Become a part of the TranceAddict community! Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
tranceaddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > Against Armchair Literature
Pages (7): « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Meat187
Diese scheiß Katze

quote:
Originally posted by Lira
I don't listen exclusively to low brow music. I really like minimalism

AHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH!

Then stop coloring and visit Meat187's mix archive!

Old Post May-22-2012 18:48  Germany
Click Here to See the Profile for Meat187 Click here to Send Meat187 a Private Message Add Meat187 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Looney4Clooney
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
Amazingly, you're still wrong. This thread is about literary authors abusing or misusing science and other academic subjects. I think you've inadvertantly brought up another worthwhile point to add to the discussion though: some readers are just so stupid they can misinterpret even the most clear and accurate writing, on any subject.

i think i'm just looking at the bigger picture.

Old Post May-22-2012 19:23 
Click Here to See the Profile for Looney4Clooney Click here to Send Looney4Clooney a Private Message Add Looney4Clooney to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
TheTrinity
Junior tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Looney4Clooney
because both situations encapsulate all possibilities ? genius. I don't think anyone would be surprised.

I assumed it was a bunch of pseudo intellectuals demanding that writers be less like Dan Brown. I find this demand on art quite ironic considering EDM is what many would consider the lowest form of music. I guess the aesthetic demands on just one form of art to me seems a little hypocritical. But you are right , did not read a single post. I glossed the first page.

ps: i took about 1 minute just to see , and yup, my post outlines exactly what i thought would be going on. Which is why i asked why you hold one art to such levels yet are rolling in the mud with another. Rather strange to me.

the less amount of understanding there is in a subject area by the general population, for example (some genres of EDM that are not popular),

the more depth of understanding they require from the listener.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Trinity6III
Blog:
http://godthetrinity.blogspot.ca/
Productions:
http://soundcloud.com/the-trinity-iii
The Next Level:
http://soundcloud.com/dj-the-nexus

Old Post May-22-2012 20:23  United Nations
Click Here to See the Profile for TheTrinity Click here to Send TheTrinity a Private Message Visit TheTrinity's homepage! Add TheTrinity to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
infiniteJEST
solipsist sitcom

quote:
And I agree.

Hmm...

Not really. I don't want science to be above art. I want science and art to join hands and walk on the beach. I want art and science to become companions, not enemies. I want science and art to engage in a lustful, lascivious, lewd, libidinous, amorous, lickerish, libertine, fulsome, lecherous, concupiscent, carnal, ruttish, salacious exchange of fluids, ideas and concepts whenever possible.

But art can be devoid of science, of course. Otherwise there would be no fantastic fiction, would there?

My my my. A post does get around. In September it was in page three, come May, page six. My oh my. And just what makes you think that art and science aren't already lesbian sisters? Scissoring each other not only for mere swapping of luscious fluids (& etc.) but also to trim one another, right where the hair thickens, grooming their sloping forms as they moan and small-talk matters feminine and fundamental.

See, the science of optics gives art things like depth perspective and color theory, while the aesthetics of art grant sciences like physics a nifty compass to help illuminate the way: mathematical beauty. So the sun is hurling yellow everywhere and the waves jump for the moon, hidden behind the blaring blue. Art unravels her ponytail and peels off the body paint to get naked while science lets the bifocal specs drop to the sand as she stretches out her groin (scissoring is a bit of a slapstick method to go about carnal love but that's how these two sluts roll) to prepare for the day's festivities. And there you are, comfortably cool, behind the computer, letting the thoughts spiral off into binary while big titty bitches are at their best, outside of debating!

It all goes to make me think that the bigger picture is...rather lewd.

Old Post May-22-2012 20:30 
Click Here to See the Profile for infiniteJEST Click here to Send infiniteJEST a Private Message Add infiniteJEST to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lira
Put on robe & wizard hat!

quote:
Originally posted by Anxieties
You want Hard Science Fiction for all Literature?

Not for all of literature, but at least for the main point when they're relevant. I couldn't care less if psychologists one day found out Juliet couldn't possibly have fallen for Romeo and "falsified" the whole story, for instance, but you can only go so far without doing any research. And, if you do your homework properly, it's just fair you pointed that out to your readers so they can learn more from it as well, being able to see what is(n't) accurate about your take on the issue.
quote:
Originally posted by Meat187
AHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH!

It's not the minimalism you've got in mind, Meat

Do you even know Arvo Pärt?

quote:
Originally posted by Halcyon+On+On
I could be completely off, but literature's aim has never been to instruct or to educate, and if you truly suspect that is its directive, I finally see why your initial premise is such a mess that sent people so many directions.

Not all of it, I give you that. I can't see what "John Dies at the End" and "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" have to offer on top of the few hours of entertainment they obviously provide. And it doesn't need to be "low brow" literature. Machado de Assis is a great Brazilian writer whose works I had to read as an adolescent, and I can't think of a single example of books where he would have benefited from some more thorough research (even because this kind of knowledge wasn't available to him at the time).

Also, there are works that offer moral education, which may not be grounded on hard facts, but on social rules (or the lack thereof). But still, I can't see how a writer could write anything without some kind of purpose in mind. And, when the purpose depends on hard facts, doing some background research is of the utmost importance. I mean, Ayn Rand was useless when it came to economy, and look at what she's achieved!
quote:
As an art form, it is purely reflective, and like your confused projection of the author-audience tautology, it is indeed reflective of the kind of parabolic meta-narrative on literature's charge and very right to misdirect or to deceive.

It isn't purely reflective, methinks, and the suspension of disbelief I believe you're talking about does have its merits, but it should be approached with caution.

For example, Kierkegaard's "Either/Or" is supposed to be a true story based on some manuscripts he found. If you follow the story, this has little impact on reality. But do you have any idea of how much disservice a film like "The Fourth Kind" does when people believe it really IS based on a true story. I went to the cinema with a friend who had a Master's in psychology, of all things, and I still had to PROVE it was all fiction, because the whole story is based on the premise that these facts really did happen and the data was all found in the archives of some psychologist from Alaska. All because the nutter was already prone to believe in spirits and whatnot - and this just made him all the more confident that the aliens were more advanced spirits that... bah, who cares what they did. Part of the reason our relationship became strained over time is because he clang all the more to these beliefs, and this kind of irresponsible fiction made him believe he was enlightened (to the point he started hurling abuses as sceptics).
quote:
You, Lira, see fit to comment that beauty's seeming fixation with truth is misguided, but I think it's more pertinent to consider that instead untruth holds far more beauty, and this is in itself a truth that literature's principal reason has been beholden of since the first lie ever submitted.

Actually, I don't think beauty and truth are connected in any way. I'm a pragmatist (no, not like Rorty), and I believe truth serves epistemological rather than aesthetic purposes.
quote:
Confusing information with education is at the forefront of delightful fallacies. And one that ought to be at the tip of everyone's minds, in the embryonic internet.

Actually, I do try to keep them apart as much as possible. But there'll always be some overlap between information and education, for you can't really educate if you're not informed

Old Post May-22-2012 20:32 
Click Here to See the Profile for Lira Click Here to Email Lira Click here to Send Lira a Private Message Visit Lira's homepage! Add Lira to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Halcyon+On+On
Liebchen

quote:
Originally posted by infiniteJEST
My my my. A post does get around. In September it was in page three, come May, page six. My oh my. And just what makes you think that art and science aren't already lesbian sisters? Scissoring each other not only for mere swapping of luscious fluids (& etc.) but also to trim one another, right where the hair thickens, grooming their sloping forms as they moan and small-talk matters feminine and fundamental.

See, the science of optics gives art things like depth perspective and color theory, while the aesthetics of art grant sciences like physics a nifty compass to help illuminate the way: mathematical beauty. So the sun is hurling yellow everywhere and the waves jump for the moon, hidden behind the blaring blue. Art unravels her ponytail and peels off the body paint to get naked while science lets the bifocal specs drop to the sand as she stretches out her groin (scissoring is a bit of a slapstick method to go about carnal love but that's how these two sluts roll) to prepare for the day's festivities. And there you are, comfortably cool, behind the computer, letting the thoughts spiral off into binary while big titty bitches are at their best, outside of debating!

Thread's over. Everyone go home. Not you. You stay. You stay to have a little talksie with Coach.

Old Post May-22-2012 20:33 
Click Here to See the Profile for Halcyon+On+On Click here to Send Halcyon+On+On a Private Message Add Halcyon+On+On to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
infiniteJEST
solipsist sitcom

quote:
big titty bitches are at their best, outside of debating!

I did not mean this here, I think. Not at all >:|

Old Post May-22-2012 20:36 
Click Here to See the Profile for infiniteJEST Click here to Send infiniteJEST a Private Message Add infiniteJEST to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lira
Put on robe & wizard hat!

quote:
I did not mean this here, I think. Not at all >:|

Hell yeah, big titty bitches deserve all the art they can get!

Old Post May-22-2012 20:38 
Click Here to See the Profile for Lira Click Here to Email Lira Click here to Send Lira a Private Message Visit Lira's homepage! Add Lira to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
EddieZilker
This is the dance.

quote:

*unzips pants*

Now with extra singles!
my old stuff, not quite up to snuff - but I still dig it - UPDATED 9/23/2012

Old Post May-22-2012 20:39  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for EddieZilker Click here to Send EddieZilker a Private Message Visit EddieZilker's homepage! Add EddieZilker to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
zyklon-jay
The Real Henry Hill

Location: Ici William Bumbray du service de police de la communauté urbaine de Montréal Esti.

let's smoke cigarettes, fist each other and quote sartre.

Old Post May-22-2012 20:40 
Click Here to See the Profile for zyklon-jay Click here to Send zyklon-jay a Private Message Visit zyklon-jay's homepage! Add zyklon-jay to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Meat187
Diese scheiß Katze

quote:
Do you even know Arvo Pärt?

No. Not something I could get into right now. Latest development is that I'm starting to seriously like that Nu-Disco 80s revival sound. The time for music like that is when I'm over sixty. Oh, did I mention that I want to do a happy hardcore mix? If not let me just briefly point out that

FUCK YEAH, PAUL ELSTAK!!!!!

quote:
Not all of it, I give you that. I can't see what "John Dies at the End" and "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" have to offer on top of the few hours of entertainment they obviously provide.

And it would be utterly stupid to look for more in them. Seems like the fundamental difference is this: I want all literature to have the freedom and entertainment-oriented approach I loved so much in John dies at the End while you want all of it to follow the fact-oriented educational approach you like so much in [insert boring fag-osophy book here].

Then stop coloring and visit Meat187's mix archive!

Old Post May-22-2012 20:54  Germany
Click Here to See the Profile for Meat187 Click here to Send Meat187 a Private Message Add Meat187 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
Ambient Produce Unit

quote:
Originally posted by Looney4Clooney
i think i'm just looking at the bigger picture.

I'm not sure you're looking at any picture at all.

> BMC DJ Competition [Drum & Bass]
> Human Revolution [Theme Challenge Mix]
> Somnamdublism [Dub Techno]

>>Absorb. [Fortnightly Radio Show]<<

Absorb.

Old Post May-22-2012 23:27  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

tranceaddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > Against Armchair Literature
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (7): « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread