Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > Anyone here learned a new language in their 20s or later?
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Vector A
Your petrochemical arms

Anyone here learned a new language in their 20s or later?

Is it worth the effort?

Old Post Jan-29-2012 03:03  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Vector A Click here to Send Vector A a Private Message Add Vector A to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Omega_Blue
Someone Changed My Custom

anything is worth the effort if you want it bad enough. and the idea that once you hit 20 your brain stops learning shit is a misconception. if you work at it, you can still learn and become successful in foreign languages or really whatever.

tl,dr; it's worth it if you're motivated and willing to put the time into learning it.

Old Post Jan-29-2012 03:06  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Omega_Blue Click here to Send Omega_Blue a Private Message Add Omega_Blue to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Vector A
Your petrochemical arms

Yeah, you can still learn stuff for sure. But the generally accepted idea seems to be that if you start learning a second language later than your teens you will always kind of suck at it.

Old Post Jan-29-2012 03:15  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Vector A Click here to Send Vector A a Private Message Add Vector A to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lira
Ancient BassAddict

Re: Anyone here learned a new language in their 20s or later?

quote:
Originally posted by Vector A
Is it worth the effort?

Yes. I started to study Japanese a few months after I turned 20 - it was well worth it, and I did way better than quite a few younger classmates.

Old Post Jan-29-2012 05:32  Brazil
Click Here to See the Profile for Lira Click here to Send Lira a Private Message Visit Lira's homepage! Add Lira to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
EgosXII
Aphorism

Its probably harder because you're so set in your current language, but as others have said; it really just depends how much you want it. Honestly it probably is harder the older you get, but that doesn't mean it can't be done at all. Do it JBJ!

I doubt that that much stuff is hard for you JBJ (compared to most people at least), no reason a language would be any different.

Old Post Jan-29-2012 05:56  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for EgosXII Click here to Send EgosXII a Private Message Add EgosXII to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Ygrene
Dr. Stinkburger Deluxe

THE LANGUAGE OF LOVE

HI THERE!

Old Post Jan-29-2012 05:58  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Ygrene Click here to Send Ygrene a Private Message Add Ygrene to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Sushipunk
Flickering, I roam

I never learned another language, save for a few swear words I picked up in my travels, but my mum started learning French in her 40s, and could speak it pretty fluently in about 5 years or so.

Old Post Jan-29-2012 06:05  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for Sushipunk Click here to Send Sushipunk a Private Message Visit Sushipunk's homepage! Add Sushipunk to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Omega_Blue
Someone Changed My Custom

quote:
Originally posted by Vector A
Yeah, you can still learn stuff for sure. But the generally accepted idea seems to be that if you start learning a second language later than your teens you will always kind of suck at it.

i disagree. how do you think so many people who are multilingual (as in, 3 or more languages) or are professional translators, actors, or, i dunno, MI:6 spies become so fluent in so many languages? i doubt too many of them had the opportunity to learn french spanish english and german all at once during their pre-k to middle school years.. i think it's maybe about your motivation and drive has different meaning and priorities as an adult than as a kid. as a kid you've got all the time in the world to really crack the books, as an adult you have responsibilities, typically, that keep you from being able to devote too much of your time to learning whatever.

really, imo, once you learn the syntax of a language, how you become fluent is by memorizing vocabulary. that tends to fade if you don't use it often in real-world situations (or in class interacting with others).

Old Post Jan-29-2012 09:30  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Omega_Blue Click here to Send Omega_Blue a Private Message Add Omega_Blue to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Vernon Wanderer
Eye Q'ed

quote:
Originally posted by Omega_Blue
that tends to fade if you don't use it often in real-world situations (or in class interacting with others).

Or internet forums. Really helps a lot.

Vernon Wanderer will rediscover his roots back unto wandering vast endless plains miserably....

Old Post Jan-29-2012 10:05 
Click Here to See the Profile for Vernon Wanderer Click here to Send Vernon Wanderer a Private Message Add Vernon Wanderer to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Acton
Like a FCKNG BIRD

I'll be learning to speak French very soon. I studied it in high school, so I know the basics, but I still feel like it's going to be a challenge for me.

>>> Beatport Stuff <<<

Old Post Jan-29-2012 10:28  England
Click Here to See the Profile for Acton Click here to Send Acton a Private Message Visit Acton's homepage! Add Acton to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Chimney
Low pH

I wanna study at least another two languages some day. Japanese, French are most likely. I'm 21´.

Old Post Jan-29-2012 10:42  Sweden
Click Here to See the Profile for Chimney Click here to Send Chimney a Private Message Add Chimney to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
VAR
Suspended User

you can easily learn another language and i highly recommend it.
knowing the primary language of the area that you are operating in is essential.
i would start with the basic phrases first though, as they are critical;
beer please
where's the bathroom?
let's have sex
how much is the fine?

Old Post Jan-29-2012 11:59  Sweden
Click Here to See the Profile for VAR Click here to Send VAR a Private Message Visit VAR's homepage! Add VAR to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > Anyone here learned a new language in their 20s or later?
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (5): [1] 2 3 4 5 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackHELP ID this track with FEMALE making ARABIAN Sounds?????????? [2002] [2]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackMarcos - "Cosmic String" [2005]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread