

quote:
Originally posted by osterzone
Where did I ever say I wanted to interview Alex Morph?

I'm not bashing your interview...I thought it was good...just stating the facts though. He didn't produce a single track on that album.

And I know not to rip people when trying to get interviews or harass them with annoying questions...I've done a LOT more writing than just this blog thing that I've been doing the past couple months. I'm not a noob when it comes to this...

Never said you wanted to interview Alex, but you have been interviewing some artists lately. Never said you were bashing either, and in my reply I didn't mean it offensively in the least. You are obviously entitled to your opinion. I was just trying to be helpful.

Old Post May-05-2010 16:59  United States
euphoria

Arrow Post-ASOT 450 Interview with Roger Shah

http://www.trancesound.net/news/201...roger_shah.html

Post ASOT 450 Interview with Roger Shah

Roger Shah is currently on an extensive world tour with stops in Australia, China, Mexico, and abroad. It is a great pleasure to say that he still managed to schedule some time for an interview with us at TranceSound.net after his recent performance at A State of Trance 450 in New York City to which he was invited to join by the worlds #1 DJ in the DJ Mag ranks; Armin van Buuren.

Besides the tour Roger is working on many upcoming projects including a Magic Island album, some collaborations with talented artists, as well as a new Sunlounger release. Roger shares some information with our readers, so keep reading to find out what you can expect from Roger in the next few months.

1. At what point in your life did you discover that you had a creative talent for music?

Roger Shah: Hmm, that's a good question. I think it must have been around my age of 10 years, when I got my first little keyboard from my parents. I have also been interested into music since I can remember. I also played in a cover band when I was 16 but realized that I want to compose my own songs instead of playing hits from other people.

2. Who showed you the ropes of production, did you attend any training or did you learn on your own?

Roger Shah: I had a semi - professional education and learned to read notes, chord progressions and playing keyboard in a private school. When it comes to production I learned most by doing terms and visiting some studios of the people I got to know. I think I still improve and develop myself.

3. What are some of your favorite artists to work with; and who do you look forward to working with in the future?

Roger Shah: This is hard to say, there are some many great musicians and artists out there. I always search to find some new great voices for my music. To work with a superstar from the rock/pop business could be cool too, but maybe it's not really realistic. For the Roger Shah album, which I will complete next year, I will come up with some surprises on the vocal side, but it's too soon to talk about.

4. Are you excited to play in New York for the first time?

Roger Shah: Haha, sure! I have to say, that it's not my first time. I already played in New York 10 years ago in June 2000. It was that time when I had my first hit records in Germany. One of our worldwide label partners who released my tracks was with Webster Hall Records, so I played in the Webster Hall.

5. Wow! 10 years, that is a long time. You are way overdue. What does performing at the ASOT 450 gig mean to you?

Roger Shah: This means a lot to me, because my whole career got a push into the right direction when I played at ASOT350 for the first time. I am always happy when I get an invitation to play those annual major events. It's always a good chance for me to play my tracks and create some buzz for my upcoming tracks. At ASOT450, I think I played about 7 world premieres.

6. How does your creative process work for producing tracks?

Roger Shah: I'm always creative and always compose music, in hotel rooms, and airplanes. Whenever I get an inspiration on tour, I have to connect my keyboard to my laptop and play some basic chords and melodies to remember the melody and work further when I get back home. I always start with chords, and then compose a top line/main melody and do everything from there.

7. What track do you plan to release as your next single or album, and when is it due to be released?

Roger Shah: I have 2 albums to be released this year, "Magic Island - Music For Balearic People Volume 3" mix album that contains 100% exclusive and upcoming tracks from my label. I also did 9 tracks and collaborations for myself, so it's more like a new album than just a mix album. Watch out for some great collaboration I did with Signum, Tenishia, Leon Bolier, and others. The release date will be June 11th.

My main project for this year and I know a lot of people are waiting for it, is the new Sunlounger album. The first single is called "Found" and is the follow up single for my ASOT tune of the year 2008 entitled "Lost". We just finished the video for it. The reactions are amazing so far and I can't wait to have this track released by end of May. The Sunounger album can be expected around end of August or September.

8. Which of your own productions always get a strong reaction from the crowd?

Roger Shah: All my so called big hits get huge reactions, so where ever I go people are waiting for tracks like "Lost", "White Sand", "Who will find me", "Back to you", "Going Wrong", "Body Lotion" or my big track and collaboration of last year "Healesville Sanctuary" which I did with Signum.

9. What are some of your goals in the Trance scene?

Roger Shah: I don't consider myself to be just a Trance artist and also don't understand why there's a need of defining each track or artist for a genre. I love to produce dance music and I love the atmospheric and melodic way, but don't think that I am a real Trance artist. I already reached my goal. I already live my dream. I do the music I love to do, which comes straight from my heart and soul. I travel all over the world and share my music with all my fans every week. My fan base is still growing and I also still receive emails from people who just discovered my music. If you ask me for a goal in the Trance scene, maybe it is to get people into Trance music, to show why this music is so beautiful and worth to listen to.

10. What are some of your favorite tracks at the moment?

Roger Shah: There are so many good producers and tracks out there; when I do live shows I just play my own music, remixes, or tracks from my Magic Island label. In my radio show I play 18 new tracks I receive from other labels each week, so it's very hard to choose. I just signed some new tracks to my label and have some amazing artist. Watch out for tunes by Kim Svärd or Nuera to name a few.

11. What advice would you give an up and coming producer?

Roger Shah: Try to find your own sound, produce, and compose what you feel and not for the fact that this is the sound which everybody is playing at the moment. I know some producers when they are in the studio, they listen to other tunes and try to make something similar or in that direction. Sometimes I hear a track in a club and think like wow, amazing, maybe I can do something like this too, but back in the studio I would never listen to it again and try to copy it.

12. Are there any other projects in the works that you would like to tell us about?

Roger Shah: As I already mentioned I did some nice collaborations for my Magic Island album. I did a tune called "Roger Shah & Ross Lara feat. Todd Wright - Lay Down". I think this tune shows another side of me, a bit more banging and darker but still with this Rogerish melodies. At the moment I'm working very hard on the last tunes for Sunlounger and I have also composed a lot of layouts for the Roger Shah solo album for next year.

13. Do you have any other comments for your fans?

Roger Shah: I want to thank my fans for the great support and nice words I always receive through Facebook, Twitter, MySpace or email. It means a lot to me, that's why I still answer to everybody personally. It also so great to see the way they are into my music, celebrating my live shows, singing along to my music, it's always more like a concert, just amazing. This will always keep me doing what I'm doing. It's all about passion. Cheers!

http://www.rogershah.net/
http://www.myspace.com/rogerpshah
http://www.myspace.com/euph0riaX

Old Post May-13-2010 15:20  United States
euphoria

Read This! Euphoria's Interview Thread.....

http://www.365mag.com/index.php?pg=...+Music+Magazine

365MAG INTERVIEW: RICHARD DURAND
Special: 365 Interview (2010-05-17)

We have some breaking news for In Search of Sunrise lovers all around the world. The franchise and compilation series had been placed in the able hands of none other than Richard Durand. Instead of discontinuing the acclaimed series Black Hole Recordings has handed Richard Durand the torch so to speak, and the results are quite promising.

We look forward to the release as well as future installments. Richard feels quite strongly in regards to the continuation and as a result this had inspired him to accept this task.

It's no secret that you have taken over the In Search Of Sunrise franchise. Can you tell us how it came about that you were offered to mix the latest and eighth in the esteemed compilation series?

Tiësto parted with Black Hole Recordings and ended the In Search Of Sunrise series. I've always had and always will have a lot of respect for Tiësto. The mantle was sort of handed to me to carry on the torch, after Tiësto moved on. I was very honored to take on the task!

What was your immediate reaction to the news once you heard you would be invited to mix the compilation?

When Black Hole Recordings approached me about the mix, I thought long and hard before saying yes. I've always been a big ISOS fan myself and after weighing all the pros and cons, I decided to do the mix in part because I couldn't bear the thought of such a fantastic and globally adored compilation series coming to an end.

How do you intend on continuing the sentiment behind the series?

I've really tried to maintain the ISOS concept as much as possible. With that said, I'm not Tiësto, and so I choose other records than he would have chosen. I have my own personality and tastes as a DJ, producer and performer! I think the release has turned out great and I'm sure that true ISOS fans will really enjoy it.

What noticeable changes have you seen in regards to the increase of your audience over the years?

When you are getting bigger as an artist, more people know you and the places that you perform are getting bigger and bigger. My first gig outside of Holland was Turnmills in the UK for 100 people. Last New Years Eve I was playing at Sensation Australia for over 50,000 people… so there is some increase, as you can see! [laughs]

How difficult is it for a DJ to learn how to play to the crowd, and which methods do you feel are the best for acquiring this skill?

I don't think that this is something you can learn. You need to “feel” the crowd. You have to pretend that you are on the dance-floor yourself. Only then do you know what the crowd wants.

Can you tell us how you linked up with Jes for your latest collaboration track?

I love the voice of JES. She already completed so many beautiful tracks. She is with the same label as I am (Black Hole Recordings). So the connection was easily made.

Is there any particular reason you decided to name your track “N.Y.C.”?

Well, just listen to the track and you will have your answer. [laughs]

What other collaborations are you currently working on?

I cannot tell you about this at the moment, but stay tuned!

Are there any up and coming artists that you believe the world should be keeping an eye on?

Yes, Alexander O'Rion…he is a very gifted guy.

Have you begun working on your next artist album?

I will start working on a new track next week and then take a look at planning for the next album.

Do you anticipate dabbling in any other genres of electronic music in the future?

Who knows? It will always be dance, but there are so many styles and genres. I am already making different types of music than I did three years ago.

You have an upcoming North American tour, what are some of the cities you will be performing in?

I am just back from San Francisco and L.A., and new dates are pending at the moment. You can see my latest tour dates on my website.

Can you share some of the highlights of your recent performance at Webster Hall in New York alongside Cosmic Gate?

Webster Hall was great! New York is one of my favorite cities in the entire world to perform in. The people are free and open-minded. I love that atmosphere!

Which of your own productions do you personally find yourself listening to most often in your spare time?

None! I never listen to dance, or trance, or house music during my spare time. In my down time, I only listen to news programs or talk shows.

When you are not on tour or in the studio, what hobbies or activities do you engage in?

I love to play pool with friends and go out for a nice dinner.

There are so many successful DJs that originate from The Netherlands in comparison to other countries. Any idea why this may be?

Because we are the best? No, seriously…I don't know.

We look forward to catching you on your upcoming ISOS 8 tour! Do you have any other comments for our readers?

I hope to see you all when I'm back in the U.S. this summer!

- Interview by Zaneta Ortiz [365Mag]

http://www.blackholerecordings.com/
http://www.richarddurand.com/

Richard Durand In Search of Sunrise 8 Special Edition Interview - TranceSound.net

http://www.trancesound.net/news/201...ard_durand.html

TranceSound.net is proud to bring you the latest news from world-renowned artist Richard Durand. Richard is taking over the In Search of Sunrise franchise and the upcoming release is slated for June 1st, 2010.

The highly anticipated compilation will be Richard’s interpretation of the series while continuing with the same concept that has made ISOS so successful thus far.

It’s no secret that you have taken over the In Search Of Sunrise franchise. Can you tell us how it came about that you were offered to mix the latest and eighth in the esteemed compilation series?

Richard Durand: Tiesto parted with Black Hole Recordings and ended the In Search Of Sunrise series. I’ve always had and always will have a lot of respect for Tiesto. The mantle was sort of handed to me to carry on the torch, after Tiesto moved on. I was very honored to take on the task!

Approximately how much time was invested in the mixing and track selection for In Search of Sunrise 8?

Richard Durand: About three months.

What are your reasons behind selecting South Africa to represent this installment of the ISOS series?

Richard Durand: South Africa is such an amazing country. The landscape and scenery are absolutely mind blowing. When you walk along the surf of one of Cape Town’s beautiful beaches you can’t help but believe you’re in paradise. Because trance is still really up and coming over there, performing is a real treat. Big dance events are fun but when you know people have been waiting in anticipation for over a month to come and see you perform, a smaller, more intimate club is just as great.

What is the most important lesson that you have learned in regards to the business aspect of the music industry?

Richard Durand: That you’re never going to make it in the music industry alone. You need a good management and record label team behind you.

What advice would you give to up and coming producers?

Richard Durand: Be yourself, create your own style, and never do it for the money. If your basis is the love of music and you want to give everything for it, you can make it.

Can you tell us about any upcoming singles following the release of “N.Y.C.”?

Richard Durand: Next month I will start working on new tracks for a release after the summer.

What are some of the factors that affect your decision on whether or not you will accept the offer of remixing another artists track?

Richard Durand: I only remix tracks that I like, and mostly, I make remixes for my own sets. Those tunes often get noticed by the original producers, and they often ask me if they can release it. Sometimes I say, “Yes,” but most of the time I say, “No,” because I would like to keep my DJ sets unique.

Have you begun working on your next artist album?

Richard Durand: I will start working on a new track next week and then take a look at planning my next album.

Your real first name is Richard, but where did the name Durand originate?

Richard Durand: I did not like to have a Dutch or English name, so I researched throughout France to see what sounded nice with “Richard.” [laughs]

In which countries do you believe you have the strongest following?

Richard Durand: This changes almost every month! Last year it was Poland, Holland, and the UK. Now, I can also add Australia the U.S., and Canada.

We look forward to catching you on your upcoming ISOS 8 tour! Do you have any other comments for our readers?

[/b]Richard Durand:[/b] I hope to see you all when I’m back in the U.S. this summer!

- Interview by Zaneta Ortiz [TranceSound.net]
Photo credit Black Hole

http://www.richarddurand.com/
http://www.blackholerecordings.com/
http://www.myspace.com/euph0riaX

Last edited by euphoria on Jul-09-2010 at 13:56

Old Post May-18-2010 16:17  United States

tranceaddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > USA > USA - New York > Euphoria's Interview Thread (Updates: Funkerman, Daniel Wanrooy, Redroche, Kyau & Albert)
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (14): « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread