Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
tranceaddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > USA > USA - New York > John 00 Fleming's Note - Have Clubs Lost Their Groove?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
benjamin1forty
tranceaddict

John 00 Fleming's Note - Have Clubs Lost Their Groove?

As per his Facebook Page.

Have clubs lost their groove?
February 5, 2014 at 9:06am

" The festival boom has bought with it big production, huge LED walls, laser shows, smoke cannons and pyrotechnics acting as a backdrop to the DJ console that's escalated to the heavens showcasing the superstar DJ's. Along with this comes DJ's 'Festival sets', they have a very shortamount of time in the limelight, so with chests puffed out, Beatport's Top 20 drops are unleashed followed by the obligatory hands in the air crowd shot tweet and 'smashed it' Facebook status update.

For the dedicated music lovers, clubs are welcome sanctuary away from the festival madness, where they can watch DJ's craft their art with longer sets and musical freedom on better sound systems. This I fear is starting to become a thing of rarity as clubs are following a worrying pattern of creating mini festivals inside clubs. The same DJs are playing thesame style festival sets in clubs, these environments are the training grounds for our next generation, the results we have are an audience with short attention spans.
I honestly believe many of these guys are losing their art of actual DJing. When you're used to every track having a massive drop pushing those hands in the air, things will seem pretty flat if you venture away from this. So what's the point of record shopping looking for new interesting music, the crowd won't get it. Just keep playing the bombs.

I've had the conversations with them, they're trappedin a world they've created for themselves, this short attention span isn't just restricted to music, the fans will soon jump ship to another DJ if they don't deliver, so the pressure is on. Yes some miss this wonderful art of DJing, but others have achieved their goals of superstar status, we all have different agendas in our careers.

For me personally, playing big hits are the easy part of my set, I already know what reaction they will get, so these are left until the end of my set. I love the challenge of the unknown tracks, those tracks I spend hours hunting for in shops. I get an adrenaline buzz from the thrill of testing a new track on the dance floor and waiting for the reaction, Itís completely unknown and takes a lot of skill finding the right moments to place them in my set, but are also very gratifying seeing the rewards of my work finding this new music.

I love getting totally engrossed in my musical journey, planning forward in my head how and when I'll take things up, down, darker or harder. But ultimately itís the crowd in front of me that chooses this path as Iím constantly feeding from the dance floor of what limits I can reach.

To me, the real art is to hold a packed dancefloor in a groove for a sustained amount of time, they get engrossed in the hypnotic groove losing chunks of time with their eyes closed and headsdown. Tranced out. Thatís where true DJís earn their stripes, once you have control of the floor like this, you have the musical freedom to head where you want. The energy shift is so immense as you snap them out of this groove, itís creates an immense frizzen moment that no Ďdropícan match.

Itís a rare craft that used to be in weekly clubsacross the world, something you hardly experience today, especially from warmup DJís?!
Is it all about the dropÖor the groove? " - John 00 Fleming

Most of us here know this already, but how much longer will it take until the massive cheeseball EDM bubble pops? I hope its soon...

Old Post Feb-07-2014 17:33  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for benjamin1forty Click here to Send benjamin1forty a Private Message Add benjamin1forty to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
CarS
Senior tranceaddict

now, compare that to just about anything from AvB.
what a difference.

So far, the few times I've seen J00F, he's shown that it isn't just hot air with him, thankfully.

Seeing him with Neelix on 2/28, so this is making me look forward to that all the more (even though the line-up could be even smaller IMO).

Old Post Feb-08-2014 02:26  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for CarS Click here to Send CarS a Private Message Add CarS to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
euphoria

quote:
Originally posted by CarS

Seeing him with Neelix on 2/28, so this is making me look forward to that all the more (even though the line-up could be even smaller IMO).

Where?

Old Post Feb-11-2014 19:46  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for euphoria Click here to Send euphoria a Private Message Visit euphoria's homepage! Add euphoria to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
ViciousPanda
Supreme tranceaddict

Yeah we know already most of this.. I'd be more interested to hear what the other guys said about DJing when j00f asked them about it. To see the reaction when a real DJ asks these questions rather than some edm website trying to get clicks.. you know like a debate of real DJ vs mainstage DJ..

Cars, don't be surprised to see Neelix press play and only play with some effects, if any.. I had mod props for this guy until I saw a video of his clip on youtube the other day.

Old Post Feb-11-2014 21:08  Poland
Click Here to See the Profile for ViciousPanda Click here to Send ViciousPanda a Private Message Add ViciousPanda to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
lollerskates
tranceaddict

I've been listening to j00f global trance grooves lately on his soundcloud:
https://soundcloud.com/john00fleming

I completely agree with what j00f is saying here. The question last year was "IS TRANCE DYING?" and everyone thought it was about the music. This is a much more accurate assessment, focusing on the DJs and their priorities.

Last edited by lollerskates on Feb-11-2014 at 22:02

Old Post Feb-11-2014 21:10  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for lollerskates Click here to Send lollerskates a Private Message Add lollerskates to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
AY STAR
let the music use you up

john is one guy who has no plans of ever selling out
respect

Old Post Feb-12-2014 01:23  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for AY STAR Click here to Send AY STAR a Private Message Add AY STAR to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
CarS
Senior tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by euphoria
Where?

Ministry of Sound.
got lucky with a business trip on short notice, so I thought it worth it to tack on one extra day and miss klock (yeah, does suck) for J00F at MoS and an 8h AME (both guys, psych) set (diff venue).
best part, dont even need hotel room on one my bill, cause not sleeping 2/28 anyway, lol.

quote:
Originally posted by ViciousPanda
don't be surprised to see Neelix press play and only play with some effects, if any.. I had mod props for this guy until I saw a video of his clip on youtube the other day.

I missed his live set at Luminosity ADE in Oct, but feedback was positive to that set.
If it sucks, act ok, see above, mainly going for JOof and to check out MoS, after that its off to Wiedemann and co.

Old Post Feb-12-2014 05:22  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for CarS Click here to Send CarS a Private Message Add CarS to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Sedna
Supreme tranceaddict

More words of wisdom from the legend that is John 00 Fleming. Very glad to see him speak his mind again; too many DJs are afraid of speaking up these days, and the ones who do often do so in a hot-headed and egotistical manner. Not this guy. He knows what up, and his performances and his tenure in the scene speak to his credibility.

http://www.soundcloud.com/djsedna

Old Post Feb-12-2014 05:43 
Click Here to See the Profile for Sedna Click here to Send Sedna a Private Message Visit Sedna's homepage! Add Sedna to your buddy list Sedna is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
AY STAR
let the music use you up

quote:
Originally posted by Sedna
More words of wisdom from the legend that is John 00 Fleming. Very glad to see him speak his mind again; too many DJs are afraid of speaking up these days, and the ones who do often do so in a hot-headed and egotistical manner. Not this guy. He knows what up, and his performances and his tenure in the scene speak to his credibility.

couldnt have said it better. he is a great dj and a great person
i will always support him when he comes to town

@ cars...have a good trip man, keep us posted when you come back on how it was

Old Post Feb-12-2014 14:28  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for AY STAR Click here to Send AY STAR a Private Message Add AY STAR to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
ViciousPanda
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by CarS
Ministry of Sound.
got lucky with a business trip on short notice, so I thought it worth it to tack on one extra day and miss klock (yeah, does suck) for J00F at MoS and an 8h AME (both guys, psych) set (diff venue).
best part, dont even need hotel room on one my bill, cause not sleeping 2/28 anyway, lol.

I missed his live set at Luminosity ADE in Oct, but feedback was positive to that set.
If it sucks, act ok, see above, mainly going for JOof and to check out MoS, after that its off to Wiedemann and co.

The set was good, I think the video is from some festival in South America. But even if the set is good (shit, it better be if it's prerecorded), it just rubs me the wrong way when I see a DJ press play and then pretends to do shit when he clearly isn't.

lemme try to find that clip.
there you go

Last edited by ViciousPanda on Feb-12-2014 at 16:07

Old Post Feb-12-2014 16:01  Poland
Click Here to See the Profile for ViciousPanda Click here to Send ViciousPanda a Private Message Add ViciousPanda to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
benjamin1forty
tranceaddict

wow you can see the computer screen has the song's WAVs lined up on abelton.

Old Post Feb-12-2014 18:57  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for benjamin1forty Click here to Send benjamin1forty a Private Message Add benjamin1forty to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
CarS
Senior tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by AY STAR
have a good trip man, keep us posted when you come back on how it was

will do, but still here, def. see you at at Output all wknd, right?

vp: it's a def. let down for sure.
his ADE set was live, so I hope he didn't pull that SHM stuff there

Old Post Feb-12-2014 19:55  United States

tranceaddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > USA > USA - New York > John 00 Fleming's Note - Have Clubs Lost Their Groove?
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread