Become a part of the TranceAddict community! Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
tranceaddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Canada > Canada - Toronto & Southern Ont. > Review John "GOD" Digweed
Pages (7): « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Knox
Supreme tranceaddict

Relentless heavy punch in the face ass wooping.

John Digweed is a master. He grabbed me and dragged me around the dance floor once again. I love Digweed in the main room.

The visual displays up on the stage were very well done - some really dark trippy stuff that added to the mood of the party so well.

This party was why I love to dance.

Old Post May-14-2012 14:32  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Knox Click here to Send Knox a Private Message Add Knox to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
hardcore trancer
Mystic Mind

Toronto needs more Digweed!!!!

Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/DJMysticMind

Old Post May-14-2012 15:58 
Click Here to See the Profile for hardcore trancer Click here to Send hardcore trancer a Private Message Visit hardcore trancer's homepage! Add hardcore trancer to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Flama Blanca
tranceaddict

he Recorded that set...

If enough people email him at Feedback@johndigweed.com he wil post the set..

Ps the Sound sytem at the Guverment is soo shit... anybody that thinks the system is good needs to go to space in ibiza, circus in montreal or any club in london England and you will see how crap the sound system is... Its def time the Guv spends money on the sound system...

Its time for a funktion one sound system

Old Post May-14-2012 18:11  Venezuela
Click Here to See the Profile for Flama Blanca Click here to Send Flama Blanca a Private Message Add Flama Blanca to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Dior Homme
Hedi Slimane

My review.

While I am not surprised that he killed that room from end to end, he still always amazes me with his programming and mixing. Starting off from his first hour which was an eventual build-up to what was to be a fabulous night. His second hour got me going but at the same time I was worried with this 2.5 hour set. Soon enough after wandering around the room I had realized he was still playing.... into his third hour. By 4am I thought to myself, Mark probably told him to take his time slot and just keep playing. And honestly, for anyone who left after this 2.5 expected time slot, you missed one hell of a complete set. The 3rd and 4th hour were absolutely incredible. At one point when he was going off in his 3rd hour (and you could see this leading up to his final 45mins) it was almost like a big dark cloud of tech and progressive buildups of complete madness swirling around the room and and circling the dj booth, coupled with the amazing lighting job on the back screen. While I looked up to JD all centred in the eye of the storm I had to stop and say to my friend that he is ripping this room to shreds.

Fuck he killed it, and I was very thankful to see him after about a year and a bit ago.... (I missed his time here last year, so I couldnt compare). All in all it was a great time and glad I stayed until he got off around 530 I think it was. There were still a lot of people there by that time, but I had to more in me to go until lights on (it was mothers day after all haha)

His mixing is unparallel. There has been no dj that i have seen in my career of clubbing that has been so consistent and exceptional than him or maybe sasha. although I think JD his it on the money every time and slightly more creative mixing than sasha. as mentioned before saturday night was a night that john showed off how versatile he was at the craft.

Very good night for me, and a well deserving one since I finished school so for me I had almost no complaints.

NOTES
- 2 guys in horrible suits, one looked like the architect from the matrix the other in a similar but white pin stripe on black... wtf
- guy with a light sabre.... how does guv let these guys in?
- chroma - never been in here but it seems whatever liquidation sale circa had, guv purchased along with the reminants from the tron set.
- neon kids, holy shit leave the glowsticks alone....

Old Post May-14-2012 18:30  France
Click Here to See the Profile for Dior Homme Click here to Send Dior Homme a Private Message Visit Dior Homme's homepage! Add Dior Homme to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
farxaad
Senior tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by tintin11
Here's a small clip from last night @ around 3 AM. Excuse the muffled sound as the recorder was in bag and I was too busy absorbing the bass. First time hearing him live, pure bliss.

WELL!....now I feel silly wondering when is he going to be back. I guess this is what the hype was all about lol

Old Post May-14-2012 18:53  Yemen
Click Here to See the Profile for farxaad Click here to Send farxaad a Private Message Add farxaad to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
loopdokter
Senior tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by [dave-Da-rave]
It is, it's J.D.N.M.G.J. - Trezzz
and it just dawned on me today its a collab digweed and muir made with guy j, hence the acronym in the artist name

I thought so. Last tune, disc 2. It still hasn't seen a release on Bedrock as a single, but there's been lots of hype surrounding it. Whenever he plays it seems to get quite the reaction.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/jaykaufman
RA: http://www.residentadvisor.net/dj/jaykaufman
Beatport DJ: http://dj.beatport.com/jaykaufman
Blog: http://www.tumblr.com/blog/jaykaufman

Last edited by loopdokter on May-14-2012 at 19:46

Old Post May-14-2012 19:34  Germany
Click Here to See the Profile for loopdokter Click here to Send loopdokter a Private Message Visit loopdokter's homepage! Add loopdokter to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
jad
_.spark._

quote:
Originally posted by tintin11

Wish I was here for this! First time missing him in 4 years. Oh well.. he'll be back.

Here's the track id for the last track of the recording for those who are interested -> Madben - Your Little Voice (Ian O'Donovan Remix)

quote:
Originally posted by [dave-Da-rave]
It is, it's J.D.N.M.G.J. - Trezzz
and it just dawned on me today its a collab digweed and muir made with guy j, hence the acronym in the artist name

Nice. One hell of a collab there.

Old Post May-14-2012 20:24  Palestine
Click Here to See the Profile for jad Click here to Send jad a Private Message Visit jad's homepage! Add jad to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
chris1011
Beep-Beep-Beep

I'm so glad everyone enjoyed the night too. I was able to have alot of room to dance the entire night... I lost all my friends I came with right at the beginning of his set so I stationed myself right behind the rear gogo-dancer stand. The sound was a tad bass heavy but it was still decent (as-per guv standards) and all the foot traffic traveled behind me so that didn't bother me. It wasn't until 4:00-4:30 I found a few of my friends at the front of the main room and danced with them until I left.

Totally agree with everyone re: his mixing/programming abilities, especially on CDJ's. It's not common you see someone able to pull off the transitions he was on CDJ's. But Digweed is able to do it effectively and consistently. There was this one transition near the end that was just mindblowing... I had to stop dancing, look to my friend with wide-eyes and be like "HOW THE HELL"; stare in disbelief and then get back in the groove.

By far one of the greatest DJ's to ever grace the EDM community.

Click here for recent sets and compilations

Old Post May-14-2012 20:54  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for chris1011 Click here to Send chris1011 a Private Message Add chris1011 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
hardcore trancer
Mystic Mind

quote:
Originally posted by jad

Here's the track id for the last track of the recording for those who are interested -> Madben - Your Little Voice (Ian O'Donovan Remix)

TUNE!!!

Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/DJMysticMind

Old Post May-14-2012 21:24 
Click Here to See the Profile for hardcore trancer Click here to Send hardcore trancer a Private Message Visit hardcore trancer's homepage! Add hardcore trancer to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Knox
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by chris1011

By far one of the greatest DJ's to ever grace the EDM community.

Yes.

Old Post May-14-2012 21:52  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Knox Click here to Send Knox a Private Message Add Knox to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
geroin
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by jad

nice track

Old Post May-14-2012 21:55  Russia
Click Here to See the Profile for geroin Click here to Send geroin a Private Message Add geroin to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Orko
Digital Hippie

Digweed proves that a set is greater than the sum of its parts. Track selection is still king in spinning, but when you can craft out a room like that, wow.

Tini was pretty good; she didn't quite hit the mark of where the main room should have been at 1:30, but over all, good tunage. Forgetable, but good. I was a bit worried about where Tini left off, and where Digweed was going to have to start. I feared we might get grandpa Diggers, who was just going to lul us to sleep. Thankfully I was wrong.

He spent about 30 minutes really warming us up, getting us to where he wanted, then he unleashed. I was completely blown away by the sheer variety in sounds he used. Did somebody say tech-house? Digweed took us back the late 90s on Saturday. Deep, churning, vocal (!) and atmospheric. If you have ever listened to a recording from the late 90s with Digweed, it is very different than the tech-house monster that we know today.

For me, 2-4 was best, peak time, main room, relentless. Instead of sticking to normal, sikly smooth progressive transitions, he changed it up quite a bit. I even heard a break beat, break down once or twice, which was a very pleasant surprise. The crying out vocals, undulating side to side sounds, and diversity helped create real atmosphere. I don't think he is really known for that; it felt like there was a bit of Sasha in him that night.

Around 4am, Digweed started talking to Mark, and it looked like he was going to stay on. He took a washroom break, and indeed he stayed, his work wasn't done.

After 4, the crowd cleared out a little, and Digweed took it in another direction. After pounding us, he slowed it down, took down the energy a bit, but never did it get boring, just less intense. He was clearly working with the energy left in the room, but making sure to provide us direction. Up, and down, up and down, and that's where I left, around 4:45. I would have loved to stay, and hear what he had up his sleeve, but he was past peak time, and that's what I had come to hear.

It looks like Digweed is taking a more proggy direction, after the tech influenced last years. The Cordoba CD was a lot more proggy than I had expected.
========================================
Wonderful to see so many faces, from days past! I didn't get a chance to talk to many of you, but just seeing you out was quite comforting, and exciting.

Saturday showed me, that I'm pretty much done with clubbing. It will have to be and old school DJ or bust, to get me back more often. Thankfully we are going to have more day time parties this summer, which I am very much looking forward to.

Old Post May-14-2012 23:08  India
Click Here to See the Profile for Orko Click here to Send Orko a Private Message Add Orko to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

tranceaddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Canada > Canada - Toronto & Southern Ont. > Review John "GOD" Digweed
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (7): « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread