Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
tranceaddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth > Why do Dj's Turn Knobs During Songs??? Is It Just To Make Them Look Busy???
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
MIKE333ACE
Supreme tranceaddict

Dunno Why do Dj's Turn Knobs During Songs??? Is It Just To Make Them Look Busy???

Just a simple question that I want to ask because I am soing my first ever Dj gig this weekend. I simply want to know what on earth Dj's are doing when they turn knobs during the middle of a song, because I dont notice any change. Is it just to make them look busy or are they actually doing something.

Any help on this would be great, also, if anyone can give me a few handy tips for me for Dj'ing, that would be great,

Cheers

MH

Old Post Apr-01-2012 23:27  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for MIKE333ACE Click Here to Email MIKE333ACE Click here to Send MIKE333ACE a Private Message Visit MIKE333ACE's homepage! Add MIKE333ACE to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Rodri Santos
Supreme tranceaddict

99% of the times they are doing nothing but looking fancy during the song but maybe they are setting the eqs of another channel, checking if all the eqs are in the position their wish, adding some colour to a build up... there are several indicators that show you how good is a dj without listening to their set and this is the kind of thing that is lame.

My New Set Peak Time Club Techno

Beatport Top 10 Chart April

Old Post Apr-01-2012 23:50  Spain
Click Here to See the Profile for Rodri Santos Click here to Send Rodri Santos a Private Message Add Rodri Santos to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Juan Paulino
Come Away O Human Child

are you serious?

Juan Paulino - Quantum Break (Original Mix) [Progressive Breaks]

Old Post Apr-02-2012 01:55  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Juan Paulino Click here to Send Juan Paulino a Private Message Visit Juan Paulino's homepage! Add Juan Paulino to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Fledz
Lost & Found

There is no standard in mixing and mastering. Not only are levels generally all over the shop, but an adjustment to EQ often helps. So, I find that the gain knob often isn't enough and therefore also use the EQs to give the track a slight nudge and make it sit better with the previous track.

Old Post Apr-02-2012 07:44  Croatia
Click Here to See the Profile for Fledz Click here to Send Fledz a Private Message Add Fledz to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
rozella99
tranceaddict in training

There are several indicators that show you how good is a dj without listening to their set and this is the kind of thing that is lame.

Old Post Apr-02-2012 09:36  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for rozella99 Click here to Send rozella99 a Private Message Add rozella99 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Targus28
tranceaddict

Because a lot of them are pretentious ****s

Old Post Apr-02-2012 14:16  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for Targus28 Click here to Send Targus28 a Private Message Add Targus28 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
itsamemario
Italian Plumber

I think the reason they are turning the knobs is because the knobs on the mixer/controller is set up to control various parameters that modulate the sound in different way depending on which knob they are turning.

Old Post Apr-03-2012 02:40 
Click Here to See the Profile for itsamemario Click Here to Email itsamemario Click here to Send itsamemario a Private Message Visit itsamemario's homepage! Add itsamemario to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
ZeeRobot1
(@_@)

There is a difference between adjusting EQ's and twisting those EFX like a school yard bully giving a titty twisters. Tryingtolookliketheyknowwhattheyaredoingbuthavenoidea

Old Post Apr-04-2012 01:43 
Click Here to See the Profile for ZeeRobot1 Click here to Send ZeeRobot1 a Private Message Add ZeeRobot1 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Cedric K.
Senior tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by dj_alfi
I think the reason they are turning the knobs is because the knobs on the mixer/controller is set up to control various parameters that modulate the sound in different way depending on which knob they are turning.

HAHA epic!!

Twitter
Vimeo

Old Post Apr-17-2012 22:36  Germany
Click Here to See the Profile for Cedric K. Click here to Send Cedric K. a Private Message Visit Cedric K.'s homepage! Add Cedric K. to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJRYAN™
www.djryan.com

the real answer to this question is you are building up, and breaking down the song via the EQ. If you haven't noticed listening to live sets, very rarely do dj's use effects besides on the ends of phrases, or throughout the build. Customairly one would add an Echo / Delay effect, coupled with bringing up or accenting the high's, mid's or bass parts essentially creating or simulating a greater rise or more pronounced lift to whatever the melody, riser, or noise, is doing. It also assists in creating more tension and exicting a key part of a song even more.

Also, when one is mixing, having two records playing simultaneously, and usually over and a top another track. EQing, or what your referring to as turning knobs, is blending the two tracks together to create a cohesive mix.

If your just starting out, begin with tbe bass. and start turning that "knob" to blend in with the bass of the track your bringing in or mixing out. Whichever you prefer.

Also, you'll notice when tracks are properly phrased, HiHats usually come in on the second phrase after the drop, so with that knowledge, you may want to EQ the highs so that you have only one percussion element sitting prominently within the mix.

Unless, the two rhythms have corresponding steps at which point you'll be able to play both. However, its still fun to stagger, or cut your highs, bass or mid's and introduce them at strategic parts throughout your mix.

Some do this quickly, while others tend to mix slowly. Its really a matter of taste and what genre you spin.

I'd also recommend that you look at the cutoff db's on your mixer. Some mixers like Rane have complete cutoff so that you don't hear the hi/mid/bass frequency at all. There are also mixers out there with cut buttons that simulate a greater reduction in volume of whatever frquency you're trying to reduce and opposingly enhance.

Also, and probably more professional (these days) is filter mixing which is integrated into the Pioneer DJM2000. This approach to mixing completley eliminates the frequency all together with absolutely no db being heard until swept it.

This emans that you can have the kick and the bass of one track playing perfectly with the mids and highs of another track with no audible sounds coming from the frquencies you've swept off.

Very cool and what a lot of the pro's are doing.

Anyways, this is just a mile high overview of what dj's are doing when they're turning knobs.

08.30 - John Digweed
08.30 - DJRYAN
08.31 - Feed Me
09.03 - Zedd
09.14 - Above & Beyond
09.24 - DJRYAN
09.27 - Tomorrowworld

Last edited by DJRYAN™ on Apr-18-2012 at 02:59

Old Post Apr-18-2012 02:43 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJRYAN™ Click here to Send DJRYAN™ a Private Message Visit DJRYAN™'s homepage! Add DJRYAN™ to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Cathleen81
tranceaddict in training

if anyone can give me a few handy tips for me for Dj'ing, that would be great,

Old Post Apr-18-2012 07:20  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Cathleen81 Click here to Send Cathleen81 a Private Message Add Cathleen81 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
EddieZilker
This is the dance.

Thread

Now with extra singles!
my old stuff, not quite up to snuff - but I still dig it - UPDATED 9/23/2012

Old Post Apr-20-2012 04:33  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for EddieZilker Click here to Send EddieZilker a Private Message Visit EddieZilker's homepage! Add EddieZilker to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

tranceaddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth > Why do Dj's Turn Knobs During Songs??? Is It Just To Make Them Look Busy???
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread