Become a part of the TranceAddict community! Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
tranceaddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > How to deal with GAS
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Rodri Santos
Supreme tranceaddict

well i bought a mixer, used it 2 times and wrapped it again , 3 months ago i gave it to a friend who was starting to dj, since that i only buy things that i am sure i'll use them for at least some years, never tried to sell it even when i was sure that i'd not use it

My New Set Peak Time Club Techno

Beatport Top 10 Chart April

Old Post May-25-2012 22:15  Spain
Click Here to See the Profile for Rodri Santos Click here to Send Rodri Santos a Private Message Add Rodri Santos to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
cryophonik
Lunik Fanatik

The way I dealt with GAS in the past is to just buy shit, use it until I was bored with it, then sell it. BUT, I always made sure that I bought low and sold high. It was never a problem until I decided to reduce the footprint of my studio, at which point I made a decision to stick with a minimum number of synths/hardware, and make a conscious effort to curb my GAS with self-restraint. My GAS has been in remission for a long time now and I hope it stays that way.

Another way that I've dealt with it (especially since having a kid) is to tell the wife whenever I'm thinking of buying something on an impulse. She knows how hard I work at my job and how much it means to me to have a studio at home, so she doesn't actively discourage me from buying things, but if I tell her that I'm considering buying something relatively expensive (several hundred dollars or more) just out of the blue, she'll question the purchase and pretty much make me reconsider how badly I really need or want it. She's much better at sticking to a long-term plan than I am, and she knows about the few big ticket items that I would like to own/replace, so she keeps my impulse buying in check.

SAS (software acquisition syndrome) is a different beast because software typically doesn't retain its value, so the solution is not as easy as just buying/selling at a profit, or at least, no net loss. I used to just buy everything cool on a whim without demoing. The way I've dealt with that in recent years is to make sure that I demo everything before buying. I'd guess that at least 50% of the time, the new software toy isn't as cool or useful as I think it will be. Also, if I demo something that is cool, but I don't see any imminent need or use for it, I just put it on the "wait until it shows up on KRV Market Place for dirt cheap" list.

Anyway, enough rambling. The bottom line is that, regardless of the way you deal with it, you need to learn to exercise self-restraint.

Sonar X3 | Pro Tools 11 | Logic Pro X | Access Virus TI2 Keyboard | Kurzweil PC3X | DSI Mopho X4 | NI Maschine

Old Post May-25-2012 23:26  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for cryophonik Click here to Send cryophonik a Private Message Visit cryophonik's homepage! Add cryophonik to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
itsamemario
Italian Plumber

Chew your food better.

Old Post May-25-2012 23:35 
Click Here to See the Profile for itsamemario Click Here to Email itsamemario Click here to Send itsamemario a Private Message Visit itsamemario's homepage! Add itsamemario to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Looney4Clooney
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by DJ RANN
Here's the problem then - you should try to make yourself understand that buying something you will not need - something essentially useless - even if it is related to your work and source of income, is not an investment, but a simple waste of money.

I think you're someone that understand efficiency, and this is the polar opposite.

Put yourself in the mindset that these things are actually obstacles to your final goal (you would spend less time on this crap, not to mention have more money to buy things that actually matter or at least things you really like to collect as a hobby such as scores or vintage mics or SS uniforms etc).

Your disassociation to money is because you can get paid large sums relatively quickly. If you've ever not been able to make rent or buy food, without any safety net, money gets valued as life (sadly). I've been there and will never go back - I grew up poor, but not wanting, and later when I left home there were a couple of times that were straight out of pursuit of happiness. That's always in the back of my mind and is at least a subconscious driver to where I have got today and my current holdings which are in pretty good shape. I'm not telling you lose everything, just think about how shit it would be if you did, and use that to make sure it never happens. You also certainly have a taste for the finer things and think what it would be like to never have access to those things; it will give you some perspective about hanging on to money and wanting long term assets such as a house (or several) a business. It's not about material things, it's about stability and quality of life.

i've been poor. But i suppose it was a choice. My parents could of sent me money but i was too proud to ask. I've used food banks while in school then just started shoplifting food because the foodbanks didn't carry the sort of meat i wanted. But ya , that feeling you speak of, i have never really had it. Everyone in my family has a masters + and all make money.

But my parents came here with nothing and growing up, a coke was like a special event. I remember how we were trained to only ever ask for water if we went out. Violin lessons and piano lessons sure,, but i never had an allowance. Never received any money actually as a teenager. I think that is normal anywhere else but in NA , kids just don't work until like 18. So their parents subsidize their fucking around.

My soccer shoes were always used and i was on the montreal regional soccer team which was well the highest you go before going pro and like my shoes were worth 15$. I remember my coach buying me shoes and dad got so offended because the point was that he could of bought rocket boots if he wanted, but the lesson was that i didn't need them. What a dick. lol. My hockey helmet was this piece of shit orange thing painted black but of course the black would show spots of orange. That kind of shit as a kid can make you an easy target which i think is why i have pretty thick skin. But ya , not poor, just jew like in their spending.

I think I need to just stop looking. If i need something , then it will be self evident, and i will go look for a solution.

And my tastes are actually not that great. I don't care for good food or drink. My girlfriend is just a spoiled brat. I mean food for me is just not important. I think in my undergrad, i had a rotation of 3 meals for 4 years. it was healthy, had all the required veggies but ya, i just dont' care about food at all.

Last edited by Looney4Clooney on May-26-2012 at 00:41

Old Post May-26-2012 00:30 
Click Here to See the Profile for Looney4Clooney Click here to Send Looney4Clooney a Private Message Add Looney4Clooney to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
MSZ
satur8

If you kill yourself your GAS will stop.

Old Post May-26-2012 01:57  Poland
Click Here to See the Profile for MSZ Click here to Send MSZ a Private Message Add MSZ to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Looney4Clooney
Supreme tranceaddict

wouldn't happen. Well , never say never. But , if i were to end it, i would take out as many bankers and politicians as possible. I mean i would make it my mission. Like train with an ex navy seal. Go on a killing spree. Honestly i think with the right training, and a clear mind, you could really do some damage. But i'm talking about like very strategic killing. None of this columbine bullshit. ACtually, if i knew i had 6 months to live, this is what i would do. Basically, i'm Gerard Butler.

Old Post May-26-2012 02:29 
Click Here to See the Profile for Looney4Clooney Click here to Send Looney4Clooney a Private Message Add Looney4Clooney to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Evolve140
Only Sidechaining a Bit

How to deal with GAS.

Go on a killing spree.

Old Post May-26-2012 03:26  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Evolve140 Click here to Send Evolve140 a Private Message Add Evolve140 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Looney4Clooney
Supreme tranceaddict

you know what tho

i would be GAS with my guns and equipment. And the training. I imagine 1 year to prepare for suicide. Sniper training, explosives, the time to profile all my targets, and of course someone to write the screen play. I think if you killed 4 high ranking officials and made it known, you would cause a frenzy. oh and the cast of jersey shore. Except the one guy that wasn't such a douche. Can't even remember his name. Not the steroid guy, not situation, not pauly dee. He can live.

Old Post May-26-2012 03:59 
Evolve140
Only Sidechaining a Bit

"screen play"

This should help you avoid legal problems talking about going on a killing spree.

hey man, I was just talking about a movie I want to make.

Old Post May-26-2012 04:18  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Evolve140 Click here to Send Evolve140 a Private Message Add Evolve140 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mel David
Supreme tranceaddict

GASing is natural genetic behavior which we have inherited from our prehistoric ancestors who had to hunt/gather food daily in order to survive.
The retail magnates know this and have built massive shopping complexes for humans to conveniently satisfy this constant craving, in order to make them even more wealthy.

One tactic to overcome gas is to replace it with a similar feeling of having 'gathered'. eg. be a player and get as much tail as you can. Since you have a GF, you can't do this, but you could try instructing your GF to resist all your advances. Now getting laid will take priority in your mind, over your wanting to get that new toy.

Also look in the possibility that certain chemicals may be inducing your craving. Caffeine is known to have this effect.

Me, I've been producing music as a hobby for more than a decade but still haven't been able to make anything truly release-worthy so I still gas for equipment or software that I think will help get me there.

[quote="Oscar Wilde"]
The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself.[/quote]

I yielded. I would yield even more, but my PayPal is empty.

Old Post May-27-2012 05:04  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for Mel David Click Here to Email Mel David Click here to Send Mel David a Private Message Visit Mel David's homepage! Add Mel David to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

tranceaddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > How to deal with GAS
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (2): « 1 [2]  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread