Become a part of the TranceAddict community! Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
tranceaddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > How to get a super cheap but seriously powerful mac....
Pages (6): « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Looney4Clooney
so i have 4 of those thunderbolt G drives, whichi baically gives you pciex bandwdth and despite the drives being daisy chained, the performance does not degrade each node.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H...bolt-hard-drive

So i replaced the drives in the G drive ( they have a 2 drive set up ) with SSDs

so i have 2 ssds in the actual macbook, 1 programs, 1 audio files.
then 6 in the G drives, all forming a raid 0 array. all samples that are stores else where and then the last drive is just a regular 4 tb g drive

So 3 TB of raid 0 SSD
4 TB of normal storage
16 of ram

loaded a heavy project from my mac pro and the I7 could handle it. I had reduce Kontact's buffer but essentially, was running a project that my other computer which was using 18 gigs of ram.

I basically use it as my video editor but ya, tits.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

That should actually read: 3 TB of Thunderbolt raid 0 SSD.

Fucking christ. That is quite possibly, the fastest external drive setup you could achieve.

The thing is, most i7 systems can handle the projects, it's mor a matter of data bottle necking - even though logic has the discrete CPU and HDD monitors, it doesn't properly account for slow data throughput from your drives. Sure the HDD meter will spike with slow drives but magically, when you put SSD's in there you CPU meter also consistently records lower overall readings.

Old Post Jun-02-2012 02:37 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mel David
Supreme tranceaddict

L4C, do you actually use VCC for classical music? And is Altiverb better than VSL's competitive product? Will be getting a reverb sometime in the future after I've acquired a beefier PC.

Old Post Jun-06-2012 04:47  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for Mel David Click Here to Email Mel David Click here to Send Mel David a Private Message Visit Mel David's homepage! Add Mel David to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Looney4Clooney
Supreme tranceaddict

i don't use the VCC regardless but i think the more acoustic your recording is , the more you might want such a tool. I would say they are different. IF you are just using VSL, MIR might work, i think the IR's from A7 are better and more versatile, i personally would not suggest either for EDM. YOu need a second computer to run MIR, it takes that much CPU.

Old Post Jun-06-2012 10:31 
Click Here to See the Profile for Looney4Clooney Click here to Send Looney4Clooney a Private Message Add Looney4Clooney to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
aquila
Champion Thread Killer

quote:
Originally posted by Looney4Clooney
3 TB of raid 0 SSD

I seriously hope you backup that RAID. Regularly. Like every day.

You don't need me to tell you what a world of pain you will be in should one of those SSDs fail...

Old Post Jun-06-2012 13:15 
Click Here to See the Profile for aquila Click here to Send aquila a Private Message Visit aquila's homepage! Add aquila to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Looney4Clooney
Supreme tranceaddict

nope. It is static read data. I never gets backed up as it is a backup.

Old Post Jun-06-2012 13:18 
Click Here to See the Profile for Looney4Clooney Click here to Send Looney4Clooney a Private Message Add Looney4Clooney to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Evolve140
Only Sidechaining a Bit

dude. this is some seriouslu fucked up shit. idsgjs icanm't read. gotta go to bed. now\. wil e nice. sleeep.

Old Post Jun-06-2012 13:25  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Evolve140 Click here to Send Evolve140 a Private Message Add Evolve140 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

tranceaddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > How to get a super cheap but seriously powerful mac....
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (6): « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread