Become a part of the TranceAddict community! Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
tranceaddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > New Orbital Album 'Wonky'
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
leebates1986
Liveset Addict

New Orbital Album 'Wonky'

quote:

Orbital’s 8th album entitled “Wonky” will be released on the 1st April 2011.

Full track listing including timings are shown below:-

1). One Big Moment (6.16)
2). Straight Sun (5.28)
3). Never (4.43)
4). New France featuring Zola Jesus (4.47)
5). Distractions (7.04)
6). Stringy Acid (5.19)
7). Beelzedub (4.54)
8). Wonky featuring Lady Leshurr (6.13)
9). Where Is It Going? (5.50)

Wonky was recorded in a small studio in Orbital’s Brighton home base, then mixed in London with help from internationally acclaimed producer Mark “Flood” Ellis, whose stellar list of previous collaborators includes PJ Harvey, U2, Nine Inch Nails and The Killers. Paul credits Flood with giving the album a more rounded, holistic sound.

“I mostly remember Flood from all the electronic stuff like Cabaret Voltaire, Depeche Mode and Renegade Soundwave,” Paul says. “One of his first and greatest loves is electronic music. He’s actually got a bigger synthesizer collection than us. He also has a good structural overview of music, because he’s not just a dance producer, he comes from a more holistic song viewpoint, which is how we like to approach it. I didn’t want to work with just a dance producer because I don’t think this is a dance album, it’s an electronic album.”

A series of Dj Sets allowed Orbital to road test the new tracks and see what the crowd reactions were like. “That was really beneficial to our writing,” Phil says. “Trying out tracks in front of audiences, listening through their ears, getting responses. That’s been a really good string to our bow.”

Probably one of the most talked about elements from the New Album video diaries, was the emotional and musical road map drawn on the white board. This was covered with little post-it notes, which on some occasions were torn off and discarded during the video diary. As Paul described, “The whole process of this album has really been a case of the book writing itself”.

As usual, the fans and media are always asking if this will be the last album from Orbital. We have been here before of course,but Phil sums up his thoughts on the matter.

“For me these feel like the most enjoyable Orbital times that we’ve ever had. I’s just getting better and better. It feels like a new beginning.”

source

quote:
Originally posted by Demoted
Audrey Gallagher sounds like a hive of pissed off vacuum cleaners.

quote:
Originally posted by ChemEnhanced
The only thing worse then Second Sun is the sound of a dying baby

Old Post Jan-23-2012 22:45  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for leebates1986 Click here to Send leebates1986 a Private Message Add leebates1986 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
Ambient Produce Unit

Haven't liked any of their new material since they've reformed. I have very low expectations for this album. And I say all of this as a massive, massive Orbital fan.

> BMC DJ Competition [Drum & Bass]
> Human Revolution [Theme Challenge Mix]
> Somnamdublism [Dub Techno]

>>Absorb. [Fortnightly Radio Show]<<

Absorb.

Old Post Jan-24-2012 06:29  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Sykonee
Supreme EMCritic

quote:
7). Beelzedub (4.54)

Obligatory dubstep track, amirite?

(~)

Old Post Jan-24-2012 06:59  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Sykonee Click here to Send Sykonee a Private Message Visit Sykonee's homepage! Add Sykonee to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
enydo
~

Hmmm, Zola Jesus eh? I'll listen, but as with Jack, I'm not expecting much of anything.

Old Post Jan-24-2012 07:03 
Click Here to See the Profile for enydo Click here to Send enydo a Private Message Add enydo to your buddy list enydo is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
netroM

"Never":

Old Post Jan-24-2012 11:45  Norway
Click Here to See the Profile for netroM Click here to Send netroM a Private Message Add netroM to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Acton
VANDIT Knight

http://www.tranceaddict.com/forums/...w+orbital+album

>>> Beatport Stuff <<<

Old Post Jan-24-2012 12:13  England
Click Here to See the Profile for Acton Click Here to Email Acton Click here to Send Acton a Private Message Visit Acton's homepage! Add Acton to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
narcism
faithless fangirl

I have high expectations

Old Post Jan-25-2012 01:11  Malta
Click Here to See the Profile for narcism Click here to Send narcism a Private Message Visit narcism's homepage! Add narcism to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Orko
Digital Hippie

quote:
Originally posted by netroM
"Never":

I liked that. Looking forward to the new album.

I wasn't "itching" for a new Orbital album, but I will certainly welcome one.

Old Post Jan-26-2012 18:12  India
Click Here to See the Profile for Orko Click here to Send Orko a Private Message Add Orko to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
freakster
Supreme tranceaddict

hoping for the best on this one

Old Post Jan-27-2012 20:12  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for freakster Click here to Send freakster a Private Message Add freakster to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Sand Leaper
Kein Fan davon

"New France" is available for streaming now as well: http://www.pitchfork.com/news/45304...-jesus-team-up/

The very synth poppy approach and rather simple melodies will probably be tough to swallow for those who have followed Orbital for a long time. Personally, however, I'm such a sucker for instantly catchy tunes like these, so I quite like it. I also like how the vocals are fairly restrained, and used more as an additional layer rather than having the track structured around them.

Linear Percussive Progression

Old Post Feb-02-2012 16:01  Norway
Click Here to See the Profile for Sand Leaper Click here to Send Sand Leaper a Private Message Add Sand Leaper to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
netroM

was just about to post that. Catchy indeed. Doesn't remind me of Orbital as much as M83 tho.

Old Post Feb-03-2012 13:18  Norway
Click Here to See the Profile for netroM Click here to Send netroM a Private Message Add netroM to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Acton
VANDIT Knight

Very nice!

>>> Beatport Stuff <<<

Old Post Feb-03-2012 16:14  England
Click Here to See the Profile for Acton Click Here to Email Acton Click here to Send Acton a Private Message Visit Acton's homepage! Add Acton to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

tranceaddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > New Orbital Album 'Wonky'
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread