Become a part of the TranceAddict community! Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
tranceaddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > how many of us are actually trying to make it here?
Pages (5): « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
tehlord
Supreme tranceaddict

Depends what you mean by make it.

I do intend to make money, in fact I already do but just not very much. I intend to make a lot more.

I don't intend to become a household name though.

Old Post Apr-18-2012 09:35  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for tehlord Click here to Send tehlord a Private Message Add tehlord to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
stewart.m
Supreme tranceaddict

it would be nice to see some reward for my efforts i think having the chance to sell your own work knowing people will buy it is a great thing.
but it is a hobby so i dont want to ruin that fun side of it.

Old Post Apr-18-2012 10:20  England
Click Here to See the Profile for stewart.m Click here to Send stewart.m a Private Message Add stewart.m to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Richard Butler
Supreme tranceaddict

I have a steely determination to produce top draw stuff but as yet have not produced anything I am proud of, and maybe I never will, but none the less I'm not a quitter and it is my certain ambition to be able to produce a track (s) that at last could be 'considered up there' and one day say to my kids you can achieve something if you put your mind to it. Monetary rewards from music would be nice but I have resigned to think that would be a bonus rather than something to aim for.

In the meantime I run my own business and earn a good living and that was dream number 1 from as early as I can recall. I cannot deal with being bossed about, it's just not in my DNA.

The core of my musical world view is that there are a zillion people out there producing, so somehow being able to develop that elixir of originality combined with top draw production values would be pretty neat.

Incredibly hard to be original in an ocean of talent.

Old Post Apr-18-2012 12:43  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Butler Click here to Send Richard Butler a Private Message Add Richard Butler to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
shadowsthatmove
Junior tranceaddict

I love djing and if i honest i started producing just because i wanted to get more gigs. While doing that i got the bug for production and now im addicted to it aswell. I'll always be a dj before i a producer but i cant imagine anything better than making a living from music.

Everyone has there dream job and this is mine. Im only 21 and my only commitments are to music. So over the next few years i want to push myself as far as i can go. Id rather pursue my dreams and fail than regret never try it all.

Old Post Apr-18-2012 14:51  Ireland
Click Here to See the Profile for shadowsthatmove Click here to Send shadowsthatmove a Private Message Visit shadowsthatmove's homepage! Add shadowsthatmove to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Raphie
Mr. Incredible

Don't want to DJ, don't really like writing on high pace anymore either
being 41, im happy with engineering, mixing and mastering jobs and i'm lucky to have a decent amount of those. Not enough to quit my other job, but enough to pay taxes, which i deduct by buying new gear

I'm too old and not good enough to be top dog within the the current vibes. don't like the hyped up brostep, electro type dubstep shite, or dutch house crap.

so, that leaves me making old farts trance/techno and moving slowly into more ambient styles.

And working for and with others keeps me sane, and keeps the pressure of for the need to find that ROI on all those investments.
so living the life, enjoying the ride, not having a set destination.

Old Post Apr-18-2012 15:33  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Raphie Click here to Send Raphie a Private Message Visit Raphie's homepage! Add Raphie to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Trancelover03591
Trained tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Raphie
Don't want to DJ, don't really like writing on high pace anymore either
being 41, im happy with engineering, mixing and mastering jobs and i'm lucky to have a decent amount of those. Not enough to quit my other job, but enough to pay taxes, which i deduct by buying new gear

Judging from your set up you look like you earn a very good living

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Butler

In the meantime I run my own business and earn a good living and that was dream number 1 from as early as I can recall. I cannot deal with being bossed about, it's just not in my DNA.

Awesome. I have tons of respect for people who earn a living with their own business. I started one myself about a year ago and so far can only buy a cup of coffee a day on it :P

I don't mean to sound like a suck up but I really like your music and hope you make it!

Old Post Apr-18-2012 17:01  Germany
Click Here to See the Profile for Trancelover03591 Click here to Send Trancelover03591 a Private Message Add Trancelover03591 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
shadowsthatmove
Junior tranceaddict

I remember hearing that sean tyas, joc and sniejder were all here at one point, so maybe if you want to "make it" this is the place to be lol.

Old Post Apr-18-2012 17:25  Ireland
Click Here to See the Profile for shadowsthatmove Click here to Send shadowsthatmove a Private Message Visit shadowsthatmove's homepage! Add shadowsthatmove to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
cryophonik
Lunik Fanatik

quote:
Originally posted by shadowsthatmove
I remember hearing that sean tyas, joc and sniejder were all here at one point, so maybe if you want to "make it" this is the place to be lol.

Don't forget Deadmau5 - he still hangs around on occasion.

Sonar X3 | Pro Tools 11 | Logic Pro X | Access Virus TI2 Keyboard | Kurzweil PC3X | DSI Mopho X4 | NI Maschine

Old Post Apr-18-2012 17:33  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for cryophonik Click here to Send cryophonik a Private Message Visit cryophonik's homepage! Add cryophonik to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Magnus
I'm getting old

quote:
Originally posted by DJ RANN
I'm not chasing it. If it happens though some bizarre twist of timing, fate and my dashing good looks, then great, otherwise, I'm honestly not fussed.

My situation is a little different though - I made it to the very top in my chosen field (engineering) - actually further than I thought I ever would - and when i got there, I did it for a few years then realised I really didn't want it - at least not that life, and not as something my livelihood and bank balance depended on. I'm happy for it to be a passionate hobby rather than a career.

I am kind of in a similar boat. If it happens, it happens, but my plan B is my day job working for Microsoft, which provides a great life for me, so I feel no pressure one way or the other. I see so many people betting it all on their music which is a huge mistake.

Latest stuff:
Magnus - 2014 Releases - preview video
Artist album - Magnus - Signal Strength

Old Post Apr-18-2012 17:41 
Click Here to See the Profile for Magnus Click Here to Email Magnus Click here to Send Magnus a Private Message Visit Magnus's homepage! Add Magnus to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Nicolas Oliver
Supreme tranceaddict

I'm chasing this dream as best as I can given my economic and medical circumstances. I would indeed like to DJ/produce as a career. If, though, this doesn't work out then I have a plan B (i.e., two university degrees) on which to fall back.

Old Post Apr-19-2012 01:06 
Click Here to See the Profile for Nicolas Oliver Click here to Send Nicolas Oliver a Private Message Add Nicolas Oliver to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
chris marsh
Supreme tranceaddict

I wanted to work in music when i was younger - worked for a drum and bass record label and then did work experience at a studio. i spent more time answering the phone than in the studio and in the end not being able to pay the rent won. My tracks back then were massively lacking - in fact i never really finished anything.

Now i at least have the discipline to learn all the stuff you need to learn, and the resources for learning are much better - ive got my day job as a fireman which is good - but realized i cant shake the love of music/production off.

In the future id be hugely happy to have the occasional release on a reasonably credible label that would be more than enough for me. Im happy to have finally found a style(prog/trance)that i want to do and has everything i want - but have much to learn before reaching the kind of level i would like to reach quality wise.

Never expect to make any money. If i can get my skills to the correct level i want to start production tutorials for beginners - this way i might earn a bit of cash as i think there's a good market here in London

http://soundcloud.com/chris-m-2

Last edited by chris marsh on Apr-19-2012 at 09:40

Old Post Apr-19-2012 09:01  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for chris marsh Click here to Send chris marsh a Private Message Add chris marsh to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Akira_Kayosa
Senior tranceaddict

the main thing is you have to enjoy doing it, more than that you have to love doing it, (for most this is the reason why you begin on the road right?)

the rabbit hole is deep and many twists and turns lay in wait..

being signed to the biggest labels within your given field still does not guarantee gigs and certainly no steady stream of income off the records sales (presuming you hit anything over 500 even on the big labels- good ole zippyshare)

talent alone today isn't quite enough, you need solid branding,something hugely marketable and money, either backing from yourself or some 3rd party interest that's going to invest in you (some labels still do this, only some)backing yourself is great but you have to be realistic and very very honest with yourself, how much money and time are you willing to throw at this dream/goal??

being you are making enough noise to step away from the 9-5 and concentrate on making the records and spinning the gigs full time, that's great if it happens, if you make the step too early and the pressure is on, these things come into play quite heavily, A, make sure your agent is finding the gigs consistently, B, you or your engineer needs to be pushing out tunes steadily all year round neither of which could even be covering standard living costs

the passion & love will soon stand in a different light when it comes to making sure you have food on the table and can just plain get by in your life each day..

this all probably reads really negatively lol, i dont mean it to be, and I'm certainly not, i love what i do, with all the people involved and the scene for all its good parts and the side cart of shit, Ive not even considered moving away from my day job, my schedule is bonkers juggling that and a full time studio schedule too, along with gigs and my radio show.

its a shame these days there isn't much money in all areas of the industry, even respected 'big' names are looking over their shoulders wondering where the next gig is coming from. kinda says it all right?

AK

www.soundcloud.com/akira-kayosa
www.mixcloud.com/AkiraKayosa
www.myspace.com/akirakayosa

Old Post Apr-19-2012 12:07  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for Akira_Kayosa Click here to Send Akira_Kayosa a Private Message Visit Akira_Kayosa's homepage! Add Akira_Kayosa to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

tranceaddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > how many of us are actually trying to make it here?
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (5): « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread