Become a part of the TranceAddict community! Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
tranceaddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Canada > Canada - Toronto & Southern Ont. > Riots and Anti-Government Protests in Egypt
Pages (17): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
The Potter
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Jayx1
CNN actually

That may be the direct translation but dont play me because we know what context that is used in these circumstances.

"..don't play me.." Ooh, get you! You are the one who is trying to take us for fools, but you are proving yourself too ignorant to do so. Bless your cotton socks, though, as you are still doing your best to stick to your false assertion. I suggest you stop digging.

quote:

im just restating what was just announced on a credible news source

What is this "context" that you talk of, oh learned Professor of Arabic and Middle Eastern History? If you want to talk about context, I suggest you at least get the context correct: I saw the same coverage on CNN, and the 'Jihad' chants were by the anti-Mubarak protestors in the square, against the pro-Mubarak goons. Would logic dictate that they were using 'Jihad' to mean 'holy war' against fellow Sunni Muslims, or in the sense of a general 'struggle', as per the actual dictionary definition? You seem to WANT to believe that they want to blow up your infidel ass. Therein lies your intrinsic bias and lack of rationality, as why else would you be distorting the truth to suit your agenda? I believe that this is not intentional, but rather a subconscious motivation on your part.

quote:

bigotry? Why? Because a white guy has an opinion? That bigotry comment from you is actually quite bigoted to be honest. Funny but an arabic friend of mine actually shares a lot of the same opinion as I do. I guess hes also a bigot? Oh I forgot, hes allowed to have an opinion. Im not.

I REPEAT.

I HAVE NEVER SAID THAT EGYPTIANS OR ANYONE ELSE DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO SELF DETERMINATION. WHAT I HAVE SAID IS THAT IT LOOKS LIKE THE ALTERNATIVE IS GOING TO BE FAR WORSE THAN MUBAREK MEANING A RATIONAL PERSON WOULD THEN SAY THAT MUBAREK IS THE BETTER OF TWO EVILS

Anyone else wish to put words in my mouth?

With these comments and previous ones, this is why you leave yourself open to the accusation of bigotry/bias, as rather than objectively looking at the evidence and facts of the situation, you seem to gather information to support a PRE-determined agenda.

Your argument seems to boil this: people should not even TRY to make their country more democratic, if it cannot be a perfect resolution and if there is a chance that their lives might get worse, crime might increase and there might be terrorism. Now, look at these examples of Christian terrorism in the US:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_terrorism

Since there was in fact some instability/terrorism in the US, should the founding fathers not even have bothered? Given that the democratic process can be ugly, and can take many years (e.g. black people), and is actually still evolving (e.g. homosexual rights), are you therefore saying that the American people should not even have dared to hope by fighting the war of independence? There is another degree of instability that is always inherent in the western world: with their freedoms, people have the liberty to do bad, as well as good; therefore, since crime pervades our imperfect democratic societies, shall we revert to living in police states? Complete security and stability will guaranteed, so what would be the problem? Hell, we could even headhunt Mubarak to come on over and be our dictator, as does such a good job! Why does it have to be all or nothing in terms of stability and democratic perfection for Egypt and Muslim countries, but not for western democracies?

For someone who I thought was a staunch libertarian, your principles seem to based on quicksand: certain freedoms may apply to your neighbour next door, but not to your neighbours in other parts of the world. As a general rule, well-founded principles should stand up to more intellectual scrutiny than that. Seriously, a lot of the time people are not even aware of their internal bias and inconsistencies, so they remain in denial. A period of introspection may be called for.

By the way, many neoconservatives disagree with your assessment about the risk of Egypt become an extremist country:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/02/AR2011020207325.html

Last edited by The Potter on Feb-03-2011 at 09:36

Old Post Feb-03-2011 09:21  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for The Potter Click here to Send The Potter a Private Message Add The Potter to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
TheVrk
Mediterranean Canadian

quote:
Fundamentalists of any religion are dangerous. Since we are talking about Egypt, we are talking about Islamic fundamentalists. Id have the same opinion about a theocracy of any religion.

I do hope that Egypt becomes democratic for the sake of everyone.

+1

Old Post Feb-03-2011 11:40  Croatia
Click Here to See the Profile for TheVrk Click Here to Email TheVrk Click here to Send TheVrk a Private Message Visit TheVrk's homepage! Add TheVrk to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
VDub
Scoundrel

quote:
Originally posted by hardcore trancer
wow they didnt ban you yet?

Heh...

The day...

LOL so fitting.

Old Post Feb-03-2011 13:13 
Click Here to See the Profile for VDub Click here to Send VDub a Private Message Add VDub to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Endlesswave
Resident GreekCypriot.

The the church bombing actually had Egyptian Arabs sit IN the front pews of a Coptic church or two in solidarity with their Egyptian countrymen...

As for Mubarak's replacement, it better not be some crazy fundamentalist.

Mubarak although propped up by the US is still better than some crazy extreme Islam political party IMO.

Old Post Feb-03-2011 14:28  Cyprus
Click Here to See the Profile for Endlesswave Click Here to Email Endlesswave Click here to Send Endlesswave a Private Message Add Endlesswave to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
jester
[enigma within a enigma]

I hope more people leave Egypt, the day after the Muslim Brotherhood gets rid of the treaty. All hell will be raining down up on Egypt again.

Goes to show, that certain factions want ever lasting war in the region.

Al-Alam TV (Iran) via Memri

I would need to work on my Farsi to see if the translations are 100% accurate.

Last edited by jester on Feb-03-2011 at 19:17

Old Post Feb-03-2011 15:16 
Click Here to See the Profile for jester Click here to Send jester a Private Message Add jester to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
VDub
Scoundrel

quote:
Originally posted by Endlesswave

As for Mubarak's replacement, it better not be some crazy fundamentalist.

Mubarak although propped up by the US is still better than some crazy extreme Islam political party IMO.

Oooooooo now you're in trouble..

LOL so fitting.

Old Post Feb-03-2011 15:27 
Click Here to See the Profile for VDub Click here to Send VDub a Private Message Add VDub to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Nrg2Nfinit
ItaloDiscoAddict

quote:
Originally posted by jester
I hope more people leave Egypt, the day after the Muslim Brotherhood gets rid of the treaty. All hell will be raining down up on Egypt again.

Goes to show, that certain factions want ever lasting war in the region.

What the hell are you talking about? Who said anything about getting rid of a treaty? or war with israel? or the fact that muslim brotherhood or an islamic party will take control? A democratic country, will "rain hell" on another country seeking "democracy"? How much more hypocritical can you get.

Do yourself a favor, see how the oppressed people of israel came to form their own state, and try to apply it to the egyptian people. Listen to what the students and protesters say. They just want the freedom to choose. Where is the MB? Where is their chanting and saying that they want islamic rule? Or anything remotely close to that?

I suggest that you calm you're excitement over potential change and stop trying to rally propaganda bullshit. These people simply want a better life and a right for proper delegation of government funds

http://news1.capitalbay.com/top-sto...ies/197376.html

the mubarak family has a net asset value of over 50 billion dollars.. obscene! how can you say that this is fair for the people and better and try to insinuate that democracy will lead to theocracy before the process has even started.

Old Post Feb-03-2011 18:39 
Click Here to See the Profile for Nrg2Nfinit Click here to Send Nrg2Nfinit a Private Message Add Nrg2Nfinit to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
VDub
Scoundrel

Jester must be a biggot...

LOL so fitting.

Old Post Feb-03-2011 18:43 
Nrg2Nfinit
ItaloDiscoAddict

quote:
Originally posted by VDub

I never said that, i said he was completely jumping the gun. Perhaps if you read before you opened your mouth; you know, like when you claimed your buddy wasn't renaming tracks and sending them in to record labels.

Old Post Feb-03-2011 18:50 
Click Here to See the Profile for Nrg2Nfinit Click here to Send Nrg2Nfinit a Private Message Add Nrg2Nfinit to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
jester
[enigma within a enigma]

quote:
Originally posted by VDub

I am far from a biggot. I am actually much, much worse. I hate everyone equally.

Old Post Feb-03-2011 18:53 
Click Here to See the Profile for jester Click here to Send jester a Private Message Add jester to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
VDub
Scoundrel

quote:
Originally posted by jester
I am far from a biggot. I am actually much, much worse. I hate everyone equally.

Well I'm not racist. I own a colour tv...

LOL so fitting.

Old Post Feb-03-2011 19:01 
VDub
Scoundrel

quote:
Originally posted by Nrg2Nfinit

You're so dumb you can't even tell when you're being mocked...

LOL so fitting.

Old Post Feb-03-2011 19:03 

tranceaddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Canada > Canada - Toronto & Southern Ont. > Riots and Anti-Government Protests in Egypt
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (17): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread