Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
tranceaddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > how many of us are actually trying to make it here?
Pages (5): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Fledz
Lost & Found

I do it for fun and if something happens awesome, if it doesn't then whatever.

I'm just such a lazy bastard so never finish tracks and plan to record mixes and get gigs but just choose to do something else

Old Post Apr-19-2012 12:43  Croatia
Click Here to See the Profile for Fledz Click here to Send Fledz a Private Message Add Fledz to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Richard Butler
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Akira_Kayosa

its a shame these days there isn't much money in all areas of the industry, even respected 'big' names are looking over their shoulders

I was thinking this sorta mirrors whats been happening in the wider world, for example once UK high streets were all individual but now most are populated by the same old big chains, so most market participants are squeezed out.

Old Post Apr-19-2012 14:22  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Butler Click here to Send Richard Butler a Private Message Add Richard Butler to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
cryophonik
Lunik Fanatik

If I was trying to make it, I sure as hell wouldn't be trying to do it in an underground niche market (in the US, at least) as trance. I'd be setting my sights on something mainstream with wide appeal, a bigger audience, and a better chance of surviving longer than 15 minutes.

Also, as the father of a 4-yo, I've noticed that music for kids seems to be a big money maker. Maybe the next TA collab should be a kid's CD?

Sonar X3 | Pro Tools 11 | Logic Pro X | Access Virus TI2 Keyboard | Kurzweil PC3X | DSI Mopho X4 | NI Maschine

Old Post Apr-19-2012 16:19  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for cryophonik Click here to Send cryophonik a Private Message Visit cryophonik's homepage! Add cryophonik to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
J.L.
Never gonna give you up.

Dubstep + kids = profit

Old Post Apr-19-2012 17:02 
Click Here to See the Profile for J.L. Click here to Send J.L. a Private Message Add J.L. to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Raphie
Mr. Incredible

kids music = trance with amicable vocals

Old Post Apr-19-2012 17:09  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Raphie Click here to Send Raphie a Private Message Visit Raphie's homepage! Add Raphie to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
cryophonik
Lunik Fanatik

quote:
Originally posted by Trancelover03591
My one experience doesn't amount to much I know, but it makes sense.

Yeah, that does make sense, actually.

OT, but just out of curiosity, what types of books do you write?

edit: hey, where did your post go?!

Sonar X3 | Pro Tools 11 | Logic Pro X | Access Virus TI2 Keyboard | Kurzweil PC3X | DSI Mopho X4 | NI Maschine

Old Post Apr-19-2012 18:09  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for cryophonik Click here to Send cryophonik a Private Message Visit cryophonik's homepage! Add cryophonik to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Trancelover03591
Trained tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by cryophonik
Yeah, that does make sense, actually.

OT, but just out of curiosity, what types of books do you write?

edit: hey, where did your post go?!

Sorry! I felt like I got too in depth about it and deleted it.

Quicker synopsis: I wrote two books last year, one for a niche market a second for a broad audience. The niche market book did far better.

I intend on writing mainly non-fiction research books on subjects I am interested in, poetry volumes and 1 or 2 fiction novels.

Old Post Apr-19-2012 18:18  Germany
Click Here to See the Profile for Trancelover03591 Click here to Send Trancelover03591 a Private Message Add Trancelover03591 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
cryophonik
Lunik Fanatik

quote:
Sorry! I felt like I got too in depth about it and deleted it.

I thought it was pretty relevant, actually. Even though I don't think your post had directly addressed it, it certainly alluded to the notion that there are pros and cons of trying to make it big in a mainstream market (e.g., pop, rock, country) where the competition is fierce and the payoff can be huge, versus making it in a smaller niche market, where there is presumably less competition and a higher chance of success, but also a smaller payoff.

Old Post Apr-19-2012 18:27  United States
tehlord
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
The niche market book did far better.

lol@irony

Old Post Apr-19-2012 19:02  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for tehlord Click here to Send tehlord a Private Message Add tehlord to your buddy list tehlord is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Evolve140
Only Sidechaining a Bit

I am, but I'm not disillusioned or seeking fame. I love music. I'm really open to feedback and have about 10 years of experience now, I've learned many, many things and you can't push or force anything. Several really greats friends in the industry, a few who took me under their wing, I was lucky in that regard. I don't keep up with each of them these days but there is still mutual respect.

I'm happy, making music is my favorite thing to do and I'm getting consistently better and that hasn't changed, and I'm not going to plateau anytime soon. Things are looking great. I got into this music at a time when it was shunned in the mainstream at a time when I absolutely adored it, and now the superficiality of our culture has, ironically, latched onto something it once mocked. I feel like I deserve something for that. Who knows. Maybe I'll see a shrink some day soon.

This year is actually looking very, very good. Although, my musical sensibilities have continued to burrow into the underground, so I'm not sure how feasible "making it" is, plus I'm not really sure how you define "making it". Some underground producers are so much better at writing dance music songs than these mainstreams goons, it's unfathomable. There is some amazing shit out there. I will say that when I started at 14 I would have never imagined I'd be where I am now, and probably wouldn't have believed you if you told me then. One interesting tidbit is I always thought being good and producing would make me happy, but life still happens, and life is still life.

Ultimately I want to make people happy with my music, and some of the best experiences I've had in my life have been in club land, you know those indescribable moments where the vibe is just so real and the party is amazing... I've been making music for personal satisfaction, I love hearing great music. If I'm making stuff that I enjoy, then I'm doing something right. And lately, I've been making stuff that I really like. Did it take a little longer than I would have liked? I guess so. But I'm fucking ready to rock. Thanks for the question, cheers.

Old Post Apr-21-2012 09:34  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Evolve140 Click here to Send Evolve140 a Private Message Add Evolve140 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Storyteller
Supreme tracneaddict

quote:
Originally posted by J.L.

Dubstep + kids = profit

That advertisement is so epic. Love Mord Fustangs music.

Storyteller Website | Storyteller @ Facebook | Storyteller @ Beatport | Storyteller @ Soundcloud | Storyteller @ Twitter
Stephen J. Kroos - Europa (Storyteller Remix) OUT NOW (support by Above & Beyond & more)!
Anthony Mea - Get It On (Storyteller Remix) OUT NOW!

quote:
If less is more think about how much more more would be.
-Frasier

Old Post Apr-21-2012 10:54  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Storyteller Click here to Send Storyteller a Private Message Visit Storyteller's homepage! Add Storyteller to your buddy list Storyteller is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Storyteller
Supreme tracneaddict

quote:
Originally posted by tehlord
lol@irony

One should read the book "Free" by Chris Anderson. Niche markets thrive on the internet more than ever. It's the mainstream that's getting harder and harder to get into as everything is falling into niche markets that suit personal needs way better than the mainstream channels. So even though it might seem ironic at first, it is not

Storyteller Website | Storyteller @ Facebook | Storyteller @ Beatport | Storyteller @ Soundcloud | Storyteller @ Twitter
Stephen J. Kroos - Europa (Storyteller Remix) OUT NOW (support by Above & Beyond & more)!
Anthony Mea - Get It On (Storyteller Remix) OUT NOW!

quote:
If less is more think about how much more more would be.
-Frasier

Old Post Apr-21-2012 10:58  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Storyteller Click here to Send Storyteller a Private Message Visit Storyteller's homepage! Add Storyteller to your buddy list Storyteller is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

tranceaddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > how many of us are actually trying to make it here?
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (5): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread