Become a part of the TranceAddict community! Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
tranceaddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > Prometheus, epic stuff
Pages (24): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Vector A
Supreme tranceaddict

Watch Ridley Scott's neck for clues?: http://www.lanceandeskimo.com/paul/neck.shtml

Old Post May-15-2012 22:02  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Vector A Click here to Send Vector A a Private Message Add Vector A to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
Ambient Produce Unit

While undeniably scientific fact in the case of George Lucas, I'm not sure there's not much of a neck-fat/cinematic quality correlation in the case of Ridley Scott, as the latter has been craggily middle aged since the start of his career and doesn't appear to have aged at all in the interim.

> BMC DJ Competition [Drum & Bass]
> Human Revolution [Theme Challenge Mix]
> Somnamdublism [Dub Techno]

>>Absorb. [Fortnightly Radio Show]<<

Absorb.

Old Post May-15-2012 22:28  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list SYSTEM-J is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Vector A
Supreme tranceaddict

Old Post May-15-2012 22:40  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Vector A Click here to Send Vector A a Private Message Add Vector A to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
GoSpeedGo!
no more Mr. Nice Guy

Apparently, this is nothing like Alien. Some folks even call it boring. I can't wait to see all the fanboys whining about how they expected a different film based on the trailers etc.

Going to see it on Friday, will shortly report afterwards.

Old Post May-30-2012 10:11 
Click Here to See the Profile for GoSpeedGo! Click here to Send GoSpeedGo! a Private Message Add GoSpeedGo! to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Richard Butler
Supreme tranceaddict

Made a quick silly video (see below) as I am excited about the film. Alien is my all time fave film. The attention to detail has never been surpassed. I like the non standard characters, so unlike the bland plastic people we tend to get in Hollywood films now.

I have a feeling Prometheus will be a let down, it looks a bit plastic and cheesey from the trailers.

Old Post May-30-2012 11:01  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Butler Click here to Send Richard Butler a Private Message Add Richard Butler to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Sushipunk
Flickering, I roam

quote:
Originally posted by GoSpeedGo!
Apparently, this is nothing like Alien. Some folks even call it boring. I can't wait to see all the fanboys whining about how they expected a different film based on the trailers etc.

Going to see it on Friday, will shortly report afterwards.

Ya, random reviews are turning up pretty average :/

> S u s h i p u n k . P h o t o g r a p h y <

Old Post May-30-2012 11:26  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for Sushipunk Click here to Send Sushipunk a Private Message Visit Sushipunk's homepage! Add Sushipunk to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Endlesswave
Resident GreekCypriot.

quote:
Originally posted by Sushipunk
Ya, random reviews are turning up pretty average :/

Yep. Apparently it's not as sutble as Alien was in terms of making you think of what the Alien really looks like while not showing the entire animal/creature. Keeping you guessing/fearing the worst. That was the entire thing of that movie, and basically creeping out males everywhere by having the Alien basically rape every member of the crew visually.

As for Prometheus I've heard it was good, read a review or two (not anything detailed) but not great. I will still be in the theatre though.

Old Post May-31-2012 21:25  Cyprus
Click Here to See the Profile for Endlesswave Click Here to Email Endlesswave Click here to Send Endlesswave a Private Message Add Endlesswave to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
WittyHandle
Supreme tranceaddict

Wondering if it's worth making the 90 min drive to Montreal to see it in Imax 3d, which also means waiting 2 weeks after normal release here.

Old Post May-31-2012 21:31  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for WittyHandle Click here to Send WittyHandle a Private Message Add WittyHandle to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Acton
VANDIT Knight

I would have been at the first showing today, but I'll now have to wait till I'm back from Hong Kong in a couple of days.

As for seeing it in IMAX 3D, I think you would be a fool to turn it down..... it's an amazing experience irrespective of the film.

>>> Beatport Stuff <<<

Old Post Jun-01-2012 14:40  England
Click Here to See the Profile for Acton Click Here to Email Acton Click here to Send Acton a Private Message Visit Acton's homepage! Add Acton to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
GoSpeedGo!
no more Mr. Nice Guy

quote:
Originally posted by Endlesswave
Yep. Apparently it's not as sutble as Alien was in terms of making you think of what the Alien really looks like while not showing the entire animal/creature. Keeping you guessing/fearing the worst. That was the entire thing of that movie, and basically creeping out males everywhere by having the Alien basically rape every member of the crew visually.

Yes, this is pretty much spot-on. Part of the charm of the original Alien was the mysteriousness of the creature which was explicitly phallic and, as you said, raped the humans.

Prometheus may be problematic for some because it tries to give an explanation to the mystery, but it also expands on the sexual horror in a very interesting way and ties it to the question of creation, both in a general sense (science vs. religion/faith) and with regards to this fictional universe.

This film definitely looks great and the 3D is worth it. There are many callbacks to the original Alien and also to Lawrence of Arabia (this one I have to figure out) so I'd say even the fanboys shouldn't feel let down. Perhaps the film's most striking weakness is that it tries to do too many things at once and, as usual with Scott lately, would benefit from a longer cut. Can't say I'm disappointed, though, overall it was very good.

Old Post Jun-01-2012 17:57 
Click Here to See the Profile for GoSpeedGo! Click here to Send GoSpeedGo! a Private Message Add GoSpeedGo! to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Halcyon+On+On
Liebchen

quote:
Originally posted by GoSpeedGo!
Perhaps the film's most striking weakness is that it tries to do too many things at once and, as usual with Scott lately, would benefit from a longer cut.

For some reason, his films have an extensive history of absolute butchery when it comes to studio editing. Bladerunner, Legend, and Kingdom of Heaven all spring to mind as pieces of his that were dramatically better with his own take/extensions.

Hopefully we can look forward to a 3-hour Blu-ray edition!

Old Post Jun-01-2012 18:02 
Click Here to See the Profile for Halcyon+On+On Click here to Send Halcyon+On+On a Private Message Add Halcyon+On+On to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
GoSpeedGo!
no more Mr. Nice Guy

quote:
Originally posted by Halcyon+On+On
Hopefully we can look forward to a 3-hour Blu-ray edition!

It'd be nice if something like this came out later, but I recall Scott saying he was actually happy with the theatrical cut. We'll see.

The script, as it stands, is really weak here; Meat is going to have a field day with this.

Old Post Jun-01-2012 19:08 

tranceaddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > Prometheus, epic stuff
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (24): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread