Become a part of the TranceAddict community! Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
tranceaddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Canada > Canada - Toronto & Southern Ont. > TOTA - APPLE iPHONE & iPAD & Mobile News Thread PT2
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
E2EK1EL
Supreme tranceaddict

Monkey Dancer 2 TOTA - APPLE iPHONE & iPAD & Mobile News Thread PT2

Apple Dominates 2011's Most Read WSJ Articles

2011 was not only a big year for Apple product releases and company developments, it was also a major period in which Apple-related events dominated the headlines like never before.

On Thursday, The Wall Street Journal proclaimed 2011 to be "the year of Apple, Inc."

According to the esteemed publication, eight of its ten most-read corporate articles this year were about Apple or its late co-founder and CEO Steve Jobs. The WSJ, however, says this category doesn't encompass finance, political events or general news content - which would have included coverage of the death of Osama bin Laden and the Japan earthquake.

Still, the single more popular - or most-read - article in the corporate sphere of the WSJ's news reporting was the article that covered Steve Jobs' death in October at the age of 56. Interestingly enough, the second most popular article was coverage pertaining to Verizon's acquisition of the iPhone to its network at the beginning of the year.

Clearly, 2011 was a year in which people wanted to read about Apple and its iconic leader. In addition to the WSJ reader traffic surge whenever Apple was mentioned, Amazon.com's best-selling book of the year was Steve Jobs' biography, penned by Walter Isaacson.

(Thanks to WSJ and their trusted sources for all the false Apple rumors)

2011 Apple Year In Review [Video]

The First All-Touch Phone Was Created By IBM, Not Apple

1992 was an eventful year. Gas was a paltry $1.05 a gallon. John Gotti got life in Prison. Bill Clinton became president. The Rodney King Riots overtook L.A.

Oh, and IBM invented the first all-touch phone: The Simon.

Simon was a gigantic device complete with a touch-based interface via a monochrome screen of touchy goodness. The screen even adapted to a given application albeit in a limited fashion. What else did a person need to do other than make phone calls, check a calendar or receive a fax in the early 90s?

It sported a matte black finish, something modern-day designers could take a cue from. Glossy doesn’t equal expensive anymore, it only equals scratches, and uncontrollable amount of scratches.

Watching the video makes me wonder how people got anything done during my youth. Life must have been a horrible mishmash of face-to-face communication and phone calls interrupted by a screeching fax machine.

(I was thinking it was the Palm that had the first touch screen phone ...)

Google's Insync Service No Longer in Beta - Good Alternative to Dropbox

Google’s Insync has been in closed beta for the last 15 months while advertising itself as a cheaper Dropbox alternative with a better feature set. The company is now finally ready to launch with a service that tightly integrates into Google Docs. According to their marketing, the service is “8x cheaper” than Dropbox and furthermore, the core service is now free. Customers who previously paid for the service during the beta period will be offered a refund or premium service credit. The only cost for basic membership is the cost of Google storage.

For those of you who didn’t know, Insync brings a number of unique features to the table, which helps differentiate itself from Dropbox’s current service. An example of this would be the ability to share individual files with more granularity, not just as public links, but with the option of specifying read-write or read-only permissions. Furthermore, you can also revoke a sharing link, which isn’t possible on Dropbox unless you move or delete the shared file. You can also nest sharing privileges so people might have access to just part of a folder structure. Users are also given the option to set re-sharing permissions, specifying whether those you share with can re-share that material or not. Recipients aren’t charged against their storage quota either, which is quite useful. Last but not least, the files all live inside your Google Docs account, but that doesn’t mean you’re limited to the supported Google file types; any file can be synced over as long as it is less than 10GB in size.

The Insync service supports multiple Google accounts and uses Google’s storage system, starting with 1GB of free storage and moving up to 20GB for $5/year up to 16TB for $4096/year. If you compare prices here, Dropbox’s pricing rates include 2GB of free storage and jump to 50GB paid storage at $10/moth. Dropbox’s 50GB will end up costing users $120/year compared to Google’ s$20/year for 80GB. With some quick math, you’ll come to realize that Google’s service will cost you $0.25/GB per year compared to Dropbox’s $2/GB per year.

If you are interested in using Insync, you can sign in with your Google credentials and permit it to gain access to Google Docs. All you have to do then is download and install the client software on your computer. Once installed, you launch, link the Google account to your machine, and you’ll be ready to go. For those of you using the Mac OS X, all of your Google Docs will appear in a Finder window. As of right now, Insync feels very similar to Dropbox, even when you look at its menu bar widget and small status indicators next to files (with other competitors such as Egnyte and Box.com using similar UI conventions for their respective cloud sync tools as well). If you’ve used Dropbox, then you’ll figure out how to use Insync rather quickly.

(Google going after DropBox)

Meizu MX launches today, lines dotted all over China as usual

This time last year we witnessed the Meizu M9 madness in Shenzhen, so we decided to pay our favorite gadget city another visit for the MX launch today (still the 1.4GHz dual-core model, of course). Surprisingly, the lines in Huaqiangbei this time were significantly shorter, but we were told that this was due to tighter security measures as requested by the local authorities -- if you've seen last year's photos you'll know why. Instead, this year the customers are told to line up only when they get a phone call; but a few keen beans still arrived last night, and the first guy in Shenzhen even turned down hotel accommodation offered by Meizu. Yep, that's how you do a "first" properly, folks. Other big cities in China also saw a similar phenomenon, including Beijing, Guangzhou and even Hong Kong -- it's hard to miss the long line formed along the south end of Sai Yeung Choi Street outside the new Mongkok store.

Meizu also informed us that the MX's final hardware benefits from an improved camera (tweaked white balance and the lens now benefits from an oleophobic coating), while the software's been giving many enhancements since our review -- these are mostly the weird default settings we mentioned previously, such as the max clock speed out of the box (now at 1.4GHz instead of 1GHz) and the default video recording resolution (now 1080p instead of the weird 1,080 x 720 setting). Oh, and if you're still rocking the older M9, Meizu has confirmed that it'll also get the Ice Cream Sandwich update later this year, so stay tuned. More in the press release after the break.

3,000.00 CNY = 486.029 CAD

Last edited by E2EK1EL on Sep-25-2012 at 07:20

Old Post Jan-01-2012 09:06  China
Click Here to See the Profile for E2EK1EL Click here to Send E2EK1EL a Private Message Add E2EK1EL to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Prometheus Xex
Still alive.

Saw this today:

quote:

Chad Ramey, a now former Apple Genius from Arizona, has written an open letter to CEO Tim Cook asking him to fix a retail environment that 'no longer values its people'.

-----
Dear Mr. Tim Cook:

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Chad Ramey and I've served this company for the last four years as a Genius at the Apple Arrowhead retail location in Glendale, Arizona (R247).

First of all, I would like to extend my thanks for allowing me the opportunity to work for such a unique company. It was truly one of the most heart-wrenching moments of my life when I had to walk out of that store for the last time; no one likes to abandon their passion, and helping Apple's customers was not only something that I loved to do, but also something that I gave my entire heart and soul doing. It will be difficult to find another company that can elicit such a strong passion and devotion.

With that being said, I find my freedom from Apple to be a double-edged sword. I've watched as Apple retail has shifted from something truly spectacular and wonderful to big-box retail that is no better than a Best Buy or a Walmart. You see, there has been a shift in the focus of these stores. What was once a truly enriching place to work has become a place that leeches and drains everything from their employees. Apple retail no longer values its people and when I say people, I am referring to both your customers and your retail employees serving you on the front-lines. After all, they are your most important resource, your soul, or at least that was once true. Due to the overwhelming number of appointments per employee and the continued push to open more and more active queues, most interactions are now completely transactional, rather than transformational. We are lucky if we have time to ask the customer their name, nevertheless truly get to dig deeply into their lives and their issues, and further repair their relationships with both Apple and the Apple brand. As employees, we are forced to worry more about pushing business leads and reaching numbers, rather than truly focus on the customer's problems. Everything I was led to believe in CORE training four years ago has become nullified; Apple is no longer about enriching lives, it is about enriching pocketbooks.

You may see that my former store, R247, remains to be amongst the top performing stores in NPS, and yet the Family Room NPP continues to plummet. The people we have in that store are amongst the most talented and most devoted in the company. They give everything they have to keep the focus on their customers despite the increasing hurdles that the company keeps throwing at them. They are, however, quickly being burnt out. Apple is treating its retail workforce like they are disposable, and in doing so, Apple is throwing away some of its brightest and most amazing talents. I asked our family room manager point blank if Apple wants its retail employees to be career and he said no. The continuing loss of talented and caring people is fueled by the feeling that they are neither important nor truly cared for. The idea of thinking of employees as people instead of numbers was what used to set Apple apart. This is what has made Apple change.

I know this letter may never reach your eyes, but I would feel as if I'd abandoned my team if I never even tried to make a change. If you truly care about the future of Apple retail, Mr. Cook, you'll return to the foundations on which it was originally based. Create an environment where employees feel wanted and needed. Go back to the days when sales and support were geared toward the customers and not the bottom-line. If you don't, you'll continue to burn through some of the greatest and most talented resources in your workforce.

Apple is supposed to be a leader within the industry. You set the standards. You can make changes and others will follow. Use that position to better the world of retail, not sink to the depths of those around you. Make the change that will affect so many lives.

Sincerely,
Chad Ramey
-----

Old Post Jan-04-2012 17:17  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Prometheus Xex Click here to Send Prometheus Xex a Private Message Visit Prometheus Xex's homepage! Add Prometheus Xex to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Jer
Back By Popular Demand

quote:
Originally posted by Prometheus Xex

As someone who's worked in retail operations management for nearly all of his working life, reading that letter sounded more like sour grapes.

Old Post Jan-04-2012 17:31  England
Click Here to See the Profile for Jer Click here to Send Jer a Private Message Visit Jer's homepage! Add Jer to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Prometheus Xex
Still alive.

quote:

Apple is Reselling NAND Flash Memory to You at Nearly 10x What It Pays

Friday, 6th January 2012, 05:01 pm

This entry needs translation. To help us and submit a translation please click here

Last quarter Apple bought 23% of the world's NAND flash and it's reselling it to customers at nearly 10 times what it paid, reports Bernstein Research's Toni Sacconaghi.

Apple charges customers $100 to upgrade from a 16GB iPhone 4S to the 32GB model. That memory is purchased by Apple at a heavily discounted price of $0.67 per gigabyte or a total of $10.72 for 16GB. That's a big markup.

FORTUNE reports that Sacconaghi's note to clients is entitled "Apple: The NAND Gravy Train". In the note he wonders why Apple's competitors aren't doing the same thing.

Apple earned an estimated $2.2B+ in operating profits in CQ411 – at 78% gross margins – purely from upselling consumers to products with more NAND storage beyond Apple's base configuration models. Moreover, a majority of these profits came from iPhones yet no other handset OEM has emulated this strategy...

Ironically, Apple earns nearly twice as much from reselling NAND than all the NAND suppliers combined, with NAND resale responsible for 20% of Apple's total operating profits last quarter, at an annual run-rate of $10B+.

Old Post Jan-06-2012 20:26  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Prometheus Xex Click here to Send Prometheus Xex a Private Message Visit Prometheus Xex's homepage! Add Prometheus Xex to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
spitty
lady dutch

Hey

I posted this on the apple support forum, but thought i'd try here as well. I just bought my first iphone and i'm lost already. Heres my issue

I live in Holland, and therefore have a dutch phone. I am from Canada so my credit card is canadian. When I try to purchase an app (whats app) it insists I buy it from the Nederlands store, but when I try to pay for it, it won't let me enter my CC info! It puts the country as automatically Nederlands and will not let me change it to Canada. I cannot buy it from the Canadian iphones because my ID is considered dutch. Please help!

thanks!

Old Post Jan-09-2012 20:14 
Click Here to See the Profile for spitty Click here to Send spitty a Private Message Add spitty to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Prometheus Xex
Still alive.

Ummm... where's E2EK1EL?

Old Post Jan-11-2012 02:47  Canada
GGM
Supreme houseaddict

quote:
Originally posted by spitty
Hey

I posted this on the apple support forum, but thought i'd try here as well. I just bought my first iphone and i'm lost already. Heres my issue

I live in Holland, and therefore have a dutch phone. I am from Canada so my credit card is canadian. When I try to purchase an app (whats app) it insists I buy it from the Nederlands store, but when I try to pay for it, it won't let me enter my CC info! It puts the country as automatically Nederlands and will not let me change it to Canada. I cannot buy it from the Canadian iphones because my ID is considered dutch. Please help!

thanks!

Dunno if this will work but you could try setting up the account with no CC at all, then buy an Apple gift card to purchase any needed apps with.

Old Post Jan-11-2012 16:05  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for GGM Click here to Send GGM a Private Message Add GGM to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
GGM
Supreme houseaddict

quote:
RIM Improves BlackBerry PlayBook With 2.0 Upgrade: Hands-On

RIM's BlackBerry PlayBook 2.0 software update has been a long time in coming; the first we heard about the possibility of support for Android apps was nine months ago. But from my early look, the update was not only worth the wait, but also may be what RIM needs to make its 7-inch PlayBook tablet more competitive and desirable. The free update will come to all PlayBook users in February.

The big news, of course, is the addition of Android app support. Apps have to be tweaked by developers, then approved and added to RIM's App World, but the experience to users is seamless. If RIM gets lots of developers on board with the conversion and keeps apps updated, it could dramatically boost its app selection--long a sore point with the PlayBook.

Android apps looked great on the screen, and behaved the same as native apps in terms of how they looked in the app menu and worked in multitasking. I noticed a little lag opening apps in my demo, but playing games looked great, with smooth graphics even on a 3D app.

A Big Refresh

For starters, RIM has updated the home screen. The favorite icons dock now stays at the top of the apps menu page. RIM joins its iOS and Android competition by allowing you to create folders; just hold down an app icon, drag one app onto another, and change the app name.

The notifications area on the upper left corner of the home screen gets more crowded with e-mail notifications as well as the usual system-level messages. And a new visual shows what updates are coming through a Bridge connection--for example, BlackBerry Messenger content, or calendar invites.

When the PlayBook launched in April last year, its hardware was highly competitive, with a largely appealing, albeit squared-off design. The primary complaints had nothing to do with the hardware; but rather with illogical software omissions (RIM had no email client, and no calendar or contact apps), and a limited native app ecosystem for the QNX-based operating system.

PlayBook 2.0 OS is likely the software that RIM should have launched with. And as frustrating as it's been to wait what feels interminably long for the arrival of e-mail, calendar, and contacts apps--and the long-promised Android support--RIM did a good job bundling these to make for a single, compelling upgrade.

The email app operates similarly to the standard BlackBerry Messenger app. You can combine multiple message sources into a universal inbox, so personal email, work email, and even messages from social sites like Linked In and Twitter (the only two so far). You can choose which accounts you want notifications from; for example, you can select which accounts on your BlackBerry phone should notify you of new messages via Bridge.

In its design, the email app behaves very much like Android's native email app. One differentiator: It makes it very easy to add text formatting to your message; through simple taps or dropdowns, you can change the font and font size, change the text color, indent text, add a bulleted or numbered list, and adjust text alignment.

The software keyboard has been redesigned to add predictive text suggestions, autocorrection, and contextual prediction of your next word. The predictive options meant that the keys had to become more wide than they are tall.

All About Social

The contacts app becomes something of a social hub in RIM's execution. The left pane shows contact information and image; the main pane offers a view of the contact's card, or other information you select from toolbar running along the right-hand side of the screen. As with email, contacts integrate Twitter and LinkedIn to pull in related information.

The toolbar includes options to show: general contact information; work information from that contact's Linked In profile (if they are one of your contacts on that service); social updates from partnered sites (again, limited to Linked In and Twitter for now); company news based on identified company name (which uses the Gist service RIM bought last year); meetings in common, past and present; people you have in common; and places where you've been with a contact. You can only use landscape mode for the contacts app, though.

Cloud syncing means if you make a change to your contacts on PlayBook, it will be made on your phone. And the converse is true, too. Calendar app syncing works similarly. PlayBook 2.0 supports syncing with Gmail, Hotmail, AOL, and Yahoo for calendar and email; as well as with Microsoft Exchange and Lotus Domino.

The calendar app shows week, month, and day views, as well as an expanded Agenda view that shows all related information for a given entry. You can also view people in your meeting, and view their contact info if they're a contact. However, you can't initiate a phone call with a “bridged” BlackBerry by simply tapping on a phone number in the contacts.

One nifty visual: On the monthly calendar, the busier your day is, the larger the date appears relative to other dates on the calendar; this way, at a glance, you can view which days are busiest for you.

More Noteworthy Developments

First, you now get a Video Store, powered by Rovi, for buying and renting TV shows and movies. What's cool is that since it's powered by Rovi, you can use your content on other devices that support Roxio Now.

The calendar highlights busy days in big, bold letters.
That means you can output video to your TV at 1080p via HDMI, and use the BlackBerry Bridge remote control, new in Bridge 2.0, to turn your touchscreen BlackBerry phone into a keyboard and mouse for navigating the PlayBook.

Docs to Go has improved functionality, including PowerPoint editing, enhanced formula support, and the capability to embed images. These features will be unique to the PlayBook, at least for now. You can also send content such as Web pages, photos, emails, and documents from your phone to the BlackBerry via Bridge. Wirelessly turn content on your PC into a PDF viewable on the PlayBook using the Print to Go app. The print driver communicates with the PlayBook using BlackBerry ID, then prints and sends the document as a PDF.

The BlackBerry 2.0 update looks like its teeming with potential--if it works as smoothly in practice as in the demo. Given the current promotional pricing on the PlayBook, the tablet may actually go from being a fancy brick to a viable tablet option. The BlackBerry Bridge 2.0 client and BlackBerry PlayBook2.0 OS update are both due in February. The client works on BB OS 5.0 and higher, and works with any touchscreen BlackBerry.

link

Still laughing at that "insider report" claiming they couldn't get email and whatnot to work on QNX...

Old Post Jan-11-2012 16:11  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for GGM Click here to Send GGM a Private Message Add GGM to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
PurpleHaze
Supreme tranceaddict

i just bought an iphone 4 and jailbroke it on ios 5.0.1 but noticed a lot of themes don't want to download in cydia or work after selecting in winterboard and re-springing...is this because most themes aren't compatible with ios 5.0.1?

also, i just downloaded spire and enabled siri but i'm looking for a free proxy host/server to run siri but can't seem to find one yet...apparently there really isn't any free proxy servers. in that case, does anyone know how i can make one?

loving the 4 so far!! so sleek!!

Old Post Jan-12-2012 17:01  Romania
Click Here to See the Profile for PurpleHaze Click Here to Email PurpleHaze Click here to Send PurpleHaze a Private Message Add PurpleHaze to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Prometheus Xex
Still alive.

quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze
i just bought an iphone 4 and jailbroke it on ios 5.0.1 but noticed a lot of themes don't want to download in cydia or work after selecting in winterboard and re-springing...is this because most themes aren't compatible with ios 5.0.1?

also, i just downloaded spire and enabled siri but i'm looking for a free proxy host/server to run siri but can't seem to find one yet...apparently there really isn't any free proxy servers. in that case, does anyone know how i can make one?

loving the 4 so far!! so sleek!!

What pisses me off the most is the fact that Apple won't make Siri available to at least the IP4 users, when it clearly works on that device !!!!

Old Post Jan-12-2012 21:41  Canada
LightsOut
Antagonist

...what a bunch of idiots...

• Ambivalent - R U OK (Kasper is OK Mix)
  • Do Santos - Menina
  • Heartthrob - Baby Kate (Magda's "Where Is My Baby's Daddy" Mix)
  • Danton Eeprom - To The Bone (Jamie Jones Deep Sea Dub Mix)
  • Matt Nordstrom - Lucky Drawls (Mark Brooms No Rave Stab Mix)

Old Post Jan-13-2012 17:59  Germany
Click Here to See the Profile for LightsOut Click here to Send LightsOut a Private Message Add LightsOut to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
urban_legend
Original Hammer Crew

An unintended consequence of switching from BlackBerry to iPhone

I am fond of saying there is no perfect Smartphone; there is only the Smartphone that is perfect for you. Whether your beloved device runs Android; BlackBerry; iOS; webOS; or Windows Phone, we're all just part of the larger Mobile Nations family (do you like how I worked that in there?).

Still, when a story like this comes along, I can't help but feel a little sympathy for our iPhone brethren. Last Tuesday, Mahler's Symphony No. 9 came to a halt at the New York Philharmonic after a new iPhone user had trouble silencing his phone's alarm. Sitting in the front row, the patron's iPhone Marimba ring was easily heard by the conductor, Alan Gilbert, who actually stopped the performance until the ring was silenced.

The iPhone's owner, a long-time subscriber to the orchestra, made sure to silence his phone before the concert - as we all should do before movies, concerts, shows, and other such events - but an alarm set on his Smartphone sounded anyway. The day before the concert, the man's company had switched from BlackBerry to iPhone, and the poor gentleman had not yet become familiar with his new device. He didn't know his phone's alarm was set; when it sounded, he had trouble figuring out how to make it stop.

On Thursday, he had a chance to apologize by phone to the conductor who graciously accepted the apology. Like the iPhone, selecting the "All Alerts Off" or "Silent" sound profile on a BlackBerry effectively silences any and all alert sounds on the Smartphone - except for the daily alarm. Silencing that alarm seems to be a bit easier on a BlackBerry than on an iPhone, though, as pressing just about any button on the RIM device will cancel that sound. Methinks the unfortunate iPhone user at the symphony found things a bit more complicated when his iDevice stopped the show.

Source: New York Times via iMore Image: WSJ

LINK

Old Post Jan-15-2012 20:52  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for urban_legend Click here to Send urban_legend a Private Message Add urban_legend to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

tranceaddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Canada > Canada - Toronto & Southern Ont. > TOTA - APPLE iPHONE & iPAD & Mobile News Thread PT2
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread